Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Crackbone posted:

Re: king of Toyko and New York, I haven't played New York yet, so I can't say if it's made Toyko obsolete. It does seem like it has more rules/bits, and I've seen some critiques that it doesn't add enough to justify the added complexity.

I've played a few games of KoNY. It's a tiny bit of added rules explanation, maybe 60 seconds of extra rules up-front. In return, there are more decisions, more interaction (you can damage monsters not in Manhattan when you're not in Manhattan), and it plays just as fast as KoT (if not a little faster). If I had both sitting on the shelf, I can't imagine ever choosing to play KoT over KoNY, even as a "babbies first boardgame".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Have any goons experienced Tragedy Looper? I read the synopsis and seen it was a decent hit at GenCon this year.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ETB posted:

Have any goons experienced Tragedy Looper? I read the synopsis and seen it was a decent hit at GenCon this year.

Did a play by post a while back of one of the introductory scenarios. There's a couple weird rule things in that game (I was working off a translated Japanese copy at the time), and I transcribed the "Goodwill Refusal" rule wrong, though it never came up.

Planning to launch another one soon. Just been busy with work and wedding planning lately.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally found the local gaming store in my town. As luck would have it they host a boardgame night tomorrow; but even luckier they had a sale on with all board game at 40% off :D

Most where cheaper than Amazon. I might have gone a bit overboard but I think I may have got even more if I didn't have to carry them all home on the bus. It was quite the arm full as it was:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Three very, very solid games! Awesome!

Do you have someone to play TS with?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Three very, very solid games! Awesome!

Do you have someone to play TS with?

Arkham Horror is quite solid too; feeling the weight of the box I could very easily beat someone to death with it :v:

I have a few people I could likely rope into playing Twilight Struggle with me. One friend isn't much into designer games (though he loves Agricola when I bring it over). We play Chess all the time so I think it will be an easy sell. It may be a difficulty deciding who gets to be the Soviets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love how in this thread a person can post a picture of four games, get a response calling three of them good and, despite no qualification to that statement whatsoever, it doesn't take any guesswork to figure out which game has been dissed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Farmers of the Moor isn't a game :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Farmers of the Moor isn't a game :v:

Oh I honestly didn't notice that was the xpac. Fine, two good games and a good expansion. :v:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Anyone got suggestions for good two-player games (either exclusively two-player or just good in two player)? She likes word games, but the ones we have aren't exactly ideal for two, and I prefer light-to-medium weight games, and am okay with dry abstracts or flavorful games, either way. I'm gonna see if she likes Netrunner (since I already own that stuff anyway after my other guys all fell through on that one).

In searching on this, I came across Agricola: All Creatures Great And Small. Anyone here tried it? I have not played the original, but it's apparently different anyway. The video reviews talk about the guts but it's hard to get a feel for if it's actually fun or not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tash Kalar has been the excellent suggestion for a while. It's on the dry abstract side.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Gutter Owl posted:

Did a play by post a while back of one of the introductory scenarios. There's a couple weird rule things in that game (I was working off a translated Japanese copy at the time), and I transcribed the "Goodwill Refusal" rule wrong, though it never came up.

Planning to launch another one soon. Just been busy with work and wedding planning lately.

Thanks for linking your PbP. Reading through it, the person demoing the game at Fanexpo last week gave us the victory through a rule error. He gave us a final guess, when we shouldn't have been given one.

In the demo game, we played through the first scenario, the same one as in the PbP. In our game, we managed to do a bit better than in the PbP, though a lot of that was because of the demoer going easy on us. In the first loop, we weren't really sure how things worked, and were mainly interested in just getting started, so we moved the Girl Student to the city, and got some goodwill on the Office Worker, only to have him kill her as the murderer on the second day. His role as the killer was revealed to us though.

On the second loop, we knew we wanted to keep the Girl Student away from the killer/murderer, so we instead opted to keep her in the school. That loop ended when the Boy Student was sent into the city, and the Shrine Maiden visited the school, killing the Girl Student.

For the third loop, we moved the police officer to the school, and decided to keep the Girl Student in there to protect her from the Office Worker and Shrine Maiden, but because we kept on playing forbid movement cards on her, her paranoia went up, and she committed suicide on the third day.

Sorry for the unexpected spoiler bars, but I wanted to share my experience with the game. I really enjoyed my time with the game. It's a type of game I don't think I'm good at, but I really would like to play again.

How many other games are there with similar asymmetric mindgaming/bluffing? I know Letters from Whitechapel is a one-vs-all game with hidden information, but I'm not sure it really provides the same opportunities for flat out bluffing.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Magnetic North posted:

Agricola: All Creatures [Big] And Small.

Basically if you want a super cut-down version of Gric that plays in significantly less time with none of the variance of the original unless you buy the building expansions (and even then all you're adding is four more potential buildings), then go for it.

Personally, I didn't enjoy it much, and I really like Agricola.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

I love how in this thread a person can post a picture of four games, get a response calling three of them good and, despite no qualification to that statement whatsoever, it doesn't take any guesswork to figure out which game has been dissed.

I've been posting here long enough to know which one was the odd man out :v:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
My wife is a big fan of Rivals of Catan which is a two player Catan offshoot where you each build a collection of towns with various building upgrades and stuff. It's Catan so it still uses dice, but it's pretty good and has some interesting expansions for it. You could also try Star Realms. It gets a mediocre response from the thread, but it's an extremely easy to pick up deck builder that plays pretty quickly.

As for Agricola: All Creatures Great And Small, it's also pretty fun. Personally I get beaten every time I play which is annoying, but it's a very tight version of Agricola that maintains the farming theme really well and doesn't take an age to put away.

Aside from those, I'd really recommend Legendary (Heroes, Villains or Alien Encounters) as they play really well at 2+, so you might get a little more more bang for your buck. We had a ton of fun getting completely obliterated by Legendary: Alien Encounters last weekend and while I have zero idea if it's even possible to win, the co-op was fun.

Tash-Kalar was a total flop for us, and if I could muster the effort I'd sell the hell out of it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

silvergoose posted:

Tash Kalar has been the excellent suggestion for a while. It's on the dry abstract side.

My friend and I have found the game to be more amusing if we treat it like a Yu-Gi-Oh duel.

"I BANISH YOU TO THE SHADOW REALM!"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ETB posted:

My friend and I have found the game to be more amusing if we treat it like a Yu-Gi-Oh duel.

"I BANISH YOU TO THE SHADOW REALM!"

This is how my GF and I play it, although shouting is reserved for the summoning of legendaries.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

Anyone got suggestions for good two-player games (either exclusively two-player or just good in two player)? She likes word games, but the ones we have aren't exactly ideal for two, and I prefer light-to-medium weight games, and am okay with dry abstracts or flavorful games, either way. I'm gonna see if she likes Netrunner (since I already own that stuff anyway after my other guys all fell through on that one).

In searching on this, I came across Agricola: All Creatures Great And Small. Anyone here tried it? I have not played the original, but it's apparently different anyway. The video reviews talk about the guts but it's hard to get a feel for if it's actually fun or not.

My wife really likes Lost Cities, Jaipur, and Dominion and they've all had a lot of staying power at our house. She also got really into Ticket to Ride, Morels, and Castles of Burgundy but we both eventually burned out on them.

She likes All Creatures Big and Small more than Agric (I feel the opposite) but she didn't really like either.

She doesn't care for abstracts but I love them and both Hive and Tash-Kalar are awesome 2p games.

She'll play the occasional game of Netrunner or 40k:Conquest with me but doesn't like them enough to learn all the cards and build her own decks which makes it hard for her to stay competitive with me -- I've had a bit more luck w/ the LotR LCG, since it's co-op I can build decks for both of us but it's a bit fiddly and pretty difficult so it's not one of her favorites.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
In our apt, my GF and I play mostly Castles of Burgendy, Tash Kalar, and Hanabi. When we have more people the go to is Dominant Species, which is not for everyone but me and my GF get pretty into it and we've now managed to get games under 3 hrs.

The total fails were Twilight Struggle and netrunner (it was the theme on both). We don't like playing Agricola as much as our friends but since our friends like it more we'll play. We both got into Brass and are looking forward to the next game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Seconding Japuir. My brother is not a huge fan of games in general and I hooked him hard on Jaipur.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Race for the galaxy was hands down my wife's favorite game of all time. It's a fantastic, fast playing game with depth that is almost unparalleled. It is competitive, but never in a destroy-each-others-poo poo kind of way.

The downside is that there are tons of icons you have to learn, and newcomers can't remotely compete with good players. If she's willing to stumble through a few rounds, it's a good choice. It expands to play with a bunch of folks, but there is a two player advanced version that is my favorite form of the game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

echoMateria posted:

I actually tried most of the dungeon crawlers already and never had any interest in the Mice and Mystics in the first place, the theme never got to me. Lately I've been hearing quite a number of complaints about its mechanics too.

I thought Dungeon Run might be a game of running through a dungeon, grabbing the orb and trying to run out pace your friends or slowly trampling on their dead bodies. Like a better version of Android: Infiltration. Does it really drag on? Reviews made it sound like it'd be fast and simple. Though I guess its all moot if Plaid Hat's not printing it again.

Dungeon Run is not a good game.

I bought it, thinking what you said - it would be a light fun game with a bit of semi co-op and betrayal.

It just doesn't really work. The characters aren't balanced, the gameplay itself isn't that compelling and the whole thing felt really unfulfilling. It's not that it drags on, it's that there's just not much game there to be had.

I played it half a dozen times, and the best thing I could say about it was that it was basically inoffensive. I sold it a month or two later to free up shelf space, just because the game didn't fill any particular niche.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

KamikazeJim posted:

Basically if you want a super cut-down version of Gric that plays in significantly less time with none of the variance of the original unless you buy the building expansions (and even then all you're adding is four more potential buildings), then go for it.

Personally, I didn't enjoy it much, and I really like Agricola.

Yeah, can't say that's anything I'd want at all. The variance is what makes Agricola more than just a generic farm-themed worker placement game, and if you cut that base game down besides? Ugh. I wish more two player spinoffs of Eurogames took the Rivals for/Starship Catan route where they're actually more complex and thematic and variable than the game they're based on.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Looking for some suggestion for a board game with animal theme, especially Elephant. This will be a birthday gift for a friend. She enjoy board games in general but her favorite is something like Munchkin or Catan. But the important thing is the theme (Elephant!).

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, and thanks!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Another Poster posted:

Looking for some suggestion for a board game with animal theme, especially Elephant. This will be a birthday gift for a friend. She enjoy board games in general but her favorite is something like Munchkin or Catan. But the important thing is the theme (Elephant!).

Zooloretto.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Another Poster posted:

There's also Formula E - a racing game with elephants as cars
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/135019/formula-e

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

If any animal is OK, I saw a cute game at GenCon where everyone has a monkey in front of them that is also a mini-catapault and in the middle of the table are a bunch of barrels arranged like beer pong cups that you're trying to fling coconuts into. It was silly and totes adorbs. Phone posting or I'd find the name for you, pretty sure MayDay published it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lawen posted:

If any animal is OK, I saw a cute game at GenCon where everyone has a monkey in front of them that is also a mini-catapault and in the middle of the table are a bunch of barrels arranged like beer pong cups that you're trying to fling coconuts into. It was silly and totes adorbs. Phone posting or I'd find the name for you, pretty sure MayDay published it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ETB posted:

Nope, but I've ordered it from online. So I hope to experience it next week if possible.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Lawen posted:

Yeah, it's called "Coconuts", which is originally a game from South Korea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trip Report: Wow! Mage Knight is absolutely fantastic. It's like they took the best pieces of every excellent board game and combined them all into some elegant whole. Whoever said this was Heroes of Might and Magic the board game was totally correct; the 3rd edition D&D min/maxer in me is swimming with the possibilities. I can not wait to get this on to the table with more people.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Impermanent posted:

This is how my GF and I play it, although shouting is reserved for the summoning of legendaries.

Me and my brother in just about any board game usually end up doing our best Dan Green impression and say "That ends my turn" occasionally.

Rutibex posted:

Trip Report: Wow! Mage Knight is absolutely fantastic. It's like they took the best pieces of every excellent board game and combined them all into some elegant whole. Whoever said this was Heroes of Might and Magic the board game was totally correct; the 3rd edition D&D min/maxer in me is swimming with the possibilities. I can not wait to get this on to the table with more people.

Did you play solo your first time through? I tried to play solo and i just found it kind of boring. I think it was the combination of not really understanding how the dummy player works ( i still don't :( ) not having sombody else to conversate with, plus the fact that i was having lovely luck which made things go really slowly, at least if i'm doing terribly with other people then sombody else can be having all the fun and it can be exciting by proxy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Did you play solo your first time through? I tried to play solo and i just found it kind of boring. I think it was the combination of not really understanding how the dummy player works ( i still don't :( ) not having sombody else to conversate with, plus the fact that i was having lovely luck which made things go really slowly, at least if i'm doing terribly with other people then sombody else can be having all the fun and it can be exciting by proxy.

I have been watching youtube videos and slowly going through the tutorial scenario. I didn't bother with a special dummy player I just played two heroes by myself; like how I played Pathfinder Cards solo. Here's the videos I have been using:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXWW1-9cuDs

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Magnetic North posted:

Anyone got suggestions for good two-player games (either exclusively two-player or just good in two player)? She likes word games, but the ones we have aren't exactly ideal for two
You could try and get in on the second printing of Paperback, I think they're still taking orders.

I will always recommend Tash-Kalar for 2-players but make sure your partner is ok with a) fantasy theme and art and b) having your entire board position destroyed every turn. It's a very odd game in some ways - some people see no theme in it, others think it has too much. Some people get frustrated with having too many options every turn, others complain they have none.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Race for the galaxy was hands down my wife's favorite game of all time. It's a fantastic, fast playing game with depth that is almost unparalleled. It is competitive, but never in a destroy-each-others-poo poo kind of way.

Same here, we have about 80 plays of it this year. The iconography is really oversold as a barrier imo - it's a deal breaker for a minority of people but most will be able to get their heads around it if the game is taught properly.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mage Knight solo is definitely something that opens up and becomes more enjoyable the better you get at the game. Don't beat yourself up if you're not killing cities your first few games.

The dummy player is not that complicated though! Every turn you flip 3 cards, if the last card matches a crystal colour you flip more cards (equal to number of crystals of that colour the dummy has). At the end of each day/night when you're cycling the card offers the Advanced Action card goes in to the dummy deck instead of the bottom of the advanced action deck and the dummy gains a crystal the same colour as the spell card that's being put on the bottom of the spell offer.

The only kind of unintuitive thing is that the dummy doesn't declare end of round until it starts a turn with an empty deck and you get one more turn after it does that - usually this gives you one more turn than you might think you would get.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 6, 2014

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Malloreon posted:

There's also Formula E - a racing game with elephants as cars
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/135019/formula-e

It sold out at most place or I can't find where to buy it :(. Look like what I was looking for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

( i still don't :( )
Dummy Player picks a Tactic randomly, after you pick yours. This is only for turn order, and for reducing your own tactics options.

During the Dummy's turn, it draws and immediately discards three cards. Then, it draws extra cards equal to the number of crystals it has that match the color of the top card. That's its whole turn. If the Dummy Player cannot draw even a single card, then it declares End of Round instead.

At the end of every round, the Dummy player adds the bottom card of the Advanced Move offer to its deck, and gains a crystal of that color.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dummy Player picks a Tactic randomly, after you pick yours. This is only for turn order, and for reducing your own tactics options.

During the Dummy's turn, it draws and immediately discards three cards. Then, it draws extra cards equal to the number of crystals it has that match the color of the top card. That's its whole turn. If the Dummy Player cannot draw even a single card, then it declares End of Round instead.

At the end of every round, the Dummy player adds the bottom card of the Advanced Move offer to its deck, and gains a crystal of that color.

Ah see i did everything except the last part, no wonder it felt like those 6 rounds went super fast and i didn't really get to do much. Doesn't help that i'm super liberal with taking wounds so i'll end up getting 4 wounds to kill somthing way over my head and have to end up doing nothing a whole lot to get rid of them so by the time i'be read to start moving/attacking alot again the round would be over.:v:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ah see i did everything except the last part, no wonder it felt like those 6 rounds went super fast and i didn't really get to do much. Doesn't help that i'm super liberal with taking wounds so i'll end up getting 4 wounds to kill somthing way over my head and have to end up doing nothing a whole lot to get rid of them so by the time i'be read to start moving/attacking alot again the round would be over.:v:

The dummy player actually tends to speed up as the game goes on because of the crystal accumulation.

Taking wounds is fine but I'd only take 3+ with a plan for getting rid of them soon - a nearby magical glade you can reach, the healing card in your hand and green mana, or if it's the last turn and they're all going to get shuffled back in the deed deck anyway. If you go take 4 wounds as your first action of the game you're probably in a bad spot for sure!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I don't do that for my first action or anything like that. I just impatient wanting to kill things and go "yeah i got plenty of attack cards, i'm gonna kill somthing" and then forget that you're suppose to BLOCK before you do damage so i end up going "oh i can't block AND kill him in the same turn, screw it i'll just take the damage" without really thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Just registered to go to Charcon in Charleston, WV. I hope its newb friendly since I haven't gotten to play as many games as I'd like.

• Locked thread