Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

farraday posted:

There are some things here people should know.

The Average age of a woman having her first child in Russia is about 24. Coincidentally it is almost 24 years since the fall of the SU and the resulting birth rate collapse. that that means is at this point women are going to be aging out of child bearing age ranges faster than they're entering them. Here's an estimate of what we're looking at.

Russia is literally at the steepest part of their birth rate right now and their population growth is still basically 0. They will start contracting again within a decade. Mark adomis is either completely unaware of this fact or is basically promising you gold prices will keep going up UP UP.
I didn't consider that, but that's a good point. Time to increase immigration then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

How do they think the US stole the government in Kiev? Is this some sort of bizzaro world where if they say that the US was behind the coup enough it'll suddenly become true? The US has done enough dumb things, people don't need to make things up.

This picture, I think, had something to do with it.

"U.S. Senator John McCain, right, meets Ukrainian opposition leaders Arseniy Yatsenyuk, left, and Oleh Tyahnybok in Kiev, Ukraine, Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013."

http://voiceofdetroit.net/2014/03/02/is-the-u-s-backing-neo-nazis-in-ukraine/#sthash.71yrRnsp.dpuf

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

eXXon posted:

:rolleyes:

If they're going to write garbage like this they should at least make sure to clarify that this is supposed to be an interpretation of Russia's viewpoint, not anything objective.

efb

I assume what they meant was that the Russian government genuinely believes that the US effected a coup in Ukraine, rather than it just being their propaganda narrative, but yeah I was confused by that as well. I guess it is a plausible interpretation in that sense, that the Russians stole Crimea because they thought the US stole Ukraine.

e: I should probably also clarify that I don't agree with them which is why I wrote in the first place (I just said I think they're giving too much credence to Russia's official viewpoints and I don't share their confidence in Putin's objectives in Ukraine being limited).

Zohar fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 6, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last I checked a dumb rear end senator isn't a head of state and can go around doing whatever he wants to, so I don't really see what the picture has to do with anything. I mean, the Russians can believe what ever tripe they want to believe, but having the whole line repeated in this thread is pretty dumb. Everyone here knows better than to think the US stole the Ukraine.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I didn't consider that, but that's a good point. Time to increase immigration then.

Why increase immigration when you can just conduct Mourning Wars?

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Fabulous Knight posted:

Russia's population is growing. I don't know, maybe it's not permanent and annexing Crimea and three million people helped, but that's in addition to natural growth.

Some stuff on the subject:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2014/08/18/russias-total-fertility-rate-is-rapidly-converging-with-americas/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2014/09/03/8-things-masha-gessen-got-wrong-about-russian-demography/

Those articles didn't seem to differentiate between birth rates of ethnic Russians and the birth rates of other minorities in Russia. Everything I've read seems to show the Muslim minorities birth rates are higher then ethnic Russians and the authors of these articles did not seem to specify if they meant ethnic Russians or simply having a Russian passport = Russian. Russian minorities especially the Muslim Russians in the Caucasus area probably have little loyalty to the current regime.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

farraday posted:

Russia is literally at the steepest part of their birth rate right now and their population growth is still basically 0. They will start contracting again within a decade. Mark adomis is either completely unawar eof this fact or is basically promising you gold prices will keep going up UP UP.

I don't think you've ever read any of his articles if you're making this claim. He's always stated that eventually the russian birth rate will decline because of the smaller cohort born during the 1990's. Reading comprehension is some hard poo poo, it's okay, you're not alone in this thread.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Panas posted:

I don't think you've ever read any of his articles if you're making this claim. He's always stated that eventually the russian birth rate will decline because of the smaller cohort born during the 1990's. Reading comprehension is some hard poo poo, it's okay, you're not alone in this thread.

Go ahead and quote where he said that in either linked article. It shouldn't be too hard considering he always says that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zohar posted:

I assume what they meant was that the Russian government genuinely believes that the US effected a coup in Ukraine, rather than it just being their propaganda narrative, but yeah I was confused by that as well. I guess it is a plausible interpretation in that sense, that the Russians stole Crimea because they thought the US stole Ukraine.

Russia probably really does believe that, because of utter contempt they have for the Ukrainian people, with a corresponding belief in their lack of agency.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Last I checked a dumb rear end senator isn't a head of state and can go around doing whatever he wants to

...a nuance that's probably lost on a country whose Duma marches in precise lockstep with Mr. Putin.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, like I said, the Russians can believe in whatever crazy conspiracy they want to. I don't buy it from anyone in this thread. Neither do I think the people in charge of Russia are that dumb either. If they are though, it's not exactly worrying. There aren't many non-NATO countries left for them to slice up.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Yeah, like I said, the Russians can believe in whatever crazy conspiracy they want to. I don't buy it from anyone in this thread. Neither do I think the people in charge of Russia are that dumb either. If they are though, it's not exactly worrying. There aren't many non-NATO countries left for them to slice up.
Estonia is in nato, didn't stop them from kidnapping officer across the border...

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Well, it sounds like NightWatch thinks they're on course for a confrontation with NATO of some sort in the Baltics, so yeah.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Forgall posted:

Estonia is in nato, didn't stop them from kidnapping officer across the border...

We don't really know all the details of that, and that's still far away from an actual invasion.

Zohar posted:

Well, it sounds like NightWatch thinks they're on course for a confrontation with NATO of some sort in the Baltics, so yeah.

I know they do, but they also seem to think that the US stole Kiev. They may have a good finger on what Russia is going to do though, and seem to have had a good idea of what Russia would do so far in this conflict, but their understanding of the situation seems a bit stymied. I still trust that the Russians aren't as incredibly dumb as to try any Tom Clancy Red Storm Rising style BS against an actual NATO member. Most likely I think they'll do more cold war style posturing, which doesn't really worry me since the US could outspend them alone with out even involving the rest of NATO, and I don't see any ultimate winner of a cold war style conflict other than NATO.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
This thread really makes me want to read some of Clancy's earlier books again. Am I the only one?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

OhYeah posted:

This thread really makes me want to read some of Clancy's earlier books again. Am I the only one?

Maybe I'll go and pick up red storm rising from the library today. :unsmigghh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, what's on RT? IS to become a contractor to NATO, yep, that's good old RT alright.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Estonian officer who was kidnapped yesterday is in Moscow now, according to this Polish source.

http://www.rmf24.pl/fakty/swiat/news-estonski-oficer-przewieziony-do-moskwy-media-to-porwanie,nId,1496447

quote:

The officer Estonian Internal Security Service was transferred to Moscow - said the Minister Urmas Paet Foreign Affairs. How to inform the Estonian media, the officer was yesterday "kidnapped" from the country near the border with Russia.

How Paet gave in an interview with Internet portal delfi.ee, for now, the Estonian authorities want to contact with the Russian side to "as soon as possible to resolve this matter." So far Russia maintains that the stopping officer Eston Kohvera, prevented operations services on the territory of Russia.

Meanwhile, the Estonian Security Service claims that the Russians entered the territory of Estonia and the officer stopped there. Witnessing have about including footprints that appear on the Russian side of the border and back into it.

According to Tallinn, the incident occurred near the checkpoint Luhamaa. Estonian officer, he served as the official control, prevention of cross-border crime. Agency BNS reports that the attackers have used physical force against him and threatened him weapons. The Agency adds that before the abduction occurred operational interference to radio communications. Posted a smoke grenade "from the direction of Russia."

On the other hand, according to the Russian Federal Security Service, the officer was detained on the territory of Russia, in the region of Pskov. FSB says that he had a gun, cash value of 5000 euros, specialized equipment to secretly record audio and instructions for intelligence gathering. Initiated an investigation against him.

The president of Estonia made a statement yesterday that the officer was on Estonian soil when he was abducted and they have the evidence to prove it. The Russian story has changed a couple of times, but it now seems they are saying he was in Russia at the time he was detained.

Here's an Estonian link with video.

http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudised/valismaa/video-fsb-toimetas-kohveri-moskvasse?id=69685977

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 6, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cat Mattress posted:

Meanwhile, what's on RT? IS to become a contractor to NATO, yep, that's good old RT alright.

This has to be the most schizophrenic news site ever :psyduck:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Cat Mattress posted:

Man, I used to read Pepe Escobar pretty regularly. He always had this annoying anything-the-West-does-is-bad tendency but since the start of this crap he's become a total, paid-for Russian shill and it's kind of sad.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

timma85 posted:

Those articles didn't seem to differentiate between birth rates of ethnic Russians and the birth rates of other minorities in Russia. Everything I've read seems to show the Muslim minorities birth rates are higher then ethnic Russians and the authors of these articles did not seem to specify if they meant ethnic Russians or simply having a Russian passport = Russian. Russian minorities especially the Muslim Russians in the Caucasus area probably have little loyalty to the current regime.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

farraday posted:

There are some things here people should know.

The Average age of a woman having her first child in Russia is about 24. Coincidentally it is almost 24 years since the fall of the SU and the resulting birth rate collapse. that that means is at this point women are going to be aging out of child bearing age ranges faster than they're entering them. Here's an estimate of what we're looking at.

Russia is literally at the steepest part of their birth rate right now and their population growth is still basically 0. They will start contracting again within a decade. Mark adomis is either completely unawar eof this fact or is basically promising you gold prices will keep going up UP UP.

Alright, I did not consider that at all. It does make sense.

I mean, I do hope you're right and Russia continues dying out. I've been worried about this trend possibly being reversed :)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, I'm saying "Russia is not currently as independent and influential in the world as Brazil."

Right, and I showed you how you were 100% wrong to say this. Maybe you should stop pulling things out of your rear end, especially when multiple people have told you you're wrong on the topic.

quote:

Russia should've realized how its refusal to completely disarm its nuclear stockpile would influence NATO's perception of them as remaining a threat.

Russia has actually been much more enthusiastic about arms reduction treaties over the past 20 years than the US, so...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Then the problem is the expansion, because there was nothing NATO could really do about the disparity of strength unless it decided to actively subsidize the Russian military.

Right, I'm not saying NATO was wrong to not draw down its strength to Russian levels - I'm just saying that it's a factor in the "Balance of Threat."

quote:

As you yourself has pointed out, Russia still has a bunch of nukes. What difference does NATO bordering Russia really make, except ensure the independence of states wishing to remain independent of Russia? Unless that is encroaching on Russia in itself. Does the independence of Russia include a sphere of influence big enough that Russia can exist as an autarky?

Well, once again, I go back to Mearscheimer's example: would the US be okay with a Chinese-led alliance that was intent on containing the US expanding into Mexico? The answer is almost certainly "no." Ukraine may have better reasons for joining NATO than Mexico would have in joining the hypothetical Chinese-led alliance, but it doesn't change the fact that the US would be pretty justified in feeling threatened. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, when you have National Endowment for Democracy President Carl Gershman saying this about the overthrow of Yanukovych...

quote:

“Ukraine’s choice to join Europe will accelerate the demise of the ideology of Russian imperialism that Putin represents...Russians, too, face a choice, and Putin may find himself on the losing end not just in the near abroad but within Russia itself.”

...then yeah, again - it's hard to blame the Russian government for feeling threatened.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 6, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Speaking of international analysis - does anyone have some handy links for geopol analysis websites that are actually, you know, good?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Fabulous Knight posted:

Russia's population is growing. I don't know, maybe it's not permanent and annexing Crimea and three million people helped, but that's in addition to natural growth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2014/08/18/russias-total-fertility-rate-is-rapidly-converging-with-americas/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2014/09/03/8-things-masha-gessen-got-wrong-about-russian-demography/

Mark Adomanis is basically mightypeon with a newspaper column, if this comparison helps the thread. Mark's entire shtick is talking about how great and amazing Putin's Russia has become, plus "debunking" any portrayal of Russia as a kleptocratic corrupt shithole as outdated American propaganda used to scare EU business away from Russia and toward the US. His favorite past-time earlier this year was squirming and distancing himself from Russia's annexation of Crimea, but looks like it's all back to normal now.

If you're actually interested in the topic, you can look here, but you will need google translate: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2014/0601/tema01.php. That's just their more recent analysis, if I search further into the archives, I can find more.

I wouldn't recommend you do that though, since you will be revealing yourself participating in anti-Russian slander and sabotage, get arrested and sent to the GULAG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Census_(1937) ;) :ussr:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

double nine posted:

Speaking of international analysis - does anyone have some handy links for geopol analysis websites that are actually, you know, good?

Some of the blogs on Foreign Policy are pretty good - I especially like Steve Walt's. Jeffrey Lewis' one there is pretty good too, but I like his main one at https://armscontrolwonk.com. It all depends on what type of geopolitics you're interested in though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Typo posted:

Paradox Victoria II style Great Power rankings:

USA
PRC
Germany
India
Russia
UK
France
Japan

If UK/France ever manages to achieve the "form EU" event, then they'll go all the way up to #1

USA would have a smaller economy but I think their military power rating would firmly keep them at #1

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fabulous Knight posted:

No, CIS is just this really useless association of post-Soviet states. I'm not sure what they do exactly. It was meant to be a sort of Commonwealth equivalent, but it's not even that. You are perhaps thinking of the Collective Security Treaty Organization, which is a Russia-led military alliance of sorts, featuring the usual suspects in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. They don't make a lot of noise. Several post-Soviet states were members in the 90s but left for different reasons.

A NATO-style alliance led by Russia could actually be a good idea, if it helps sooth their concerns about NATO creeping on their borders. Better than that invading sovereign states and making land grabs around them. They're going to need like Iran in there though to be credible at all.

The most major thing the commonwealth was involved in over the past 2 decades or so was participating in international sporting events as a unified team.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

How do they think the US stole the government in Kiev? Is this some sort of bizzaro world where if they say that the US was behind the coup enough it'll suddenly become true? The US has done enough dumb things, people don't need to make things up.

Also how is it supposed to be a "coup" if the military wasn't involved?

hint: Russia is terrified of domestic protest!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

USA would have a smaller economy but I think their military power rating would firmly keep them at #1
One need only look at carriers to get a sense of this: The US has more carriers than everyone else combined.

Majorian posted:

Right, I'm not saying NATO was wrong to not draw down its strength to Russian levels - I'm just saying that it's a factor in the "Balance of Threat."

Majorian posted:

Well, once again, I go back to Mearscheimer's example: would the US be okay with a Chinese-led alliance that was intent on containing the US expanding into Mexico? The answer is almost certainly "no." Ukraine may have better reasons for joining NATO than Mexico would have in joining the hypothetical Chinese-led alliance, but it doesn't change the fact that the US would be pretty justified in feeling threatened. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, when you have National Endowment for Democracy President Carl Gershman saying this about the overthrow of Yanukovych...

...then yeah, again - it's hard to blame the Russian government for feeling threatened.
It all essentially comes back to Russia wanting to be its own pole in a multipolar world. Being opposed to the imperialist ideology Putin represents is only a threat to Putin because he espouses it. Sure, if the ideology being opposed was a positive anti-imperialist one then people would probably be sympathetic, but it's the exact opposite. The Russian government is/feels threatened because other states other states oppose their inherently aggressive and threatening ideology, not just because they're Russians.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It all essentially comes back to Russia wanting to be its own pole in a multipolar world.

Well, at this point I think they'd settle for being treated as a Great Power, which they are, by any meaningful definition.

quote:

Being opposed to the imperialist ideology Putin represents is only a threat to Putin because he espouses it.

Well, but as you can imagine, the Russian people don't exactly cotton to Westerners coming in and telling them that they need to reorganize their government and relationship to the state. They feel like they tried that once already, and it turned out very poorly for them. That's what Mearscheimer is talking about when he cites Russian perceptions of "social engineering." They see their former client-states joining NATO and the EU, and they're afraid that once they're encircled, they'll be forced to basically go through the 90's again. It's not just Putin and his cronies that feel threatened by the possibility of Ukraine joining the Western orbit.

Also, although the ABM sites that were supposed to be stationed in Poland, and may still be there someday, probably wouldn't have ever become a real threat to Russia's ability to maintain strategic parity, Russia interprets that as basically a violation of the bilateral understanding. Once that line is crossed, they reason, what else is NATO going to station in former Warsaw Pact states? How long can Russia guarantee a second-strike ability against the US?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

double nine posted:

For this area? https://eurasianet.org

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlwMZ2zZVc

This was posted on Reddit earlier today, I went through this thread and the last and don't think it's been posted here yet -- sorry if it has. It's Yatsenyuk commenting on the situation without realising he was being recorded:

quote:

It's an undisguised Russian aggression out there now. Their army.

In Mariupol - their forces. Mariupol is Russian. In Novoazovsk - Russian forces. Army. Regular Russian army. These are not terrorists, not people of Donetsk, not mercenaries. Regular Russian army. Pskov, Rostov divisions.

All those sanctions, they are useless. They did not help...

We can cope with Russian terrorists, but with the Russian army... that has 1,100,000 troops. Troops that went through Abkhazia, Ossetia, Chechnya. They have equipment that we don't. We don't even know what equipment they have, but we can see that they are shooting at us with great precision. Their artillery, their rockets are steps ahead of ours.

He seems utterly defeated from the video.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zohar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlwMZ2zZVc

This was posted on Reddit earlier today, I went through this thread and the last and don't think it's been posted here yet -- sorry if it has. It's Yatsenyuk commenting on the situation without realising he was being recorded:

Who was he saying this to? I never thought I'd feel bad for him.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Fabulous Knight posted:

Except that's largely occuring in Muslim areas and the Russian Central government is....shall we say disturbed by this.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Fabulous Knight posted:

Alright, I did not consider that at all. It does make sense.

I mean, I do hope you're right and Russia continues dying out. I've been worried about this trend possibly being reversed :)

No offense but that's just a little bit extreme, I don't particularly want any people to die out

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DarkCrawler posted:

USA also has really high prestige score even after they took a hit to it after the NSA event

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Typo posted:

No offense but that's just a little bit extreme, I don't particularly want any people to die out

Yeah, plus an imploding Russia serves no one but extremist groups and possibly China. It would be a huge power vacuum and an even huger proliferation risk.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I have a feeling the Russians wouldn't go out quietly, also population growth has stabilized.

That said, it is interesting to see how the discussion has turned toward hatred/desire of death of ethnically Russian people themselves. It is pretty interesting to "justifiable xenophobia."

As far as shock therapy, it didn't just have a mixed result in the former Soviet Union, not all of Eastern Europe did very well with it especially Hungary. I am also skeptical that Western advisers didn't foresee some of the problems with it and urged the Russians to push on anyway.

Either way, a big part of shock therapy was that unprofitable state firms would be shut down immediately, considering the number of factory towns in the former Soviet Union that meant numerous communities would instantly be flattened and it is pretty predictable the political influence such an event is going to have on a population. The IMF made it worse and Russia only recovered largely in part (ironically enough) of Glass-Steagall and energy speculation in the 2000s.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling the Russians wouldn't go out quietly, also population growth has stabilized.

That said, it is interesting to see how the discussion has turned toward hatred/desire of death of ethnically Russian people themselves. It is pretty interesting to "justifiable xenophobia."
Oh gently caress off you sanctimonious poo poo. No one is as gung-ho about a bit of ethnic cleansing as russians are.

• Locked thread