Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

Ooooh here's a good one.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2fh4z6/pregnant_with_twins_and_fiscally_terrified_401k/

$125k in student debt, bought a condo AND a "fixer upper" house that they can't afford to continue "fixer upper"-ing. Now she's pregnant with twins and needs to dip into their 401(k) to pay off their credit card.
But of course we can't sell the condo because :argh:CAPITAL GAINS TAXES:argh:. And won't sell the "fixer upper" because they're not done fixing it!(and can never afford to)

I don't think that's particularly bad. Sure, a few bumps in the road have made poo poo a bit sour, but she's generally pretty smart and eyes open about the whole thing. They don't want to sell due to capital gains (on a positive cash flow condo to boot) because all it would take is living there another year to not have to pay them... which is pretty good with money.

The top comment is kind of absurd. Pull the plug on the whole thing because you have 5k of credit card debt. Some people are allergic to debt to an absolute fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Nope buying two pieces of property in your early to mid 20s when you still have well over 100k in student loan debt is bad with money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Alright, if you say so.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The morning news reminded me of this one: I was in a sports bar in Nashville, TN when I overheard a guy tell his wife/girlfriend "They just upgraded me from the gold to the black card. We ain't white trash no mo!"

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nail Rat posted:

Nope buying two pieces of property in your early to mid 20s when you still have well over 100k in student loan debt is bad with money.

I resembled this remark until the 100k student loan debt part.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I lived in the Bay Area for ten years. There are countless places that aren't The City but are quite wonderful and with easy BART access and even views of the Bay that are relatively reasonable for rent. Oakland alone has numerous hip neighbourhoods. And if you don't want kids, your options are even better if you're willing to give up the idea that you're entitled to own your very own large appliances that nobody else gets to use ever ever.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
The tech hordes descended on Oakland three years ago, it's now BARELY cheaper than SF.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Old Fart posted:

And if you don't want kids, your options are even better if you're willing to give up the idea that you're entitled to own your very own large appliances that nobody else gets to use ever ever.

Do you mean...have roommates? Or?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The tech hordes descended on Oakland three years ago, it's now BARELY cheaper than SF.

Every person (grand total of 4) that has been to Oakland has been burgled or mugged. At least the techies are constantly getting robbed? That's bad with money, right?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I've got a doozy that just happened at work. My coworker is selling his 3 series (that he still has 18k owed on) so he can, get ready for it, lease a 60k Lexus.

Don't worry though, his monthly payment is only 10 bucks more and he's going to buy it eventually on his 65kish salary. gently caress. That.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Gorman Thomas posted:

I've got a doozy that just happened at work. My coworker is selling his 3 series (that he still has 18k owed on) so he can, get ready for it, lease a 60k Lexus.

Don't worry though, his monthly payment is only 10 bucks more and he's going to buy it eventually on his 65kish salary. gently caress. That.
Jesus. New 60k cars are for people with a paid off house and a lot of disposable income. Like gambling and drug addictions.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

cowofwar posted:

Jesus. New 60k cars are for people with a paid off house and a lot of disposable income. Like gambling and drug addictions.

That's twelve acceptable transportation devices.

Folly
May 26, 2010

icehewk posted:

More than that, he said lease.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

icehewk posted:

Yeah but think about the SAVINGS on insurance, taxes, plates/registration, inspection, and title transfer of one Lexus vs. 12 cars. Gotta spend more to save more.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Every person (grand total of 4) that has been to Oakland has been burgled or mugged. At least the techies are constantly getting robbed? That's bad with money, right?

I lived in West Oakland for ten years and deep East Oakland for 2 and have never been robbed. Sounds more like "lovely with life" to me.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Do you mean...have roommates? Or?

Sure, or live in a group house. If you want your living dollar to go farther and want more money for travel and savings, then there are some great places to live. All these old 3-story houses and flats with far more actual living area than you can afford on your own. I lived in a place in Temescal that had an entire mother-in-law unit in the back that nobody else in the house wanted to use. Turned it into a lounge/mancave/gameroom, had a blast. My bedroom in the main house was kinda lovely, but I mostly just used it for sleeping because I had such flexibility to be able to go out and travel, and most of my at-home leisure time was spent in the yard or out in the party shack. Didn't have to worry about leaving pets home alone, either. I paid $550, all utilities (and internet) included.

You gotta be patient and find the right fit, but I've seen plenty of really great places, if you're willing to be flexible with your perspective on things like how many people need to own dishwashers by themselves, or if you really need exclusive access to a bathroom 24/7. There were eight of us in that house and we were very rarely in each others' way because collectively we could get more than anybody could by themselves.

Edit: bad with money is me, because despite living in this awesome place, I still managed to get fired from flexible good-paying dream jobs TWICE and eventually couldn't pay rent.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 5, 2014

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Old Fart posted:

Sure, or live in a group house. If you want your living dollar to go farther and want more money for travel and savings, then there are some great places to live. All these old 3-story houses and flats with far more actual living area than you can afford on your own. I lived in a place in Temescal that had an entire mother-in-law unit in the back that nobody else in the house wanted to use. Turned it into a lounge/mancave/gameroom, had a blast. My bedroom in the main house was kinda lovely, but I mostly just used it for sleeping because I had such flexibility to be able to go out and travel, and most of my at-home leisure time was spent in the yard or out in the party shack. Didn't have to worry about leaving pets home alone, either. I paid $550, all utilities (and internet) included.

You gotta be patient and find the right fit, but I've seen plenty of really great places, if you're willing to be flexible with your perspective on things like how many people need to own dishwashers by themselves, or if you really need exclusive access to a bathroom 24/7. There were eight of us in that house and we were very rarely in each others' way because collectively we could get more than anybody could by themselves.

Edit: bad with money is me, because despite living in this awesome place, I still managed to get fired from flexible good-paying dream jobs TWICE and eventually couldn't pay rent.

Was this in the 80s?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I live in a beautiful victorian two bedroom flat (in a house of two units) with a laundry room, a dishwasher, and a beautiful garden maintained by my upstairs neighbors.

In Berkeley. On the major buslines. 20 min walk to BART, 2 min from the freeway. I work 3 cities over and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work.

I have one roommate and I pay $900 because I have a beautiful 20x14 room with pocket doors and crown molding and hers is significant smaller and has carpet/lower ceilings. My friends consider this expensive for shared accommodations, but nothing was for rent in Temescal where I was looking to pay 500-800 for a similar set up when I moved.

Make the bay area work for YOU, guys.

Edit: (a house of similar size and lower quality is renting down the street for $3.5k per month for the privilege of living alone, mileage may vary)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Haha. The comments come through.

CTRL+F "sign" - 34 results
CTRL+F "lease" - 33 results

edit:
Ooooh here's a good one.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2fh4z6/pregnant_with_twins_and_fiscally_terrified_401k/

$125k in student debt, bought a condo AND a "fixer upper" house that they can't afford to continue "fixer upper"-ing. Now she's pregnant with twins and needs to dip into their 401(k) to pay off their credit card.
But of course we can't sell the condo because :argh:CAPITAL GAINS TAXES:argh:. And won't sell the "fixer upper" because they're not done fixing it!(and can never afford to)

When I read things like this I can't help but think that the writer is lying to themselves about how much they make from their condo or would make selling their house. OP says they come out $250 "ahead" on their condo, but whenever someone says that I think bullshit, they're probably not really accounting for their expenses appropriately.

People crack me up when they put up all sorts of road blocks in front of doing sensible things (selling one or both of the properties you can't afford) like "but capital gains taxes!" or "but our equity :qq:" and then twist themselves into pretzels defending patently asinine things like taking out a 401k loan to pay off a credit card in that situation. If that OP is being honest about what their condo is actually worth they could sell it and potentially make almost $40k or more even accounting for capital gains tax, then they could pay off their credit card, pay for all their child bearing expenses and have cash left over to cover some early child care costs or finish fixing up the house. But nooooo it's their retirement plan and it makes them money!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

To be fair, they made all the "right" decisions, in terms of the long run. They got lucky with property appreciation and stand to see a whopper of a profit if they can pull the house sale off. They definitely leveraged themselves way too much, though. If their house had in fact depreciated, they'd probably be in full blown crisis mode right now. Not that $200k+ debt is anything to keep calm about about...

Definitely agreeing that they've got an overly rosy view of things. Probably how they got into this situation in the first place.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not a Children posted:

To be fair, they made all the "right" decisions, in terms of the long run. They got lucky with property appreciation and stand to see a whopper of a profit if they can pull the house sale off. They definitely leveraged themselves way too much, though. If their house had in fact depreciated, they'd probably be in full blown crisis mode right now. Not that $200k+ debt is anything to keep calm about about...

Definitely agreeing that they've got an overly rosy view of things. Probably how they got into this situation in the first place.

Yeah, that's a big if. We'll make a profit of $70k by painting the ceilings and installing granite countertops!

The way that actual flippers make money is very different from being a hobbyist taking 2 years to remodel a house.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's a situation where the long term is not a good idea in the short term. They only need one property to live in and having a pile of debt isn't going to help their cashflow. That and they might realise no actual capital gain when it sells for the same price they bought it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

When I read things like this I can't help but think that the writer is lying to themselves about how much they make from their condo or would make selling their house. OP says they come out $250 "ahead" on their condo, but whenever someone says that I think bullshit, they're probably not really accounting for their expenses appropriately.
That, and a lot of people have really unrealistic opinions on how much their home is worth. To them it's always, "Our neighbour's house sold for $x, but our house is sooo much nicer, so ours will sell for at least $x + more!"

I can't tell if they're truly delusional, or just trying to convince themselves that they aren't completely screwed.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So I checked my checking account and when I expected to see around 2500 I saw around 760,000! I know it was a mistake. But I transferred 20,000 to an external account that isnt the same institution. If they fix the error but don't do anything about the 20,000, am I ok?

Edit location? Usa...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

pathetic little tramp posted:

So I checked my checking account and when I expected to see around 2500 I saw around 760,000! I know it was a mistake. But I transferred 20,000 to an external account that isnt the same institution. If they fix the error but don't do anything about the 20,000, am I ok?

Edit location? Usa...

Take the money and run, kid

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Edit location? Usa...

You figure they'll just shrug their shoulders at a missing $20,000? No. They'll call the cops on you if you refuse to give it back, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Should transfer all 760000 to a foreign bank and then

Edit location? Unknown....

Magic Underwear posted:

You figure they'll just shrug their shoulders at a missing $20,000? No. They'll call the cops on you if you refuse to give it back, too.

When would you stop looking for your 20,000 dollars?

edit: Maybe it isn't really missing. Like what if it never existed to begin with?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 6, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
But I didnt steal it I dont think, I just put it somewhere else. I haven't spent it and wont for like a year just in case

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's amazing how loving up a single digit of an account number can send your transfer to an entirely different person.

I'd think whoever's expecting that money will complain and then a record of the transfer from the sender to you will be found.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

But I didnt steal it I dont think, I just put it somewhere else. I haven't spent it and wont for like a year just in case
I didn't steal anything, I just took money that wasn't mine and moved it to somewhere else.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

You in a few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCj0meJ1Uiw

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Edit location? Usa...

Haha, good one! Where'd that come from, Yahoo Answers?

Oh wait, you're being serious :stonk:. Seriously, transfer it back ASAP. If you already had $20k in that account, congratulations you just transferred your own $20k to a different account. If you didn't, then when they reverse the deposit (and don't think they won't) your account will get overdrafted to a degree that will effectively cause you to get banned from banking for life if it's not fixed (and your bank may still cancel your account even after it's fixed).

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If serious (which I doubt a lot considering the thread title), the bank has a record of everything you do with it, so there's no running.

Serious: I, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too, transferred money to the wrong account due to a typing error. When I asked the bank to fix this they said they could kindly ask the person to transfer it back, but not much more because it was a direct deposit. They ignored that request and I lost a few hundred bucks. This was in Australia and about 10 years ago though.

$760,000 sounds like a business transfer though, and they will gently caress you over every which way they can if that's the case.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 6, 2014

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is lucky for us: we get a serialised drama about a person bad with money :allears:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
There's literally no way to win.

Your state probably has a statute of limitations about banking errors. The statute also likely is asymmetric in that you will have around 60 days to correct errors from when your statement was mailed, while the bank has years to fix their errors. The exact number varies from state to state.

You could sit on the money for years, saying nothing, and hoping that it goes unnoticed. Once you exceed the statute of limitations in your state, you could move it to another institution, and then your bank can't touch it.

But they can still gently caress you for life on checksys and you'll have no where to keep that three quarters of a million afterwards.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Edit location? Usa...

Is taking the money and living out your life in some third world village a course of action you're willing to take, and/or are you able to place it into a Cayman islands account?

If yes, enjoy your new life!

If no, fix the banking error.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

An unscrupulous person might flee the country. Not suggesting you actually do this (don't) but hypothetically what recourse would thr bank have?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

An unscrupulous person might flee the country. Not suggesting you actually do this (don't) but hypothetically what recourse would thr bank have?

They'd come after you for theft, wire fraud, probably money laundering. For that kind of money, the FBI and Interpol would get involved.

You'd be an international fugitive, which would severely limit the number of countries were you could live out your days.

Return the money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
To be serious, if the bank isn't forthcoming about what happened, you might want to talk to a lawyer about what exactly is happening and what needs to happen next. You definitely need to transfer the money back into your account though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr.Radar posted:

Haha, good one! Where'd that come from, Yahoo Answers?

Sorry, no, just another episode of Reddit Masterpiece Theatre:

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2fljr7/glitch_in_my_checking_account

• Locked thread