Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I really wish this anime would stop trying to be serious.

The episode was OKAY at best...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
that was a fun episode, not as impactful and mind-blowing as last weeks, but fun and cool.

Also, it's great to know that the guys who made this episode are huge fans of John Denver, because it was clearly him that was the musician at the record store when they walked in, complete with his famous shirt, hair, and glasses.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I missed the show this week. Is there anywhere online that you can watch it?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

cmykjester posted:

I missed the show this week. Is there anywhere online that you can watch it?

Adult Swim and Hulu put them online after a while. There's also the regular shady anime streaming services. You know, the kind of place where you can watchcartoononline. But those are Borderline Filez, and you should really support this show because Japan certainly ain't.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I think the latest episode is on FUNimation's subscription service, it's another $8/month but I guess you could use the free trial?

I wish services like Netflix and Crunchyroll would just raise their prices already so they can afford more content. Or maybe the future lies in paying for a dozen streaming services at the same time?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In this case, Funimation likes to keep stuff they'll be releasing on their own site and Netflix always goes with complete seasons.

Though since Funimation puts a lot of their stuff up on Netflix, I bet that it won't take terribly long for it to end up there. Hell, Attack on Titan went up there before Funimation got a physical release out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

NOTinuyasha posted:

I think the latest episode is on FUNimation's subscription service, it's another $8/month but I guess you could use the free trial?

I wish services like Netflix and Crunchyroll would just raise their prices already so they can afford more content. Or maybe the future lies in paying for a dozen streaming services at the same time?

Crunchyroll already gets pretty much everything of note airing in a season that Funimation doesn't get, what more do you loving want from them?

Edit: And I sure do want Netflix to withhold more series for an entire season to release them all at once when it's over for some god forsaken reason because Netflix just can't put something up while it's airing.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 2, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Sorry if someone has already asked or stated this, may have missed it: has there been any word when we're going to see US DVD/BDs?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Goddammit, Dandy, you and your :catdrugs: episodes. I had a big goofy grin on my face during the last part of the episode.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Magnus Condomus posted:

Adult Swim and Hulu put them online after a while. There's also the regular shady anime streaming services. You know, the kind of place where you can watchcartoononline. But those are Borderline Filez, and you should really support this show because Japan certainly ain't.

If you want to support the show you could just mass-purchase their DVDs and merchandise. You can then pirate the series with a clear conscience.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I've lost count of how many times I've connected with a woman through our mutual love of Karate Kommandos.

This was a really cute episode, a charming little change of pace from the last couple.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good episode featuring feelings that are complicated.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
I really liked it! Considering how silly this show usually is, I'm surprised how the few that go for sweetness or poignancy really do feel sincere. Silly and sweet's a tough balancing act.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I loved the Thing head spider reference

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
And there's another Dandy's-romantic-life-related episode coming up. Possible last minute continuity?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I hate shipping in shows but this struck some kind of realistic note. Not sure why but it came off "real" without being too over the top aside from that stupid poo poo train moment....

aers
Feb 15, 2012

NOTinuyasha posted:

And there's another Dandy's-romantic-life-related episode coming up. Possible last minute continuity?

The staff have said next week's episode is very important to the overall plot, so...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Finally caught up with the latest two episodes. I’m amazed this show is going to have an actual plot now. It’s also interesting that we've barely seen the little pre-OP intro this cour, and quite a few episodes have ended with episode-centric end credits as well.

Zorak posted:

Sorry if someone has already asked or stated this, may have missed it: has there been any word when we're going to see US DVD/BDs?
None whatsoever. :(

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
Man this show is really good at staying fresh

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Seeing the giant mecha creeping out from behind things was some funny poo poo

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

that stupid poo poo train moment....

Was that a parody of 5cm/s specifically, or has the train trope been around longer than that?

edit: Just noticed the umbrella, and the transition to a starry snowing sky. Yeah it's specifically a Shinkai parody. Nicely done.

sincx fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

oilatsnep posted:

Seeing the giant mecha creeping out from behind things was some funny poo poo

Yeah, that was great poo poo. Even better that Dandy somehow didn't notice him all that time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was very disappointed when it was revealed her ex wasn't the giant robot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Isn't the giant robot in this episode the same one as in the intro?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Sindai posted:

I was very disappointed when it was revealed her ex wasn't the giant robot.

Yup, I was definitely expecting this or that the pilot was somehow incredibly wacky/weird choice of ex. Err, I mean, significant other

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Zorak posted:

I'm hoping they announce something at New York Comic-Con

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

mabels big day posted:

Isn't the giant robot in this episode the same one as in the intro?
Yes, I believe it is. Nicely spotted.

Incidentally, even during its brief glimpse in the opening, it strongly reminded me of a mobile suit from Gundam F91.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well that was odd

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
What the hell was going on in the credits?

aers posted:

The staff have said next week's episode is very important to the overall plot, so...

Where'd you get info like this? I need more.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm first to admit a dumbass but I have no ideas that went on.

I watched it but wtf went on?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I'm first to admit a dumbass but I have no ideas that went on.

I watched it but wtf went on?

It explains that in Space Dandy when they jump across the universe they don't actually; they find a version of themselves already in the proper position in some other equivalently similar universe and merge into it (exactly how Limbo ended, now that I think about it). Dandy, at least, seems special because he knows that's how it actually operates. Wild guess is that Dandy is Dandy because all Dandy's are co-merged constantly. I base this off absolutely nothing other than the framing of the show and that when he was on the dead planet there were infinite Dandy's on the boat instead of one.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Barudak posted:

It explains that in Space Dandy when they jump across the universe they don't actually; they find a version of themselves already in the proper position in some other equivalently similar universe and merge into it (exactly how Limbo ended, now that I think about it). Dandy, at least, seems special because he knows that's how it actually operates. Wild guess is that Dandy is Dandy because all Dandy's are co-merged constantly. I base this off absolutely nothing other than the framing of the show and that when he was on the dead planet there were infinite Dandy's on the boat instead of one.

That's definitely an interesting way to approach "warp" technology. It seems, based on Meow being sick, that it's possible for people to notice something upon repeated warps too. That said, Catherine pretty directly stated that Dandy isn't special when it comes to warping, beyond having figured it out. I suspect he might have figured it out while he was dead, actually, since the solution there was pretty much literally the same thing as warping.

That said, I do still believe there's something special about Dandy. It's probably tied both to warping and the cosmic string. My wild, batshit insane guess is that Space is Dandy. All universes, all cosmic threads, ultimately connect back to (a) Dandy and all Dandy's connect back to each other as we saw in the first episode of this season.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

NOTinuyasha posted:

Where'd you get info like this? I need more.

Twitters, interviews, staff events. The info's all in Japanese so its kind of hard to find.

The biggest Dandy related thing animation staff have been talking about the past few months is that the finale apparently has everyone working on it.

aers fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 14, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
The only thing I might have noticed is that they implied that Dandy may be older than he looks.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Silentman0 posted:

The only thing I might have noticed is that they implied that Dandy may be older than he looks.

Yeah, it kind of seemed like QT was suggesting that when talking about how old Paul had to be if he was an old friend of Dandy's. I could see him being in his late thirties, even.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, it kind of seemed like QT was suggesting that when talking about how old Paul had to be if he was an old friend of Dandy's. I could see him being in his late thirties, even.

Daaaaamn, by anime standards Dandy is a senile old man.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Space Dandy: A Romance of Many Dimensions

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Great Rumbler posted:

Space Dandy: A Romance of Many Dimensions
I was a little disappointed that the prince wasn't a circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Which makes the Glee episode that much creepier.

• Locked thread