Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Maneki Neko posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of storage usage are other 630/635 users seeing?

I've got all my music/pictures/whatever on SD card, but out of the 6.53 GB of space on my phone, a bit over 1/2 of that is used up by system files, which seems crazy (3.33 GB to be exact).

Ditto on my 635. Actually worse, 4.29 GB is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Eggnogium posted:

Ditto on my 635. Actually worse, 4.29 GB is used.

Gah, how the hell is something like a 530 even usable with 4GB?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Pinging the MS dev goons, and I apologize to the rest of you for :words:. There's a pretty big bug in the Xbox Music app that I've noticed, unless only mine is broken or I completely misunderstand the subscription settings. Thanks to Data Sense I noticed that my data usage has creeped higher than usual over the last month or two. The most common way I play music is just to shuffle all the songs on the device and skip when I hit one I don't care for right then. Usually this is by launching the app and hitting shuffle, but I sometimes launch it via Cortana or let the car head unit do it. I noticed that a song played that I thought I had deleted from the device awhile back. So I checked the phone and it was still gone, then I checked the Now Playing list and sure enough not only were my local songs listed but so were the songs from my online pool of music (you can tell because they have a little radio signal next to the song title). Despite the fact that in settings I intentionally have "Show streaming music in my collection" turned off. To further prove that, when I look at the list of songs/artists in the app sure enough it only shows what's been downloaded. Nothing from the online pool. But wait it gets better! It only does it sometimes and I haven't been able to narrow down all the exact methods that trigger it. So far it seems that if I tell Cortana to "shuffle my music" it then plays my shuffled music plus the online music, once again ignoring the setting that has online turned off. So that's one way. I also suspect it happens when my car head unit initiates the shuffle (it starts with the first song alphabetically, then shuffles), but I haven't tested that yet.

tl;dr

Beware the evil shuffle feature or you may blow through data caps unintentionally.

:tipshat:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have about 300 mb free on 8.1 preview, on my 8G 8XT. It comes with a storage sense type app that constantly reminds me of my suffering.

In the Awful forums app, quoting but canceling sends you to the end of the thread. I quote, because you can not tap to open images, or tap and hold for links. Next page often takes me to nearly the bottom of the next page, and I have to scroll up.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

Pinging the MS dev goons, and I apologize to the rest of you for :words:. There's a pretty big bug in the Xbox Music app that I've noticed, unless only mine is broken or I completely misunderstand the subscription settings. Thanks to Data Sense I noticed that my data usage has creeped higher than usual over the last month or two. The most common way I play music is just to shuffle all the songs on the device and skip when I hit one I don't care for right then. Usually this is by launching the app and hitting shuffle, but I sometimes launch it via Cortana or let the car head unit do it. I noticed that a song played that I thought I had deleted from the device awhile back. So I checked the phone and it was still gone, then I checked the Now Playing list and sure enough not only were my local songs listed but so were the songs from my online pool of music (you can tell because they have a little radio signal next to the song title). Despite the fact that in settings I intentionally have "Show streaming music in my collection" turned off. To further prove that, when I look at the list of songs/artists in the app sure enough it only shows what's been downloaded. Nothing from the online pool. But wait it gets better! It only does it sometimes and I haven't been able to narrow down all the exact methods that trigger it. So far it seems that if I tell Cortana to "shuffle my music" it then plays my shuffled music plus the online music, once again ignoring the setting that has online turned off. So that's one way. I also suspect it happens when my car head unit initiates the shuffle (it starts with the first song alphabetically, then shuffles), but I haven't tested that yet.

tl;dr

Beware the evil shuffle feature or you may blow through data caps unintentionally.

I'm assuming this was a phone that got upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 without a hard reset? When I upgraded my Lumia 920 from 8.0 to 8.1 developer preview, I had a weird issue where Cortana would not shuffle my music at all, claiming that streaming music support had to be enabled in music app, regardless of whether or not it was actually enabled. I was guessing something settings wise got messed up during the upgrade process, and couldn't ever find a solution outside of a hard reset.

For what it's worth, my 635 doing a shuffle via Cortana with streaming music option disabled in Xbox music will only shuffle my local songs, not anything in my cloud collection/streaming music.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At IFA, Nokiasoft announced the 730 and 830, which you can read about in their blog: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/morelumia/ They look solid for their price points.

What's of more immediate interest is Update 1 and Nokia Denim: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/ basically, better and faster camera, always listening Cortana with "hey Cortana," and Bing apps on the glance screen, like weather updates. Q4 2014 including carrier testing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

At IFA, Nokiasoft announced the 730 and 830, which you can read about in their blog: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/morelumia/ They look solid for their price points.

What's of more immediate interest is Update 1 and Nokia Denim: http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/ basically, better and faster camera, always listening Cortana with "hey Cortana," and Bing apps on the glance screen, like weather updates. Q4 2014 including carrier testing.

Those are some nice looking phones - the 730 seems to be a slightly slimmed down 920 with a spec bump.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

Pinging the MS dev goons, and I apologize to the rest of you for :words:
tl;dr

I'll let the client team know. Thanks for the feedback!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
It tilts me to read about all the updates to 8.1 and I'm still waiting on carrier testing. :suicide:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming this was a phone that got upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 without a hard reset? When I upgraded my Lumia 920 from 8.0 to 8.1 developer preview, I had a weird issue where Cortana would not shuffle my music at all, claiming that streaming music support had to be enabled in music app, regardless of whether or not it was actually enabled. I was guessing something settings wise got messed up during the upgrade process, and couldn't ever find a solution outside of a hard reset.

For what it's worth, my 635 doing a shuffle via Cortana with streaming music option disabled in Xbox music will only shuffle my local songs, not anything in my cloud collection/streaming music.

Now that backup/restore puts almost everything back I might give it a shot. The fact that its not been consistent could have something to do with a bad upgrade. I went 8 to DP to cyan.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there word on how much the 730 will cost in the UK? I'm really hoping that its close to Moto G price, I'm wanting to upgrade to a phone with 1GB ram. Mainly in the hope Skype and other apps work better when switching between them.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If you click through to the 730/735 announcement page:

quote:

The affordable and powerful Lumia 730 Dual SIM and Lumia 735 will start shipping in September. The 4G/LTE version is estimated to be priced at about 219 EUR before taxes and subsidies, while the 3G Dual SIM version is estimated to be priced at about 199 EUR before taxes and subsidies.
So just do some conversions, I'm sure VAT is included.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I've been toying around with a L920 for a while now, and I gotta say I really enjoy it and will probably switch over to it when my Verizon plan runs out. For now, it's probably the closest I've had to a high-end phone, so I'm just playing with the camera, enjoying the HD screen and checking out the applications.

Now, I recently discovered that my old Xbox Live holdover credits from a couple years ago were still in my "Microsoft Wallet," and had been converted to USD. So, now I've got ~$6 sitting in this account, make some recommendations on what I should do with it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AT&T 820 & 920 users are getting Cyan finally (assuming you're still on 8.0 and not on dev preview):

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-lumia-920--820-lumia-cyan-update-now-available

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Ed: Never mind, fixed it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LentThem posted:

Nokia Camera Beta is alright for everyday shooting. For live filters I'd recommend Camera360 (also can do fake HDR by using filters) and ProShot (does bracketing for slightly better HDR).

UC Browser is a pretty good web browser that lets you save offline copies of web pages and flash videos.

Jack of Tools Pro or #1 Toolkit are good for conversions and flashlights.

Awful Forums Reader :colbert:

Since Twitter/Facebook/Google/Youtube are banned in my country I don't really know anything about apps for them.

If your phone ends up coming with the Cyan + 8.1 update I'd be really curious to hear about the battery life.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep you updated if my phone gets the Cyan + 8.1 thing.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

What is the name of the new SA ap?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

AT&T 820 & 920 users are getting Cyan finally (assuming you're still on 8.0 and not on dev preview):

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-lumia-920--820-lumia-cyan-update-now-available

So is there a predicted timetable for those of us on dev preview then?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lumia 830 announcement looked good up until the SoC chosen, replacing a 920 I am somewhat unsure how this works out performance-wise? Anyone have any sort of reference point?

Better camera, slightly larger screen and smaller/lighter sounds good though, so that is the one sticking point for getting a replacement.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Lumia 830 announcement looked good up until the SoC chosen, replacing a 920 I am somewhat unsure how this works out performance-wise? Anyone have any sort of reference point?

Better camera, slightly larger screen and smaller/lighter sounds good though, so that is the one sticking point for getting a replacement.

Yeah I thought the 830 looked like a great upgrade until I noticed the processor and then the fact that the new Cortana always listening thing requires a snapdragon 800. I mean it still looks like a great phone, but those are two things I'd like on an upgrade. Speed and every available software feature. The 920 has a dual 1.5Ghz snapdragon S4, and the 830 a quad 1.2Ghz snapdragon S400. Here's a handy reference that I assume is correct:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/nokia-lumia-920-520-vs-nokia-lumia-830-1947-vs-nokia-lumia-930-1455-vs-nokia-lumia-635-1458

So I'm just gonna guess it's faster, however the 830 does have the same processor as the budget 635 and the 930 has a quad 2.2Ghz snapdragon 800. For kicks I dug up some synthetic benchmark that's cross platform (Basemark OS II), take the results with a grain of salt, etc. Sadly it had no info for a 635 or any phone with the same SOC as the 830. So I'm guessing it's just in-between these two:

Lumia 920

Lumia 1520

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 5, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, and to be quite honest I know I shouldn't fall in the trap of worrying too much about that stuff since my 920 really runs just fine.

However, I now noticed that a bunch of stores here knocked $100 off the price of the 930 this week, so I think my choice has become a lot easier to make. It does, after all, have everything I can think of wanting out of a next Lumia phone, so I have little reason to wait.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Also the 735.

The biggest question though, why isn't there a camera button on those things. :argh:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really don't like the new screenshot shortcut in 8.1. At least 2/3 times I end up changing the volume or locking the screen. And when it does manage to take a screenshot, the music notification ting still pops down.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic, I may have come across an issue with Awful forums reader. I turned the screen off while it was still in the foreground, and an hour later was startled by the low battery notification - it had chewed through about 50% battery in an hour, stuck on some kind of infinite loading loop, and the phone was burning hot. The phone shut itself down before I could turn it off myself.

I've since disabled the app's ability to run in the background.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Drastic, I may have come across an issue with Awful forums reader. I turned the screen off while it was still in the foreground, and an hour later was startled by the low battery notification - it had chewed through about 50% battery in an hour, stuck on some kind of infinite loading loop, and the phone was burning hot. The phone shut itself down before I could turn it off myself.

I've since disabled the app's ability to run in the background.

My app does not do anything in the background unless you turn on the live tile support (and you have to turn it on, it's not automatic). And that process only fires every 15 minutes, and does one check through your bookmarks and stops. And as soon as you turn it off, there are no other background processes. Even if the app was in the foreground anyway when you turned off the screen, it gets tombstoned. Not saying it did not cause it (if the battery saver app said it was me, I'll look further into it) but I don't think it was.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think this might be the least reaction this thread has ever had to a new device announcement. The problem is probably that it's two midrange phones and we're insufferable powerusers?

My mom's 822 is a slow piece of crap and I've been saying she should upgrade to an Icon when her upgrade finally hits in late November; how would an 830 compare to the Icon? For that matter, do we even know which carriers either of these phones will be on?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

The phones look fine, but not necessarily what I would like. Honestly, I'd love to see an upgraded 1020.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

My app does not do anything in the background unless you turn on the live tile support (and you have to turn it on, it's not automatic). And that process only fires every 15 minutes, and does one check through your bookmarks and stops. And as soon as you turn it off, there are no other background processes. Even if the app was in the foreground anyway when you turned off the screen, it gets tombstoned. Not saying it did not cause it (if the battery saver app said it was me, I'll look further into it) but I don't think it was.

Battery saver listed your app as the highest usage - the next highest had about a third the usage. Can anybody think what else it might have been, or is this just some random thing?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What is the name of the new SA ap?
Awful Forums Reader

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The phones look fine, but not necessarily what I would like. Honestly, I'd love to see an upgraded 1020.

I'm an idiot and want an updated, high end Lumia 800. Sub-4.5" screens for life, yo.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

This is from regular use throughout the work day. I can't really compare it to other apps right now because lately it's the only one I've used regularly, but it does seem to be chuggin' away in the background.

This is on a Lumia 1020 running "8.1 Update" (whatever that means), version 8.10.14157.200.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

UHD posted:

This is from regular use throughout the work day. I can't really compare it to other apps right now because lately it's the only one I've used regularly, but it does seem to be chuggin' away in the background.

This is on a Lumia 1020 running "8.1 Update" (whatever that means), version 8.10.14157.200.

I was talking strictly about a background process. The app can run in the background, but I don't register a background process to actively fire anything except for the live tile support. As far I know from my 920, 521, and 1020, it's not doing a massive amount of processing.

Again, there may be issues and it can be doing something wrong here, but I need to look into it more. I still don't think it's me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

loquacius posted:

I think this might be the least reaction this thread has ever had to a new device announcement. The problem is probably that it's two midrange phones and we're insufferable powerusers?

My mom's 822 is a slow piece of crap and I've been saying she should upgrade to an Icon when her upgrade finally hits in late November; how would an 830 compare to the Icon? For that matter, do we even know which carriers either of these phones will be on?

I think at&t is the only carrier so far that might carry these.

830 vs Icon:

10MP camera / 20MP camera
SD slot / 32GB with no slot
720 screen / 1080 screen
Glance screen info / no glance
quad 1.2Ghz snapdragon S400 / quad 2.2Ghz snapdragon 800

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone ever had any issues with their Windows Phone not syncing all of their photos to OneDrive properly? I was recently taking hundreds of photos on a vacation where I was constantly slipping in and out of reception, and some of the photos just never got uploaded- how do you force them?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way to make Cortana default to public transport directions and alerts? If I open it in the morning it will tell me about traffic incidents but not the tube status. I can't even drive!

Also if I ask it to remind me of something when I leave work does it base that on the GPS? Because I think I get on the underground too soon for it to trigger and then it only reminds me when I get off at the other end.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Has anyone ever had any issues with their Windows Phone not syncing all of their photos to OneDrive properly? I was recently taking hundreds of photos on a vacation where I was constantly slipping in and out of reception, and some of the photos just never got uploaded- how do you force them?

Is it possible you have it set to upload in best quality? That would force it to wait till you were on WiFi.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Here's one for you all. Cortana gives me weather alerts for severe weather, but only marine warnings. I am near a lake/river, but, that's all I have ever seen. Any idea?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got my 925 yesterday and been messing with it. Runs smoothly and battery life with 8.1 (i still don't have cyan) is good. Got a few questions related to apps. What is a good music player app? I like to listen to music using folders as playlists (like winamp on pc or my android phone). Is there any kind of clock widget/tile I can install so i have a big one that displays the time and if i push it it sends me to alarms.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Partycat posted:

Here's one for you all. Cortana gives me weather alerts for severe weather, but only marine warnings. I am near a lake/river, but, that's all I have ever seen. Any idea?

If she is drawing from the national weather service for alerts, then this is normal. I don't live that close to large bodies of water, but my accuweather app constantly gives me weather alerts based on marine warnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know when cortana uk comes out for non developers? Im itching to get it on my 8.1 device but don't want to install the preview for devs app.