Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-107-million-person-simcity-region-is-a-portrait-of-our-megacity-future

107 million sims region, 9 by 9 large cities. Pretty weird and neat and I wonder how fast or slow the recalculation of his traffic is.

Ah, using no mods, now that is a feat!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Keetron posted:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-107-million-person-simcity-region-is-a-portrait-of-our-megacity-future

107 million sims region, 9 by 9 large cities. Pretty weird and neat and I wonder how fast or slow the recalculation of his traffic is.

Sod that

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Keetron posted:

Still not optimally efficient:
- Too many roads consume valuable zoning space
- Inadequate subway system; most transit could be handled underground
- Intentionally devaluing high-wealth high-density areas could double population density
- Etc, etc
You could probably fit 3 million per tile if you actually tried.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

Still not optimally efficient:
- Too many roads consume valuable zoning space
- Inadequate subway system; most transit could be handled underground
- Intentionally devaluing high-wealth high-density areas could double population density
- Etc, etc
You could probably fit 3 million per tile if you actually tried.

With the third point, how do you keep desirability up for R$? R$$ and R$$$ are relatively easy to do with high density C$$ and C$$$, but I found that if you really want loads of slums all over the place, you need to go either IA or ID and both eat up huge tracks of land without providing many jobs, at least not enough. Is there a "Bangladesh sweatshop" mod that will put thousands of workers in regular IM or should I just go with the Industry jobs multiplier?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Keetron posted:

Still hasnt beat the record. :colbert:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Still hasnt beat the record. :colbert:

Is that mod free and 9*9?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Keetron posted:

Is that mod free and 9*9?

No, but it's loving gorgeous. :swoon:

Do you have a higher res screenshot?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have this weird graphical glitch in region view, do anyone know what could be causing it?

I'm running the OldFashioned pack 3.0 with a couple of extra buildings.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ThaumPenguin posted:

I have this weird graphical glitch in region view, do anyone know what could be causing it?

e: I'm a moron, ignore me! :downs:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I love the Fhuzo map but it crashes on me after a few minutes. Im guessing its to do with the terrain mod needed and the fact I have to run the game in software mode.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

It looks like a glitch in the region view generator when you save the file. Did you try to save and go back to region view once more?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Keetron posted:

It looks like a glitch in the region view generator when you save the file. Did you try to save and go back to region view once more?

Yup, I've had this bug for the last few days, I think it might have something to do with my custom resolution (1920*1200), so I'm gonna try setting it to one of the "normal" ones.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

As a side note, HappyHelmet, I really love your map(s) like the one in the most recent update, good work.

Thanks!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yup, I've had this bug for the last few days, I think it might have something to do with my custom resolution (1920*1200), so I'm gonna try setting it to one of the "normal" ones.

I'm pretty sure I've run into this issue before as well. Try change the resolution to the standard 1366x768, and see if that makes a difference for you.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

HappyHelmet posted:

I'm pretty sure I've run into this issue before as well. Try change the resolution to the standard 1366x768, and see if that makes a difference for you.

Doesn't seem like it worked; removed the custom resolution Launch Option, Switched to Software mode, entered a city, saved, exited to region, didn't change anything. I did all that over a couple of restarts though, so I might have missed something while doing it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm being very lazy but got a link to helmets map(s)?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

I'm being very lazy but got a link to helmets map(s)?

Here is the original (it's huge):
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11005-nwcrdn/

Here is the version version I made (4x3, large cities):
bmp:
grayscale:

Keep in mind I heavily modified that map using the in-game editor as well. You'll likely need to spend a few hours gussying things up to get it in a presentable state, but that's how it always goes with custom maps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
With a city of 30K-50K pop, is it normal that when on the fastest speed, entries in the (detailed) RCI graph change by 3000 or so every "tick"? As in, go from +1000 to -2000 instantly? (and then usually pop back sometime later)

I just have NAM, SPAM, Black Hole Garbage, and a bunch of SimGoober's BATs installed.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Doesn't seem like it worked; removed the custom resolution Launch Option, Switched to Software mode, entered a city, saved, exited to region, didn't change anything. I did all that over a couple of restarts though, so I might have missed something while doing it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Did you play in windowed mode and happen to adjust the window size somehow, like by moving it to the top of the screen in Windows 8 or something?

Because I used to get that exact problem When I did that- if the resolution was messed up in any way my plots wouldn't line up properly.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

With a city of 30K-50K pop, is it normal that when on the fastest speed, entries in the (detailed) RCI graph change by 3000 or so every "tick"? As in, go from +1000 to -2000 instantly? (and then usually pop back sometime later)

I just have NAM, SPAM, Black Hole Garbage, and a bunch of SimGoober's BATs installed.

This is something I encountered as well and I think it has to do with the build time for some bigger lots, especially mods.

What happens is that you have this +2000 or +5000 or whatever demand. This is an incentive by the engine to develop new buildings. Either a few bigger buildings start at the same time or while some are under development, they are not active so the demand is still present and more development starts. Sometimes, the unfinished buildings are build on a plot where something else was, removing the occupants and thus boosting demand up triggering more development.

After a while, these buildings are finished, taking a bite out of demand. If there is more in development then there is demand surplus, it will dip into the negative leading to either abandonment or a lack of future growth, but this is fine. Just do not assign more plots to that segment.

Something I have found myself is that demand is weird with regards to jobs. Businesses are fine having tons of open jobs and sims are fine being jobless. Especially unemployment is fine, you can have twice as many people than jobs in any given city in a region and there will still be demand for more houses, driven by regional demand. Getting true detroit style abandonment is hardly possible.

Found this on the internet:

quote:

Demand is a very important concept in SimCity. Without demand, no buildings will grow, therefore it is important to keep demand stable throughout the game. When you start a new city, you get some initial demand, once you start up your city, the demand should start to rise up.

Residential demand is created by having jobs in your city. Most commonly, this includes commercial and industrial jobs, but civic jobs raise residential demand as well.
Commercial demand is generated entirely by the amount of sims in your city.
Industrial demand is determined by the amount of goods transported.

There are also some ordnances that can raise or lower demand.

So basically, with C-demand growing based on population and population growth based on job, you can build huge rear end cities with nothing but C-based jobs. This is hardly news to many of us but leads to funny things where driving up R$ demand because we want to build slums can only be done by ID and IM for spacing reaons.

Anyway, if you run into demand issues just lower taxes for the segment you want to increase demand for. Unless it is a cap, then build the appropriate cap buster...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Keetron posted:

After a while, these buildings are finished, taking a bite out of demand. If there is more in development then there is demand surplus, it will dip into the negative leading to either abandonment or a lack of future growth, but this is fine. Just do not assign more plots to that segment.
Right, I kind of figured that was part of it (construction, abandonment, downgrading, upgrading, etc.) but ... my cities don't even have any high-density buildings. Is a few buildings completing (lets say they house 50 people each) enough to change the residential demand by 2000-4000? Seems like I'm missing something.

Now that I think of it, the demand bouncing is mostly the $$$ and HT bars. Maybe I'm right on the edge of education/desirability/something?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Is there another download location for the Oldfashioned v3? The one in the op exists, but downloads at single kB/s.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

KillHour posted:

No, but it's loving gorgeous. :swoon:

Do you have a higher res screenshot?

I wish. it's like 5 years old and I had to google to find it.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Is there another download location for the Oldfashioned v3? The one in the op exists, but downloads at single kB/s.

You sure it's not your connection? I'm getting solid 10Mbyte/s. Can someone else check please?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is there anywhere decent to upload my plugins to (not torrent)? Its over 3 GB, contains the old fashioned along with latest NAM and a butt gently caress tonne of other stuff. There is the odd duplicate and the very very very occasionally missed dependency is all.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tai posted:

Is there anywhere decent to upload my plugins to (not torrent)? Its over 3 GB, contains the old fashioned along with latest NAM and a butt gently caress tonne of other stuff. There is the odd duplicate and the very very very occasionally missed dependency is all.

Actually I used google drive myself, you get like 10Gb free or was it 15?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

There seems to be a problem with Oldfashioned 3.0, where HT industry does not grow beyond roads. ID and IM work fine, they fill up the entire plot with buildings, IH only grows next to roads leading to much empty allocated space. Also one of the buildings causes pollution and even tho it is medium, it fucks up the desirability for new development. Is this a feature or an undesired effect that will be fixed in 4.0?

I am using Oldfashioned on my laptop as it is lightweight vs my desktop modfolder which needs a powerhouse...

Looking forward to Tai's version and what is added (and if it still runs smooth on the laptop).

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll set it uploading once I go to sleep (and remember). Its not in a compressed DAT file. I'll be working on that at some point but it needs a lot of moving poo poo around.

Some of the stuff added:

Lots of plopabbles. From sky scrapers to shopping malls to low rise shops to new york style suburban garden houses.
Loads of park and mountain modular trails.
Huge logging camp modular set with freight stations, pubs, accommodation, warehouses etc
Modular shopping malls
Tonnes of monorail, freight, passenger and subway stations.

ON STREET BUS STATIONS

More police, fire, hospital and education stuff with various influence sizes including ones that cover the biggest tiles.
Loads of parks/tree's including the cash park. I admit, I use it as I'd rather build a realistic region rather then balance budget.
The SPAM farm mod. It's a big overhaul of the default one and zones it a lot better as well as adding ploppables.
A tonne of growable CS/CO/RS/IM/ID/HT
More parking ploppables. Use these, holy poo poo they make transport flow better.
Lots of aesthetic stuff like security fences, hedges, on street trees, avenue fillers, diagonal tile fillers, curve fillers etc etc
OF 3.0

Be warned, this file will have a jobs doubler mod in it so make sure to remove it if you don't want it in. It doesn't contain any of the other big mod changers like ordinance or demand mods in.

E - There are a few Ninja related transit things I'm missing a file for and glitch out. I just can't find it..
Cleanitrol has been run through it removing all files not related to SC4.
I'll add it tonight as I've just installed google drive.

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Be careful with on-street mods, some of them can seriously gently caress up the car traffic simulators by causing them to consider each time they pass a station as the end of a route and the start of a new one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MikeJF posted:

Be careful with on-street mods, some of them can seriously gently caress up the car traffic simulators by causing them to consider each time they pass a station as the end of a route and the start of a new one.

If it's RTMT I think it's okay, but that's pretty much the only on-street mod I trust.

Sounds like my kind of package Tai, and it's been awhile since I've played SC4 so I might just grab this once it's up and get to designing human settlements.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
As far as the on street bus station, yes it is RTMT. The only downside to it, is that its not considered a road connecter for painted zones for 1x1,1x2 and 1x3 tiles with the 1x being where it would touch the road.

Maltor
Sep 24, 2011
Very WIP region:

Center of region (there's a bit more to the region upriver)

Capital, New Amsterdam

I like to make really cramped, unplanned-looking cities, and then after they've all filled up and become a huge clusterfuck I like to try to impose urban planning on them, kind of like how it works in real life. Getting any kind of cohesive road system through this region was huge bitch, especially since I don't use diagonal bridges; I still tried to build them in places that would make more sense (shorter spans). Having to deal with all the islands and water is super fun, though.

Transportation Map

Early on New Amsterdam

Current

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
At the risk of asking a question that may have been answered several times (though I couldn't find it in the OP) does this game still require a connection to EA's servers?

It was a deal breaker when this game came out, as much as I wanted to play a new Sim City.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bell_ posted:

At the risk of asking a question that may have been answered several times (though I couldn't find it in the OP) does this game still require a connection to EA's servers?

It was a deal breaker when this game came out, as much as I wanted to play a new Sim City.

Wrong SimCity. This is SimCity 4, from 2003.

I believe an offline mode has been patched into SimCity 2013.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Play this one instead, it's cheaper and better.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Haha, awesome. And the screenshots you guys provided are just gorgeous :swoon:

I'll have a lot to learn! The last one I played was Sim City 2000, a long time ago.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Maltor posted:

Very WIP region:

Center of region (there's a bit more to the region upriver)

Capital, New Amsterdam

I like to make really cramped, unplanned-looking cities, and then after they've all filled up and become a huge clusterfuck I like to try to impose urban planning on them, kind of like how it works in real life. Getting any kind of cohesive road system through this region was huge bitch, especially since I don't use diagonal bridges; I still tried to build them in places that would make more sense (shorter spans). Having to deal with all the islands and water is super fun, though.

Transportation Map

Early on New Amsterdam

Current

Holy poo poo, this is a stellar looking city/region, awesome job.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Bell_ posted:

Haha, awesome. And the screenshots you guys provided are just gorgeous :swoon:

I'll have a lot to learn! The last one I played was Sim City 2000, a long time ago.

You pretty much know most of what you need to know to play Sim City 4 already. It's a bit more involved than 2000, but it's still sim city and the same basic tenets of gameplay still apply.

What you'll probably learn, though, is that Sim City 4 tends to be a bit more of a zen garden city sculptor than a challenging simulation. I mean, you can still play it with all the sim city gameplay conceits and have a good time, but if you start to get into adding lots and different mods and so forth, you'll find it becomes absurdly easy to make a profitable city without a ton of effort. And so, many people find this to be more of an interactive growing model kit than anything else.

Any way is a good way to play, just make sure that you install NAM, regardless of how you want to. The game just doesn't behave as well without it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Adding to what zxqv8 said, the only real pitfall (outside of one or two bugs) in SimCity 4 is adding city services too early in the city's lifespan. You can easily leave yourself in the hole if you plop down fire, police, healthcare, and schools for your 1,200 resident village. Be like a real government; ignore the cries of the people until it is actually necessary. No fire station until a fire breaks out. No cops until crime is endemic or a riot occurs. Healthcare and education are completely optional, depending on the type of city you're after.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg

Think thats a link to my plugin zip. Shows up for me anyway.

Few more points, it doesn't have terrain mod folder and some stuff doesn't show up till you place a 1x1 tile then the stuff appears in the menu. Just browse through it and you'll see them.

E - New link for updated mega pack.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Downloading now; is there a slope mod in it?

Also semi-related, are there ANY good beach/seaside mods out there? I can do good stuff with seawalls and what have you but anything that just slopes down to the water tends to look awful for me and the best I can do is have a barrier of trees along every non-seawalled shore. :smith:

• Locked thread