Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goferchan posted:

When's the last time we've seen a card with both Trample and Deathtouch and what was the rarity? I think that's a pretty unintuitive rules interaction for new players and I'm wondering if it's something they'd do below rare nowadays

Only card I could find with both Trample and Deathtouch. And that's extremely conditional.

It's not something they're ever likely to make again because of how un-intuitive the interaction is to new players and/or players who haven't seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

When's the last time we've seen a card with both Trample and Deathtouch and what was the rarity? I think that's a pretty unintuitive rules interaction for new players and I'm wondering if it's something they'd do below rare nowadays
No card has ever unconditionally had both. Cairn Wanderer sometimes has both, and both of the BG Garruks produce deathtouch tokens that can then get trample from their ults.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Nylea and her Bow combine to give creatures Deathtouch and Trample. Apart from the Garruks that's the closest thing I can think of to a conscious marrying of the two abilities.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Deathtouch and Trample individually are common enough singly on both creatures and combat tricks/enhancements that trying to keep it from coming up seems like a fool's errand. All it takes is one 13-year-old casting Necrobite on their Yavimaya Wurm at the lunch table and the false vacuum collapses.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It doesn't cost them anything not to put them on the same card. It's not like there's a wealth of cool design space they're giving up.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Crusaderking posted:

How did everyone's FNM go? I went 2-2 with mono-white heroic, which is far better than I thought I would do.

Ran Naya Hexproof for fun, went 2-2. Blow outs are pretty big at times with ghor clan and Boros charm. I also got blown out when my opponent went off pretty early and dropped in a sylvan primordial to blow up my single land. The deck definitely loses to its manabase more than to your opponent.

Seems like so many people are running mono green or mono green splash blue.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Crusaderking posted:

How did everyone's FNM go? I went 2-2 with mono-white heroic, which is far better than I thought I would do.

3-2 with Rock Stars, losing to RW Aggro/Devotion (had some cool tricks like using Legion's Initiative to bounce his creatures and get extra Fanatic of Mogis triggers) and Junk Midrange and beating Mono-U Devotion (my first in the last five times I've gone against the deck in competitive events), Rakdos Monsters, and some younger player's Golgari...deck? Had some stuff like Hero's Downfall and Whip of Erebos but also that Golgari 5/5 bug from Return to Ravnica.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

JerryLee posted:

Deathtouch and Trample individually are common enough singly on both creatures and combat tricks/enhancements that trying to keep it from coming up seems like a fool's errand. All it takes is one 13-year-old casting Necrobite on their Yavimaya Wurm at the lunch table and the false vacuum collapses.

It's not that they never want it to happen, it's that they don't want it to happen often. And it is pretty rare that 1) a creature will end up with both deathtouch and trample and 2) multiple blockers will be assigned to it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you play Minotaurs you can easily have your entire field with Trample+Deathtouch :black101:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Crusaderking posted:

4-0-1 Win-A-Box of Khans for me. Split the box with the other guy at the final table. That makes it two weeks in a row I've split a box of Khans at my LGS playing Mono-U.

Round 1: 2-0 against RUG. Kiora just isn't good enough against Mono-U, and post-board all his removal was red, so Master of Waves is just too much.
Round 2: 2-1 against B/W Midrange. Game 1 I just outraced his Pack Rats because he couldn't commit to the rat plan and kept wasting turns playing removal instead. I eventually won with Thassa. Game 2 I got Deicide-d early, and lost to Rats. Game 3 he played 2 Rams and no threats, and I just rode Bident, Thassa, and Domestication to victory. I actually forced him to attack with the 0/5 so I could swing in for lethal.
Round 3: 2-0 against Selesnya Hexproof. I've never seen just a G/W build of the deck, and I thought he was playing G/W Aggro until well into the 2nd game, and just had a weird build with Unflinching Courage in the mainboard. He got Courage onto a Witchstalker Game 2, but it just wasn't good enough with Thassa active.
Round 4: 2-0 against G/W Aggro. This is just too hard a matchup for them. Won both games pretty easily, and we still had half an hour left so we played two more post-board games for fun, both of which I won also. Tidebinder's just too good, and just having Negates and Dispels in hand for their Tactics and Advents and Charms makes it too hard to fight through.
Round 5: 1-1 against G/R Monsters. We agreed to split beforehand and played out two games for fun. G1 was surprisingly close and he got the kill at 1 life with a combination of Monstrous Polukranos to kill Master and Domri fight another dude to remove Thassa devotion. G2 I just curved out perfectly and had Rapid in hand for his desperate Stormbreath.

I'm gonna miss Mono-U when it leaves. Such a fun, powerful, synergistic deck.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
From a design perspective, I really like Mono-Blue Devotion. It's a great example of what I think deckbuilding should be like - some key splashy expensive cards that are reliant on synergy (Master, Bident, Thassa herself) and then lots of cruddy cards that make the synergistic cards function (every other permanent card in the deck). It hits the balance between "Wizards needs to make money somehow" and "every playable card is rare or mythic" quite nicely.

From a player's perspective, losing the game with next-to-no interaction available if your opponent curves out perfectly is delightfully unfun, and Master is such an overwhelmingly swingy card that some games feel like they ride solely on whether or not the player draws it.

I'm hoping there's still some scope for mono-blue after rotation, even given how much important stuff it loses. Heck, let's make it a bet:

:toxx: I will buy myself the smuggest picture of Jace I can find as my avatar if a Mono-Blue deck Top 8s Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir. :toxx:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ungulateman posted:

:toxx: I will buy myself the smuggest picture of Jace I can find as my avatar if a Mono-Blue deck Top 8s Pro Tour Khans of Tarkir. :toxx:

11AM on Monday will bring the card that makes you eat those words.

Maybe.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

It looks like all (well, most) of the major devotion enablers are rotating. I'm just not sure how Mono U is going to turn out without Cloudfin, Frostburn, and Nightveil.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

4-0-1 Win-A-Box of Khans for me. Split the box with the other guy at the final table. That makes it two weeks in a row I've split a box of Khans at my LGS playing Mono-U.

Round 1: 2-0 against RUG. Kiora just isn't good enough against Mono-U, and post-board all his removal was red, so Master of Waves is just too much.
Round 2: 2-1 against B/W Midrange. Game 1 I just outraced his Pack Rats because he couldn't commit to the rat plan and kept wasting turns playing removal instead. I eventually won with Thassa. Game 2 I got Deicide-d early, and lost to Rats. Game 3 he played 2 Rams and no threats, and I just rode Bident, Thassa, and Domestication to victory. I actually forced him to attack with the 0/5 so I could swing in for lethal.
Round 3: 2-0 against Selesnya Hexproof. I've never seen just a G/W build of the deck, and I thought he was playing G/W Aggro until well into the 2nd game, and just had a weird build with Unflinching Courage in the mainboard. He got Courage onto a Witchstalker Game 2, but it just wasn't good enough with Thassa active.
Round 4: 2-0 against G/W Aggro. This is just too hard a matchup for them. Won both games pretty easily, and we still had half an hour left so we played two more post-board games for fun, both of which I won also. Tidebinder's just too good, and just having Negates and Dispels in hand for their Tactics and Advents and Charms makes it too hard to fight through.
Round 5: 1-1 against G/R Monsters. We agreed to split beforehand and played out two games for fun. G1 was surprisingly close and he got the kill at 1 life with a combination of Monstrous Polukranos to kill Master and Domri fight another dude to remove Thassa devotion. G2 I just curved out perfectly and had Rapid in hand for his desperate Stormbreath.

I'm gonna miss Mono-U when it leaves. Such a fun, powerful, synergistic deck.

Are you posting from the future? Also what swanky LCS are you playing at that they give away boxes for winning FNM?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

First Bass posted:

Also what swanky LCS are you playing at that they give away boxes for winning FNM?

One that gives gently caress-all to everyone else, presumably.

Pretty much every FNM here has a box or more worth of prizes given out - they just tend to do it a little more equitably than winner-takes-all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I 4-0'd FNM with Affinity. Everyone locally is off control apparently and is playing Aggro. We had Boggles, infect, mono-black control infect, Nykthos Wave, 2 storm decks, bw tokens. Not a friendly meta for RG Tron but I felt good dusting off Affinity now that I'm not constantly facing down bolt snap bolt removal.

r1 UG Infect. He played a build with livewire lash. G1 I stuck an early steel overseer, landed a second one. He couldn't really attack into my now large weenie dudes. G2 he got a good smack for 6 poison in, but I stabalized with enough blockers to hold him off until I ground him out.

r2 UR Storm. Was a fairly straight forward race I got there first in g1, he shatterstorm'd me in g2, g3 he didn't have any hate.

r3 bw tokens. g1 he zealous persecution'd me, then had double hero of bladehold. g2 I hit his spectral possession with a whipflare. g3 I had a giant etched champion to finish things quick.

r4 Nykthos Wave, this is a friend of mine, and we tend to do well and play each other often. g1 I smacked him around with ensoul artifact and he didn't get anything relavent quick enough. g2 he ancient grudge'd my mox opal trying to mana stall me but It didn't help, I had a 2nd and ensoul'd again.

Ensoul artiface is really really good. I'm running it as a 2 of and it did a ton of work for me. I got 2 for 1'd but honestly several times I was able to get it out on a memnite or ornithopter t1, and got at least 1 swing for 5 in until they could deal with it. It isn't the biggest loss if you get at least a swing in. I feel it add another good hard to manage threat, and having more than 3 toughness really messes with peoples pre-board plans.

Afterward we drafted triple Ravnica. Some lucky bastard got a foil deathrite shaman. I got a pile of poo poo, ended up playing Abzan and went 2-1-1 split last round as I was up against 1st place got 4th.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Jabor posted:

One that gives gently caress-all to everyone else, presumably.

Pretty much every FNM here has a box or more worth of prizes given out - they just tend to do it a little more equitably than winner-takes-all.

I've only ever placed high enough twice at FNM to actually win anything but I'm pretty sure where I go gives a promo to 3rd and 4th, a promo and a pack to 2nd, and 2 or 3 packs and a promo to 1st. One random person outside of the top 4 gets a pack too. I don't place high enough with any regularity to be that bothered, not that I'm playing solely for prizes anyway. Don't think there's really much of anywhere else to go where I am anyway.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
You know, I really hope there's some sort of Mountain triland that taps for white, because I am going to hate to have to lose Chained to the Rocks in my primarily White W/R Heroic deck.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Wurzag posted:

I've only ever placed high enough twice at FNM to actually win anything but I'm pretty sure where I go gives a promo to 3rd and 4th, a promo and a pack to 2nd, and 2 or 3 packs and a promo to 1st. One random person outside of the top 4 gets a pack too. I don't place high enough with any regularity to be that bothered, not that I'm playing solely for prizes anyway. Don't think there's really much of anywhere else to go where I am anyway.

If your entry fee is more than zero dollars you're getting ripped off. I'm in down under, the land of expensive Magic, and FNM is 10 bucks with guaranteed prize support of one opened booster and one sealed booster (placement determining which open booster you get to pick).

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, if my shop did constructed events I'd feel ripped off if there was an entry fee without any decent prizes; either guaranteed or top heavy, but decent.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Wurzag posted:

Top 50% get prizes at mine. If there's 20 people, it might go 6,5,4,3,3,3,2,2,1,1. With top 4 still getting a promo each. 1.5 prize packs in the pool per person.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Yeah, mine's top 33% or so, and everyone gets a pack just for showing up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Control v Control draw on SCG. :allears:

Good. Enjoy Control v Control the rest of the day, suckers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's going to be a beautiful day when I rock up to Game Day with a control deck that has no Sphinx's Revelation in it (and proceed to fail horribly). :allears:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Thank God I am doing the SECOND most boring thing to do with MTG while watching this matchup, which was loading cards into Deckbox.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Chord for Hornet Queen with Purphoros on the battlefield. Please tell me R/G Chord is going to be A Thing after rotation. :allears:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

ungulateman posted:

Chord for Hornet Queen with Purphoros on the battlefield. Please tell me R/G Chord is going to be A Thing after rotation. :allears:
Not sure there's the manabase to support it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Froghammer posted:

Not sure there's the manabase to support it.

Yeah green is the one color that has no ramp or color fixing at all, good luck bud

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Cedric Phillips: :downs: Narset will be good in UWR control post-rotation! :downs:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ungulateman posted:

Cedric Phillips: :downs: Narset will be good in UWR control post-rotation! :downs:

What's the problem here

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Devor posted:

What's the problem here

It's a 6 mana 3/2 that needs to attack to do anything in a format with:

- Drown in Sorrow
- Anger of the Gods
- Elspeth
- Keranos

And gobs of other cards that either ruin it or are far superior to it. She's the epitome of win-more.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Devor posted:

What's the problem here

I'm guessing it's because Narset costs 6 mana, easily gets trumped in combat by creatures that cost half as much and doesn't win you the game that quickly even not counting those obstacles.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

She has first strike and casts instants from your deck for free. "Gets trumped in combat" is a bit of an overstatement.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I'm guessing it's because Narset costs 6 mana, easily gets trumped in combat by creatures that cost half as much and doesn't win you the game that quickly even not counting those obstacles.

Outside of Brimaz, the stuff you posted can't even be played in a UWR deck, and since he mentioned she could be a finisher in control, I can believe she'd be tried as a combo enabler of sorts. I'm not saying she's a great card for Standard (although we haven't even seen all the cards yet so who knows), just that she does something unique and there's potential there (on-board haste to have her swinging T5-6).

EDIT: Both players playing with lands in front on the SCG stream right now.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 6, 2014

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Lottery of Babylon posted:

She has first strike and casts instants from your deck for free. "Gets trumped in combat" is a bit of an overstatement.

She casts any nonland for free. Her getting one attack in is pretty crazy.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In order to cast stuff for free, she has to:

1. Attack
2. Not be blocked

It's really easy to block and kill her with dudes that cost half as much, so...

e: Missed that it's an attack trigger, and not just instants or sorceries. Guess I need to read the card more...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ungulateman posted:

I've been arguing that UG Prophet of Kruphix/Chord should be A Thing post-rotation, but adding red for Purphoros seems pretty :sicknasty:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

1. Attack

Fixed that for you. The trigger is on attack, not dealing damage.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

1. Attack
2. Not be blocked

It's really easy to block and kill her with dudes that cost half as much, so...

In a bizarre twist, I find myself defending Narset by pointing out she says "attacks", not "deals combat damage to a player".

She's still a 3/2 in a format that is almost certainly going to be dominated by cheap sweepers and creatures with 4 toughness, though. You're gambling on flipping other cards that compensate for spending 6 mana and making sure she survives. I'd rather cast an Elspeth in 90% of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I mean ya she isn't like crazy good but she can let you cast big spells for free if she swings once. She can let you get some awesome card advantage. It will be interesting to see how she gets used but if somebody finds a good way to use her, she seems like she can end games quickly. That attack trigger really is powerful.

• Locked thread