Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

I discovered what was causing my traction issue.
A "reluctor ring". I thought I'd just drive around with no TCS but apparently the abs uses it too and that sounds dangerous.
So, has anyone done this job? How much of a pain in the arse is it? And why are non oem rings so bloody expensive. They look like they'd be about 3 quid.

If you can get the axle out they are stupid simple to replace. Break or otherwise drive off the old one, clean up where it sits with some light sandpaper (because they all break due to rust under there) hit it with some rust preventing paint and carefully drive/tap it on the new one as evenly as possible.

They are expensive because BMW. The ford/chevy ones are like $3.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Edit: just realised the rear ones are mounted differently to front ones, but for the fronts the below still applies.

I don't know about the ring itself, but to get to it it'll be a hub off job. Assuming its similar to cooking model e46's it's is eminently DIYable. There are few good tutorials about.

Check everything else behind the hub while you are there, such as handbrake mounting plates & front dust shields as these are a pain when they fail.

stump fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 5, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I just got the TPMS sensors for the new wheels. Is there some wacky pairing procedure to make them work with the car, or do they just work out of the box?

Edit: answered my own question https://www.bimmian.com/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Sensors-TPMS-for-BMW-E92-or-E93-3-Series

Installation Difficulty: PROFESSIONAL - Professional Installation Recommended :lol::lol:

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 6, 2014

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

I could fit EIGHT FOOT 2x4's in my E46 SEDAN (4 door supremacy). :smugdog:

It was easier to just strap them to the roof racks though.

20 pieces of 10 foot rebar in my coupe, trunk closed. The Home Depot peeps looked at me funny. I think my e46 gets used as a truck more often than trucks.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shopping for GDCS parts for my E30 325i this morning. I know this was discussed a few times already, but can anyone tell me which water pump manufacturer to look for? I can't remember if it was Graf or Salerno to avoid.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

T-Square posted:

Shopping for GDCS parts for my E30 325i this morning. I know this was discussed a few times already, but can anyone tell me which water pump manufacturer to look for? I can't remember if it was Graf or Salerno to avoid.

Graf gets a lot of grief for some lovely welds on their impellers that failed a few years back. That said I've had a Graf in my e46 for going on 2 years now and it's held up fine. Welds on it looked ok too.

Defo stay away from URO though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I put a graf metal impeller waterpump in my E30 a month or so ago and it's been fine. Didn't most of the lovely ones fail quite quickly, like a few minutes after start up?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I was reading that for E30's the composite Impeller is the way to go. Stronger than the original plastic and less mass than the metal. I picked up the Saleri for my m42.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So am I stupid for thinking about converting a non-folding rear seatback to a folding rear seatback on an E39? I found a '00 540i that someone's parting and one of the few things good enough to use on my car is the rear seatback... looks like there are a number of parts to swap -- the different sections of the seatback, mounting anchors at the top, some of the trunk lining... but is it as simple as swapping the parts?

There's a metal bulkhead behind mine, I don't know if it's bolted or sealed in place.

Edit: Searching shows that it is possible, but requires cutting out the metal bulkhead. I don't think it's worth it. :(

I can get the whole setup for $40, though, so I might just grab the parts to resell.

Edit2: I also found a TEC cupholder in the donor car: http://www.tecaccessories.com/The-TEC-BMW-E39-5-Series-Cup-Holder

I was able to clean it up and it fit and works perfectly. I didn't even know such a thing existed, I thought E39s were forever stuck with the worthless ones under the HVAC controls.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 6, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Are there any decent snow tires that will fit 18" e90 rims? I'm in Colorado and drove last winter on the lovely runflats, and it was terrible. Bad enough that I want either Blizzaks or a beater to drive on snow days.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah you're right op.

Anyway I picked up deez nuts today and ordered a stud conversion.

Mind sharing what studs you got? Everything I'm seeing is black and looks like poo poo. Those look great.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Mind sharing what studs you got? Everything I'm seeing is black and looks like poo poo. Those look great.

They're muteki sr48s on a boring rear end stud conversion mate.

I binned my stupid car into a bush today so I'll definitely be fixing this TCS issue. Wet road and second gear means don't be enthusiastic. Oh well, lesson learned. Missed a lamp post by about a meter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Edit2: I also found a TEC cupholder in the donor car: http://www.tecaccessories.com/The-TEC-BMW-E39-5-Series-Cup-Holder

I was able to clean it up and it fit and works perfectly. I didn't even know such a thing existed, I thought E39s were forever stuck with the worthless ones under the HVAC controls.

Those cup holders that come from the factory in the E39 are the worst. The E38 is just as awful, and I cant remember if the E36 poor mobile even has cup holders. The cup holders in my E60 weren't much better to be honest, they weren't as awful as the E39, but still sucked.

Ze Germans don't drink and drive.

Edit: The E34 had a tray. A loving tray. E30s had trays and between your legs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The E36 had cup holders in the center console. They were far better than the E39 crap.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

I binned my stupid car into a bush today so I'll definitely be fixing this TCS issue. Wet road and second gear means don't be enthusiastic. Oh well, lesson learned. Missed a lamp post by about a meter.

Why isn't there a :facepalm: smiley?

E39 seat chat -- the parts car has comfort seats, mine has the standard electric. How silly am I to think about swapping seats, but also swapping my perfect leather for the worn leather on the comfort seats? Looks like the same part number...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

E39 seat chat -- the parts car has comfort seats, mine has the standard electric. How silly am I to think about swapping seats, but also swapping my perfect leather for the worn leather on the comfort seats? Looks like the same part number...

Personal preference. I had standard electrics in my E39 and my E60 came with sport seats. The sport seats were literally given from the gods and fit me like a glove.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

:doh:
code:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Galler posted:

code:

:annoyedgrunt:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ze Germans don't drink and drive.

Edit: The E34 had a tray. A loving tray. E30s had trays and between your legs.

The tray was intended for the car phone option too. You could jam drinks in there but there was a 50% chance of deforming the container and popping the top off when you did.

Also if you jammed a bottle of water in there and opened the top it would shoot everywhere.

:allears: I miss my E34

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Are there any decent snow tires that will fit 18" e90 rims? I'm in Colorado and drove last winter on the lovely runflats, and it was terrible. Bad enough that I want either Blizzaks or a beater to drive on snow days.

Have you thought about trying to pick up a second set of wheels, like factory 17s or even 16s (if it's a 328). More sidewall for less winter pothole pain.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TacoHavoc posted:

Have you thought about trying to pick up a second set of wheels, like factory 17s or even 16s (if it's a 328). More sidewall for less winter pothole pain.

Yeah this. Its better to have tall skinny tires for most winter driving. I ran 15's on my E34 with a tall profile in the winter and 16's low profile for summer.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

GDCS!

It was bound to happen. 160,000 miles and no history. But it's confusing me;

This morning, started car; within 10 seconds low coolant light. Went off before I could stop so carried on and did around 6 miles with normal temps showing. When I got back the expansion tank was bone dry but the engine was warm.

Left the car for 6 hours and checked level again. Bone dry, no visible leaks in under tray, so I open the bleeder so I can fill it up to take to a garage/priest. As soon as I open the bleeder screw the float shoots up to show 100% just to be sure I drive around the estate a few times to see if it'll pop and normal temps again.

Is this the car warning me?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Just get a new cooling system in the car already, jesus christ. Are you trying to blow up your engine?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Did the valve adjustment on my Z4M yesterday. I'm sure glad I did; I ended up adjusting all 12 exhaust valves as too tight (most pretty close at .28-.22 but one at !!! .17 !!!) and 3 intake valves. Took my time and including an oil change went from 10AM to 5:30PM.

What a joy of a car to work on. There's so much room under the hood! Same job on an M3 must be much less fun with the engine stuffed into the firewall.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I can't believe I never knew about this before.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Amusing. I use it every time. I kinda like not having it hanging off a cord like some sort of gas station toilet key.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Galler posted:

code:

Also :ughh:

(P.S. if you mouseover a smiley, it tells you the code for it, btw. No need to type it out separately).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

Same job on an M3 must be much less fun with the engine stuffed into the firewall.

Nah, you just have to remove the fresh air intake tray (4 screws) and then the entire top of the engine is in plain sight.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cancelbot posted:

160,000 miles and no history.

Is this the car warning me?

No. You should totally keep driving it like that. I'm sure it'll totally turn out fine.

Or you'll need a new motor. One or the other.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Denial is a powerful (and expensive) feeling. Parts ordered!

Edit: Holy poo poo my radiator is sagging so bad it's nearly touching the under tray. When I bought this car you couldn't see it behind the A/C condenser :psyduck:

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 8, 2014

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

I can't believe I never knew about this before.

hahahahaha I use it every time, and think I'm some kind of superior person when I do it.

Then I drive my wife's Fiesta, which like most modern Fords doesn't even have a goddamn cap, and I realize we're living in the future.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.
Hi, thread. It's been a while.

I've had this E30 since late 2009 after I sold my E36 328is, and it's had less than 10 miles put on it in that time. It spent a year parked in my garage, 2 years on the lift in our shop, a year parked outside, and finally got put back together this year and sent off for paint/body work. I got it back this weekend. Was originally Lachssilber, I had it painted Alpinweiss III.

It has full SpecE30 suspension kit & exhaust, camber plates, new clutch, LSD swap, short shifter, all poly or solid bushings, new brakes all around, A/C removed, engine fan delete, stripped interior... Dash & doors intact still, not sure on the weight. New timing belt, all maintenance items done, suspension mount points reinforced, etc.

This is why you don't buy a project car, kids. I paid $800 for this stupid car from a Bf.c member locally who was taking a job transfer to Texas and didn't want to move it with him. Now 5 years later I have nearly 10x that in it (and that's my brother & I doing all the labor, except paint/body) - it just needs a couple hundred bucks more to be a good street/autox/track day toy (which will be done in the next week or two), and a few grand more to be a real RACECAR (cage, fire system, nets & harnesses, FIA seats, etc.)

Oh, add $70 just for new Roundels for hood & trunk today. That's almost 10% of what I paid for the whole car.

And I just sat outside Saturday night staring at it. What is it about these old Deutsche autos?

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

I think this is good timing/relevant to your post: http://youtu.be/FSgZGOCyYcY

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I found a 99 Z3 M Roadster for $7500 w/ 124k miles. Debating about buying it; what do you guys think? It's silver ext, black int/top.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cancelbot posted:

I think this is good timing/relevant to your post: http://youtu.be/FSgZGOCyYcY

That intro is amazing

Nait Sirhc posted:

I found a 99 Z3 M Roadster for $7500 w/ 124k miles. Debating about buying it; what do you guys think? It's silver ext, black int/top.

I'd have it inspected, just to make sure the rear subframe mounting hasn't started to tear out.

If it has, buy that bitch for 4k and get it fixed for 2k and enjoy the poo poo out of it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Argh just discovered a crack in my oil pan. What's weird is that it's in the upper section. Almost looks like a casting flaw. Anyway it doesn't appear to be leaking so I don't think I'll mess with it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Huh. 420 unread posts.

Anyways, it's almost time for me to start posting dumb poo poo up in here again. The E39 is being flatbedded from NW AR up here to Denver some time in the next three weeks. It was sold new in Colorado, so it's a bit of a homecoming.

I love riding the bus to and from work, but our jeep has really bad rod knock and the rear end sounds like a box full of rocks. Need my Sunday cruiser.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

That intro is amazing

I'd have it inspected, just to make sure the rear subframe mounting hasn't started to tear out.

If it has, buy that bitch for 4k and get it fixed for 2k and enjoy the poo poo out of it.

I bought it for 6k. It's a hoot. Came w/ AC Schnitzer exhaust, suspension, wheels, and various interior bits.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
that seems like a ridiculously good deal, what's wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nait Sirhc posted:

I bought it for 6k. It's a hoot. Came w/ AC Schnitzer exhaust, suspension, wheels, and various interior bits.

So now you've got a pair of BMWs that sold new for what... $130k? And you've paid less than the original tax on them?

Gotta say, I'm jealous.