Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nice to see the one targeted burn it all down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It was an inside job all along, you see the actual conspiracy behind the entire thing is

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I look at this and see a bunch of bright distracting colors. What's a summary?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The whole thing was never about corruption in "games journalism" (scare quotes are necessary) and was always about harassing the poo poo out of women who nerds disagree with. It's a big shocker.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lol.

And I mean that, I am literally laughing out loud.

Ulta posted:

I look at this and see a bunch of bright distracting colors. What's a summary?
4chan planned it in advance and continued to try to control the discourse until Quinn posted logs that explicitly have them conspiring, irrevocably loving them.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 6, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That's a pretty huge shocker considering that they never really had any evidence of corruption except for "Video game journalists like socially conscious games more than 4chan posters do. Something must be up."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr. Stab posted:

That's a pretty huge shocker considering that they never really had any evidence of corruption except for "Video game journalists like socially conscious games more than 4chan posters do. Something must be up."

Chris Remo on Idle Thumbs a few weeks ago had a good thesis about the veracity of this being about "games journalism".

Zoe Quinn dates an editor from Kotaku, the editor in question doesn't actually review her games, but she's dating him anyways so that she can get high review scores on her free-to-play game that had been out for 1+ year.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reporting all the threats and other horrible garbage is great. It should be reported to the police and other authorities if applied. Hearts and minds don't change overnight neither do people but if you show people that making real life threats of violence or abuse has consequences then maybe they'll learn not to do it. Holding on to it to report to the authorities then ignoring that person is probably the best thing anyone can do in her situation. I do feel bad for people who are part of Gamergate that actually had legitimate grievances about the enthusiast press and the covering of games in the industry (which may have been in the minority). Unfortunately, in light of that post, it seems like everyone is just generalizing and dismissing the entire thing. JP LeBreton (aside from some sensational retweets and snobby outlooks he's generally pretty insightful, I recommend following him) tends to retweet a lot of dismissive and generalizing tweets of people who call all of those people as children or otherwise dumb labels like that.

What I take away from that post is that the horrible element of the whole thing were just using legitimate reasons as a guise just to harass a group of people, which is disgusting. I'm glad that stuff came to light and those people will just disappear and maybe the people who actually have legitimate issues with things may have a chance to express them. Though, I have seen a few things that send mixed signals on that front. There was a youtube video that did make a compelling case about conflict of interests within the IGA but it undercut its point by showing irrelevant clips and points that came off as attacking someone due to their lifestyle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't think there's a better example of just how out of touch with reality some of those people are than the guy who posted that his side is "looking for full loving nuclear option. ending careers and marriages. Federal time for racketeering. Smeering their careers forever."

Yeah that seems like a totally realistic and reasonable response to allegations that an indie developer slept with somebody who works for a video game bog. Yup, nothing completely ludicrous about that at all.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Congratulations ZC Quinnton on exposing the Barbaric 12 conspiracy!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ahaha

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Reporting all the threats and other horrible garbage is great. It should be reported to the police and other authorities if applied. Hearts and minds don't change overnight neither do people but if you show people that making real life threats of violence or abuse has consequences then maybe they'll learn not to do it. Holding on to it to report to the authorities then ignoring that person is probably the best thing anyone can do in her situation. I do feel bad for people who are part of Gamergate that actually had legitimate grievances about the enthusiast press and the covering of games in the industry (which may have been in the minority). Unfortunately, in light of that post, it seems like everyone is just generalizing and dismissing the entire thing. JP LeBreton (aside from some sensational retweets and snobby outlooks he's generally pretty insightful, I recommend following him) tends to retweet a lot of dismissive and generalizing tweets of people who call all of those people as children or otherwise dumb labels like that.

What I take away from that post is that the horrible element of the whole thing were just using legitimate reasons as a guise just to harass a group of people, which is disgusting. I'm glad that stuff came to light and those people will just disappear and maybe the people who actually have legitimate issues with things may have a chance to express them. Though, I have seen a few things that send mixed signals on that front. There was a youtube video that did make a compelling case about conflict of interests within the IGA but it undercut its point by showing irrelevant clips and points that came off as attacking someone due to their lifestyle.

I haven't seen so many legitimate criticisms as people saying "but there are criticisms, and gosh darn it are they legitimate"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Song For The Deaf posted:

We're so worried about #GamerGate that we forgot about #LucaGate. Something must be done about #LucaBlight, and Watch Out for Fireballs! isn't afraid to tackle that issue in our Suikoden II episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/81

The brief mention of Nier at the end of this episode got me thinking that game'd probably make for a good WOFF. It's not a JRPG in the most traditional way, since it's got somewhat-mediocre Zelda-esque hack-and-slash combat instead of "mash A to random battle," but it's definitely a JRPG in terms of pacing and structure so it's not something I'd recommend while you're still burnt out. If you ever feel like extending your annual JRPG slot to lens flare territory, though, it'd be a real solid pick.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Nier is a recco that's been floating around for a while. We like to use our JRPG points sparingly, and I think our unfamiliarity with the game is standing in the way of us putting it on the schedule.

Maybe I could play it as a non-assignment game, but gently caress if I know when that could happen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nier is actually a pretty short game if you avoid the sidequests, which you totally should since they're awful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lol and lol at anybody surprised that there was an organized smear campaign happening on the chan side or that people did not in fact get "fake hacked"

Also re: Nier, it's a really good game and it deserves time and a considered eye (and you should even do the sidequests, some of which are long and boring, which feels more intentional than say how bad the minigames in No More Heroes are)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If I were theoretically ordering Nier, would I want it on PS3 of 360? That came out early enough that I suspect it might make a difference.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hakkesshu posted:

Nier is actually a pretty short game if you avoid the sidequests, which you totally should since they're awful.

To be fair though you absolutely have not finished that game if you don't play through at least the first NG+.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

To be fair though you absolutely have not finished that game if you don't play through at least the first NG+.

NG+ goes by super fast, though. I think I got the last ending in like an hour and a half.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
EDIT: I basically don't know what I'm talking about but I would love to see Nier on WOFF.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 6, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

If I were theoretically ordering Nier, would I want it on PS3 of 360? That came out early enough that I suspect it might make a difference.

It doesn't really make a difference, the game is pretty easy on the hardware. I just googed it to make sure I wasn't lying to you and apparently 360 was the lead development platform or something? Idk

It should probably be mentioned in the episode that in Japan the PS3 version had a substantially different version of the protagonist who was more of a conventional JRPG hero with a big brother relationship to the young girl as opposed to the Busey-looking father Nier we got in every US version. It doesn't have a big impact on the actual game, but it's an interesting thing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you play Nier, make sure you read a let's play of Drakengard at some point because it fills in some details of the world. Maybe play Nier first because it's one of those games that might benefit from knowing almost nothing beforehand. Do not play Drakengard, unless you love really bad Dynasty Warriors clones.

Don't do any sidequests that seem annoying or boring, play New Game+ at least once (after the first NG+ the only difference is the ending).

Nier is fantastic and I've wanted to hear you guys talk about it since the first time it was mentioned on Bonfireside Chat.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Nier on WOFF would be a podcast dream come true. Despite its flaws, there's no way the game wouldn't knock the socks off of Gary and Kole. Excellent use of gameplay features as storytelling devices? Check. Riveting soundtrack that makes good use of layered instrumentation? Check. Smashing localization by 8-4? Check.

If you do play it, don't play on the Hardest mode like me. All it adds is tedium.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I dipped out of the house to buy a copy of Nier. I'm far away from home right now, but I might stream it once things settle down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Don't follow this thread much, but listening to latest GBcast. Was there an appropriate backlash/kerfuffle in this thread about Dan's insanity? His input over the past podcasts has painted the most insane picture of him.. Egg-whites, his unwavering trust of anything that Walmart sells, etc?

I'll go back and see if this thread had some input on it, but I had to say something. I nearly crashed the car.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Feenix posted:

Don't follow this thread much, but listening to latest GBcast. Was there an appropriate backlash/kerfuffle in this thread about Dan's insanity? His input over the past podcasts has painted the most insane picture of him.. Egg-whites, his unwavering trust of anything that Walmart sells, etc?

I'll go back and see if this thread had some input on it, but I had to say something. I nearly crashed the car.

I think everyone just agrees that Dan is a national treasure.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
We mostly talk about it in the GB thread. Dan posts there occasionally and is pretty awesome about owning up to the fact that he's an idiot about some things.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

Dan Ryckert is the most perplexing human being I've ever listened to. I don't know how he's physically alive considering majority of his diet consisted of macaroni, chicken fingers, and overcooked steak. And then he said Terminator 3 is better than the first two movies? Someone lock this guy up before he hurts himself!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

al-azad posted:

Dan Ryckert is the most perplexing human being I've ever listened to. I don't know how he's physically alive considering majority of his diet consisted of macaroni, chicken fingers, and overcooked steak. And then he said Terminator 3 is better than the first two movies? Someone lock this guy up before he hurts himself!

For what it's worth I bear no ill will towards the guy. More just I'm like "holy poo poo how are you alive?!

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I think Dan's life philosophy is spot on. Dude puts on no airs whatsoever and that makes him objectively the best type of person.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

al-azad posted:

I maintain that Dan wasn't born, he was grown in a vat but escaped before he was finished.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's a Simpsons character. He fell through that same rift Homer did in that one Halloween special and has been trapped in the real world ever since.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FuriousGeorge posted:

I think Dan's life philosophy is spot on. Dude puts on no airs whatsoever and that makes him objectively the best type of person.
I think his life philosophy is as manchildy as almost everything else about him, but at least he's the fun kind of manchild and not the rape jokes kind.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ps: where did Vinny go? I listen to each week but somehow missed why/where/for what reason he left.

I liked him a lot and he had his first kid just before I did so all his anecdotes and jokes were 'my jam'.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wow, a mythical "only listens to the podcast never visits the web site" unicorn has stepped out of the forest.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

He moved to New York to raise his family (he actually just had his second child last week) and spearhead Giant Bomb East with Alex. They've done a bunch of great videos so far and I think they are going to start a podcast someday.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Feenix posted:

Ps: where did Vinny go? I listen to each week but somehow missed why/where/for what reason he left.

I liked him a lot and he had his first kid just before I did so all his anecdotes and jokes were 'my jam'.

He moved back to New York and had another baby. He's setting up a second studio there, him and Alex Navarro have been doing quick looks and stuff out of the TV Guide office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pseudorandom name posted:

Wow, a mythical "only listens to the podcast never visits the web site" unicorn has stepped out of the forest.

I watch quick looks from time to time but prefer to get my gaming news from Forbes Magazine. :)

And thanks for the info! :)

• Locked thread