Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh boy is this leading to another falcon whine? Reminder that you need to use 60+ points to even make a competitive falcon that only puts out 3-4 shots/turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh boy is this leading to another falcon whine? Reminder that you need to use 60+ points to even make a competitive falcon that only puts out 3-4 shots/turn.

And it's really only 1, because you can't actually kill more than one ship at a time. Losing a die off the Falcon would be pretty terrible, and everyone would just run Whispers with impunity.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Which is why I said almost. I think its fine now considering that the Phantom is out. I would have liked if there was an incentive to use the front firing arc of the falcon, that's all.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There would be if they made ordnance for large ships only. Maybe cheaper variants of current missiles offset by the large ship's price.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
"Overloaded Launcher - Modification, Large Ship Only: On [torpedo] or [missile] attacks, you may treat all uncanceled [hit] and [crit] results as two [hit] and [crit] results instead."

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gate posted:

Some sort of modification that added rerolls or agility against someone who is attacking you from outside arc would be cool.

I really like this, or at least something like that. I don't like using my YT because it feels boring to not worry about where the front arc is pointing except for movement purposes.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I like flying the both the YT's around--keeping ships where I want them range-wise and dodging asteroids is fun and also pretty important when every shot counts. I also really like having Engine Upgrade on 'em.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I didn't intend it to lead to a whine, I really was just trying to comment on how nice Chardaan Refit is.

Also Barrel Roll is nice and all but boost is good too and my regular opponent has no issues keeping things within the firing arcs of her A-Wings.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Apparently it's just a bad idea to use Determination to fill in that one last point in introductory games. "So I would have been better off it that was just a regular hit? That's bad game design." I eventually lost pretty soundly, though, so the game left a pretty positive impression in the end.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 7, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Chill la Chill posted:

Do people really spend that much on Falcons competitively?? I've had a ton of success with my 45 point Chewie with Predator. If I had C3P0 I might bump it up to 48, but 60+ is way too much.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

smashthedean posted:

Do people really spend that much on Falcons competitively?? I've had a ton of success with my 45 point Chewie with Predator. If I had C3P0 I might bump it up to 48, but 60+ is way too much.
Engine upgrade is super awesome for falcons too. There's a lot of diversity in falcon builds, han+3po+gunner+engine+VI+title is 60 points. It depends on how fat you want to go.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My current favored Falcon build is Han + Predator + C3PO + Engine Upgrade + Millennium Falcon which comes out to 57 points. Leaves enough left over for a couple other ships.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I run a 55 point Falcon and a 45 point Corran. I want to try one of the bandit swarm + 55 falcon list but I can't bring myself to not play Corran.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I ran a Falcon/Corran at ATL regionals. It's a bit dangerous and unforgiving of mistakes but when it works it's fun as hell.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't think a falcon build without a gunner is all that great since you're looking for the almost-guaranteed hits because that's all you have going for you on the falcon. Of course, if it's a support falcon in a 2-ship list or using stronger ships than 3xZ-95, feel free not to include it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Dropping gunner changed my personal mathematics on when or when not to Han Solo an attack roll but I haven't noticed it's missing, especially with Predator to just reroll that one die. A non-Han Solo falcon though really does need it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I can probably drop it now that the must-kill predator is on the decline. I think the nova area has been ready and prepared for the next step in the meta change which is large ships. I still do well with the 64-point han + 3 z-95s against double/triple large ship + phantom or baron fel builds but I've had trouble against the 3-4 phantom lists due to higher PS. I might move to my friend paul's list and start using tala + biggs. With a Luke-gunner drop you can probably fit a chardaan refit a-wing in there.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Started playing the Tantive IV campaign tonight. If I understood the rules for using it correctly, it can never shoot directly behind itself, even with the turret primary, because that'd cross the blue line on the base? How was it firing at the Star Destroyer in the opening scene of A New Hope, then?!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ville Valo posted:

Started playing the Tantive IV campaign tonight. If I understood the rules for using it correctly, it can never shoot directly behind itself, even with the turret primary, because that'd cross the blue line on the base? How was it firing at the Star Destroyer in the opening scene of A New Hope, then?!

The Tantive capture was an inside job! :tinfoil:

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 7, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

jivjov posted:

The Tantive capture was an inside job! :tinfoil:
obligatory posting of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dvv-Yib1Xg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

How have I never seen this before? Thanks!

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I don't know, I feel like with focus plus Predator, I'm pretty solid on getting all or nearly all hits most of the time, even against PS3+, it's pretty great. I think the biggest mistake people can make in list building is spending too much on upgrades over more ships so sure a 60 point Falcon might be great, but having 15 more points for another Z or Chardaan A or upgrades for other ships just seems smarter to me.

That said, I am having good luck with a Whisper + Oicunn two-man squad so who knows.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is wonderful

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

smashthedean posted:

I don't know, I feel like with focus plus Predator, I'm pretty solid on getting all or nearly all hits most of the time, even against PS3+, it's pretty great. I think the biggest mistake people can make in list building is spending too much on upgrades over more ships so sure a 60 point Falcon might be great, but having 15 more points for another Z or Chardaan A or upgrades for other ships just seems smarter to me.

That said, I am having good luck with a Whisper + Oicunn two-man squad so who knows.

I haven't run a Falcon, but I think the idea is that all hits still isn't enough. You might end up just stripping the opposing evade or focus. Then you need gunner + predator and grab three more hits.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

It's another LucasArts artifact.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lunatic Pathos posted:

I haven't run a Falcon, but I think the idea is that all hits still isn't enough. You might end up just stripping the opposing evade or focus. Then you need gunner + predator and grab three more hits.

Right. Whisper and baron Fel usually have a protective focus and evade that must be stripped first. However, if the larger meta switches to big ships with 2 evade at most, I think it'll be safe to drop gunner from Han.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. Whisper and baron Fel usually have a protective focus and evade that must be stripped first. However, if the larger meta switches to big ships with 2 evade at most, I think it'll be safe to drop gunner from Han.

I guess it always depends on the rest of the list too. My Chewie list is:

[45] Chewbacca + Predator
[43] Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + R2-D2
[12] Bandit Squadron Pilot

PS10 Advanced Sensor Corran is pretty good at nailing down Phantoms and the combo of his shot before the cloak, Chewie's shot, and potentially a followup shot in the end phase is often enough to take care of business. Fel is a lot of the same and even more fragile to boot. The thing with those elite Imperial lists is that they often aren't fielding a lot of ships these days either so if you have multiple ships that can focus fire a Phantom, especially if some of them shoot before the cloak, they are manageable.

A list I'm looking forward to trying out once Rebel Aces hits is:

[45] Chewbacca + Predator
[30] Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System + E2 Mod + Gunner
[25] Roark Garnet + Ion Cannon Turret + Nien Nunb

The idea would be that enemies would have either a PS12 Gunner FCS B-Wing or a Focused Predator Falcon shooting at them before a cloak every turn in addition to potentially having the Ion Turret messing them up further. I haven't had a chance to try this one out yet, but it seems pretty sound in my head.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Can someone help me figure out a Dash Rendar list?

I'm looking at the following:

[50] Dash Rendar + Lone Wolf + Outrider/HLC (I want to add Leebo for better positioning but the 2 points seems better spent elsewhere)

From there I feel like the goal here should be to put together a ship-dense squad that can split my enemy's focus and pose enough of a threat that the enemy has a Sophie's choice of focusing the YT-2400 or the other squad.

I'm considering:

[20] Lt. Blount with Ion Missiles
[15] Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit
[15] Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit

But I'd like some better suggestions. I have a hard-on for A-Wings and have all the new poo poo available. I don't have a Falcon though - can't find them anywhere (haven't been to a B&N yet :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How prevalent are Phantoms in your meta? That would almost be a non starter here for me with the National Champ playing exclusively Whisper + VI at my store.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Pretty much everyone owns a phantom here, but for the time being at least there is only a single one on the table at any given time. There's pretty much always a shuttle hanging around, and then some mix of phantoms and defenders, or other large ships.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I have two Phantoms.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

How prevalent are Phantoms in your meta? That would almost be a non starter here for me with the National Champ playing exclusively Whisper + VI at my store.

I'm hoping Paul wins world champ again so we can once again lord it over everyone else. :smug:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sigma-X posted:

Pretty much everyone owns a phantom here, but for the time being at least there is only a single one on the table at any given time. There's pretty much always a shuttle hanging around, and then some mix of phantoms and defenders, or other large ships.

Ya all the need is Whisper + VI to pick you apart. Without a Falcon you don't have a ton of options, though

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Managed to grab 2nd place in a tourney today with Han / Biggs / Proto-A-wing. Wave IV builds only. Went 3-1 and got second on margin of victory.

I went with Han, Falcon Title, VI, Gunner, Chewie. Biggs w/ R4-P9(? The one that drops from 3+ hits to 2), and a naked prototype.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

alg posted:

Ya all the need is Whisper + VI to pick you apart. Without a Falcon you don't have a ton of options, though

What is the Falcon offering to fight Whisper that the Outrider doesn't have? It seems like an HLC turret plus the ability to barrel roll (or boost with Leebo) should allow me to maintain appropriate range against a Phantom, and it's my understanding that an HLC isn't affected by the bonus dice from cloak or range 3? I'm very new so I could be wrong about this.

Also, on the note of being new - I just went through and popped about $200 worth of XWing mini's tokens/pieces/etc that I had set aside due to playing mostly with an online squadron builder and my friend's tokens. I have 4 that I can't identify - small blue circles cut into 3 pieces on one side, with the other side either being space or some blue cargo container/spaceship thing? They're smaller than focus/evade tokens.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

What is the Falcon offering to fight Whisper that the Outrider doesn't have? It seems like an HLC turret plus the ability to barrel roll (or boost with Leebo) should allow me to maintain appropriate range against a Phantom, and it's my understanding that an HLC isn't affected by the bonus dice from cloak or range 3? I'm very new so I could be wrong about this.

Also, on the note of being new - I just went through and popped about $200 worth of XWing mini's tokens/pieces/etc that I had set aside due to playing mostly with an online squadron builder and my friend's tokens. I have 4 that I can't identify - small blue circles cut into 3 pieces on one side, with the other side either being space or some blue cargo container/spaceship thing? They're smaller than focus/evade tokens.

Basically just Veteran Instincts instead of Lone Wolf. But then you will have to bid for initiative

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

HLC negates range dice but not the cloak dice. Those tokens are for one of the scenario missions that came with a ship, but hell if I know which one.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Whisper moves after the YT-2400, so it can easily get inside the range 1 band and avoid getting shot at entirely. Depends on the asteroids and the rest of the list, obviously.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm going through an Interceptor-swarm phase again, and as a result I'm only going to run lists which consist exclusively on Interceptors. I'm revisting the feared :laffo: 4x Alpha Squadron Pilot + Thing style list, which is actually really easy to build because Thing has a budget of 28 points.

The Thing I've been musing is Tetran Cowall. This guy is probably regarded as one of the poorer Int pilots because his ability is pretty situational and violates a core tenant of flying Ints when he uses his ability, namely not being able to guarantee a focus for defense. Offensively, being able to execute a 3, 5 or :siren:1-speed:siren: K-turn is actually pretty big news, and I'm thinking about running him with Predator for rerolls when he K-turns. I could just slap PtL on him and call it a day, he'd get to PtL most turns and then have the ability to be mega slippery in a K-turn, although at the expense of not using his ability. In theory, his ability is actually pretty flexible.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I always feel like that if you are going for a swarm of inties, you might as well go 4xRGPs with PtL, since it gives you the maneuverability and staying power you need thanks to the double actions pretty much every single turn. Also PS6 is pretty great as well. I don't really know if an extra Intie is worth not having PtL on all of your dudes.

• Locked thread