Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

OxMan posted:

Anything to look out for or any other wazhack tips?

I've not spent much time with this, and what little I did was back before he started charging for it, but the game is very heavily based on nethack, so the identification system is likely similar, along with monsters, intrinsics, etc.

Last time I tried it, I reached a certain depth and a pop-up told me I had to pay to go deeper. Immediately uninstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Please do concern yourself with application performance when making roguelikes when possible, it significantly impacted my enjoyment of ToME until I finally wised up and got an SSD + non-AMD processor.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Getting CoQ to work actually took a non-trivial amount of performance work. Paging a continuous world in and out, efficient pathfinding when replicating monsters got out of control, etc...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Short bug report for Sproggiwood.

The game froze twice so far while loading the last floor of the big tree. Each time it happened when populating reached 61%. Though, it didn't freeze in the pure sense, but got stuck on that point with music still going.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

Short bug report for Sproggiwood.

The game froze twice so far while loading the last floor of the big tree. Each time it happened when populating reached 61%. Though, it didn't freeze in the pure sense, but got stuck on that point with music still going.

Yeah, fixed that one last night, it'll be in the next push to steam.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Hito,

Unormal posted:

Smartymans :words: about game development

Yeah he pretty much nailed it. I would recommend going with Unity myself, there's tutorials everywhere-- you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a pile of videos explaining whatever topic you need science on. Even if you don't watch videos (I don't) there's easily googable answers to about everything. You'll use C# for the code you write, which is smart because it's a good language, easyish to pick up and powerful too. You can get a menu simulator running in a day, even with rusty code skills.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Please do concern yourself with application performance when making roguelikes when possible, it significantly impacted my enjoyment of ToME until I finally wised up and got an SSD + non-AMD processor.

From where he's (assuming male gender for simplicity) coming from, i.e. basically zero programming experience,, the #1, #2, and #3 sources of performance problems are going to be bad algorithms, bad algorithms, and bad algorithms, respectively. The performance of the library he uses is absolutely not going to be a problem; every remotely reputable library will be capable of handling his needs. So what he needs to focus on is learning to program and to write algorithms that are reasonably efficient. It doesn't much matter what language he uses for that task so long as he does it, so he should pick the system that lets him focus on what he wants to do with a minimum of boilerplate or random poo poo he doesn't care about.

I don't know what's going on with ToME, but the author has enough programming experience that he really ought to be able to write performant games by now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ToME's problem is mostly just a completely ad hoc logging system that isn't so much a system as random print()s to the tune of 50 MB per hour when things are going right. Pipe stdout to /dev/null or make the log file read only and it's vastly more responsive.

I just started a new game, played the first level of my starting dungeon, and ended up with a 300 KB log file that got cut off midsentence by exiting the game normally.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 2, 2014

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
There's got to be more to it than that - you're not seriously suggesting writing 50Mb/hour is any kind of drain on a modern PC's CPU or HDD. Could be unbuffered and executing on the main thread or something similarly stupid I suppose. Even then I wouldn't have thought it would be a major issue.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

..btt posted:

There's got to be more to it than that - you're not seriously suggesting writing 50Mb/hour is any kind of drain on a modern PC's CPU or HDD. Could be unbuffered and executing on the main thread or something similarly stupid I suppose. Even then I wouldn't have thought it would be a major issue.

It's not buffered at all and literally just random print()s mixed in with normal execution. 50 mb/hour doesn't sound like a lot til it's being written straight to disk one line at a time. Probably not the only performance issue, but it's one of if not the biggest.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 2, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

..btt posted:

Stupid logging can absolutely be a drain on performance. It can effectively make multithreaded programs into singlethreaded ones (as the threads have to block on access to the logger), you can waste a surprising amount of effort on generating strings even if they're never output, and, yes, a lack of buffering will really kill you. Modern CPUs are 10 times faster than they were a decade ago, but all that really means is that we can find new ways to be stupidly wasteful of our power.

Since Dis says that redirecting to /dev/null (i.e. saying "I don't care about this content, don't bother to store it") fixes performance, presumably it's primarily a buffering issue in this case.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

..btt posted:

I've not spent much time with this, and what little I did was back before he started charging for it, but the game is very heavily based on nethack, so the identification system is likely similar, along with monsters, intrinsics, etc.

Last time I tried it, I reached a certain depth and a pop-up told me I had to pay to go deeper. Immediately uninstalled it.

Yeah that's how it's set up. Free to try, then you can buy whatever classes you want (2 for a dollar) which you can take to the end of the game. All of my deaths are from 300+ depth doors/sewers that spawn too many mobs around me being lvl 6 or 7. I don't activate them manually, so what can I do here? I'm actually really happy one person replied because in the last 94 pages the game was brought up thrice, with no one replying anything. I think it's a really fun RL with hands down the best phone RL UI I've played so far. Just not sure what to do when I'm lvl 7 and walk past a door that brings Dwarf/troll lords after me.

I so far only have the Knight/valk combo but I'm open to other playstyle suggestions/tips.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 3, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tried Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup after reading Jordan7hm's LP, and I promptly died three times. One character even got to level 2! I think I really underestimate how often I need to run away in this game. Still a bunch of fun, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rotten Cookies posted:

Tried Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup after reading Jordan7hm's LP, and I promptly died three times. One character even got to level 2! I think I really underestimate how often I need to run away in this game. Still a bunch of fun, though.

Play Mifi or MiBe or GrFi or GrBe or something. I know being a cat or an octopus is cool but seriously just do it!!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Gladiator is better than Fighter, generally speaking; it's a much smoother and easier start since you don't have heavy armour and a big shield hampering your attacks and evasion. Aside from that, yeah, Minotaur and Gargoyle are the easiest possible choices if you want to play a dedicated melee scrapper. Minotaur gains combat skills absurdly fast and is quite tough in general, whereas Gargoyle is just functionally immune to drat near everything.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

OxMan posted:

Just not sure what to do when I'm lvl 7 and walk past a door that brings Dwarf/troll lords after me.

I so far only have the Knight/valk combo but I'm open to other playstyle suggestions/tips.

From what little I remember, the transition to side-scroller means it's far harder to out-manoeuvre enemies like you can in nethack, so I ended up standing around healing quite a bit (a strategy that will quickly get you killed in nethack). Valk should be a very strong class due to starting gear though. Perhaps wizard would give you a lot more tactical options? Maybe you're descending too quickly? In nethack trolls revive so you should eat their corpses immediately after killing them if they work the same way.

Also, new-to-crawl guy, there is a very active crawl thread in games, you might want to check it out :)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Just a heads up: Dreadmor is in this week's humble bundle. $1 for a steam key or $any for the DRM free download. Includes the DLC.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I got it the last time it was in a humble bundle. It's a flawed game and way overrated but it's still worth a buck. It's also stone cold easy once you know how to break it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, if you're reading this thread you really aren't its target audience and will be bored out of your mind pretty quick. I haven't played any of the dlc but the base game hands out pretty much all of its content very early on and then makes you slog through another 6 hours of huge maps and slow animations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a command to speed up animations, and you can stack it to the point where the delays aren't really noticeable any more. But yeah, it's not a complex game, and crafting is maddening due to inventory constraints. It's worth a dollar though, just to wreck face for a bit and enjoy the flavor text. And I really dig the character generation system.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at least the wizardlands dlc makes crafting not a chore anymore

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

at least the wizardlands dlc makes crafting not a chore anymore

it's still terrible, just not as terrible as it was before.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

andrew smash posted:

I got it the last time it was in a humble bundle. It's a flawed game and way overrated but it's still worth a buck. It's also stone cold easy once you know how to break it.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, if you're reading this thread you really aren't its target audience and will be bored out of your mind pretty quick. I haven't played any of the dlc but the base game hands out pretty much all of its content very early on and then makes you slog through another 6 hours of huge maps and slow animations.

I actually hadn't ever played it and was considering buying it when I got home (i.e., now). I had only really considered it because it was in the OP; I had ignored it up until I read this thread. Good to know. Thanks!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you decide to play it turn on no time to grind, it shrinks the maps to a (more) tolerable size

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

andrew smash posted:

If you decide to play it turn on no time to grind, it shrinks the maps to a (more) tolerable size

That and speed up animation with the '-' key. or was it +.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Gladiator is better than Fighter, generally speaking; it's a much smoother and easier start since you don't have heavy armour and a big shield hampering your attacks and evasion. Aside from that, yeah, Minotaur and Gargoyle are the easiest possible choices if you want to play a dedicated melee scrapper. Minotaur gains combat skills absurdly fast and is quite tough in general, whereas Gargoyle is just functionally immune to drat near everything.

An axe wielding HoBe is the best IMO, Gargoyle is too easy and lets you ignore lots of stuff every other loadout has to worry about (well, maybe that's a plus). Minotaur is a class for when you want to go melee but don't know what kind of weapon you'll get, as a Berserker you're guaranteed a weapon from Trog (and axes are the best) and Ho is better with axes and more flexible in general outside of other weapon skills

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 5, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Cool! That LP is so old that I'm not sure much of it is still relevant.

Definitely try out a berserker. They're the easiest class through the first rune or two. Just make sure you isolate the big bads before you berserk them down. The last thing you want is to run out of steam after a huge kill and get plinked to death by a windshield monster.

Dredmor talk: cool game, way too long even on NTTG. Died to the boss and haven't really played it since.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Dredmor hate :(

It introduced me to the genre and led me to Brogue, Qud and Crawl, and I still play it from time to time. Definitely not without its flaws (crafting and general inventory management could be hella improved), but it's genuinely hilarious and the devs are good people. For a dollar, you're a fool to not at least have it in your library. At a minimum, the soundtrack is fantastic.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 24, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dreadmore is fine, this crew is just super hardcore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jordan7hm posted:

Dredmor talk: cool game, way too long even on NTTG. Died to the boss and haven't really played it since.

you didn't really miss much, the boss is basically a crapshoot and whether or not you'll be able to kill it is entirely dependent on whether or not you stocked up on enough nuke projectiles or some poo poo. either that or use a couple of specific skills that you might not have taken the trees for.

just never engage it in melee. (of course, i think they made the boss even harder so hooray for that i guess)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

is this a zombie guy

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

you didn't really miss much, the boss is basically a crapshoot and whether or not you'll be able to kill it is entirely dependent on whether or not you stocked up on enough nuke projectiles or some poo poo. either that or use a couple of specific skills that you might not have taken the trees for.

just never engage it in melee. (of course, i think they made the boss even harder so hooray for that i guess)

Magical Law really owns the boss. Actually Magical Law in general is just full of bonkers-good spells, but among the many things it does well is let you trivialize the boss. With Writ of Counterspelling and a Mirror Shield you reflect almost all attack spells (all spells if you have any more reflect like Ancestral Body Paint). Then with Rune of Objection, you throw the acid debuff or vortex debuff back at him. If memory serves the only spell he actually has that can hit you through this is the voltaic one, so just pack a ton of that resist and engage him with water or some open-air obstacle between him and you.

As far as Dredmor goes: I think it did a very excellent part in helping to spark off the Roguelike Renaissance. Is it still worth playing today? Kind of. I think it's got enough game in it for people to try to beat it once on NTTG with highly sped up animations. Having beaten the game on 15 floor going rogue permadeath, I don't think I'll pick up Dredmor again aside from showing it to friends or streaming it or some such. It's an excellent starter roguelike though, not just because of the friendly graphics and such but because it gives you the first skill from each tree right when you start! That's seven honking skills your character starts with. It's something I think more roguelikes would do well to emulate, it's wonderful to start with a character feeling like you've had a lot of personal choice invested in it already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely think dredmor is worth it, especially at the price it's at now and the relatively low price it's probably at in general even if there's not a big sale going on. most of the really good parts of it aren't gameplay-related, which is unfortunate, but i genuinely would recommend it for someone who hasn't played it yet. it's just...really easy to get burnt out on it due to the tediousness. the game made a lot of cool aesthetic choices and i loved the art/music to death but eventually i just kind of wondered what i could play to give me more of a 'fulfilling' experience in the same frame of time spent on it. the good part is that the devs are working on something else entirely that promises to be fairly successful, so it's not like their livelihood is based entirely on squeezing more sales out of dredmor. (pick it up anyways if you haven't)

new game they're working on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503803

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I could get a refinement on Dredmor's skill system in a game that isn't otherwise all style and no substance I'd probably play the poo poo out of it for a while.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dis astranagant posted:

If I could get a refinement on Dredmor's skill system in a game that isn't otherwise all style and no substance I'd probably play the poo poo out of it for a while.

I've been saying this for a long time.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i definitely think dredmor is worth it, especially at the price it's at now and the relatively low price it's probably at in general even if there's not a big sale going on. most of the really good parts of it aren't gameplay-related, which is unfortunate, but i genuinely would recommend it for someone who hasn't played it yet. it's just...really easy to get burnt out on it due to the tediousness. the game made a lot of cool aesthetic choices and i loved the art/music to death but eventually i just kind of wondered what i could play to give me more of a 'fulfilling' experience in the same frame of time spent on it. the good part is that the devs are working on something else entirely that promises to be fairly successful, so it's not like their livelihood is based entirely on squeezing more sales out of dredmor. (pick it up anyways if you haven't)

new game they're working on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503803

haha, right there in the first few posts is a smugpost about how roguelikes are too hard but dredmor made them "accessible"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

andrew smash posted:

haha, right there in the first few posts is a smugpost about how roguelikes are too hard but dredmor made them "accessible"
That post mentions Dwarf Fortress - he might be referring to how obnoxious it is to use the interface and learn all the pitfalls.. Nethack is just as bad.

Haven't played Dredmor though so I don't know what he's comparing it to.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 6, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Solid expectations for this one, Claustrophobia, coming to Early Access in the near future after what was pretty much a rather thorough ground-up rewrite/retry of the entire thing---original version of it was quite Dredmor'ish, new version still has some of that going but a fair bit otherwise:

http://claustrophobia-game.com/

The dev has been busting out lots of long explanations and wranglings on the devtumblr---can't really say a fair bit of thought and effort isn't being put into the thing being far better than the earlier incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Awesome now I just need to remember where I bought it from to get my key. I've talked about that game before and people around here thought it was dumb for him to restart and that it would never be finished. Glad to see that's not the case.