Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Yes indeed, bookmarks are back and they don't entirely suck! It at least seems that Opera Developer (25.0) is starting to catch up with... every other browser on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A few years ago I started having a problem where I wanted to access my bookmarks on a $device. Browsers just didn't cut it anymore so I moved to Evernote. It even has a webui if you are somewhere without an app.

Of course that doesn't solve the problem with Opera's bookmarks, but it's easier when bookmarks aren't tied to a browser.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Since about yesterday, when I do a Google image search with old Opera, I get a list of images with some text below them. Clicking on the image brings me to the website of the image.

It used to be that I got just the images with no text, and clicking just gave me a larger version of the image, with a sidebar with 'visit page' and 'view image' and related images and poo poo.

Any idea how I can get it back to that? All my other browsers still do it the 'correct' way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

uXs posted:

Since about yesterday, when I do a Google image search with old Opera, I get a list of images with some text below them. Clicking on the image brings me to the website of the image.

It used to be that I got just the images with no text, and clicking just gave me a larger version of the image, with a sidebar with 'visit page' and 'view image' and related images and poo poo.

Any idea how I can get it back to that? All my other browsers still do it the 'correct' way.

For some reason some Google sites have started identifying Opera 12 as a tablet or phone. I've got it set as "mask as internet explorer" to make image search and Calendar both work correctly.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Edit: Yep, seems Mask as IE on google.com reverted it back to working.

Just in the last day or so Google image reverse search stopped working correctly. It would go through the process and open a long Google url but would only display the basic Google search page and not the results. Maybe it's related.

Edit: ye olde opera 12.15

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 29, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tiggum posted:

For some reason some Google sites have started identifying Opera 12 as a tablet or phone. I've got it set as "mask as internet explorer" to make image search and Calendar both work correctly.

The McDonald's site also does that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tiggum posted:

Aw gently caress yeah, thanks. I had tried masking as Firefox but that didn't work.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Hi, went to download Opera so I could browse without images for a while and lo and behold Opera is basically Chrome now. What happened!? Where can I get the oldschool opera, that I loved for dialup and jiggery-hackery?

Currently using Palemoon :gerty:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

froward posted:

Hi, went to download Opera so I could browse without images for a while and lo and behold Opera is basically Chrome now. What happened!? Where can I get the oldschool opera, that I loved for dialup and jiggery-hackery?

Currently using Palemoon :gerty:

You want to search for "opera 12". The latest version is 12.17. It's my day-to-day standard browser.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Opera 12 was getting a bit laggy, so I looked at its information in process explorer. It was using 7.2 GB of ram. Then again, I had started it on 12th August. I use Firefox as my other constantly running browser and it has crashed innumerably many times in the same span.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Oh thank God, finally Opera 25 (in the Opera Next channel) re-introduced the bookmarks properly in the main menu! Ofcourse, in the meantime I was using all the substitutes, and I currently have folders in the bookmark bar, and a ton of mess of folders and pages in the speed dial.

Also, speed dial now has a new optional look which, for some reason when selected, it set the browser mode to "mobile" and a forum I frequent now shows its mobile version by default....
It kind of looks like Windows 8 tiles too, and it's way too colorful and obscure for my taste, so that's probably why I'll be reverting to the more classic speed dial view, with the overview/screenshot icons.

Still problems with the embedded flash videos.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 16, 2014

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

It's getting really close to the point where I'm going to have to abandon Opera 12. I'm finding that an increasingly large number of sites that load images dynamically conk out now. Really common for images to stop loading on tumblr, twitter usually packs up once it's been open a day or so, lots of shops don't load properly. I've even seen it happen on amazon search results a few times. It seems to be that there's a commonplace scripting method that somewhere between Opera and my lovely Talktalk internet totally explodes, and when you scroll down, images stop loading, and the site becomes completely unresponsive and Opera eventually says it can't connect. Even though if you ask downforeveryone while this is going on, the site is unsurprisingly fine, and you can't reproduce the behaviour in Chrome.

Also, anyone else finding that duckduckgo sometimes crashes the browser lately? It seems to be when you're searching for a person and it returns results that include some kind of twitter embed.

Looking at the newer not-really-Opera builds, it seems like the stuff I really consider critical to the way I use Opera is mostly there, although some of it is in a crapper version of what was there before, but there's one big feature I can't remember being mentioned - content blocking. I use that a lot because I don't want to blanket block all ads, just selectively block the really obnoxious stuff. Sites that detect adblock don't seem to spit their dummy about that kind of blocking either.

How easy is it to install a newer (stable) version to try out without hosing my 12 install?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Shallow posted:

How easy is it to install a newer (stable) version to try out without hosing my 12 install?

I'm pretty sure newer versions install in their own folders instead of a generic Opera folder so you should be fine with just installing the latest one or whatever.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I think even Opera 12 supports portable installations. 25 or whichever version's portable installation might still try to import bookmarks and stuff; not real sure on that. I'd recommend Sandboxie jic but apparently it broke a few dev versions ago, should work if you wanted to use the latest final (or the one before). I'd have to check content blocking but I don't think it has it built in; there's extensions that work similar and you could likely use whatever's popular on Chrome (AdBlockPlus has element hiding, something called ContentBlockHelper which is also on Opera's if you don't want to bypass it [is that still required?]). Shows how much I use Opera 25 nowadays!

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The login page at my new job doesn't load correctly in Opera 12 so I am using Chrome; I don't know how people actually like using Chrome, good lord it sucks.

I do find myself offloading more and more temperamental pages from Opera 12 to IE at home though. Web 2.0 and beyond hasn't just ruined the internet, it is also killing Opera. :(

PS: you can have Opera 12 and Opera Next on the same computer without issues, not sure about their "stable" newfangled Opera though

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
In 2014 there is only one correct way to use Opera 12, since most websites are hilariously fractured and work better or worse in any one of the 4 main browser families of Opera, Firefox, Chrome and IE (there's also Safari but who cares about Safari):

Have buttons and right-click menu entries to load the current or linked to page in a different browser.

That way you can use Opera 12 as your central browser, and for anything you find doesn't work correctly in it, or you know doesn't work correctly in it, you can switch to another browser near-instantly.

It's fairly simple to add and i've described the method here:

Mithaldu posted:

find this and edit this

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Well, I tried the next version for 15 minutes. It's horrible. The Fisher-Price low-text bookmarks were a particular highlight in its shitness, you have no real ability to make the most basic functional changes to the interface, having opera:config just go to the worthlessly limited settings page was a true delight, the "new start page" suffers from the same stupid tabletised interface as the bookmarks... Absolutely foul.

Also it seems you can't set a search engine you add yourself as the default.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just pretend Opera the browser is dead (since it is) and just go to a heavy addon copy of Firefox or Chrome instead. :smith: It's only an hour of annoyance in set up, then you can just have a working browser that's almost what you're used to without worrying about sites constantly breaking as it gets creakingly out of date.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Asimo posted:

constantly breaking
Dear Goons,

Please stop overexaggerating when it's not for actual comedic effect. You're not helping anyone with this bullshit.

Cheers,
A Grumpy German

Shallow posted:

Absolutely foul.
Chromera is merely the beard for a company that only lives for the mobile market, but wishes to pretend to still do anything for the desktop.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Does anything other than Opera 12 have functional gestures at this point? That's like 90% of what I care about.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

spoon0042 posted:

Does anything other than Opera 12 have functional gestures at this point? That's like 90% of what I care about.

Depends on what you mean with gestures. There's addons to recognize mouse movements for both chrome and ff, but there doesn't seem to be one to do right-click scroll as Opera 12 can, and i'm unclear on the state of rocker gestures.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I've got "Gestures for Google Chrome" and it can handle the rocker gestures and some basic things, but out of the box it's not nearly as versatile as proper Opera gestures. I still don't know how to teach it how to open links in new tabs.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

killhamster posted:

I've got "Gestures for Google Chrome" and it can handle the rocker gestures and some basic things, but out of the box it's not nearly as versatile as proper Opera gestures. I still don't know how to teach it how to open links in new tabs.

I've been using Smooth Gestures which is the next best thing. It's still not as good but it's the best I've found.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Mithaldu posted:

Dear Goons,

Please stop overexaggerating when it's not for actual comedic effect. You're not helping anyone with this bullshit.

Cheers,
A Grumpy German
Chromera is merely the beard for a company that only lives for the mobile market, but wishes to pretend to still do anything for the desktop.

Let's just all get on-board using it's verboten name: Opium

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Dear Goons,

Cheers,
A Grumpy German
Oh come on now. When there's seriously advice being given in this thread along the lines of "well sure Opera 12's still good, as long as you have a second browser for twitter. And facebook. And tumblr. And..." it's a pretty drat good sign that the browser's broken for the current web environment, and it's not going to get any better. It's a web browser, not a marriage. The sooner you swap to something that just works all the time with no hassle the less work you'll have to do later.

I'm not any happier about it, but that's just how it stands right now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Yep, I've just stopped installing Opera on any new machines. I pretty much only use it on my desktop at home for browsing SA at this point.

Pretty much every social media site and now even loving Google are broken or super slow on classic Opera. And since I even surprised myself with how often I use those sites, it's easier just to not switch browsers all the time and just use Firefox for everything. And now that Firefox syncs my extensions across computers it's almost painless. (You need to configure some of them and it doesn't sync my greasemonkey scripts or stylish user styles)

And the built-in developer tools in Firefox have become not-terrible in the last year, so there really isn't anything to keep me on Opera anymore.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
OK, so Opera 25 beta has bookmarks, sweet, it might be time to start moving to a new browser. My Opera 12 install has a couple of thousand - is there any way of importing them? I couldn't find an import/export section, or much relevant discussion on the internet.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Opera 25 should automatically import your olde bookmarks. But it will take awhile.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

Oh come on now. When there's seriously advice being given in this thread along the lines of "well sure Opera 12's still good, as long as you have a second browser for twitter. And facebook. And tumblr. And..." it's a pretty drat good sign that the browser's broken for the current web environment, and it's not going to get any better. It's a web browser, not a marriage. The sooner you swap to something that just works all the time with no hassle the less work you'll have to do later.

I'm not any happier about it, but that's just how it stands right now.

Opera 12 still works for everything I need, including Facebook and Twitter. Google sites throw up a message telling me my browser is unsupported, but everything still works fine. :shrug:

That said, I would switch if I could find another browser that has the features I use regularly. In no particular order:
  • Mouse gestures for (at minimum) reload, new window, cycle tabs, back and forward (both right-drag and two-button methods as I use both).
  • Ability to conveniently block individual images.
  • Customisable search from the address bar.
  • Fit to width.
  • Page zoom visible on screen.
  • Hideable tab bar.
  • Customisable speed dial.
  • Loading bar that pops up at the bottom while the page is loading.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I only use Opera 12 for SA.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Asimo posted:

Mithaldu posted:

Dear Goons,

Cheers,
A Grumpy German
there's seriously advice being given in this thread along the lines of "well sure Opera 12's still good, as long as you have a second browser for twitter. And facebook. And tumblr. And..."

Mithaldu posted:

Dear Goons,

Cheers,
A Grumpy German
I'm serious here. Your bullshit is loving annoying. Twitter works fine in Opera 12. Tumblr works fine. Facebook, i dunno, i don't use it, last time i looked at it it was only a little slow. Google Mail works. Yahoo Mail works.

99% of the loving internet still works perfectly fine in Opera.

The buttons and menu entries for opening pages in other browsers are for stupid-rear end websites like the PSN store, which even in a compatible browser takes ages to load; it's for youtube so i don't need to worry about 400mb videos in my browser cache when i've let opera run for two weeks; it's for WebGL stuff, as Opera never implemented the possibilities to play Quake in the browser; it's for news sites that have a article bytes to js bytes ratio of 1:50; it's for Google Play Music, because it has addons in Chrome; it's for that one website you need to investigate in Firebug because it manages to break Dragonfly (and the opposite happens too).

Stop overexaggerating.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 23, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mithaldu posted:

Twitter works fine in Opera 12. Facebook, i dunno, i don't use it, last time i looked at it it was only a little slow.

Facebook's searchbar is not usable from the newsfeed (though usable from account pages) and Twitter's interface doesn't play nice with Opera 12, specifically when you're viewing twitter account pages where the account stats bar overlaps over the rest of the page contents as you scroll down, like so:

Both of which are miniscule issues that do not make dealing with a browser lacking Opera 12's features worth it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Twitter and Tumblr work in the sense that posts usually eventually load, yes. I stopped using Facebook with Opera over a year ago because it was so slow so I don't know about its current condition. I doubt it has improved. Flickr doesn't work. Google recently switched into some reduced functionality mode, but I guess it also works in that it still lists search results and you can click on them. Vimeo has become unusuably slow to the point that playing a video completely locks up the browser. Youtube works most of the time.

And of course the old bugs, like Opera not remembering visited links, are never going to be fixed. I actually forgot how much I enjoy having the browser remember what links I've clicked already.

I still like Opera's highlighting when using search better than other browsers', but that is in no way a killer feature.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Is it possible to make 1 and 2 act as Opera's previous/next tab in Chrome?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Opera 12 still works for everything I need, including Facebook and Twitter. Google sites throw up a message telling me my browser is unsupported, but everything still works fine. :shrug:

That said, I would switch if I could find another browser that has the features I use regularly. In no particular order:
  • Mouse gestures for (at minimum) reload, new window, cycle tabs, back and forward (both right-drag and two-button methods as I use both).
  • Ability to conveniently block individual images.
  • Customisable search from the address bar.
  • Fit to width.
  • Page zoom visible on screen.
  • Hideable tab bar.
  • Customisable speed dial.
  • Loading bar that pops up at the bottom while the page is loading.

You can do all of these in Firefox, and most in Chrome. I don't use zoom/fit-to-width or image blocking so I can't speak to how well the addons work, but they do exist. Search from the address bar is in stock Firefox and Chrome, and works exactly the same as Opera. There are several speed dial addons for both browsers too.

Firefox's All-in-One Gestures is pretty serviceable. It has the nicest rocker tab cycling (or whatever you call it) of any extension I've tried, and you can customise gestures for every other browser function. Not sure about the two-button back/forward, but there's probably a ton of other extensions that do it.

Switching just to replicate what you already have is a waste of time, though. If you switch, where you're really gaining the advantage is addons for literally everything else ever. Pentadactyl is my new must-have browser feature; it's almost completely replaced gestures for me since I can do everything more efficiently in a few keystrokes.

I definitely understand you guys who don't want to switch from 12. It's been a long time since I completely switched over to Firefox, but I still read this thread in hopes of hearing about a miracle update that restores Opera to its former glory. Of course I know it's never coming back now, but at least I can offer tips to other Opera refugees. :v:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

naptalan posted:

Firefox's All-in-One Gestures is pretty serviceable. It has the nicest rocker tab cycling (or whatever you call it) of any extension I've tried, and you can customise gestures for every other browser function. Not sure about the two-button back/forward, but there's probably a ton of other extensions that do it.
Rocker gestures are the right+left and left+right mouse combinations. The tab switching with right+scroll is called "visual tab switching", but i think sticking to right+scroll there is just fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Facebook's searchbar is not usable from the newsfeed (though usable from account pages) and Twitter's interface doesn't play nice with Opera 12, specifically when you're viewing twitter account pages where the account stats bar overlaps over the rest of the page contents as you scroll down, like so:

Whatever is causing you these problems is not inherent to Opera. I just checked and Facebook's search bar works fine, and Twitter looks fine to me.

Wheany posted:

Google recently switched into some reduced functionality mode, but I guess it also works in that it still lists search results and you can click on them.
Google is genuinely weird in Opera, but you can fix it. Just set the site preferences for all affected Google sites to mask as Internet Explorer. It will tell you your browser is unsupported, but everything works fine.

naptalan posted:

You can do all of these in Firefox, and most in Chrome. I don't use zoom/fit-to-width or image blocking so I can't speak to how well the addons work, but they do exist.
What really keeps me from switching is the fact that these features are add-ons. I would actually have to find out how to add these features to the browser rather than just having them be available. In some cases I imagine I'd have to try several different options before I found one that worked the way I wanted. I basically want someone to go "Here, click this button to turn Firefox into Opera" (not that I actually expect anyone to do so).

Eventually I will probably be forced to switch, but it just seems like a lot of work right now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

Eventually I will probably be forced to switch, but it just seems like a lot of work right now.

As a consolation, you only need to do it once, because Firefox sync will sync your extensions between machines. (Until an update breaks your extensions, but that's a separate problem)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I do wonder if (some) of the problems with stuff seen in Opera12 is coming from long-forgotten UserJS tweaks gone awry.

I know that while I don't use FB myself, any attempt to load most Facebook pages results in an application crash. Twitter seems totally normal and fine to me, though.

Opera 12 basically *ran* on weird one-off Javascript tweaks/fixes, and even has some 'internal' ones it shipped with. So it's not impossible that some of those tweaks, or those applied by a user themselves at some point, aren't starting to conflict and break as these sites update and render those fixes useless or outright harmful.

Taking a quick look at it, there are some Facebook and Twitter specific JS hacks in play with even a default Opera install, so I wouldn't put it beyond stuff that in the right environment these are just breaking stuff - especially if combined with other downstream JS stuff like Adblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, a lot of performance issues (though facebook is the only page that actually hardlocks Opera 12 for me) i tend to have with sites are definitely from megabytes of occasionally changing site javascripts intermingling with outdated plugin javascript with various levels of ad-blocking and custom user-js.

The browser built-in hacks probably don't help.