Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kyle win #136

maffew buildings posted:

I got a commitment that means I'm gone tonight, is that documentary on youtube, where else can I see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGs8WOXxT0 start with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Looks like we're going to watch something else in there tonight, actually. Viking's gone to his mystery bag of old races.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

if we're telling maffew buildings all the cool things we love and hate, I should introduce him to Don MacTavish

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWUfFiXIkM:nms:

I love how it's just one camera that follows the action. Today's coverage has a camera switch every 8 seconds, making it impossible to follow what's actually going on. ADD Directors I guess...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so I finally took a pic of my dad's favorite piece of Earnhardt memorabilia

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Speaking of classic NASCAR stuff that owns, check out Circle Sport's ride for this weekend:

And, yup, they just renamed the garage area after Junie, too. :unsmith:

EDIT: Just noticed they even made sure to list Jason Hedlesky, who made Donlavey's final points race at Charlotte in 2002, finishing last. Hedlesky is now Carl Edwards' spotter.

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 6, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Ken Schrader's driving one of Junie's old Red Baron T-Birds during the pace laps.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Both of those schemes rule hard

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LASTCAR posted:

Speaking of classic NASCAR stuff that owns, check out Circle Sport's ride for this weekend:

EDIT: Just noticed they even made sure to list Jason Hedlesky, who made Donlavey's final points race at Charlotte in 2002, finishing last. Hedlesky is now Carl Edwards' spotter.

Owns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol I just noticed Kenny Brightbill on there

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

LASTCAR posted:

lol that Jimmy Hensley is on there twice.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Things are...interesting in trucks. Rumor is Cale Conley AND Cole Custer are looking for rides these days.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Things are...interesting in trucks. Rumor is Cale Conley AND Cole Custer are looking for rides these days.

What happened to the deal with Custer and Joe Shear?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Rut roh.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Trucks seem to be falling apart at the seams. Car counts are down and now multiple teams are fragging themselves.

Awesome.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

Trucks seem to be falling apart at the seams. Car counts are down and now multiple teams are fragging themselves.

Awesome.

Both of those were turner-supplied. This could actually end up ok. NASCAR isn't ready to give up on trucks for at least another 5-6 years, and a whole glut of talent just flooded the market and in doing so became cheaper. It'll be a short-term blow, for sure, but stay tuned now that turner is gone.

e: correction. Brandon Jones is looking to finish the season in Cale conley's RCR equipment, future uncertain beyond that. Sorry, misunderstood the text i got

Some Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 6, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
e: SRA clarified right before I submitted.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Trucks are awesome SRA usher in a new glory era of truck supremacy also make Kyle Busch cry please, tia

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kill off nationwide, and just show the Trucks/Modifieds on TV in there place.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nationwide, Trucks, and Cup should be killed off imo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kidc, do you want to do the Chase thread or do you want me to handle it?

NASCAR isn't ready to give up on trucks for at least another 5-6 years

Whoa, this is a possibility? NASCAR has considered throwing in the towel on CWTS?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Both of those were turner-supplied. This could actually end up ok. NASCAR isn't ready to give up on trucks for at least another 5-6 years, and a whole glut of talent just flooded the market and in doing so became cheaper. It'll be a short-term blow, for sure, but stay tuned now that turner is gone.

e: correction. Brandon Jones is looking to finish the season in Cale conley's RCR equipment, future uncertain beyond that. Sorry, misunderstood the text i got

Oh ok, I didn't know they were Turner trucks too, that's not as bad as I thought then.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Whoa, this is a possibility? NASCAR has considered throwing in the towel on CWTS?

I don't think that's what he's saying, haha

More like, this year sucks but they aren't gonna kill it off over one bad year.

e- And they aren't killing it off for at least 8 years, because that's what Camping World just signed back on for.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 6, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

I don't think that's what he's saying, haha

More like, this year sucks but they aren't gonna kill it off over one bad year.

e- And they aren't killing it off for at least 8 years, because that's what Camping World just signed back on for.

I was going to say, I'd like to be in the room when NASCAR tells Camping World "We're gonna kill your series", as well as something dumb to the effect of "You're not getting a prorated refund."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I wanna make the chase thread. Anytime I make the thread it's awful so it would be accurate for how the chase is gonna be.

edit: NASCAR 2014 (The Chase): Something Something Something GAME SEVEN MOMENTS

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody up for a Fantasy-style pick 'em game for the Chase once we know who's in and who's out?

I'm thinking pick one driver out of each group of four (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) and score based on where they finish. Tiebreaker could be pick who finishes last.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody up for a Fantasy-style pick 'em game for the Chase once we know who's in and who's out?

I'm thinking pick one driver out of each group of four (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) and score based on where they finish. Tiebreaker could be pick who finishes last.
i'm into it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm in, but let's make sure there's bonus points for which driver mentions all the sponsors quickest in their post race interview as well as reshuffle all the driver standings after each round and start the points back over. Every week one driver should randomly be assigned the Digger bonus as well, which holds no significance aside from being loving annoying.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

you could probably put together a google docs form for it cbj

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I'm down.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm down.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

Just because they're signed for 8 doesn't necessarily mean nascar won't consider paying out the contract for the final 2 years if the series really nosedives for some ungodly reason. Camping world is only paying $5mil per year for a title sponsorship, after all. That said, that's not how I see it. It sucks in the immediate but long term this well could be the forest fire that redistributes nutrients to the soil, so to speak.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Blah blah the best racing series under the NASCAR banner is dying, who cares? Is everybody ready for GAME 7 at RICHMOND TONI...zzzz

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Just because they're signed for 8 doesn't necessarily mean nascar won't consider paying out the contract for the final 2 years if the series really nosedives for some ungodly reason. Camping world is only paying $5mil per year for a title sponsorship, after all. That said, that's not how I see it. It sucks in the immediate but long term this well could be the forest fire that redistributes nutrients to the soil, so to speak.

Oh sure, you can never be sure of anything with certainty, but even if the unexpected happens, we still have at least two or three years before we have to cross that bridge.

e- oh and SRA, you should've been in Cytube last night, the reaction maffew gave to pp14, fauxhawk and I when we showed him ARCA @ Atlanta was priceless

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

this well could be the forest fire that spreads out of control and burns down all the adjacent towns

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Thank God I've been a fan of fight sports for so long that nothing NASCAR can do will phase me on the incompetent, nonsensical, negligent, etc. side of things

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If by fightsports you mean WWE, you'll get along well with some of us.

kidcoelacanth posted:

you could probably put together a google docs form for it cbj

Yeah. I was going to do scoring based on where the drivers picked finish in the Chase (Champ- 16 to 16th- 1). Tiebreaker could be 1 point if your last place pick winds up 15th & 2 for an exact pick.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CBJSprague24 posted:

If by fightsports you mean WWE, you'll get along well with some of us.

Yeah. I was going to do scoring based on where the drivers picked finish in the Chase (Champ- 16 to 16th- 1). Tiebreaker could be 1 point if your last place pick winds up 15th & 2 for an exact pick.

Tiebreaker should be to pick Dannica's finish position.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ESPN: "The final elimination is here."

...except the ones which happen in the Chase.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

kidcoelacanth posted:

This here is a pretty good indicator of how much the COT helped safety move forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MrquaBBXQ

Not just the COT, but all the other safety advances as well like the SAFER barrier and the mandatory HANS. That hit almost certainly wouldn't have been survivable ten years earlier.

Same with Elliott Sadler's crash at Pocono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thxd1vgWLTw

The cameras only caught a few frames of the actual impact, but he hit a sharply angled section of the Armco-clad dirt bank head-on; the impact was so hard that it tore the entire engine out of the car. It was the highest G-force recorded since NASCAR started using data recorders in the cars; they didn't release the actual numbers, but based on previously released data from other crashes, it was more than 80 Gs.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

Frankly I've always credited 90% of the safety improvements to mandatory HANS' and the soft walls. The COT did good stuff for rollover protection, but much of what it brought to the table was already starting to be implemented in the gen 4 cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Somewhat similar to Sadlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oyYD-D7A2g

• Locked thread