Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the same time, he's clearly not inherently demonic in nature. Between the angel and the sphinx and the demonic entities he's encountered, surely it would have come up sooner. Besides, can demons even perform acts of creation? However he was created, the situation is not nearly so simple as "he's a demonic creature."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

A reflection of a demon bound with the history and self perception of a human could perhaps overcome the issues of his base nature.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
We don't know what the exact deal is with 'his' friends either. Rose's note to herself a while ago would suggest they were never her friends, suggesting Blake may be carved from a real person.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Well that it certainly was :shepicide:

Yay, first time a prediction has gone my way. :(

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

He's probably made by The Barber, possibly as part of The Barbers "reproduction" the way the three bodies Ur has are his form of reproduction, but the "raw" materials were a real person named Blake, who had these people as friends, and Grandma Rose did something to subvert the Barbers normal means of "reproduction". Basically Blake isn't actually to be feared despite his origin, but Rose is going to use that origin, and neglect to mention some more important details, in an attempt to get Blake killed/destroyed/removed from the picture.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I think the Barber carved theory makes sense. This chapter really solidified that people are paying way more attention to Blake than would make sense if he was 'just' a vestige. Which is awesome.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
This is my favorite gathered pages yet. That plant kid who just stood in his empty house :gonk:

Also, it's cool to get an official statement that Blake was a ridiculously natural practitioner. I too, can't imagine how Rose, the way she's been acting, would have survived in Blake's place.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mr. Wednesday posted:

This is my favorite gathered pages yet. That plant kid who just stood in his empty house :gonk:

Also, it's cool to get an official statement that Blake was a ridiculously natural practitioner. I too, can't imagine how Rose, the way she's been acting, would have survived in Blake's place.

Yeah I wonder if Wildbow's familiar with Unknown Armies. This chapter gave me a major Unknown Armies vibe.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

This next arc will be fun.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 4, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Caught back up with Hero Historia again and I had a passing thought. Mad Words is inspired by Enkidu, am I correct?

Also Sabit :stare:

People say it's always the quiet ones, I wonder if they know why? Social isolation and bottled-up emotions are not ingredients for a healthy psyche. As a personal example, I hold no grudges against individuals myself, but if I underwent apotheosis there are a lot of institutions that would not survive.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
That's actually why I didn't go with a Gilgamesh retelling for the Sumerian arc; Mad Words and Enkidu are similar, and their roles are similar. I might go with that story it if I revisit the era, though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Okay, new chapter (11.1) is up, so it's time for wild and inaccurate guesses about what's coming down the pipeline.

The arc title is Malfeasance, which (I did have to look it up) refers to a public official performing an act that violate law, or any act that violates public trust. Since Blake isn't currently in a position of power, I'd guess that he's not the cause of the action. On the other hand, we have a very limited pool of people who could claim to have public trust. Rose sure as hell doesn't, despite being relatively chummy with Jeremy on their way out. Sandra and Duncan are basically the only two I can think of who are in a position of public prominence to violate the laws they are ostensibly protecting (Johannes may be is doing something shady within his realm, but who exactly trusts him?). I'm going to guess that one/both of them make(s) a move on Rose and company. I'd also guess they do so while violating the rules they laid out at the start for the contenders to Lordship, possibly the one about involving innocents in Jacob's Bell. Better yet, involving the Thorburns, who we know are in town trying to wrest control of Hillsglade Manor away from Rose (good luck finding more tenacious lawyers, other Thorburns).

Now, let's all sit back and enjoy just how wrong I am over the next few weeks.

Edit: Bonus wrong prediction. The chapter title refers to a past event, in which it comes to light that one of the Behaims used time magic to assist Rose Senior in the creation of Blake.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 6, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I really want to know how Blake Macguyver's out of this with playing cards, a book, and coins.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Grundulum posted:

On the other hand, we have a very limited pool of people who could claim to have public trust.

After the last Collected Pages, Andy and Eva seem like the most obvious answer.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

I thought about that, but nobody really trusts them. It's just that taking out (or trying to) witch hunters seems like a great way to bring a speedy end to yourself. Better to let them focus on the more malign forces while keeping a clean face around them. I call it the Gentleman Johnny Marcone gambit.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

TheRagamuffin posted:

In before rocket launcher.

Anyway, this was another opportunity to ask his friends why they're still with Rose that Blake didn't take. I'm pretty convinced he's simply incapable of taking that kind of action by construction at this point. Notice whenever he's angry he gets the urge to simply 'not think about' Rose. He should be furious at her but instead his anger gets conveniently redirected and he continues trying to help her. I wonder if guessing that he's demonic in origin is a mental block of his as well. He had plenty of time to think about his origins, but never seemed to openly think, 'I wonder if Rose Sr., the preeminent user of demons who created me, might have created me using a demon'.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how people in the comments are trying to figure out how Blake managed to get the books/cards/coins onto his side of the mirror when it's pretty explicitly spelled out in the story :allears:

Also, another example of Blake being a natural genius at magic bullshit and bullshitting magic.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Okay, new chapter (11.1) is up, so it's time for wild and inaccurate guesses about what's coming down the pipeline.

The arc title is Malfeasance, which (I did have to look it up) refers to a public official performing an act that violate law, or any act that violates public trust. Since Blake isn't currently in a position of power, I'd guess that he's not the cause of the action. On the other hand, we have a very limited pool of people who could claim to have public trust. Rose sure as hell doesn't, despite being relatively chummy with Jeremy on their way out. Sandra and Duncan are basically the only two I can think of who are in a position of public prominence to violate the laws they are ostensibly protecting (Johannes may be is doing something shady within his realm, but who exactly trusts him?). I'm going to guess that one/both of them make(s) a move on Rose and company. I'd also guess they do so while violating the rules they laid out at the start for the contenders to Lordship, possibly the one about involving innocents in Jacob's Bell. Better yet, involving the Thorburns, who we know are in town trying to wrest control of Hillsglade Manor away from Rose (good luck finding more tenacious lawyers, other Thorburns).

Now, let's all sit back and enjoy just how wrong I am over the next few weeks.

Mags fits this description perfectly.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I like how people in the comments are trying to figure out how Blake managed to get the books/cards/coins onto his side of the mirror when it's pretty explicitly spelled out in the story :allears:

Also, another example of Blake being a natural genius at magic bullshit and bullshitting magic.

I sort of feel like Blake's "Maybe I figured this out and Rose didn't because I'm not real and she is the real one." is starting to push this too drat far.

I'm getting pretty suspicious that Blake's belief that he's the fake might be in error.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Pavlov posted:

Anyway, this was another opportunity to ask his friends why they're still with Rose that Blake didn't take. I'm pretty convinced he's simply incapable of taking that kind of action by construction at this point. Notice whenever he's angry he gets the urge to simply 'not think about' Rose. He should be furious at her but instead his anger gets conveniently redirected and he continues trying to help her. I wonder if guessing that he's demonic in origin is a mental block of his as well. He had plenty of time to think about his origins, but never seemed to openly think, 'I wonder if Rose Sr., the preeminent user of demons who created me, might have created me using a demon'.

Not only that, but as soon as he realized he was dealing with Rose and not Conquest-Rose, she immediately became off limits. I think we've seen that Wildbow is good enough that all these shards are not coincidences. I also think Rose her information about Blake might not be so accurate as she thinks. If she did know exactly what he was, she would also know he is 'programmed' to be loyal to her and she would have used him by now, even if it was just for a suicide mission.

NecroMonster posted:

I'm getting pretty suspicious that Blake's belief that he's the fake might be in error.

Well this chapter all but spells out he was created from a real person. He is probably very real, just not very human. Seeing as he still looks at things from a human point of view he might confuse that as becoming less 'real'.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
So hey. I had a few false starts with my own serial, but I finally got the thing to a place I'm happy with, so I rebooted and I'm updating again! Here's a brief blurb:

The Bitter Drop posted:

Anzu Menelik has lost his daughter.

It's the aftermath of a Cataclysm and the revolution in Chervey and Tulun has just finished - it's no wonder he's lost track of a three-year-old toddler. But Anzu, a former necromancer and queer as a five-speed walking stick, is no sleuth. He just wanted to have a peaceful life, following the execution of his notorious and tyrannical master, Raimut Hellewege. But it is not to be. As he searches for his daughter, Anzu will find many things: new alliances, people he thought he'd lost forever and dangerous magic. He will also find that not all things he thought dead will stay so.

Read from the start here, if that piques your interest!

In other news, I'm reading Pact and honestly, after a slowish start, by 1.3 I was sucked in. The prose isn't quite my cup of tea, but I am really enjoying the plot.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I really want to know how Blake Macguyver's out of this with playing cards, a book, and coins.

The Awakening Ritual.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like another shoe is going to drop as far as finding out what Blake is. Like maybe the 'real' Blake was Rose's twin brother or something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Victorkm posted:

The Awakening Ritual.

That's what I was thinking as well.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Victorkm posted:

The Awakening Ritual.

That was my initial thought, but reading back he doesn't have bowls or some other items "required" from the awakening ritual.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HiHo ChiRho posted:

items "required" from the awakening ritual.

i doubt blake needs to reawaken, but if he does, i think he as a magical savant probably doesn't need even a majority of the ritual components if he puts his mind and a bit of time to the task.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah, the exact details of the awakening ritual are unimportant, what is important is the personal significance to you and the significance to the spirits.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pact update. Blake is a slippery motherfucker.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It is looking increasingly likely that Blake is one of those genius types that Andy mentioned waaaaaay back in act 1. Time to go back and remind myself exactly what Andy said could only be done if you're one of those genius types.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I am so annoyed that Blake and Rose still aren't communicating. I feel that if they were just explicit with each other all the time there would be less issues. Why can't Rose just come out and say what the hell her problem with what Blake is, is? Just tell him. "This is why you're in the mirror prison and not out helping me." Instead she's just being a secretive, imperious bitch.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellwenner posted:

Why can't Rose just come out and say what the hell her problem with what Blake is, is? Just tell him. "This is why you're in the mirror prison and not out helping me."

She straight-up said she thinks telling him why she thinks he needs to be bound is just as bad a move as not binding him in the first place.

Fake edit: Also "secretive imperious [expletive]" probably describes every semi-ambitious magician in existence :v:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Oh, forgot about that.

I just want everyone to get along.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Obviously Rose believes telling Blake about his true nature will give him sufficient power to be a major pain in the rear end and I guess maybe enough to be able to attack her.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The decision to keep that information from him and imprison him while his friends are in danger, on the other hand, has worked out pretty much perfectly! :v:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok, besides all the awesome stuff Blake did, what I really liked was having the motivation for his friends explained. They were with Rose initially because they were lost, then later because she could provide comfort, and afterwards because of their own faults. Tiff because she has dependency issues, Alexis because she thinks she can 'help' Rose, and Ty probably for the same reason he joined up with Blake: he gets swept up in things and follows his friends.

Looking at those motivations, I'm calling it now that Blake tries to convince Alexis to leave by comparing what Rose is doing to what Carl was doing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
With the introduction of a new character (and a Behaim, no less!), I may actually have guessed right for once. I wish I had the self-control to wait for chapters to build up. Wildbow is quite good at what he does, and these breaks in the action are agonizing.

Edit: now with spoilers! I don't remember who said that Blake may be compelled by his nature to support Rose, but Alister's oddly knowledgeable comments support that idea rather deeply.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 11, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Sounds like we're about to have a contest between two of the genius types, then.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yu-Gi-Oh fight! Bring it on!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Is it me or does it look like the really obvious solution to this problem is Blake himself doing nothing, or even just not declaring war and using the subsequent Alister loss of magic for lying to take him down? Unless, of course, when Rose gives the mark he is compelled to attack. Even then, just not declaring war sounds like enough to be a non-minor lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

Is it me or does it look like the really obvious solution to this problem is Blake himself doing nothing, or even just not declaring war and using the subsequent Alister loss of magic for lying to take him down? Unless, of course, when Rose gives the mark he is compelled to attack. Even then, just not declaring war sounds like enough to be a non-minor lie.

I don't think he will have a choice. What that one poster (whose name I forget edit: Pavlov said something similar earlier on this page) has been saying is that Blake is bound to assist Rose. He can convince himself to do this however he likes--and there will be a reason given, and it will sound rational--but even though I agree that your answer is the obvious solution, Blake's non-human origin/nature may not give him that option.

• Locked thread