Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014
Why can you still use cheat engine in DS2? It's stupidly easy to cheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Once I got off tilt about poise, I tried out recollection in the blood arena (tower stage all the time) and it isn't actually a bad spell. Nobody seemed to know what the hell was going on when I cast it. It is basically blinding bolt but with a small consistent amount of spooky skulls rather than a few inconsistent tracking bolts plus a large amount of lightning that mostly goes nowhere important.

Main weakness is spooky skulls tend to almost never originate from the bottom of the spell once cast, so if they close in quick enough they can practically ignore it. Also damage sucks, but poise damage is pretty good, and it combos into a tremendous array of other spells. I found the most success with casting it at the extreme edge of lock range, or starting the cast anticipating that I'd be able to get lock before the spell went off. Under that cover, I could fire off a full broadside of affinity and recast before the spooky skulls ran out - often in their panic, my opponents would dodge one skull, get stunned by another, and then held in place for the approaching affini-fist. Even if they did avoid significant damage, I could still get a fresh rack of Affinity ready with plenty of time, so basically nothing lost but a few seconds off weapon buffs and GMB for both me and my opponent. Only one or two people tonight actually charged in under the recollection, and it was easy enough to recognize them going for it that I wasn't punished with damage for the recollection attempt.

Once in the furball, recasting recollection gets tricky, but well-timed soul showers can give you enough breathing room as long as you confirm your opponent respects it. It should go without saying that if your opponent is ready and willing to throw his own fastball spells, be very very careful in attempting any of the tactics here. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this spell and will keep using it for the time being, especially considering it only takes one slot, a relative rarity among hexes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

g0t_hats posted:

Why can you still use cheat engine in DS2? It's stupidly easy to cheat.

Because PC development is unheard of in Japan so nobody knows what the gently caress to do, and FROM doesn't want to add an in-game system.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
Bit late on the lore discussion here but I've always read the universe of Dark Souls as being a proxy war between Frampt and the rest of the Primordial Serpents.

We only really meet two of them, and they want completely opposite things - Frampt does his best to convince you prolonging the Age of Fire is the only option and Kaathe wants you to make everything just like his pad, i.e. total nothingness.

This is just speculation, but maybe it was Frampt who recognized his own power as a primordial serpent or recognized some smoldering potential in the Abyss which preceded the world that allowed him to create the First Flame. First there was dark, then there was fire, and with fire, came disparity.

The other Serpents weren't happy with this and so they created something to undo what Frampt had done - the Dark Soul, which Humanities are fragments of. Then they waited until the hollows that emerged from (???) in the wake of the Flame's creation had claimed the power and become the Lords, until the last dopey one was standing around. Then they showed him the Dark Soul. This was the Furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten in the bluster of Gwyn and Nito and the Witch of Izalith recklessly using their newfound power to destroy the established order.

Maybe Kaathe and the other Serpents thought that the power of the Dark Soul they had created (by slicing off a hunk of the primordial abyss, maybe?) would eventually overcome the power of Frampt's flame and everything would be restored to calm, and this has admittedly come close to happening a few times (Oolacile, the vanilla ending of DS1, and arguably at the end of DS2 with Nashandra getting so close to the Throne), but the lore of DS2 seems to suggest that once the flame has been kindled, efforts to extinguish it entirely are futile, and it's only Vendrick who has started to see things with this sort of clarity - he suggests the need for a ruler who can manipulate both forces equally.

So maybe in the end neither sect of Serpent gets what they want, but we get some hybrid controlled by some theoretical ruler who can absorb and control the forces of Dark and Light to create a sustainable world. I've always just liked the explanation that everything goes back to the Primordial Serpents, and that we're just playing out their desires - only maybe they don't even quite 'get it,' obsessed as they are with their pet visions of reality - once the disparity has been created, there's no going back to how it used to be.

Harvey Wallbanger fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 6, 2014

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
The smelter hammer is the most fun weapon in the game

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Batigh posted:

Main weakness is spooky skulls tend to almost never originate from the bottom of the spell once cast, so if they close in quick enough they can practically ignore it.
Yeah, that seems to be an issue with Blinding Bolt, as well. I found that I could stand under the ball and generally suffer no consequence.

Blinding Bolt is fun to use in Shrine of Amana/other water places, though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm liking Raime's armor in combination with that I already had:

My OCD about only using 1 piece of a set rubs me though, here is a version with other gloves.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Recollection is the best spell in the game because it shoots spooky skull heads and no other spell does that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FROM, just throw my loving red orb into the shitter rather than summoning me into the world of russians and japanese folk. gently caress sake.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Can't you restrict online play to your native region in the PC version? I know it's there on consoles, just haven't checked on the PC yet.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It doesn't work anywhere, actually. There's only two regions: Japan and not-Japan.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Can't you restrict online play to your native region in the PC version? I know it's there on consoles, just haven't checked on the PC yet.
The PC version has the same option. But all it seems to do is divide the world up in Japan and not-Japan.

efb...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Astrochicken posted:

Lag really makes pvp in this game seem arbitrary and counterintuitive. I love getting stabbed midroll while the enemies' spear is like 10 feet away from me.

translation: I am terrible at dark souls 2 pvp and I'm too stupid to learn how to get better.

You just kind of have to learn how every weapon type works. Spears and katanas have some seriously bullshit hitboxes that you need to anticipate and roll from otherwise you can get hit at ridiculous angles/distances.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been playing through DS2 with a SL1 character and I reached the point where I am having a lot of trouble. Smelter Demon and the gargoyles are giving me a lot of trouble. Does anyone in the thread have any tips for a SL1 run? Items I should be looking for? Right now I am using a +6 raw mace as my main weapon.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Both Smelter and the Gargs are damage races due to passive burning/compounding enemies respectively, so getting your weapon to +10 will help you a lot with managing them in a reasonable amount of time.

Titanite chunks before Drangleic are: 1 in Harvest Valley, 1 in Shaded Woods, 4-5 in Tseldora, and you'll pick up a slab naturally from the Wandering Magus.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

cmykjester posted:

I've been playing through DS2 with a SL1 character and I reached the point where I am having a lot of trouble. Smelter Demon and the gargoyles are giving me a lot of trouble. Does anyone in the thread have any tips for a SL1 run? Items I should be looking for? Right now I am using a +6 raw mace as my main weapon.

I'd say just not use the mace. It's overrated. Sure, it does good damage against almost everything without any stat investment. But the moveset is crap. Range is very limited both on the Z and X axis.
Especially against the gargs being able to have a quick and powerful attack you don't have to be directly next to your opponent for can be a real charm. Now, I don't know what kind of weapon you can use with SL1 stats that does that. I personally prefer the Royal Greatsword as a weapon you can get fairly early on but that has too high requirements.
If I were to do a SL1 run one of my top priorities would be to get away from the mace. Though, maybe the mace is just the type of weapon you're good with, I dunno. In that case yeah, upgrade it. If you need Titanite Chunks you can also grind the weird hand things in Black Gulch, fyi.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing is there is pretty much nothing else besides the Mace that has a requirement under 6 dex, and twohanding I have 12 strength so I can use it. Other options are stuff like daggers and the broken sword.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Doesn't the Broadsword work as well? Granted it's not a weapon I'm fond off and I've never upgraded it ever but it may be worth a shot unless you really don't wanna switch because as far as damage goes I can totally understand why you'd pick the mace over something else.

E: some of the stat boost rings from the DLCs may expand weapon choice a little, but that also means you have to go through parts of the DLC to get them.

Really, the main reason I'm not doing an SL1 run is because the arsenal is very very limited.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Those giants that shoot lava out of their shoulders get to ignore walls entirely, it seems. One just blew itself up on the powder kegs by attacking the wall they were near. He was on the other side of the wall. There was a cliff in the way. Unfortunately it pooped out lava and killed me anyway.

e: Gosh the iron passage is hard without a shield. The lightning balls fired wreck me. And they rapid fire them! This is like the one place that two katanas isn't good in.

e: My much lighter character can't jump as far as my much heavier one so I died in Shulva. That's pretty stupid. Also the homing arrows enemies here get are obnoxious with no shield.

Also I'm glad I just need 1mil sm to get to Drangleic because gently caress fighting Freja with melee weapons. If the claymore is too short range that I have to be inside her head for the thrust to hurt her I can't imagine how using these katanas will work.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 6, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cmykjester posted:

Get the Flynn's Ring from the first DLC, do some bellbroing for chunks to get your mace to +10.

As for other weapons, once you got a mace+10, I'd suggest trying to go to and beating Sinh asap for the Crown of the Sunken King. That alone that's you use the Foot Soldier's Sword, and that + Dexterity Ring lets you use the Rapier.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maxy Boy posted:

The smelter hammer is the most fun weapon in the game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do you need to kill Nashandra or just the Throne Watcher and Defender to use a bonfire ascetic at the King's Gate bonfire to fight the twin pursuers?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I only have 9 estus uses on my current character and it's really bugging me as although I could just look the locations up it's been so long now I can't tell which ones I've missed.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Wurzag posted:

I only have 9 estus uses on my current character and it's really bugging me as although I could just look the locations up it's been so long now I can't tell which ones I've missed.

I only managed to get twelve once, on my first characater. Every one I've played after that hovers somewhere between 7 and 9 depending on how thorough I was, I just kinda deal with it. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I only went out of my way to get the maximum estus uses on my first character, now I just get the ones I remember are there and don't require me to go too far out of my way. I almost never remember to get the one in Harvest Valley or the Shrine of Amana.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

cmykjester posted:

They're both optional so you can wait a very long time (like after Nashandra) to fight them. Or dont fight them at all. But mainly yeah, get +10 and use weapon buff. +10 mace with buff is 3-4 swings per gargoyle I believe, but was not SL1 at the time, so it may take you 5. Smelter is just wear the gear you would wear if you were getting Fire Tempest (fire res +3, rainbow resist ring, flash sweat pyro, pharros mask etc) and dont get hit.

edit - Oh yeah and if you're Warrior, wear STR ring and two hand gyrm shield to completely neutralize Smelter as well.

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you need to kill Nashandra or just the Throne Watcher and Defender to use a bonfire ascetic at the King's Gate bonfire to fight the twin pursuers?

Yes, have to kill both phases of the boss, I remember from farming the crazy rare hat off the phantom in front of the doors.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 6, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I made a quick and dirty Estus Flask Shard checklist for myself when I feel like getting all of them, but I usually only get around 9.

Majula - well by the mansion
Majula - mansion behind the skeleton
FotG - room above the Cardinal Tower bonfire
Lost Bastille - behind the wall you can see from the McDuff's workshop
Shaded Woods - in one of the rooms by the Old Akerlarre bonfire
Shaded Woods - in room with Ornifex
No-Man's Wharf - in the room with poison jars in a chest
Harvest Valley - enter the lower level of Earthen Peak with the poison pool and wade through it to the right
Brightstone Cove Tseldora - illusionary wall before the Prowling Magus
Brightstone Cove Tseldora - in a building opposite the Lower Brighstone Cove bonfire
Drangleic Castle - in the hall with the Alonne Knight Captains on both sides
Shrine of Amana - in a chest at the end of winding path behind the ogre

e: spoilered just in case

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
All this talk of lore amounts to one thing: Bloodborne is going to be awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lordfrikk posted:

I made a quick and dirty Estus Flask Shard checklist for myself when I feel like getting all of them, but I usually only get around 9.

Majula - well by the mansion
Majula - mansion behind the skeleton
FotG - room above the Cardinal Tower bonfire
Lost Bastille - behind the wall you can see from the McDuff's workshop
Shaded Woods - in one of the rooms by the Old Akerlarre bonfire
Shaded Woods - in room with Ornifex
No-Man's Wharf - in the room with poison jars in a chest
Harvest Valley - enter the lower level of Earthen Peak with the poison pool and wade through it to the right
Brightstone Cove Tseldora - illusionary wall before the Prowling Magus
Brightstone Cove Tseldora - in a building opposite the Lower Brighstone Cove bonfire
Drangleic Castle - in the hall with the Alonne Knight Captains on both sides
Shrine of Amana - in a chest at the end of winding path behind the ogre

e: spoilered just in case

Here this will be a lot easier.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Estus+Flask+Shard

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, as already pointed this is basically Japan/not Japan. It's frustrating as hell because the time where latency is pretty good makes for some fantastic battles, but half the time it's just me stabbing someone from halfway across the room or them backstabbing me despite being a good ten feet in front.

I enjoy PVP in this game, I just hate how 'compensate for lag' is equatable with 'develop psychic powers'.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tallgeese posted:

It doesn't work anywhere, actually. There's only two regions: Japan and not-Japan.

Wow so all this time it's been working against me? I would get better ping if I connect with someone in Japan than in Europe or America, since I'm in Asia.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

It will, if you consider reading more text to be easier.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Being a good Sunbro in the second DLC is hard work. There are so many ways for players to own themselves - setting a flame head rolling and following it closely until it meets an explosive zombie, falling off a chain, waking up all three giants protecting the key at once. I have five medallions to show for 20 co-op sessions :mad:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do I have to go through the iron passage to continue in the second dlc? Or am I just missing a door somewhere. This place is a nightmare.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SHISHKABOB posted:

Do I have to go through the iron passage to continue in the second dlc? Or am I just missing a door somewhere. This place is a nightmare.

You're missing an elevator, it's on the same level as the entrance to the iron passage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sad Rhino posted:

Being a good Sunbro in the second DLC is hard work. There are so many ways for players to own themselves - setting a flame head rolling and following it closely until it meets an explosive zombie, falling off a chain, waking up all three giants protecting the key at once. I have five medallions to show for 20 co-op sessions :mad:

A real sunbro just waits outside the boss door because you don't get anything for the rest.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

A real sunbro just waits outside the boss door because you don't get anything for the rest.

A real sunbro is hear to be a co-op buddy, not just a monster exterminator.

Pretty sure I know the answer, but just to double check: if I'm only using the buff spells there's no point in spending shards on my catalyst, right? Free to just grab the staff from the woods and forget about it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, upgrading staves does nothing for the buffs. They're completely static.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Didn't they change that and they now affect the duration of the buff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, upgrading staves does nothing for the buffs. They're completely static.

Rad.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Didn't they change that and they now affect the duration of the buff?

I think it's just your stats that determine that.