Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Entropic posted:

Is there some complicated thing that multiple blockers adds to the deathtouch+trample interaction? You have to assign at least 1 damage to each blocker and then the rest tramples through to the opponent, right?

Nothing significantly more complicated than a creature with just deathtouch being blocked by multiple creatures, in that you can ping each one for 1 to take out as many blockers as your creature has power. And yes it works as you said it does in that it tramples over after you've assigned 1 to each blocker first.

Also I'm sorry that I happened to choose deathtouch and trample specifically in combination off the top of my head for my dumb example and in the process obscured the point I was actually making; I know they have a complicated interaction and can be difficult to new players to understand, though it was neat to be made aware that no creature in history has ever been printed with both abilities unconditionally. I always thought first strike + deathtouch was the holy grail of rare ability combinations (though that would be more for power-level than rules-obscurity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Entropic posted:

Is there some complicated thing that multiple blockers adds to the deathtouch+trample interaction? You have to assign at least 1 damage to each blocker and then the rest tramples through to the opponent, right?

Most people learn Deathtouch as "any amount is enough to destroy it" and trample as "the difference in my power and your toughness is dealt to you as damage." When a non trampling deathtoucher deals damage, they deal all of their damage to one creature, and then the creature dies, regardless of its toughness (unless it's indestructible). When the two mix, people still think of it as deathtouch dealing the full toughness it needs to trample over.

It's kind of similar to double strike and trample as a weird mechanic instance that makes sense only if it's been explained to you.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

I'm watching the SCG stream and I think I've fallen in love with Thomas Graves. His sleeves, the lands, the whole thing. Oh, and his shirt.

He seems to be the overall package. He's pretty cool, especially the sleeves, but someone on stream was playing with foil Mirrodin Plains and I just can't prefer someone else's lands over these ones, as much as I love the uniform fullart look.

Also, I really want RUG Chord to win, it seems like such an interesting tech.

VV: Unglued is the older more oval one, Unhinged is the square one. And Zendikar is the one with the large mana symbol in the middle of the lower side, since we're covering the full-art lands.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2014

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I can't remember, which Un-set is the full square art from and which is the oval one from?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Oraculum Animi posted:

I can't remember, which Un-set is the full square art from and which is the oval one from?

http://magiccards.info/ug/en/84.html
http://magiccards.info/uh/en/136.html

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gatherer+unhinged+plains&l=1

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So how long can Nissa stay at 38 bucks for??

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

So how long can Nissa stay at 38 bucks for??

Until a new standard where she is bad.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of, new standard can't come loving soon enough.

And, the new rotation schedule for that matter. I really can't wait to see what it'll be like to watch a meta forced to adapt fairly drastically just every 6 months.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not like there was ever a standard where elspeth was bad and she was never 38 bucks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It's not like there was ever a standard where elspeth was bad and she was never 38 bucks.

I would assume that kitchen table players love 4/4 tramplers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Playfield chat: I put my library on my left side and draw with my left hand despite being right-handed, because while I'm not as twitchy as other people I've played against, it helps me slow down a little bit and think more when I play. Also because I think when I first learned the game I saw a diagram that had the library on the player's left, and old habits die hard.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

My disappointment: Deadbridge Chant rotating out as Khans enters the format. :(

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

The big fall set gets opened way way more than a core set does, and for way longer. There are just so many more Elspeths in circulation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lunsku posted:

My disappointment: Deadbridge Chant rotating out as Khans enters the format. :(

My disappointment: Deadbridge Chant saw no play despite being a really good card.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

My disappointment: Deadbridge Chant saw no play despite being a really good card.

Ehhhhh, no. Trust me, when I saw Deadbridge Chant, I was hellbent to figure out how to break it. It does a lot of good things like filling up your graveyard and giving you extra cards per turn, but let's look at it a different way.

On its own, it's going to give you a card per turn from a known pool. That might as well read "Draw a card", six mana for a painless Phyrexia Arena and we already having something like that in Standard. If you're heavy on creatures, it's at a point where the randomness is just not worth it. You might even be bringing back things like Elvish Mystic which is... yay?

If you can exile your entire graveyard, you can use it for pin pointed returns. That's going to be iffy as your best bet is the ooze, which means you're going to be spending even more mana to make it work.

Your best case is for creatures that get bigger as your graveyard gets bigger. Those decks are already dumping stuff into the graveyard and not really bothering with six mana cards that aren't punching face. Even then, it's hard to pull out of the graveyard without going out of your way to do it.

It looks cool. Everyone really wanted it to be strong. But it's just not that great.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 6, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Counterpoint: no it wasn't. green and black aren't durdly colors you can throw fog banks out front with, you want to be getting 1 for 1 value constantly. Deadbridge might get you insane value...2+ turns later. Even if your next card is a pulokranos you'd be much better off just casting that. Yeah it revives some creatures, but again its at random.

More importantly why would you want Deadbridge in a format with fetchlands? That's just dumb

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mortimer posted:

More importantly why would you want Deadbridge in a format with fetchlands? That's just dumb

Well if I'm not recurring my fetchlands with chant, how am I going to get up to 14 mana so I can make 5 zombies with OPEN THE PIT.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Jund decks played it quite a bit, in that tiny period between Dragon's Maze and M14.

The problem is that M14 had Scavenging Ooze, and Deadbridge Chant was loving obliterated by it. You just fueled their Scooze by playing it because they got an untap between you playing Deadbridge Chant and getting any benefit from it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I cannot believe how bad these R/w Burn players are on stream.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnacondaHL posted:

We're probably going to see a lot more Burn come rotation.

I'm worried, honestly.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

We're probably going to see a lot more Burn come rotation.

I'm worried, honestly.

Losing Boros Charm and Warleader's Helix will kill the burn deck. It doesn't matter how good Stoke and Magma Jet are.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AlternateNu posted:

Losing Boros Charm and Warleader's Helix will kill the burn deck. It doesn't matter how good Stoke and Magma Jet are.

~75% of Khans is still unspoiled.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

AnacondaHL posted:

Any particularly funny/bad plays?

Also did anyone catch the deck tech on the 4-color reanimator deck some kid was playing? I tuned in right at the end of it and SCG hasn't added anything to their coverage page yet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The last match they showed had the burn opponent down to 6 with a scavenging ooze and green mana open, but no creatures in any graveyard. Burn player draws a Boros Charm with a Mutavault and... some other two power creature. I think a young peezy. Anyway, he attacks, opponent blocks, and lets damage happen without casting the Boros Charm. Opponent never activates the scanvenging ooze and dies on the swing back.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I really want to make an Abzan humans deck come rotation. Almost certainly wouldn't be great, but I've got a play set of Sylvan Caryatids, Phalanx Leaders, and Cavalry Pegasi that are really liking the looks of Abzan Ascendancy and Hardened Scales.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Also did anyone catch the deck tech on the 4-color reanimator deck some kid was playing? I tuned in right at the end of it and SCG hasn't added anything to their coverage page yet.

Through several late game turns it was glaringly obvious the Jund Planeswalker player was holding all land (atleast didn't have removal). He is at 6 life with a large Scavenging Ooze having just eaten every creature in both graveyards.

Burn player has Mutavault and Young Pyromancer in play. Draw. Gets Boros Charm.

...proceeds to combat, lets Ooze block Young Pyromancer AND combat damage resolves, then sits there like an idiot, passes the turn.

Jund player rips Mistcutter Hydra for X=7 and lethal, leaving 1 Forest untapped.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
If I wanted to get into EDH would Purphoros be a good starting commander? Or would I be immediately killed by everyone at the table?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just took another look at the spoiled cards and I noticed something interesting. Obviously all the wedge cards are watermarked, as are a number of monocolored cards.

However, among the two color cards that have been spoiled, only Icefeather Aven is watermarked, while Mindswipe, Utter End and Sagu Mauler are not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Some Numbers posted:

I just took another look at the spoiled cards and I noticed something interesting. Obviously all the wedge cards are watermarked, as are a number of monocolored cards.

However, among the two color cards that have been spoiled, only Icefeather Aven is watermarked, while Mindswipe, Utter End and Sagu Mauler are not.

With all due respect, why is this interesting?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Some Numbers posted:

That's pretty weird, since the art and flavor all make it pretty clear that Mindswipe, Utter End, and Sagu Mauler belong to Temur, Mardu, and Sultai respectively, despite not having any of their "main" colors. Maybe they just want them to be kind of ambiguous?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

I think in RtR the only watermarked cards were those that either involved two colors (whether in the casting cost or as an off-color activated ability) or that had a guild's keyword mechanic printed on it. What's surprising isn't that the other enemy-color cards aren't watermarked but that Icefeather Aven is, since its colors could fit in either Temur or Sultai and it doesn't have either keyword.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^: Sure, that's a fair way to look at it.

Rinkles posted:

With all due respect, why is this interesting?

Because there are two clans - colorwise - that each enemy guild card could belong to. I'm curious about why one GU card belongs to a specific clan and another one doesn't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Some Numbers posted:

Because there are two clans - colorwise - that each enemy guild card could belong to. I'm curious about why one GU card belongs to a specific clan and another one doesn't.

Like LoB said I think the Aven being watermarked is odder. But maybe it's watermarked because it's rather explicitly from the Temur tundra.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I mean, we're being a little bit pedantic. I don't care if all the two color cards are watermarked or not; I'm specifically curious about why it's not consistent.

Whether you want to say the presence of a watermark is weirder than the absence of one or the other way around, it comes to the same thing: the lack of consistency between Icefeather Aven and Sagu Mauler is a little weird.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I mention it because if there's only one known outlier instead of three then it might just be a mistake. Maybe the bounce effect was Ferocious at some point in development and they forgot to remove the watermark when they changed it, or maybe the image put up in the article was inaccurate?

e: Do cards in duel/clash/event/etc decks ever have watermarks when they didn't in the main set?

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 7, 2014

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I got in to the top 8 (not counting FNM/Game Day/etc) for the first time today at a GPT. Ended up in 3rd playing Orzhov Control. Felt really good, especially after my abysmal FNM performance last night.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AgentSythe posted:

The last match they showed had the burn opponent down to 6 with a scavenging ooze and green mana open, but no creatures in any graveyard. Burn player draws a Boros Charm with a Mutavault and... some other two power creature. I think a young peezy. Anyway, he attacks, opponent blocks, and lets damage happen without casting the Boros Charm. Opponent never activates the scanvenging ooze and dies on the swing back.

God that was so painful to watch. Even a bad player would've Boros Charm-ed before combat damage, simply to get an extra elemental token out of Young Pyro. The Burn player was terrible and also misplayed the last turns of his first game, which he also lost.

The Jund player did miss something though. When the Burn player misplayed and passed, the Jund player could have activated Ooze at EOT. If the Burn player responds with Boros Charm, Jund player could have just activated Ooze again in response, targeting the same creature. It would've been slightly more mana efficient to do it that way. Commentators didn't see that either.

qbert fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 7, 2014

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I mean, we're being a little bit pedantic. I don't care if all the two color cards are watermarked or not; I'm specifically curious about why it's not consistent.

Whether you want to say the presence of a watermark is weirder than the absence of one or the other way around, it comes to the same thing: the lack of consistency between Icefeather Aven and Sagu Mauler is a little weird.

I think someone was saying that it's a card from one of the wedges that doesn't contain the wedge's primary colour. I'm pretty sure I took a quick look and seemed to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I mention it because if there's only one known outlier instead of three then it might just be a mistake. Maybe the bounce effect was Ferocious at some point in development and they forgot to remove the watermark when they changed it, or maybe the image put up in the article was inaccurate?

e: Do cards in duel/clash/event/etc decks ever have watermarks when they didn't in the main set?

There was an Izzet card in the original Guildpact that had a Gruul watermark, so it could be a mistake.

• Locked thread