Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why does donkey have penises for feet???

Now you know why cloven hooves means it's non-kosher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Those penislegs are circumsized though? :confused:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

kode54 posted:

Hello, running this poo poo into the ground.
I'm :regd08:

Excuse me, we're discussing SMBC and XKCD, the graph-joke comics. I believe you mean

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Excuse me, we're discussing SMBC and XKCD, the graph-joke comics. I believe you mean

Ah, thanks for that.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Why does everyone hate xkcd so much? From what I've seen it's pretty mediocre most of the time, like Garfield except written for postgrads, but not really worth the amount of attention it gets. The author did something super mysogynistic or racist at some point didn't he?

If I wasn't phone posting there'd be something by Kate Beaton embedded here.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You see, some people don't understand it, and we can't have unopinioned people.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why does donkey have penises for feet???

Because they do? I don't know what kind of hosed-up rear end poo poo idiot donkeys are you familiar with

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bucketmouse posted:

Why does everyone hate xkcd so much? From what I've seen it's pretty mediocre most of the time, like Garfield except written for postgrads, but not really worth the amount of attention it gets. The author did something super mysogynistic or racist at some point didn't he?
He had some rather unbearable attempts at poetic/artistic/romantic strips a while ago. And the general zeitgeist of the forums is one of unceasing mockery and hatred, so there you go.

Basically, take all criticism here with a large grain of salt.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

I can neither confirm nor deny that these events happened.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

XKCD posted:

Megan and I first met at
a party at her sister's.

We hit it off, opened up, shared secrets, and
talked about everything. Around us, the party
waned, but we hid from sleep together, talking
through the deepest hours of the night.

The dawn found us curled up on
a couch, asleep but still together.

That experience, connecting with a
stranger and falling recklessly in
love, is one of life's greatest joys.

And now that you're married,
you'll never experience it again.

It's the price you pay for everlasting love.
It's a small one, but I hope it stings a little.

Anyway, I wish you and Megan the best.
...Hey, man, you ASKED me to do a toast.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
He's not really misogynistic so much as sort of vaguely pathetic, yeah. He had the creepy :qq:MEGAN:qq: thing and is pretty much universally inoffensive otherwise. I read the comic occasionally.

You know what you should read right now? Scary-Go-Round! It finished years and years ago and now the author makes a mediocre comic about mystery-solving teens that is just as aggressively British but nowhere near as charming. You should go read all of Scary-Go-Round right this minute. Don't expect edgy, because it is the opposite of edgy. It's delightful and will make whatever small part of you that still enjoys things without irony clap its hands and hop up and down repeatedly.

It's a little tricky to find the archive because the author really wants you to read Bad Machinery instead but the original comic starts here.

Panic! at Nabisco has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Sep 6, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In fairness Bad Machinery is great. Much more polished than Scary-Go-Round or Bobbins.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Ooh, Scary-Go-Round! I haven't read that since before it finished. :(

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

bucketmouse posted:

If I wasn't phone posting there'd be something by Kate Beaton embedded here.

Funny story, I genuinely thought George R.R. Martin had molested a child from the stuff I read on SA. Then I saw someone complain about how frustrated they were that they couldn't find any creepy/offensive poo poo on some (completely harmless) shut-in indie game developer.

It's basically nerdy celeb-culture, but with more projected self-hatred.

BioMe has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Sep 6, 2014

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

BioMe posted:

Funny story, I genuinely thought George R.R. Martin had molested a child from the stuff I read on SA. Then I saw someone complain about how frustrated they were that they couldn't find any creepy/offensive poo poo on some (completely harmless) shut-in indie game developer.

Yeah, I mean, it's a drat shame we can't find anything creepy about XK...

XKCD - Jealousy posted:

...CD. I mean, no nerd obsessed with childhood romanticism would ever get skeevy and weird like that.

But seriously, thank you, forums poster BioMe, for telling it like it is. Truly, I'm only projecting my own infantile obsession with the "pixie dream girl" I barely know onto this stick-figure comic. I only wish I was brave enough to fill my apartment with cheap plastic playpen balls.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

That actually hit a nerve for you.

drat.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Truly, I'm only projecting my own infantile obsession with the "pixie dream girl" I barely know onto this stick-figure comic. I only wish I was brave enough to fill my apartment with cheap plastic playpen balls.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did you guys deliberately quote that XKCD in text form rather than quoting the comic image itself because it's creepier in text form where it's not laid out to have the punchline?

For what it's worth Randall Monroe says he's never known an actual Megan, and it's a name he picked for stuff like this because when you're doing relationship jokes 'at some point you have to use a name'. Not that I expect any of us will believe that, because

BioMe posted:

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Sep 6, 2014

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

In fairness Bad Machinery is great. Much more polished than Scary-Go-Round or Bobbins.

It's pretty weird for me, too, when I hear people bag on Bad Machinery as being a lesser effort than Scary-Go-Round. SGR I liked almost in spite of itself: Allison is obviously a talented artist and wordsmith, but the SGR characters all had this entirely too precious univoice that drove me bananas. He's gotten so, so much better at creating actual characters in his Bad Machinery years, and I think the comic is a bit more of a slow burner as a result. You're not going to get Mister Funnylaffs every single strip, but when you take his stories as a whole, every strip turns out to have been well worth reading.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

quote:

Anyway, I wish you and Megan the best.
...Hey, man, you ASKED me to do a toast.

Wow, silly me, I read this as a punch line. I wasn't aware that it was a 100% purely serious cry of unbridled patheticness!

XKCD is fine and people who hate the whole thing because "Randall Munroe is definitely serious about being creepy, rather than it just being one character's creepiness functioning as what we call the joke" are dumb dumbs. There I said it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think people are focusing too much on the "Megan" stuff and not enough on other reasons why he sucks. Like how pretty much all his "jokes" are just SCIENCE REFERENCE.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

muscles like this? posted:

I think people are focusing too much on the "Megan" stuff and not enough on other reasons why he sucks. Like how pretty much all his "jokes" are just SCIENCE REFERENCE.

don't forget elaborate-diagram-of-nerdy-movie-plot

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

XCKLMESUJD may suck but I'd rather read it than whomp anyday.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bucketmouse posted:

Why does everyone hate xkcd so much? From what I've seen it's pretty mediocre most of the time, like Garfield except written for postgrads,
He was on colbert the other night, and colbert made basically that same joke.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/6jaxht/september-3--2014---randall-munroe

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

GelatinSkeleton posted:

XCKLMESUJD may suck but I'd rather read it than whomp anyday.

Heresy. Ronnie is adorable and awful.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Palmersaurus posted:

The art is still pretty great though:

A bit late, but I really like his stuff when he's on. Black humor is the best humor, and you should all watch Killer Joe and The Loved Ones when you get the chance.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Bad Machinery is great and if you don't like it you have bad opinions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

At this point there are more goons needlessly defending XKCD than there are goons criticizing it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kazil posted:

At this point there are more goons needlessly defending XKCD than there are goons criticizing it.

Can I get this post in the form of a graph with stick figures making jokes about it?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

KoRMaK posted:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/full-episodes/6jaxht/september-3--2014---randall-munroe

How did he manage to get on Colbert?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Probably promoting his new book.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dr_Amazing posted:

He was also on Science Friday

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

kazil posted:

I wasn't defending it, I was just saying that whomp sucks

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I'm sorry we have to argue about webcomics.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I don't really hate XKCD, but I think SMBC does a lot better at the ornate science/philosophy jokes, and the rest of its content really isn't that special. I think the turning point for me was when I noticed XKCD and Nedroid did the same joke once. Not a plagarism thing, or not that I care about, just that XKCD was typically wordy and smug, and Nedroid was this:

All that's really left is the infographic style comics, some of those are pretty neat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AdorableStar posted:

I'm sorry we have to argue about webcomics.

But the arguments are the best part!

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

I'm not in favor of talking head comics, but this is is good. It's like a better version of "Escape" by Rupert Holmes.

Loses points for just bringing up Hitler, though. Sick of Adolf Hitler over here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQKqhoc_vc

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, you reminded me of the awful proportions of those digitigrade legs. :gonk:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Pope Guilty posted:

Bad Machinery is quite good, but I liked his older art style better. I won't say it's been going downhill since the middle of SGR, but it's been going in a direction I'm not as fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

KoRMaK posted:

I find it interesting how xkcd's fanbase and target audience seems to be split between hipster 'smart' people (see the perpetual xkcd shirt section on thinkgeek with simple gag one liners like 'stand back I'm going to try science') and serious postgrad academics who giggle at the computer science analog to the dad joke and post the strips on their office doors. Every single math/CS prof at my college had at least two of them and one was always the 'lisp uses lots of parenthesis lol' one. The Garfield comparison is just dead-on in the second case.

• Locked thread