Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CannedMacabre posted:

Of course, if I ever saw somebody with a quill and ink well out in a Starbucks, I'd probably throw hot coffee on them.

Chances are they'll be wearing a fedora, so it's ok :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

CannedMacabre posted:

Speaking of ink wells, I haven't used a dip pen or quill in some time. I generally only do so for drawing (my lettering isn't for the eyes of others.) Is there anyone here that uses them for calligraphy or journal writing?

Of course, if I ever saw somebody with a quill and ink well out in a Starbucks, I'd probably throw hot coffee on them.

This is a correct response.

Don't ever be this much of a fuckin' toolbox:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
He even has a cane :allears:

I have a serious itch to get more pens and ink... Maybe I'll just get some samples from Goulet.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
What should I be saying to people who ask/reach for my pens at work and whatnot? I've noticed that since people always pass around cheap ballpoints without thinking, people will often reflexively reach for what is often a $200+ pen, which is something I'm not comfortable with (I don't think assuming that most people will gently caress up my pens without thinking is being a pompous rear end).

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Landsknecht posted:

What should I be saying to people who ask/reach for my pens at work and whatnot? I've noticed that since people always pass around cheap ballpoints without thinking, people will often reflexively reach for what is often a $200+ pen, which is something I'm not comfortable with (I don't think assuming that most people will gently caress up my pens without thinking is being a pompous rear end).

Take cheapo pens to work.

I've passed my jinhaos and my pilot varsity around at work. People like them (chinese pen more than the Varsity), and if they get hosed up, it is a very, very minor loss.

(So, always bring a cheapo backup)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
My Metro and Lamy Al-Star are the only two I own, and I bring them both to work.

And quite honestly usually what happens when I hand them to someone to use is they look at it confusedly and then ask me for a pilot g2.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I think part of the trick to keeping people away from your pens is to buy weird-looking ones. In that light I just got a Vac 700 with a B nib and am very happy with it. It fills the hand unlike my PiMet and the extra heft makes it a very comfortable writer. Still trying to master the feed cutoff though. It seems I have to unscrew the plunger and draw it out ever so slightly to ensure the nib doesn't dry up once the feed is exhausted. I'll probably just pop the O-ring off of the feed cut-off eventually because it's a minor hassle, but it is nice to know that unless I manage to crack the pen I won't have bulletproof black over everything especially since the pen holds about a gallon of the stuff.

Question: Where should I be looking for replacement silicon lube, as the pen was used and came with none?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Landsknecht posted:

What should I be saying to people who ask/reach for my pens at work and whatnot?
"That's a fountain pen, here's a biro you can use."

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Soricidus posted:

"That's a fountain pen, here's a biro you can use."

Basically this. I carry like 4 or 5 of the cheap company ballpoints at work because invariably someone's going to need a pen for something. Last time I gave a fountain pen to a coworker I heard the most horrible scraping noise, and that was the end of that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

EnsGDT posted:

My Metro and Lamy Al-Star are the only two I own, and I bring them both to work.

Solution: Get cheapo jinhaos :v:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

It seems I have to unscrew the plunger and draw it out ever so slightly to ensure the nib doesn't dry up once the feed is exhausted.

The manual that comes with new pens says to do exactly that.

For borrowing pens, someone snapped my Lamy Accent in half by pulling it apart like a snap cap (it's a screw off) and since then I just tell people, no, they can't borrow the one I'm using because it's delicate. If they actually want to try a fountain pen specifically I'll let them borrow a cheap pen with a stiff steel nib. The people I work with now know I'm into goofy pens though so it's usually not an issue. Having pens that don't look like regular pens helps too—I think the Accent fell victim because it looks pretty normal on the outside. No one is going to pick up one of my TWSBI's and think it's a ballpoint.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

powderific posted:

The manual that comes with new pens says to do exactly that.

Well that's good. I have the original box, spare O ring, disassembly tool, and a single sheet with diagrams for use, but no actual manual. I assumed that all I should have to do was unscew the tail end of pen to open the valve. Not an issue though, and I love that it won't vomit ink all over the place on flights. I have some Diamine Eclipse and a vac-20 bottle on the way.

Also emailed TWSBI about buying grease for the plunger. If I'm lucky they'll just send me a little.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Loucks posted:

Well that's good. I have the original box, spare O ring, disassembly tool, and a single sheet with diagrams for use, but no actual manual. I assumed that all I should have to do was unscew the tail end of pen to open the valve. Not an issue though, and I love that it won't vomit ink all over the place on flights. I have some Diamine Eclipse and a vac-20 bottle on the way.

Also emailed TWSBI about buying grease for the plunger. If I'm lucky they'll just send me a little.

It's not the same liquidy stuff you get with a TWSBI pen, but you can buy silicone grease at any hardware store or home center. It's in the plumbing section. That's the same kind of stuff Goulet and I Sell Pens sell, but for like $3 you'll get more than you'll ever need in your life. I've used it on all my pens just fine, you just need to apply it with your fingers or a cotton swab.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Visconti + Corsani collab: Homo Sapiens shape, celluloid body.

http://fpgeeks.com/2014/09/the-visconti-corsani-90th-anniversary-is-the-love-child-of-the-homo-sapiens-and-wall-street-le/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cobalt impurity posted:

This is a correct response.

Don't ever be this much of a fuckin' toolbox:

That's not a very good quill :spergin:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Went to Blackberry Farm here in Aurora Illinois today and toured the one room school house that was built in the 1850s. It had a tour guide dressed in the finery of a school teacher of that time, and on her desk was an ink pot with turkey and goose feather quills she made herself paired with a parchment journal, bound in leather she bought at a renn fair :swoon:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Looking for a decent, cheapish flex pen. Are the Noodler's Ahab pens worth a shot?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The fountain pen world came together and asked 'how can we get a cheap flex pen people can buy by the dozen and throw them away?'

Noodler answered the call with the Ahab flex pens.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I have two Ahabs. One of them had a lot of superficial flaws right out of the box, the other has a nib that's so shoddily made as to be unusable.

But they're :20bux: and come in a poo poo load of colours so knock yourself out!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Any other suggestions? I had a cheap flex that I liked writing with but I lost it ages ago. Can't remember the name of the brand.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Konrads are a little slimmer and easier to post for the same price. :v:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I got this Massdrop group buy for some more Metros, but where the hell are they!?

I think my next big ticket buy is going to be a Pilot Metal Falcon with a soft extra fine nib. The converter that it supports, the CON-70, is absolutely massive and a button filler, so it meets all my criteria of having a very fine nib (can make dots finer than a Rhodia pad!), huge ink capacity, and being a pleasure to write with (probably - I might have to stop by Maido in SF to see if they have one I can fiddle with).

Here's Goulet demonstrating and comparing the pen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1Ad2lSxtw

edit: also an instrumental demonstration of only the Metal Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-9LwJfGvQ4

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 8, 2014

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
I have an Ahab and I can't really say a bad thing about it. Expectations were low. I just wanted a demonstrator and a flex to play with, and I've never had any issues with it whatsoever. I use it often since the huge ink capacity means I can get through a work day reliably without having to refill.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I had an Ahab that literally smelled like poo poo and broke when I was trying to adjust it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got a demonstrator Konrad and swapped the flex nib for one of Goulet's italic nibs. It dries out really quickly compared to my other pens so I tend to not keep ink in it and just use it when I'm trying samples out. I like being able to completely dismantle it (it's sitting in pieces on my desk at the moment from the last time I cleaned it), and it does look neat being totally clear although unfortunately one of the samples I used a while back stained it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Landsknecht posted:

Usually shout "SCREW CAP" as they're trying to yank the cap off of one of my TWSBIs. Ok, not shout, but you know. Once the cap is off they see what they're dealing with.

But in all seriousness, I love letting folks try them out. They're usually too afraid of them to come close to damaging the nibs. But then again, I usually bring my $50ish pens to work, not the M600.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 8, 2014

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I got one(an Ahab) and didn't like it and it had a crack in the cap out of the box and a funny smell (that I perversely like). Don't waste your money on it. Get a TWSBI.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hellbeard posted:

Get a TWSBI.

I can't reiterate this strongly enough. TWSBI makes fantastic pens. I love my Diamond 580 and I use it daily.

This is a bit off of that subject, but yesterday I had to fill out a form and the TWSBI wasn't in reach, so I was pleased to see that after months of neglect, my Esterbrook LJ still writes like brand new. I only had to wipe a bit of dried ink off the nib. If you ever get the opportunity to buy a vintage pen for cheap and restore it, do so.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I can't reiterate this strongly enough. TWSBI makes fantastic pens. I love my Diamond 580 and I use it daily.

I have a 540 and a 700 right here on my desk and they're both amazing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TWSBI's strength isn't even their pens, it's their loving incredible customer service.
I think the only thing they haven't replaced free, without question, on my original ROC 540 is the nib.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have an Ahab that someone got me for a secret santa present last year and it works fine, but i didn't have any weird smells or cracked cap. It had a cool drawing that came with it too!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hellbeard posted:

I got one(an Ahab) and didn't like it and it had a crack in the cap out of the box and a funny smell (that I perversely like). Don't waste your money on it. Get a TWSBI.
Surely the whole reason we're talking about Ahabs is because someone wanted a cheap flex pen? And TWSBI nibs, for all their virtues, are about as far from flex as you can get.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

I'm having a lot of problems with my platinum preppy blotting and I'm not sure if it's me, if it's the paper, if it's the pen..

I write on cheap composition notebooks. around every 4 pages of notes I get at least one large blob. It seems to get a lot wetter right before it blobs, and sometimes I can catch the blob hanging out on the back of the nib and wipe it off on something other than my notes.

is my cheap paper sucking the ink out too fast? I keep the pen pretty much completely full everyday, to try and rule that out. am I writing too slowly or something..?

everything I've seen says "keep the pen full" and "use thicker inks", I'm using Noodler's HoD, which I thought to be thicker than average?

I don't mind modifying the feed but don't want to mess it up if it's me and not the pen.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

shallowj posted:

I'm having a lot of problems with my platinum preppy blotting and I'm not sure if it's me, if it's the paper, if it's the pen..

I write on cheap composition notebooks. around every 4 pages of notes I get at least one large blob. It seems to get a lot wetter right before it blobs, and sometimes I can catch the blob hanging out on the back of the nib and wipe it off on something other than my notes.

is my cheap paper sucking the ink out too fast? I keep the pen pretty much completely full everyday, to try and rule that out. am I writing too slowly or something..?

everything I've seen says "keep the pen full" and "use thicker inks", I'm using Noodler's HoD, which I thought to be thicker than average?

I don't mind modifying the feed but don't want to mess it up if it's me and not the pen.

It's the pen. The Platinum Preppy simply isn't as good as the hype. It's cheap. That's the only thing special about it. It will blob out ink, a lot, if you are using it as an "eyedropper" instead of cartridges. The most common response is that you have to keep it almost completely full of ink at all times to minimize the amount of air inside that can heat up from your hand and expand to push out the ink blob, with makes the pen very un-functional for common use.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had exactly the same issue with HoD, and keeping it filled up solved the blob issue, but it's not a pen I'd carry around; I usually just keep it on my pencil case on my desk and reach for it if I don't have any of the other pens around. It writes well enough for a free pen, I guess.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

My credit card decided to trigger fraud protection on the Hobonichi store.
If anyone can snag the newly-restocked Onett 2 cover + pencil board bundle I'd be more than happy to slide a few extra bucks your way via PayPal (or whatever) to cover your trouble, postage and time.
They're supposed to ship mid-December, but I'd of course slide you the funds immediately.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I had exactly the same issue with HoD, and keeping it filled up solved the blob issue, but it's not a pen I'd carry around; I usually just keep it on my pencil case on my desk and reach for it if I don't have any of the other pens around. It writes well enough for a free pen, I guess.

HoD has never blobbed on me. I modified my own pen, though, and I am using a real, branded Preppy. If anything, it writes a little dry. I repaired a crack in the cap with some duct tape, and the rubber gasket is super fat, but it's actually my favorite desk pen. No way does that pen go in my purse unless it's in a plastic bag in the pen care.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, I didn't mean the ink itself was causing the issues, I was just echoing shallowj's issues with the preppy that came free with HoD. I've never actually used the pen with another ink, to be honest, as it'd be a bitch to fill without an eyedropper and it carries so much ink that I won't need refilling it for about 5 more years.
On re-reading my post, though, it does read like I'm complaining about the ink, so sorry about the mixup. :v:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Soricidus posted:

Surely the whole reason we're talking about Ahabs is because someone wanted a cheap flex pen? And TWSBI nibs, for all their virtues, are about as far from flex as you can get.

Hmmm... I still can't recommend it.
I did not find the Ahab flex to make much difference.
Dip pens got some pretty wicked flex nibs and are very inexpensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

iostream.h posted:

My credit card decided to trigger fraud protection on the Hobonichi store.
If anyone can snag the newly-restocked Onett 2 cover + pencil board bundle I'd be more than happy to slide a few extra bucks your way via PayPal (or whatever) to cover your trouble, postage and time.
They're supposed to ship mid-December, but I'd of course slide you the funds immediately.

Sent you a PM if you are still having trouble.