Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

That's pretty much how it was said when it was originally written, but then Spanish had some sound changes.

I'm not a linguist, but I believe that "x" represented a voiceless velar fricative in sixteenth century Spanish away from the voiceless postalveolar fricative that it had been in the past, so even in 1605 Don Quixote was closer to the current pronunciation than it would have been to "Don Quichotte."

An actual example of the change in pronunciation despite the spelling would be "México" or the now obsolete "exército," which became "ejército."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Texas, too. Reformed Spanish uses a J there instead.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

King Hong Kong posted:

I'm not a linguist, but I believe that "x" represented a voiceless velar fricative in sixteenth century Spanish away from the voiceless postalveolar fricative that it had been in the past, so even in 1605 Don Quixote was closer to the current pronunciation than it would have been to "Don Quichotte."

Cervantes wrote Don Quixote during the Early Modern period of Spanish, which would be probably after the sounds spelled as "x" and "j"/"g" had merged (along with the "c"/"ç" and "z" pair), but probably before the realization of the resulting sound shifted back to the velar position.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Texas, too. Reformed Spanish uses a J there instead.

I don't know enough about the origins of the word Texas to know whether the word was ever pronounced "Teshas" as opposed to "Techas/Tejas," while Mexico had been pronounced like "Meshico" before the pronunciation shifted in the sixteenth century.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't know enough about the origins of the word Texas to know whether the word was ever pronounced "Teshas" as opposed to "Techas/Tejas," while Mexico had been pronounced like "Meshico" before the pronunciation shifted in the sixteenth century.

The Caddo word it's borrowed from is "táyshaʔ", so it almost certainly did have a "sh" in it at some point.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So, how DO you pronounce all these? Specifically "Khan" and "quixote".

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks > politically-loaded pronunciations

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

You basically ignore the K in Khan. It's sort of halfway between Han and Hun in pronunciation. Khagan (Great Khan) you almost totally elide the g as well, so it ends up being Ha-an.

Similarly, Khanate is literally pronounced something like Han-aht.

Of course, it's usually easier to just use the older English pronunciation. It's just worth knowing that, for example, if someone pronounces the Ilkhanate "Eel-Han-aht" that they're referring to what you might call the "Ill-Khan-ate."

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 4, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Redeye Flight posted:

Quixote: Key-hote-ay

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Quixote is key-hote-ay like Peanut President says, but the word quixotic entered the English language from people who didn't know how to pronounce Quixote, so they figured the x was a cks sort of sound like in the word tax. As such, the adjective quixotic is properly pronounced as quick-sotic, despite the name Don Quixote being pronounced key-hote-ay. It's a weird little thing, but if someone is saying it as key-hote-ic then they probably have never used the word aloud before and only seen it in print. Of course if enough people start saying key-hote-ic then that'd be correct too, but right now there's a strange disconnect between the adjective quixotic which is based on Quixote but pronounced totally differently.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

fermun posted:

It's a weird little thing, but if someone is saying it as key-hote-ic then they probably have never used the word aloud before and only seen it in print.
Welp, that's me then!

I also pronounced 'plague' as 'plagoo' when I was much younger, to the eternal amusement of my dad. :saddowns:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
In portuguese you pronounce Quixote more or less like the french, and "Mexico" as "Meshico", any connection there with older spanish?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know Meshico is the original Nahuatl pronunciation.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There are a fair few languages (I know Lithuanian is like this off hand) which require that nouns have certain endings, so you pretty much have to modify your name slightly in order for it to make sense. There was an issue a few years ago when Lithuania banned the use of Polish letters on Lithuanian passports which annoyed the Polish minority since they pretty much had to change their name in order to get formal ID. When I was there for my random month basic language course, we ended up Lithuanianising our names and I ended up with "Kalumas", which probably is still a bit of a silly name anyway. Its one of the things that make other languages interesting, and that's something that I only learned last year...

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

Welp, that's me then!

I also pronounced 'plague' as 'plagoo' when I was much younger, to the eternal amusement of my dad. :saddowns:

Maybe you were just born to be a Starcraft commentator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpuv7VPb2rA

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Falukorv posted:

In portuguese you pronounce Quixote more or less like the french, and "Mexico" as "Meshico", any connection there with older spanish?

Old Spanish and (old) Galician-Portuguese both shared the same crowded set of seven sibilant consonants, which they wrote the same way:
/ts/, written with c (before e or i) or ç
/dz/, written with z
/s/, written with ss (between vowels) or s
/z/, written with s (between vowels)
/ʃ/ (the English "sh" sound), written with x
/ʒ/ (the sound in English "vision"), written with g (before e or i) or j
/tʃ/ (the English "ch" sound), written with ch

Sound changes in the two languages over the subsequent centuries have reduced the number of these sounds, but in different ways. Spanish merged all of the voiced sounds with their unvoiced equivalents (i.e. /dz/ > /ts/, /z/ > /s/, /ʒ/ > /ʃ/), and then moved the resulting sounds around a bit: former /ʃ/ is obviously today pronounced /x/ (a "kh"-like sound) or /h/, and former /ts/ is now /θ/ (a "th"-like sound, and the source of the "Castilian lisp") or merged with /s/ (as in most Latin American dialects).

Portuguese kept the voiced and unvoiced sounds distinct, but in most dialects former /ts/ has merged into /s/, former /dz/ has merged into /z/, and former /tʃ/ has weakened to /ʃ/. At the end of syllables, the whole system seems to have collapsed into just one sound, realized in different ways depending on the surrounding phonetic environment.

One final quirk is that Portuguese continues to spell its sibilants more or less according to the medieval rules, while Spanish got rid of ç, ss and most instances of x in spelling reforms in the 1700s and 1800s.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

There are a fair few languages (I know Lithuanian is like this off hand) which require that nouns have certain endings, so you pretty much have to modify your name slightly in order for it to make sense. There was an issue a few years ago when Lithuania banned the use of Polish letters on Lithuanian passports which annoyed the Polish minority since they pretty much had to change their name in order to get formal ID. When I was there for my random month basic language course, we ended up Lithuanianising our names and I ended up with "Kalumas", which probably is still a bit of a silly name anyway. Its one of the things that make other languages interesting, and that's something that I only learned last year...

What's the story behind this? Are Poland and Lithuania enemies? Wouldn't they be friends, what with the Catholicism, historical ties and hatred of the Russians between them?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don't exactly know 100%: they weren't the best of friends in the inter-war years after the Polish invaded Vilnius (which is the traditional Lithuanian capital, albeit at the time majority Polish) but its not like they are threatening to declare war on each other or are having any loud arguments. I can't remember exactly what happened 100% since it came up in a class I did last semester , but i think that the Lithuanian supreme court ruled that names on passports had to be Lithuanianised, which caused political tensions since its not something that particularly pleased the Polish minority. Its not like its a big political issue like minority rights still kinda are in the other Baltic states and the Polish community is generally rather integrated, but you do naturally get conflicts which upset the group in question and cause the Polish government to say something.

e: The Baltic States are all very big on defending their own languages, especially since Latvia and Estonia came close to being 50% Russian speakers before the collapse of the USSR. Makes sense, since every other state in Europe has done the same in their time

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I don't think the author of that image quite knows what the word annexed means.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stalin sure loved Ukraine!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Separatist maps of Ukraine Russia:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Lord Hydronium posted:

"Hobo Russia"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's really weird when you realize you can recognize the words Ukrania and Novorossiya without actually "knowing" Cyrillic.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Someone please make a map of "Territories annexed to Russia by Mongolia", thanks in advance.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Someone who first translated Cyrillic to Latin letters thought the Russian h sound was really rough, and so decided to make a special diphthong of kh- to describe it. But actually it's just a slightly strong h sound, which is expressed in Cyrillic with the character X. This also goes for other languages that use Cyrillic alphabets, such as Mongolia. Thus the k in khan ('Хан' in Mongolian) and in many Russian names should not be pronounced. It's a stupid diphthong and it should be abolished.

Funny story, Texas is spelled almost identically in Cyrillic (Техас), but pronounced with an h sound instead of an x, and phonetically so.

twoday fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I applaud to you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

kalstrams posted:

I applaud to you.

You would.

Who ruled the region around Kiev before 1654? The Golden Horde still? Poland-Lithuania? I'm fuzzy with my Eastern European timeline.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

You would.

I would indeed, you don't notice such things when you know a language that uses Cyrillic.

Edit: http://www.timemaps.com/history/europe-1648ad for your question.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 5, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Torrannor posted:

You would.

Who ruled the region around Kiev before 1654? The Golden Horde still? Poland-Lithuania? I'm fuzzy with my Eastern European timeline.

The Golden Horde was long gone in the 16th century. The PLC held it and had done since the mid 1300s (though obviously not in the form of Poland-Lithuania). But but you see, Kievan Rus', etc. etc., kill all Ruthenians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am gonna put this here then:

... not that I can actually say what this 1681 map is saying since my Latin is at guessing level.

(Original from http://vkraina.com/en/maps#1681, which has much higher resolution and a bunch of
other maps which may or may not be politically loaded or biases)

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

BBJoey posted:

But but you see, Kievan Rus', etc. etc., kill all Ruthenians.

Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm curious because I'm from Serbia and we have the second largest population of Rusyns in the world but I don't know that much about their history.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

incrediblyshrinkingisrael.png

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SaltyJesus posted:

Could you expand on this a little bit? I'm curious because I'm from Serbia and we have the second largest population of Rusyns in the world but I don't know that much about their history.

Kiev used to be THE center of Russian civilization, before the Golden Horde rolled in, murdered everyone, and burned it to a cinder. It eventually came back to Russian control, but never again regained its preeminence. So Russians could semi-reasonably argue that Kiev and the environs has been a Russian place longer than it has any other ethnicity.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheBalor posted:

Kiev used to be THE center of Russian civilization, before the Golden Horde rolled in, murdered everyone, and burned it to a cinder. It eventually came back to Russian control, but never again regained its preeminence. So Russians could semi-reasonably argue that Kiev and the environs has been a Russian place longer than it has any other ethnicity.

Semi-reasonable is stretching it, as is calling it a center of "Russian civilization". It was the center of East Slavic civilization, before
the split of East Slavs into multiple cultures.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

OddObserver posted:

Semi-reasonable is stretching it, as is calling it a center of "Russian civilization". It was the center of East Slavic civilization, before
the split of East Slavs into multiple cultures.

Fair enough. Point is, it ties into the whole viewpoint of Russians as the leaders of all slavs, which tickles the nationalist bone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheBalor posted:

Fair enough. Point is, it ties into the whole viewpoint of Russians as the leaders of all slavs, which tickles the nationalist bone.

Yeah, they would certainly believe that.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Them duke boys are at it again! :argh: or am I missing something about the confederate flag there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blugu64 posted:

Them duke boys are at it again! :argh: or am I missing something about the confederate flag there
The flag of Novorossiya is very similar to the confederate flag, especially at that scale.