Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

pugnax posted:

Yeah, really looking forward to how it continues to unfold.

That issue literally gave me chills reading it. Jason Aaron...holy gently caress. READ SOUTHERN BASTARDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Martello posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm genuinely interested in what makes people think it's a great book. I really wanted to like it, after reading a lot of hype and loving Metabarons, but it was a chore to finish. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm no big fan of good art with bad writing, but in the case of The Incal Jodorowsky does an excellent job of just laying out a bunch of high-concept weirdness that Moebius can have a field day with. The result is imaginative but not intellectually rigorous, visceral but not raw. It's purely the exploratory spirit of Star Trek without the socio-political introspection.

The art is easily among the best I've ever seen in a comic.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Yeah, I think the art in the Incal is just so freaking good, I almost don't even care about the dialogue. In a lot of ways it's similar to Prophet (and probably appeals to the same sort of reader) in that it's just a cornucopia of psychedelic pulpy scifi wackiness.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Zachack posted:

I find Jodorowsky's writing to be pretty lacking in general in what I've read of his so maybe you just happened to like the Gimenez art more than the Moebius and the more "shouting" storytelling of Metabarons than Incal's,-er quieter storytelling. I thought Before the Incal was pretty terrible because the art just wasn't up to snuff to cover up the writing problems. I'm not sure how much of this is due to translation, though, as I've been reading early Heavy Metal and a lot of it takes a beating when words appear.

I wasn't a fan of Janjetov's art either. And yeah, like I said earlier, I wonder if the dialogue is less terrible when you read it in the original French. I also do prefer Gimenez to Moebius. Not to knock Moebius, because he's awesome, but I just like that heavy-painted style a lot.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'm no big fan of good art with bad writing, but in the case of The Incal Jodorowsky does an excellent job of just laying out a bunch of high-concept weirdness that Moebius can have a field day with. The result is imaginative but not intellectually rigorous, visceral but not raw. It's purely the exploratory spirit of Star Trek without the socio-political introspection.

The art is easily among the best I've ever seen in a comic.

It's great art, and I got some enjoyment out of reading the book because I got to look at Moebius stuff, but to me it doesn't make up for the lovely plot, bizarre or nonexistent character motivations, and horrible dialogue.

Though I admit I'm thinking of getting After the Incal just to look at Ladronn art. I fell in love with his work on Hip Flask and (not enough) Elephantmen stuff.

SalTheBard posted:

That issue literally gave me chills reading it. Jason Aaron...holy gently caress. READ SOUTHERN BASTARDS

Pre-ordering the first trade now. Aaron is easily one of my top 5 favorite writers. Scalped is amazing. The fact that Jason Aaron himself looks like a gritty working-class American badass just makes it all the better.

I'll even read superhero poo poo if he writes it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Martello posted:

Pre-ordering the first trade now. Aaron is easily one of my top 5 favorite writers. Scalped is amazing. The fact that Jason Aaron himself looks like a gritty working-class American badass just makes it all the better.

I'll even read superhero poo poo if he writes it.

Have you read his Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Original Sin?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Excuse me you forgot Thor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Excuse me you forgot Thor.

You are right I did forget Van art the book.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

SalTheBard posted:

I just read Southern Bastards #4 this morning, and I am so excited to see how this story unfolds. It's been on my mind all morning at work.

It was so good that I refuse to spoil it for anyone that has yet to read it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

I read his Wolverine, Ghost Rider is somewhere on my Amazon list and I haven't gotten it yet. I hadn't heard of Original Sin, but I just checked it out and it looks awesome. I'll have to get the trade on that one too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Martello posted:

I read his Wolverine, Ghost Rider is somewhere on my Amazon list and I haven't gotten it yet. I hadn't heard of Original Sin, but I just checked it out and it looks awesome. I'll have to get the trade on that one too.
Van Art Thor is better than all of those by a crocodile mile.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Zero is my new favorite. #9 was so soul-wrenching

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I just got vol 1 and 2 of "GOD IS DEAD" just because I've been really digging Hickman's Marvel stuff, and the concept sounded pretty awesome.

In the second issue, they nuke Texas. Best indie comic ever.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
I just finished reading Glory and holy poo poo was that a good series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

First Bass posted:

I just got vol 1 and 2 of "GOD IS DEAD" just because I've been really digging Hickman's Marvel stuff, and the concept sounded pretty awesome.

In the second issue, they nuke Texas. Best indie comic ever.

After Hickman leave it gets better for like one more volume then gets really bad.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Did anyone else read God Hates Astronauts? Some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read in my life and I can absolutely not wait for the next issue

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TheQat posted:

Zero is my new favorite. #9 was so soul-wrenching

Ales Kot just posted this issue for free to promote the new trade coming out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Preview of tomorrow's Prophet Strikefile #1 here.

A bunch of cool people have already posted some of their contributions for this series online. I love seeing the fresh and bold takes that different artists add whenever they come onto Prophet.

The one jarring thing about the preview is that this is probably the most overt amount of explication I've ever seen in any three consecutive pages of Prophet :v:

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

The one jarring thing about the preview is that this is probably the most overt amount of explication I've ever seen in any three consecutive pages of Prophet :v:

It's taken this long to write the backstory because they prob never wrote it down. I like it that way, but I see why some people demand more plot.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm actually a fan of the sparse, breadcrumb plotting. In fact, my worry is that Prophet could lose some of its magic by filling in its backstory with Strikefile. I don't necessarily want or need every element to be pinned down for me, and I've found other encyclopedic supplements that try to cohere their universe together like this just wind up being stifling exercises in canon-policing.

That said, I'm eager for anything Prophet related. From the pages already posted, it looks like it's going to be more of an excuse for other cool collaborators to come and work within the universe.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Tougher to spot on pull lists (I almost missed them) but both Stumptown Vol. 3 and Morrison/Irving's Annihilator start today.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Between Lazarus #11, Velvet #7, and Copperhead #1, this week is a pretty drat good week for Image.

I also completely forgot about Stumptown v3 #1, so it looks like I need to pay another visit to the comic shop.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Tougher to spot on pull lists (I almost missed them) but both Stumptown Vol. 3 and Morrison/Irving's Annihilator start today.

I grabbed Annihilator... Morrison has some great work and he has some lovely work, and Annihilator has some neat bits, but it is pointed in the wrong direction

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I enjoyed strikefile #1, if it's condensed world-building so they can do more cool stuff then I'm all for it

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

I grabbed Annihilator... Morrison has some great work and he has some lovely work, and Annihilator has some neat bits, but it is pointed in the wrong direction

I thought it was great, the art was amazing and the story grabbed me. What do you think was wrong with it?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Did anyone else read God Hates Astronauts? Some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read in my life and I can absolutely not wait for the next issue

I got the trade because I think I read an interview with or blurb by the author and thought it was just boring forced wackiness.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

krakagar posted:

I thought it was great, the art was amazing and the story grabbed me. What do you think was wrong with it?

Biggest one is that there's nothing that makes me think I'll like or care about any of the characters, and without good characters GMo's stuff can seem redundant or masturbatory.
I hope that the space sorry was supposed to be cheesy and over the top because the writer in the story isn't that good.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Mars4523 posted:

Between Lazarus #11, Velvet #7, and Copperhead #1, this week is a pretty drat good week for Image.

I also completely forgot about Stumptown v3 #1, so it looks like I need to pay another visit to the comic shop.

How's Copperhead? The ad/BKV blurb definitely caught my interest.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

pugnax posted:

How's Copperhead? The ad/BKV blurb definitely caught my interest.
I liked it a lot. BUT it's not a particularly original premise, since it's basically a western set in a sci fi setting. There are interesting plot and backstory threads that have me waiting for more. The characters are fairly stock at this point (new Sheriff with a dark past, resentful deputy, rich and slimy mine owner) but still appealing or abhorrent as intended, with plenty of room for growth. Also, Clara the single mother Sheriff is pretty great.

So if you're looking for a Sci-fi western that isn't that original but is executed very well, then I'd check it out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you want a sci-fi western you need to check out East of West.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Senor Candle posted:

I tried a few issues. I know it's supposed to be good, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on.

Copperhead is a bit more coherent.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just read Copperhead #1. Awesome. Added to the pull list.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

I'd also recommend Six-Gun Gorilla.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
Just wondering: is there an ETA for Prophet Vol 4?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Doug Rattman posted:

Just wondering: is there an ETA for Prophet Vol 4?

Not on Amazon yet, so as far as I'm concerned 'no'

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Seconding whoever recommended Southern Bastards. So far it's phenomenal and I can't wait to see what happens in issue 5.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I just ordered Prophet Volume 1. How awesome should I expect it to be?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mars4523 posted:

I tried a few issues. I know it's supposed to be good, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on.

Copperhead is a bit more coherent.

East of West is great. I felt like it was a little disjointed at first but it's been firing on all cylinders latley and the most recent issue was AWESOME.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Martello posted:

I just ordered Prophet Volume 1. How awesome should I expect it to be?

I like it a lot, just don't feel too daunted by the seemingly sudden shifts to other characters. The first trade introduces many key players that will have further bearing in the series so it's good to keep an eye on them even if they won't show up until some issues later.

The newest Prophet Strikefiles allayed all my earlier worries. A neat thing about this series is that it doesn't necessarily call for sequential art. I'm a big sucker for tableaus, cityscapes, and diagrams so I found everything in this issue really fun to read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh god I love diagrams. I really hope Strikefiles is collected with the final volume of Prophet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Annihilator by Morrison and Irwing: it is pretty good! Sure, the "writer has a writers block" stories are mostly wankery, unless they feature John Cusack or John Turturro, but this one promises to get off the rails into the funland very fast. I loved the Mister Miracle analogue with black nail polish, his scenes have a proper amount of grandiose poo poo in them.