Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

EroticBlacksmith posted:

Look at the bottom of the second post.

Man, I read through it but stopped at the frog picture. That covers it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, the only times you really want to min max are if you're chaining T4's or Nightmare runs. Maybe Orokin Derelict Survival. Other than that, use what you want and gently caress anyone who gets on your case, fun takes priority.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Captain Oblivious posted:

B) Nikana stances. Would anyone have any impressions on which is better between Tranquil Cleave and Decisive Judgement? They're both rare and expensive enough in plat that I don't want to buy the wrong one.

If you are on PC I'll trade you a judgment for 2 R5s.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, the only times you really want to min max are if you're chaining T4's or Nightmare runs. Maybe Orokin Derelict Survival. Other than that, use what you want and gently caress anyone who gets on your case, fun takes priority.

This reminds me, last night I joined a Ruk run and the host asked what my mastery level was. I told him and he immediately bailed, forcing a host migration. That's pretty funny if mastery discrimination is a thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sandweed posted:

If you are on PC I'll trade you a judgment for 2 R5s.

Well, that's certainly a deal I'll cheerfully take. Screen name is Fiaryn, I'll be around aplenty tomorrow.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

A) Lets say I'm building a Soma. So far the mod layout I've got in mind is Serration/Split Chamber/Infected Clip/Stormbringer/Point Strike/Vital Sense/Shred. For that last slot, would you recommend Hammer Shot or Critical Delay? Or a more dramatic overhaul altogether?
8th slot should be Heavy Caliber (best option) or another Elemental mod. Hammer Shot and Critical Delay are, relatively speaking, useless.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

This reminds me, last night I joined a Ruk run and the host asked what my mastery level was. I told him and he immediately bailed, forcing a host migration. That's pretty funny if mastery discrimination is a thing.

I can somewhat understand asking for like a t4, but for Ruk that's just hilarious.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

The best part is that he had to ask instead of bringing up the team menu (which you should have defaulted to always up because seeing team HP is always a good thing).

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

B) Nikana stances. Would anyone have any impressions on which is better between Tranquil Cleave and Decisive Judgement? They're both rare and expensive enough in plat that I don't want to buy the wrong one.

They're the same, in that they offer the same extra mod space and are both worse than using quick melee.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Male Man posted:

They're the same, in that they offer the same extra mod space and are both worse than using quick melee.

Yeah but quick melee is boring

sockpuppetclock posted:

8th slot should be Heavy Caliber (best option) or another Elemental mod. Hammer Shot and Critical Delay are, relatively speaking, useless.

I'd have thought the accuracy penalty would hit the Soma hard with how much of a bullet hose it is but sure why not.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
In regards to heavy caliber, accuracy is more like spread increase. Your first shot will always be 100% accurate (barring arrow drop), and your subsequent shots afterwards will start penalizing you PER bullet/laser beam/arrow/goo/whatever. Weapons with 100 Accuracy will never deviate from the center of your weird circle dot crosshair thing. Tacking on fire rate over damage per shot isn't always great idea with low accuracy or bullet hose weapons; you will become less accurate, faster.

Accuracy isn't really a big issue in this game, but it could start being one with a fast weapon and high level heavy caliber.

quote:

It's been so long since I had to know anything about anti-aliasing other than 'either smaa or nothing' that I had to google those acronyms. Personally, it's the increased texture quality/detail visibility that makes supersampling worth using for me, the jaggies are pretty trivial.

Also, I noticed that you're getting about 38 fps just standing in a loving hallway with your heaviest AA on.

Not my image! I can maintain a constant 60 fps (not counting staring into Vauban blackholes) with 4x SGSSAA (8x murders my pc). Even with that, the texture quality is much better than the fuzzy FXAA and noticeably better than SMAA, along with removing the jaggies I have with both.

quote:

I'm happy with the new native SMAA option they added. If anyone is still using the utterly awful FXAA, I encourage you to try the SMAA setting, it's better by miles.

Also please do this if the SGSSAA OGSSAA 16xqMLGeSPORTS does not interest you

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Zombie Samurai posted:

We've seen plenty of evidence that pubbies in general don't have a good idea about how much of the game works. I wouldn't be surprised if this person hasn't figured out how to fight Ruk and brings their absolute best kit to compensate, while also not realizing they're setting off the boss scaling and therefore personally responsible for turning non-maxed loadouts into noncontributors.

EDIT

Cathair posted:

Some people swear by the 'first shot is always accurate thing', but in my experience it doesn't work like that. I am also far from the first or only person to refute this theory.

In any case, what Heavy Caliber does on the Soma is reduce the initial accuracy. For some reason, probably due to it being a special mechanic, the fully wound-up spread remains the same. Basically, if you like the versatility of sniping in bursts with your heavy machinegun, then omit Heavy Caliber. If you just want to get up in chumps' faces and make them all dead as fast as possible, slot Heavy Caliber.
Echoing this. Soma and continuous fire weapons behave perfectly fine, but accidentally forgetting about the behavior and throwing it onto Latron Wraith had me going "has my aim really gotten THIS bad?!" until I saw that my shots weren't landing anywhere near the aimpoint.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 7, 2014

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

lewtt posted:

In regards to heavy caliber, accuracy is more like spread increase. Your first shot will always be 100% accurate (barring arrow drop), and your subsequent shots afterwards will start penalizing you PER bullet/laser beam/arrow/goo/whatever. Weapons with 100 Accuracy will never deviate from the center of your weird circle dot crosshair thing. Tacking on fire rate over damage per shot isn't always great idea with low accuracy or bullet hose weapons; you will become less accurate, faster.

Accuracy isn't really a big issue in this game, but it could start being one with a fast weapon and high level heavy caliber.

Some people swear by the 'first shot is always accurate thing', but in my experience it doesn't work like that. I am also far from the first or only person to refute this theory.

In any case, what Heavy Caliber does on the Soma is reduce the initial accuracy. For some reason, probably due to it being a special mechanic, the fully wound-up spread remains the same. Basically, if you like the versatility of sniping in bursts with your heavy machinegun, then omit Heavy Caliber. If you just want to get up in chumps' faces and make them all dead as fast as possible, slot Heavy Caliber.

lewtt posted:

Not my image! I can maintain a constant 60 fps (not counting staring into Vauban blackholes) with 4x SGSSAA (8x murders my pc). Even with that, the texture quality is much better than the fuzzy FXAA and noticeably better than SMAA, along with removing the jaggies I have with both.

Hey, that's cool. I wish it was possible to downsample on DX11. The GeDoSaTo guy says he plans to get around to it eventually, but it basically requires a seperate set of code built from the ground up, which will take time. :(

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Vauban Helmet Blueprint alert up for the next 115 minutes, if anyone's awake to see this post.

Otherwise, I'm sorry if you were looking at this and just woke up having missed it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
That makes all 3 parts for Vauban in less than 36 hours. Glad I installed the warframe alert app!

Tomorrow I'll start the actual frame construction :D

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

a cat on an apple posted:

Vauban Helmet Blueprint alert up for the next 115 minutes, if anyone's awake to see this post.

Otherwise, I'm sorry if you were looking at this and just woke up having missed it.

I would have missed it if it wasn't for your post, and it was the last piece I needed.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
So I'm trying to farm Tranquil Cleave and some other stance mods. Does anyone know if the enemy level even affects the drop rate at all? Like, Tranquil is annoying because it only drops from Butchers but only in Earth and Phobos tilesets because DE saw it fit to make the same enemies but with just different camo coloring an entire separate enemy group.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

wid posted:

Does anyone know if the enemy level even affects the drop rate at all?
It does not. Bring Nekros.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Aaaand Vauban Chassis on Sedna for another 45 minutes get your own Vauban, while this deluge of component alerts lasts!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I need a helmet but I'm not waking up at 5am for it. :sigh: Or rather, I would if I knew about it, but I didn't, so...

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Weirdest drat mission bug, Wolpertinger invited me to come farm oxium with him on a Corpus mobile defense mission, we load in, mission seems totally empty and broken until Lotus says we're nearing a VIP, enter a clearing and it's a bright red Grineer guy called Electroprod, he dies in one hit, mission complete, VIP dead, the gently caress happened here?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I've seen that before. I think it's just a thing that happens, maybe as a random event or maybe it's a specific node or something. (I saw it on the first node of Pluto).

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

wid posted:

So I'm trying to farm Tranquil Cleave and some other stance mods. Does anyone know if the enemy level even affects the drop rate at all? Like, Tranquil is annoying because it only drops from Butchers but only in Earth and Phobos tilesets because DE saw it fit to make the same enemies but with just different camo coloring an entire separate enemy group.

I got mine and bite in the same dog farming run. Dogs and dens have a weird rear end drop table. The other half of my normal group was on sechura, mumble was quite amusing to hear.

Ok weapon talk.
The kestrel is the best PvP weapon in the game right now. Build for max bounces(glaves and kestrel get no extra distance from mods). Add to that all the damage you can. My current setup is pressure point-spoiled strike-fury-and a maxed bounce to add like 6 bounces. You can(should) ragdoll your main target towards the edge of the map or under a active turret. Most players are dumb and the ai infantry is harder to hit than the players. Trust me if you do any PvP try that out, it takes a few throws to get the range and basic tricks like hitting people behind cover but you will not regret it. 2.8mil in battlepay and counting.

Glaxion how does babby make this thing good? And is the nukor any better?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

david... posted:

Weirdest drat mission bug, Wolpertinger invited me to come farm oxium with him on a Corpus mobile defense mission, we load in, mission seems totally empty and broken until Lotus says we're nearing a VIP, enter a clearing and it's a bright red Grineer guy called Electroprod, he dies in one hit, mission complete, VIP dead, the gently caress happened here?

You just killed the ghost of pre Update 9 Vor.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

xyigx posted:

(glaves and kestrel get no extra distance from mods)

Whirlwind increases flight speed and, strangely enough, increases flight distance a bit, as well. Of course, it's also near impossible to get - drops from Corrupted Heavy Gunners which I've been Desecrating for literal weeks now because the Kestrel was the first weapon I really liked, and I still haven't seen it.

With Whirlwind, I personally suggest leaving Kestrel at the default amount of bounces if you're intending to take advantage of Power Throw: Three bounces is a lot easier to control where the explosion will be than 6. Additionally, the real power of the Kestrel comes from the fact that you actually ragdoll enemies to hell when you hit them directly, so sometimes extra bounces do little but prolong the amount of time before you can ragdoll someone again.

If you want to do some real good damage, Loki's Invisibility applies the 400% damage modifier to thrown Kestrel & its explosion from Power Throw. I occasionally break 20k in PvE with this set-up depending on Crits, with 10k being common. If that damage works in PvP, then.. yeah.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

david... posted:

Basically what Kyte said.

To elaborate, Vor used to be a red Flameblade boss with Volt's 1 for a long range attack, and his alert assassination version was called Electroprod.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

Basically what Kyte said.

To elaborate, Vor used to be a red Flameblade boss with Volt's 1 for a long range attack, and his alert assassination version was called Electroprod.

I just wonder what piece of magical broken code summoned a long dead boss, its pretty special

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It finally happened, I got called a wall hacker in a co-op shooter.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hooah posted:

Or even if you're doing survival with goons and they get bored. Which apparently happens immediately.

But there could be something good in this other room...

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I hit the loving kubrow jackpot...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

david... posted:

I hit the loving kubrow jackpot...

sell those imprints for hella plat!

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
So today on lovely Bugs in Warframe, I accidentally took a Bleeding Dragon Key into ODA, and at some point during Lephantis I was "downed" by poison damage but was still able to move around and use my Attica.

A minute later, I was then downed without "bleeding out", meaning I never officially died, or anything. I was continually swarmed by all of the adds of the boss. I was also able to use Mag's powers, and eventually managed to not be ragdoll'd long enough to use Pull a few times to kill all the adds, crawl into a corner where nothing could hit me, then slowly finished off Lephantis with my Despair. (took five minutes)

My friend, who basically guilt-tripped me into playing this game, told me he has never experienced all of these bugs I do.

I think I need a new friend. Also, to stop playing this terrible game.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

So today on lovely Bugs in Warframe, I accidentally took a Bleeding Dragon Key into ODA, and at some point during Lephantis I was "downed" by poison damage but was still able to move around and use my Attica.

A minute later, I was then downed without "bleeding out", meaning I never officially died, or anything. I was continually swarmed by all of the adds of the boss. I was also able to use Mag's powers, and eventually managed to not be ragdoll'd long enough to use Pull a few times to kill all the adds, crawl into a corner where nothing could hit me, then slowly finished off Lephantis with my Despair. (took five minutes)

My friend, who basically guilt-tripped me into playing this game, told me he has never experienced all of these bugs I do.

I think I need a new friend. Also, to stop playing this terrible game.
Dr. Framelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bugs.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, what do you mean by "adds"? Mobs?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Whirlwind increases flight speed and, strangely enough, increases flight distance a bit, as well. Of course, it's also near impossible to get - drops from Corrupted Heavy Gunners which I've been Desecrating for literal weeks now because the Kestrel was the first weapon I really liked, and I still haven't seen it.

With Whirlwind, I personally suggest leaving Kestrel at the default amount of bounces if you're intending to take advantage of Power Throw: Three bounces is a lot easier to control where the explosion will be than 6. Additionally, the real power of the Kestrel comes from the fact that you actually ragdoll enemies to hell when you hit them directly, so sometimes extra bounces do little but prolong the amount of time before you can ragdoll someone again.

If you want to do some real good damage, Loki's Invisibility applies the 400% damage modifier to thrown Kestrel & its explosion from Power Throw. I occasionally break 20k in PvE with this set-up depending on Crits, with 10k being common. If that damage works in PvP, then.. yeah.

For some reason in PvP the extra bounces will knock down nearby teammates of the one you just sent into the stratosphere. So 1 throw will usually kill the first one and knock down all the others. Just add a Attica with thunderbolt and you will wreck half the team in about 2 seconds.(thunderbolt procs even though it is not supposed to that Ebuild

The reason this all works is because ever match you start out as a unranked frame again Lol.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Lork posted:

Dr. Framelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bugs.

Sometimes it's amusing, like I can't get enough of how I can just clip through walls all the time just because I'm wall running. In that case, if I didn't want to still suffer from it, I would stop wall-running. But then there's poo poo like what just happened to me, or like the one time I threw my Kestrel and it never loving came back leaving me with no melee weapon for the rest of the mission like how in the gently caress

hooah posted:

Yes, additional mobs that spawn. The Crawlers and Leapers and Exploders and all that poo poo. They swarmed me because I wasn't bleeding out, and kept attacking me, so the animation of going into bleeding out/dying kept repeating constantly.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Sometimes it's amusing, like I can't get enough of how I can just clip through walls all the time just because I'm wall running. In that case, if I didn't want to still suffer from it, I would stop wall-running. But then there's poo poo like what just happened to me, or like the one time I threw my Kestrel and it never loving came back leaving me with no melee weapon for the rest of the mission like how in the gently caress
I can honestly say that at this point about half of the entertainment value I get out of Waframe comes from marveling at the seemingly endless supply of bafflingly absurd bugs that the game throws at you at a regular basis. You just never know what kind of insane bullshit the game is going to put you through next.

It's definitely a game you should only try to play if you like to laugh at life.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Yeah, it's MMO lingo. Adds are little ordinary enemies that spawn during a boss fight.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So, uh, how do I Nyx? Coming off of Volt I feel like I move like molasses and have nothing to contribute. Mind Control only seems useful when I'm soloing and I don't think Psychic Bolts is doing any sort of worthwhile damage. Should I be leaning on Chaos and Absorb, then?

Also, how is the Tetra? I've just about maxed all my primaries and it looks like the only one I can build right now with no farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Where was the rest of your team?

Edit: ^^^^ Chaos and Absorb are your 2 good powers. Psychic Bolts is terrible. Mind Control is situationally useful, though it does completely break Corrupted Vor.

EroticBlacksmith fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 8, 2014