Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

fool_of_sound posted:

What should be my go-to spells or Air 2 battle casting? The only things that seem both spammable and useful at that level are Lightning Bolt and False Fetters, neither of which are particularly wonderful. Crafting boosters for them is too expensive to be worthwhile, especially since I spend a ton of air gems making Owl Quills.

Do you have any A3 casters available? Research to Evo 5 for storm/tstrike spam. Otherwise lightning bolt is your best option, especially if you have all your mages cast aim beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

What should be my go-to spells or Air 2 battle casting? The only things that seem both spammable and useful at that level are Lightning Bolt and False Fetters, neither of which are particularly wonderful. Crafting boosters for them is too expensive to be worthwhile, especially since I spend a ton of air gems making Owl Quills.

Cast storm. Cast summon storm power. Cast Thunderstrike.

Carry air gems on casters to cast more Tstrikes or cast them without having to have storm up first.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
False Horrors and Phantasmal Army if you have good alteration as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

I'm working on a mod to tweak/rebalance little silly problems with the game, and make some nice/neat changes to make things a little more interesting. There have been a lot of stupid things that I've noticed in the game, but I can't actually remember what they are, of course. Can anyone think of any things in particular? This is my changelog/todo list so far

Start with the most obvious weak nations? Underwater nations, Maverni, some of the Japanese nations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fixing the UW nations is going to involve making them land nations first and foremost, that simple.

At the moment, underwater factions:

- Can't use half their magic either in or out of the drink
- Can't get their best troops out of water
- Can't recruit very much on land, and almost always nothing but indies past the coast (and unless you make them land nations, this is hardcoded)
- Have serious trouble sustaining Throne control outside of the sea
- Are in an environment where their gem income is skewed against their getting out of the drink
- Are basically denied the use of Blood magic, despite some of the best Blood stuff being WB

The only way to fix that is to make them land nations which can also do stuff under the water a bit more than average, I think.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The mod inspector guy reads this thread, right? Right now Seducer isn't showing up on the inspector at all and it's throwing the gold costs of units out of whack, and some units have the descriptions of other units, like LA Pythium's Renatus.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Fixing the UW nations is going to involve making them land nations first and foremost, that simple.

At the moment, underwater factions:

- Can't use half their magic either in or out of the drink
- Can't get their best troops out of water
- Can't recruit very much on land, and almost always nothing but indies past the coast (and unless you make them land nations, this is hardcoded)
- Have serious trouble sustaining Throne control outside of the sea
- Are in an environment where their gem income is skewed against their getting out of the drink
- Are basically denied the use of Blood magic, despite some of the best Blood stuff being WB

The only way to fix that is to make them land nations which can also do stuff under the water a bit more than average, I think.

I'm a very new player, so my ideas might be terrible, but I was considering this problem not too long ago, Oceania in particular. Oceania is completely amphibious except for their path loss on their mages, which is a simple fix and solves the first two problems, and the Bishop Fish, which isn't a insurmountable loss. They suffer a very small stat loss out of water, but that's fixable if it is a problem. Expanding coastal recruitment to everything except Bishop Fish and Aphroi would make their beachheads decent, at the very least, and making the same, minus the Capricorn, Forest and/or Swamp recruitable could let them press inland without making them feel like a land nation. With decent land presence they should also be able to break into blood if they want to, though it won't be particularly cheap or easy. That at least partially covers most of the problems with them, as far as I can tell.

e: And while you're at it make Nerid, Ancient Kraken, and Sea Dragon full amphibious (Nerid and Sea Dragon would probably need some spriting work done for land forms). Maybe even make a distinct Sea nation version of the Ghost King who's also full amphibious.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 6, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Larz, another little error in the Inspector.

Id 2483 Troglodyte Trainer don't have gold or resource cost inputted.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
What does a typical Asphodel build look like in terms of Scales/Domscore and what should I be doing to manage my dom early on?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

For anyone with experience in the matter, how do I pretender for MA Agartha? I get that N9 bless for regenerating statues with tons of health is good and casting Gift of Health later on, but beyond that, what other things are good? How do you expand with it?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

For anyone with experience in the matter, how do I pretender for MA Agartha? I get that N9 bless for regenerating statues with tons of health is good and casting Gift of Health later on, but beyond that, what other things are good? How do you expand with it?

5-8 trogs behind the infantry line works fine to expand. Living mercury are better than most of your statues and also benefit from your dominion. The amphibious sacreds are pretty good, though cap only. The big thing to keep in mind is that all your mages are MM1, so you are not nimble at all. You need to have a lot of forts and one of them must be in your cap circle so you have people that can cast your national spells in your cap that are not your StR guys that probably have better things to do. Enchant, Conj and Alt are your big paths to research.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Is it just me or is wailing winds bugged as of the last few patches?

e: Probably not,because I completely misunderstood what it was supposed to do and am insanely dumb

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 7, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I've made some fire spells based on Conquest of Elysium's pyromancy school.
Maws of the Earth was in CoE3 before Dom4 interestingly.

Mass Combustion: Everyone on the field is hit by combustion
#newspell
#copyspell "Combustion"
#name "Mass Combustion"
#descr "The caster invokes the elemental plane of fire to reach into the material realm and light every living thing on the battlefield ablaze. This spell does not discriminate between friend or foe."
#path 0 0
#school 2
#researchlevel 6
#pathlevel 0 5
#fatiguecost 400
#aoe 666
#restricted 146
#end

The Alt 8 spell Conflagration is an AoE 10 version of this so you might want to make this spell research 9.

I Love You! posted:

What does a typical Asphodel build look like in terms of Scales/Domscore and what should I be doing to manage my dom early on?

You want Growth and Magic scales, Growth helps offset your domkill and increases the number of manikins you spawn each turn, Magic increases the quality of the manikins that spawn and your only researchers are sacred and expensive so you really want the extra RP.

Domscore-wise, Asphodel can get away with a much lower domscore (7, 6 even) because they have 100 gold temples that they can just poop everywhere to bring their domscore up and now that dom caps at 10 this is even more viable.

Apart from that, take Sloth because Aspho doesn't need resources and the rest is up to you, Black Centaurs are very strong, especially if you can get a W9 or N9 bless on them and can expand quite well by themselves so an awake god is not neccessary, but there are a lot of different ways to play Asphodel; they are a very flexible nation with good troops, good commanders, good freespawn and good spells. But kind of lovely research and domkill which makes turtling a poor decision.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The LA Agarthan Flame Barrel Nightmare is supposed to explode on death, right? Like the Flame Corpse. In the inspector, it doesn't have the explode-on-death tag.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Anyone got any tips for MA Tien Chi? I've got a rough idea of where I want to go research wise but I am stuck on what pretender I want to take. My SC God options all look pretty mediocre, someone on irc did suggest a proto-firebird economy (T3/L3 with master of ways) might work but that seems a bit risky and requiring heavy investment in commanders I'm not likely to get much use out of.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Ferrosol posted:

Anyone got any tips for MA Tien Chi? I've got a rough idea of where I want to go research wise but I am stuck on what pretender I want to take. My SC God options all look pretty mediocre, someone on irc did suggest a proto-firebird economy (T3/L3 with master of ways) might work but that seems a bit risky and requiring heavy investment in commanders I'm not likely to get much use out of.

Imprisoned scales and path pretender. gently caress bless Red Guard are not worth it. You have excellent troops for great communions and good astral sitesearch, so you can easily set up for some endgame astral funtime. Their troops will handle any indie you can find and your mages will quickly become dangerous with communions.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
MA Tien can and should probably take Drain 2 since they have extremely efficient researchers with great base research. Better to just spam more structures with extra cash than get the most out of each mage.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Someone tell me how to expand with E.A Kailasa. Their cheap troops suck unless you muster them in great numbers. Their sacred troops are unreliable because they lack protection. It's my understanding Kailasa needs at least Astral 4 to have an easy access to their great national summons late game. So, should I just take an awake SC with at least Astral 4 and expand this way or is there some other strategy that I'm not seeing?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bandar infantry can punch out most indies easily enough, the only danger is being heavily outnumbered.

Or use your cap-only thugs with stoneskin/ ironskin/ invulnerability.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

The Jade Emperor is an excellent pretender with good base dom and paths to target some globals, and since you don't need a bless it works quite well to get something like W6/S6/A4. Take it imprisoned and you have plenty of points for scales.

Your mages can do all kinds of things. Your archers are good (composite bows) so recruiting Imperial Alchemists until you get a F2 to cast Flaming Arrows with is viable, if somewhat risky. Your mages have lots of paths and can be communion'd for excellent results in evocations or troop buffs.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Speleothing posted:

Bandar infantry can punch out most indies easily enough, the only danger is being heavily outnumbered.

Or use your cap-only thugs with stoneskin/ ironskin/ invulnerability.

So I need to take production with Kailasa? I was thinking production scales would be wasted because other than the armored Bandar troops nothing else requires many resources.

Or can I go through indies with the unarmored Bandar infantry?

And the thing about the thugs is that for the very early game they aren't relaiable because you don't have those spells yet.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ferrosol posted:

Take an awake or asleep SC, you're vulnerable to sacred rushes until you can get some forts up pumping out loads of troops. I'm currently doing pretty well with a B5E4 devi of darkness.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Neruz posted:

... now that dom caps at 10 this is even more viable.

Can anyone explain to me what the exact effect of this change to dom cap was? My understanding previously was that even before this change dom strength still effectively capped at 10 wrt % chance of pushing your dominion. Does the change just mean that sacred recruitment caps at 10? Or am I wrong about the previous domspread rules and so the change was a nerf for temple-spamming dompush?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm guessing so that Asphodel doesn't completely ball out of control.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Might it also have pushed a pretender's Awe so high it could not be overcome?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

RBA-Wintrow posted:

No. It's purely a nerf to temple spamming, and makes high dominion less important if you don't have an awake pretender.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Awe and bless are not affected by things that happen after pretender creation. So if you wish for magic 10 times you can't get a septabless

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

garth ferengi posted:

No. It's purely a nerf to temple spamming, and makes high dominion less important if you don't have an awake pretender.

Less a nerf to temple spamming, and more a nerf to super high dominion scores! :P
For example if you are Dom6, you still will want to build 20 temples.

IMO, a good change, as everyone got very high Dom scores in fear of not being able to compete with other dominions, and what's the point of having a design where a Pretender stat could go from 3 to 10, if almost everyone would get 8-10? For that, they could rework the stat to just Low / Medium / High Dominions (equivalent to 8/9/10).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Actually it's simply a nerf to any nation without blood sac, and a slight nerf to nations that don't have recruit-anywhere sacreds. But mostly the former.

It's basically impossible to score a dom victory if you are not a blood sac nation now, so it's effectively reduced the overall options in the game which sort of sucks.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Good thing literally everyone wins by throne victories now.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So are blunt weapons bad compared to slashing or pierce? They usually seem to lose out statwise to non-blunt weapons.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Flame112 posted:

Good thing literally everyone wins by throne victories now.
Hostile dom was a good way to keep thrones safe though. It's hard to siege a throne when all your commanders are getting ganked by angry H2O.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
join the newbie game gunnerkrigg avatar guy

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ok

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

So are blunt weapons bad compared to slashing or pierce? They usually seem to lose out statwise to non-blunt weapons.

Blunt weapons generally have lower resource costs and many units with physical resistances don't have blunt resistance.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I guess, blunt weapons do seem somewhat useful against statues and such. The resource thing I'm not really wowed by considering the fact it's only like 3 or 4 points more, and blunt weapons often do low base damage and don't offer any bonuses. The exception is flails and morningstars since they have two attacks and and attack bonus against shields to make up for their low base damage and defence malus.
Overall though, blunt weapons seem sorta poo.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

no!!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I guess, blunt weapons do seem somewhat useful against statues and such. The resource thing I'm not really wowed by considering the fact it's only like 3 or 4 points more, and blunt weapons often do low base damage and don't offer any bonuses. The exception is flails and morningstars since they have two attacks and and attack bonus against shields to make up for their low base damage and defence malus.
Overall though, blunt weapons seem sorta poo.

Blunt weapons do double damage after prot reduction if they hit you in the head which is why slingers murder people who are silly enough to run around without hats on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also they're technically good for slapping resistant undead around, although your solution to skelespam should rarely be "recruit chaff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Yes, they are worse, though it isn't like there should be any artificial balance between the three types. They still have their little perks (against skellies, against shields or people without helmet).

• Locked thread