Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Chaos Terminators can be some of the most insane units in the game now since Chaos has access to Sanctic, They can have a 4++ save, Bounce around the field w/ GOI, use dimensional key to unlock the never scatter etc.. etc..

They don't get enough love. There's nothing like charging someone with 8 man unit thats ST8 , INI 5 has a 2+ 4+ w/ a couple ST10 attacks thrown in for good measure and feel no pain.

Seriously, Chaos Sorcerers w/ Sanctic are loving awesome w/ Terminators. It's not even really expensive for a unit It's like 400 points for a unit that has Mark of Slaanesh combi meltas / plasmas, and Feel No Pain.

Oh I forgot to add give your Sorcerers Mark of Slaanesh and so you can cast Vortex and feel no pain away hopefully the Perils test if you do get perils.
Dimensional Key is awful, even if you combo it. In fact, I would argue it is even worse if you combo it. Since if you are bouncing around, unless your opponent is really generous and assaults you, you are not popping it till turn 3 at the earliest. You can get a 4++ save with the Mark of Tzeentch, without having to fish on Santic for it. I do suppose that means you can combo it with the Mark of Slaanesh, but that's a great deal of effort for marginal payoff. Santic also causes you to bleed out your ears with distressing regularity, which is a serious issue when you have two wounds.

400 points is also really expensive for a unit - I don't know what you are talking about. Even with all that kit, you could bring several other combinations or units which are cheaper, more reliable, and just as effective.

It's really not that great a combo, man.

edit - I totaled it up. It's 464 points for 7 Terminators with Combi-Weapons and Slaanesh Icon/Mark, and a Sorcerer with max Mastery Levels, Terminator Armor, and Sorcerer Familiar. No extra weapons on anyone. 464 points before Power Fists, an extra Combi-Weapon on the Sorcerer, or whatever.

How do you even get those S10 attacks? this is just awful

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Why give a Sorcerer MoS? An unmarked Sorc will still be able to join a squad with the MoS and you don't have to piss away a power on a worthless Slannesh one.

I take it sometimes to give it feel no pain.

Von Humboldt posted:

Dimensional Key is awful, even if you combo it. In fact, I would argue it is even worse if you combo it. Since if you are bouncing around, unless your opponent is really generous and assaults you, you are not popping it till turn 3 at the earliest. You can get a 4++ save with the Mark of Tzeentch, without having to fish on Santic for it. I do suppose that means you can combo it with the Mark of Slaanesh, but that's a great deal of effort for marginal payoff. Santic also causes you to bleed out your ears with distressing regularity, which is a serious issue when you have two wounds.

400 points is also really expensive for a unit - I don't know what you are talking about. Even with all that kit, you could bring several other combinations or units which are cheaper, more reliable, and just as effective.

It's really not that great a combo, man.

edit - I totaled it up. It's 464 points for 7 Terminators with Combi-Weapons and Slaanesh Icon/Mark, and a Sorcerer with max Mastery Levels, Terminator Armor, and Sorcerer Familiar. No extra weapons on anyone. 464 points before Power Fists, an extra Combi-Weapon on the Sorcerer, or whatever.

How do you even get those S10 attacks? this is just awful

The three spells that give you either GOI, Sanctuary, or Hammerhand are all level 1 Warp Charge w/ a spell familiar rolling 1 dices and rerolling it's a 75% chance to succeed w/ 2 dice it's greater than a 90% and around a I think a 0% /16% perils , would have to go back and look at my calculations I did. Your odds of getting 1 particular spell w/ 3 rolls is like 66% counting the fact you have to reroll that's w/ the calculation of odds to roll the same power twice after the first. 1-3 get's you one of those spells. All of them are pretty great.

Buff Sorcerers are kind of awesome. You should use them. Chainfist w/ Hammerhand gives you ST10. Powermauls w/ Hammer Hand give you ST 8. Dimensional Key is pretty keen if you gear around it. It's not a terrible item but it's the only way to not scatter its a take it or leave kind of thing for me personally it's not like a insta win button and I never said it was. It is however awesome if your going for Obliterators and a Sorcerer to bounce them around with.

It usually runs a even 500 for the squad and the Sorcerer for me.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 7, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hollismason posted:

I take it sometimes to give it feel no pain.

MoS only gives +1 Initiative and -1 useful spell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

MoS only gives +1 Initiative and -1 useful spell.

Icons give that ability to all models in a unit w/ that mark. If you have Mark of Slaanesh and join a unit that is Mark of Slaanesh with a Icon of Excess, you get feel no pain.

He get's it for being in a squad w/ a Icon of Excess. It's a trade off, I rarely take a marked Sorcerer. I don't think it's to terrible of a trade off either as it gives him more survivability. It's a trade off sure, but honestly the Chaos Focus for Slaanesh is actually good. It's Blind, Concussive, and Pinning. A thing to remember about Blind is it doesn't require you to wound. So it's not actually terrible.

The more models you take the greater the benefit of the Icon of Excess as PPM drops.

Chaos Sorcerers unmarked or marked are really phenomenal support and buff units now.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 7, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The three spells that give you either GOI, Sanctuary, or Hammerhand are all level 1 Warp Charge w/ a spell familiar rolling 1 dices and rerolling it's a 75% chance to succeed w/ 2 dice it's greater than a 90% and around a I think a 0% /16% perils , would have to go back and look at my calculations I did. Your odds of getting 1 particular spell w/ 3 rolls is like 66% counting the fact you have to reroll that's w/ the calculation of odds to roll the same power twice after the first. 1-3 get's you one of those spells. All of them are pretty great.

Buff Sorcerers are kind of awesome. You should use them. Chainfist w/ Hammerhand gives you ST10. Powermauls w/ Hammer Hand give you ST 8. Dimensional Key is pretty keen if you gear around it. It's not a terrible item but it's the only way to not scatter its a take it or leave kind of thing for me personally it's not like a insta win button and I never said it was. It is however awesome if your going for Obliterators and a Sorcerer to bounce them around with.

It usually runs a even 500 for the squad and the Sorcerer for me.
Gate of Infinity does nothing besides getting you a prime shot from your Combi-Weapons. You can do this already through the Deep Strike ability built into Terminator Armor. Now, you can do this turn 1 with Gate of Infinity, but you're paying 500 points for that and you get shot if you don't have top of turn 1. After you shoot your Combi-Weapons, I guess it's useful to chase people fleeing you? It's really not that great to go bounding after people, risking mishaps and death, to keep chewing them with a bunch of bolter shots.

Sanctuary is the Mark of Tzeentch, except you need to cast it and it can therefore get denied. It's nice, but for the cost of a Sorcerer fishing for it, you could get three more Terminators with Combi-Weapons. That's just better all around. And Hammerhand? Hammerhand requires you to be beating face. It's strong, but people can literally turn around and walk away from your rear end, and it will be overkill on the vast majority of units you face.

You're popping a chub over an over-costed, less than effective, deathstar. For like 530 points, I can get 3 small units of Terminators with Combi-Weapons and a single Powerfist, and a Heldrake. That's more Meltas than your unit brings, and it's capable of popping multiple units, Deep Striking more effectively via smaller foot print, and controlling more of the field. Oh, and there's also a Heldrake.

Sorcerers are great, but this is not the way to use them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

gently caress, he's right. I got owned by Hollimason. Impossible.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I was here on the day it happened. I will never forget it.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The merciful thing to do would be to seek death. I'm sure you can already feel it, flowing through your veins - impossible to resist.

You want to talk about Daemons, all the time.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Almost finished up my two stormtalons today. Few highlights on the metal parts and a bit of a pin wash and ill consider them done until i can be bothered basing them. With the Stormraven they look like a force to be reckoned with.

Whats the generally accepted way to run these guys? As a stormwing formation? Ive used the Stormraven solo in my last couple games and i felt like i was keeping too much of my force in reserve. It was loaded with Termies, Lysander and a Ven Dredd and it seemed like without them i didnt have much on the table. If I had a couple of bad reserve rolls Im worried it could leave me with an empty table. If i wasnt going to use the Stormravens transport capacity is it worth the points?

I would imagine ill run the Talons with Skyhammers (Ive built them with typhoons because i think they look cooler)Should be adequate for swatting my mates doomscythe.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

These look great. Fantastic job!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Speckled Jim posted:

Almost finished up my two stormtalons today. Few highlights on the metal parts and a bit of a pin wash and ill consider them done until i can be bothered basing them. With the Stormraven they look like a force to be reckoned with.

Whats the generally accepted way to run these guys? As a stormwing formation? Ive used the Stormraven solo in my last couple games and i felt like i was keeping too much of my force in reserve. It was loaded with Termies, Lysander and a Ven Dredd and it seemed like without them i didnt have much on the table. If I had a couple of bad reserve rolls Im worried it could leave me with an empty table. If i wasnt going to use the Stormravens transport capacity is it worth the points?

I would imagine ill run the Talons with Skyhammers (Ive built them with typhoons because i think they look cooler)Should be adequate for swatting my mates doomscythe.

The ketchup and mustard air corps is looking solid! Skyhammers are definitely the preferred weapons on a Stormtalon. I think Stormravens are really good, but it's easy to overload them with units and put a lot of eggs in one flying basket. I don't think I'd put anything in them, or if I did, I'd stick with one cheaper unit instead of maxing out with Vanguard Vets, an HQ, and a Dreadnought or something.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speckled Jim posted:

these look great but you should paint the frames around the storm talons' cockpit windows. the bare clear plastic distracts a bit from an otherwise excellent paintjob.

In game turns, it depends on the points level you are playing. Taking all 3 flyers and keeping a good chunk of your army embarked is keeping a lot in reserve, even on a good day those embarked units won't get into position till the third turn which can be devastating if the rest of your army has to fight the enemy alone.

I'd run the formation in a large game or apocalypse but, personally, I'd only run either a pair of stormtalons or a stormraven in a standard sized game.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Cataphract posted:

these look great but you should paint the frames around the storm talons' cockpit windows. the bare clear plastic distracts a bit from an otherwise excellent paintjob.

In game turns, it depends on the points level you are playing. Taking all 3 flyers and keeping a good chunk of your army embarked is keeping a lot in reserve, even on a good day those embarked units won't get into position till the third turn which can be devastating if the rest of your army has to fight the enemy alone.

I'd run the formation in a large game or apocalypse but, personally, I'd only run either a pair of stormtalons or a stormraven in a standard sized game.

Yeah the canopys are just sitting there at the moment. Anyone had any experience masking and airbrushing something like that? Aso how does it handle being varnished? Ive been leaving the clear parts off my models until absolutely last moment incase the varnish turns them cloudy or something undesireable.

We normally play around 1500 points, so yeah prolly best to go with one or the other for the time being. Been keeping the talons hush hush so i might have to send the lot out at once in the next game, just for the look on my opponents face. We havnt been playing for very long and fliers are still very intimidating amongst my group

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Speckled Jim posted:

These look awesome. I concur with other posters that the sky hammer missiles are where it's at.

My stormtalon is usually a real performer, I just run one and it is a dedicated transport Hunter. Bs5 on ground targets is just too good, and often I can boost it over the board in two turns and then hover out of anti tank range.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

Terminators are a weird case with Chaos. The setup you have on them is actually very good - you can drop the lot, hopefully kill something with the combis, and then force your opponent to either pop the Terminators or see them start rampaging in the back. That being said, you don't generally want more than three in a unit, as Terminators can still scatter (out of range or off the board,) die to AP2 easily, and are pretty expensive. Basically, try dropping in just 3, accept that they will die, and hope for the best. Worst case, you're out 100 points and your opponent burnt a turn of shooting or assault - best case, you murder something important from out the blue.

Oblits are excellent, and you should bring them out if you can. Very versatile, and capable of handling any threat. Raptors are alright, depending on their special weapons - Jump Infantry in general is too costly, and the Raptors are no exception. Still, you can use them as a cheap counter-assault unit or try sticking to cover before flinging them at some tank. Rhinos are alright. Sometimes they give up First Blood, kill two or three models, and pin your squad. Sometimes they keep you safe from small arms and get you to a vital position quickly. Generally, the protection and mobility is worth it, but that's your call. Generally, bring extra tanks to help soak AT so the Rhino can live.

Marks and Icons are really there for fluff in my experience. Take the Fearless Icon (Vengeance) unless you have a theme or God you are following. Vengeance at least turns your troops in Space Marines with Fearless instead of ATSKNF. Nurgle is the best Mark, in general, since it makes your Marines harder to kill via small arms. It's very expensive, though, and the Nurgle Icon is hot garbage, since so many things ignore Fear. Slaanesh is alright versus some armies, but it requires you to face troops where the extra boost of speed matters and for you to be in CC. The Icon, while expensive, is potent - FNP adds a lot of survivability to the squad. Tzeentch is not so great - it's only useful versus AP3 and better, normally you have a better cover save, and the points you spend to save a Marine from getting popped will typically... buy another Marine! The Icon is awful - Soul Blaze is unreliable and the extra wound once in a great while does not make up the cost of the Icon. Last, we have Khorne. The Mark of Khorne is cool - Rage and Counterattack make you beastly in the first round of CC. The Icon is really needed to go with the Mark, in my eyes - Furious Charge is strong, but the ability to reroll a die when charging can make a huge difference. However, you need to be in CC for this to work, so most of the game you're paying a bunch of points for something that may work if you get to grips - not so hot.

Helbrutes are actually pretty cheap, but Walkers in general are sort of weak this edition. They're not optimal - even at a low base cost, they're hard pressed to make back their points. Normally, just taking an Oblit with the extra points is a better call, but Helbrutes can still be made to work. There is a formation that lets you run two units of Cultists with a single Helbrute. The Helbrute gets a 3+ Cover from the Cultists, and grants Fearless to the mooks in return. Might be worth a spin down the line.

tl;dr -
Oblits are worth bringing.
Raptors and Termis aren't that great, but can be used effectively in a niche way.
Rhinos are cool, but be careful with them.
Icons and Marks are pretty overpriced and not so useful. But they're fluffy!
Helbrutes are wonky, but have some cool options.

holy poo poo that's a lot of (bad) words on Chaos basics

That's a lot of very helpful words, thanks. I will admit that I thought I was facing someone who uses space mariens and tends to have 2 or 3 thanks in his army and my tactic with the terminators was to deep strike them next to his whirlwind and destroy it quickly. I need to research units a lot more, I am playing Emperor's Children and think the noise marines seem like a good idea and that warp talons could be useful. Thanks for the info about Hellbrutes I like walkers but if I can get something better for the points I would use on them I've no problem leaving them at home. This was the first game where I had no advice on what unit does what and I was playing on my own so it was the first game with just me, I ended up losing 5-7 and managed to wipe a lot of the nids off the board before the end.

Hollismason posted:

Chaos Terminators can be some of the most insane units in the game now since Chaos has access to Sanctic, They can have a 4++ save, Bounce around the field w/ GOI, use dimensional key to unlock the never scatter etc.. etc..

They don't get enough love. There's nothing like charging someone with 8 man unit thats ST8 , INI 5 has a 2+ 4+ w/ a couple ST10 attacks thrown in for good measure and feel no pain.

Seriously, Chaos Sorcerers w/ Sanctic are loving awesome w/ Terminators. It's not even really expensive for a unit It's like 400 points for a unit that has Mark of Slaanesh combi meltas / plasmas, and Feel No Pain.

Oh I forgot to add give your Sorcerers Mark of Slaanesh and so you can cast Vortex and feel no pain away hopefully the Perils test if you do get perils.

This does make me want to look at Sorcerers a lot more to see how they can help my units.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ultragonk posted:

That's a lot of very helpful words, thanks. I will admit that I thought I was facing someone who uses space mariens and tends to have 2 or 3 thanks in his army and my tactic with the terminators was to deep strike them next to his whirlwind and destroy it quickly. I need to research units a lot more, I am playing Emperor's Children and think the noise marines seem like a good idea and that warp talons could be useful. Thanks for the info about Hellbrutes I like walkers but if I can get something better for the points I would use on them I've no problem leaving them at home. This was the first game where I had no advice on what unit does what and I was playing on my own so it was the first game with just me, I ended up losing 5-7 and managed to wipe a lot of the nids off the board before the end.

This does make me want to look at Sorcerers a lot more to see how they can help my units.

warptalons are pretty bad. I'd avoid them if I were you. Noise Marines are great. make sure you check the FAQ cause they can now take the blastmaster in a unit of 5.

Also, whirlwinds aren't too much of a concern. It can put the hurt on cultists but it's not going to do too much to power armoured units.

the more you play the more you'll get a sense of your own units and the units of the different armies. Target priority is important especially against armies like nids and orks. You're not going to be able to shoot everything before assaults stat happening so you want to make sure you're shooting the right things.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Top tip about chaos Rhinos is that they can bring Havoc launchers.

Basically this makes your rhino into a cheap razorback knock off, but with none of the draw backs.

A good tactic is to sit 5 man squads of Emperors children in rhinos back in your lines and shoot things. The havoc lunchers are great against foot troops while the blastmasters shoot other tanks (or heavy troops).

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Progress is coming along nicely on the Hive Knight.

Reaper Chainsword? gently caress that, I have a Reaper Bonesword.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nice. Are their rules in a dataslate or supplement? I haven't really been paying attention to the last couple releases.

Ya, they just got a brand new supplement for those 4 models, and the Culexus Assassin is a baller. He wrecks psykers and is really hard to remove (with some reasonable offensive abilities too) for a tolerable cost.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah if you take that one unit and don't have anything else in the army to back it up then it's going to be poo poo just like anything else in the army. However if you back it up with Mayhem Packs and Outflanking Heralds of Slaanesh w/ Steeds and Seekers along w/ a Deep Striking Soul Grinder it turns into something else entirely.

I run themed armies mostly. Because you know that poo poo is fun.

Chaos Sorcerers in general can make certain units really a lot better with buffs now and Vortex is a very powerful spell. Odds are you won't kill yourself if you cast it once but if your casting it the whole game he's going to die probably.

Also, despite what everyone says we play GOI can pull you out of combat, because you know it can. There's even rules for what happens when that occurs now. Just people forget about it and say you can't do it.

GOI Sorcerer w/ Obliterators is a better bounce around unit though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 7, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Master Twig posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this conversion, but I'm really curious to see where it goes!

So I've got a question for you goons. I'm coming up on a tournament in November, and I'm sure there's going to be some aircraft there. However, I'm running my retro Ultramarines, and they obviously didn't have flyers back then. So I'm thinking about adding a Hunter/Stalker to my army. My wonder is this: Would people buy that if I just used an old whirlwind? For the uninitiated, it looks like this:

Alternately, I could convert something that is a little less conventional. There was an old Whirlwind conversion in Rogue Trader that I could draw from instead:

I actually got an Epicast version of that turret but some rear end in a top hat stole it off my doorstep :argh:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd be surprised if anyone would care. What tournament? Send an email to the TO.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SRM posted:

I actually got an Epicast version of that turret but some rear end in a top hat stole it off my doorstep :argh:

Build it yourself. It's just a half a large square base, a bit of plasticard and some leftover Rhino bits :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SRM posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this conversion, but I'm really curious to see where it goes!

So I've got a question for you goons. I'm coming up on a tournament in November, and I'm sure there's going to be some aircraft there. However, I'm running my retro Ultramarines, and they obviously didn't have flyers back then. So I'm thinking about adding a Hunter/Stalker to my army. My wonder is this: Would people buy that if I just used an old whirlwind? For the uninitiated, it looks like this:

Alternately, I could convert something that is a little less conventional. There was an old Whirlwind conversion in Rogue Trader that I could draw from instead:

I'm pretty sure that's a lego piece in the last photo so it shouldn't be to hard to make a conversion and quickly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a lego piece in the last photo so it shouldn't be to hard to make a conversion and quickly.

At first I was a bit sceptic about that but it does look like whoever made it used a 2x4 piece and drilled holes through the studs at a closer inspection. Kinda clever actually.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hollismason posted:

I was sure it was the underside of an old square base. It was always one of my favorite white dwarf conversions.

SRM, you gotta do the deodorant stick speeder someday.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone would care. What tournament? Send an email to the TO.
It's a little local one in Maine.

HardCoil posted:

Build it yourself. It's just a half a large square base, a bit of plasticard and some leftover Rhino bits :)
Yeah, I just dug up the conversion guide from WD117:

Fix posted:

I was sure it was the underside of an old square base. It was always one of my favorite white dwarf conversions.

SRM, you gotta do the deodorant stick speeder someday.
Maybe some time after I paint up my Rogue Trader IG as Genestealer cult or something. One crazy idea at a time!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why not bring a Hyperios?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Master Twig posted:

I think this concept is fun, and you should really go all-out on it. In for a penny, in for a pound, and whatnot.

So I'm curious, what's the fluff for this? Is it a knight that got corrupted and mutated into a tyranid, or was it looted by a genestealer cult somehow?

If it's the former, I think you should really go all-out covering bits of it in chitin, maybe make that entire shoulderpad into a chitin with green stuff or styrene somehow. lots of little scything talons poking out the holes, maybe transform the feet into big talons. I'd look at the forgefiend and maulerfiend for inspiration. Those little vines/tentacles on the bonesword are a good start but I feel like you're going to need a LOT of them for it to all look integrated. If there's some way you could cast/replicate those carnifex smokestacks that would be awesome.

If it's the latter, I want to see it covered and based with sketchy cultists and rippers, and for the stuff like boneswords to have an orky, bolted-in sort of look with rivets and ichor. Actually pretty much no matter what I feel like there should be generous helpings of ichor.

What's your tyranid paint scheme?

edit: checked your posts, looks like he's a cult knight. You should make this thing totally bonkers and paint it with all sorts of ridiculous iconography and scrabbling madness.
[but more chitin probably wouldn't hurt]

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 7, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I have an list

code:
+++ New Roster (1500pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Space Marines: Codex (2013) v60 Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Space Marines: Codex (2013) v60 (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ (No Category) + (195pts)

* Chapter Tactics
        Imperial Fists

* Honour Guard Squad (195pts) 
        (Chapter Tactics)
        Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Frag and Krak Grenades, 4x Honour Guard (100pts), Power Weapon, Relic Blade (10pts)
        * Chapter Champion (50pts) 
            Boltgun, Thunder hammer (15pts)
        * Drop Pod (35pts) 
            Storm Bolter

+ HQ + (185pts)

* Pedro Kantor, Chapter Master (185pts) 
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Chapter Tactics (Imperial Fists), Hold The Line, Independent Character, Oath of Rynn, Orbital Bombardment, Warlord Trait: Iron Resolve)
        Dorn's Arrow, Frag and Krak Grenades, Iron Halo, Power Armour, Power Fist

+ Elites + (510pts)

* Sternguard Veteran Squad (205pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Squads)
        2x Meltagun (20pts), 4x Veteran (88pts)
        * Drop Pod (35pts) 
            Storm Bolter
        * Space Marine Sergeant (62pts) 
            3x Combi-Melta (30pts)

* Sternguard Veteran Squad (305pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Squads)
        2x Grav-gun (30pts) (Graviton), Rhino (35pts) (Repair, Tank), 9x Veteran (198pts)
        * Space Marine Sergeant (42pts) 
            Combi-Grav (10pts)

+ Troops + (120pts)

* Scout Squad (60pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Squads, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Scout)
        4x Scouts (44pts), 4x Sniper Rifle (4pts)
        * Scout Sergeant (12pts) 
            Sniper Rifle (1pts)

* Scout Squad (60pts) 
        (And They Shall Know no Fear, Chapter Tactics, Combat Squads, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Scout)
        4x Scouts (44pts), 4x Sniper Rifle (4pts)
        * Scout Sergeant (12pts) 
            Sniper Rifle (1pts)

+ Fast Attack + (145pts)

* Stormtalon Gunship (145pts) 
        (Aerial Assault, Escort Craft, Hover Strike, Supersonic)
        Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Typhoon Missle Launcher (35pts)

+ Heavy Support + (345pts)

* Centurion Devastator Squad (280pts) 
        (Chapter Tactics, Decimator Protocols, Move Through Cover, Slow and Purposeful, Very Bulky)
        2x Centurion (120pts), Centurion Sergeant (70pts), 3x Chest Missile Launcher (30pts), 3x Grav-cannon and grav-amp (60pts)

* Whirlwind (65pts) 

Created with BattleScribe

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I need help getting back into the hobby. A friend wants to start playing again so I dug up my old Ultramarines to see what I had to work with. I have 25 tac marines with only flamers and launchers for weapon options, I have the old 5 metal veteran set, 2 dreads with CCW/Launcher/Lascannon/Autocannon for options. I have a Razorback and a Captain. I know I also have that dark angels chaplain guy with a powersword that I'd used as a chaplain before but he wasn't in the box so he might as well be on the moon.

I have no idea what the above amounts to today. I have no idea how big an average game is now, back when I played 40k the typical game was 1,5k in points. I grabbed the new codex and it's just so full of retarded poo poo it makes my head spin, but whatever. I need an idea of where to go from here. The list has to end up tournament legal, but other than that meta won't matter much. I'll primarily be playing against suit-heavy Tau.

I heard bikes are good now, I always wanted some bikes. Tell me about bikes. Don't tell me about airplanes or centurions because gently caress that poo poo and everything about it.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

That's where I've seen that 30k imperial guard armour before: the old Lord Solar Macharius mini.

Holy poo poo. What if he was really wearing antique armour from the olde days..

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Speckled Jim posted:

Yeah the canopys are just sitting there at the moment. Anyone had any experience masking and airbrushing something like that? Aso how does it handle being varnished? Ive been leaving the clear parts off my models until absolutely last moment incase the varnish turns them cloudy or something undesireable.

I'd recommend not varnishing the canopy glass. I used normal masking tape and brushes for the stormtalon canopy, but it was a huge pain in the rear end and I'm probably going to just wing it for the next one and clean up any mistakes with an exacto knife.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ignite Memories posted:

I think this concept is fun, and you should really go all-out on it. In for a penny, in for a pound, and whatnot.

So I'm curious, what's the fluff for this? Is it a knight that got corrupted and mutated into a tyranid, or was it looted by a genestealer cult somehow?

If it's the former, I think you should really go all-out covering bits of it in chitin, maybe make that entire shoulderpad into a chitin with green stuff or styrene somehow. lots of little scything talons poking out the holes, maybe transform the feet into big talons. I'd look at the forgefiend and maulerfiend for inspiration. Those little vines/tentacles on the bonesword are a good start but I feel like you're going to need a LOT of them for it to all look integrated. If there's some way you could cast/replicate those carnifex smokestacks that would be awesome.

If it's the latter, I want to see it covered and based with sketchy cultists and rippers, and for the stuff like boneswords to have an orky, bolted-in sort of look with rivets and ichor. Actually pretty much no matter what I feel like there should be generous helpings of ichor.

What's your tyranid paint scheme?

edit: checked your posts, looks like he's a cult knight. You should make this thing totally bonkers and paint it with all sorts of ridiculous iconography and scrabbling madness.
[but more chitin probably wouldn't hurt]

My nid scheme is bone flesh with emerald carapice. The fluff behind the hive knight is that the knight was looted from a battle, and fused with a dead carnifex. Through some twisted fusing from their psyker, the knight and fex were given life. But it's a bit unstable, hence the one eye open rule.

I plan to cover it with lots of icons and such. It's mostly assembled, but I figure I have at least 20 hours of work left on this. I want to make it The best model I've ever done.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

drgnvale posted:

I'd recommend not varnishing the canopy glass. I used normal masking tape and brushes for the stormtalon canopy, but it was a huge pain in the rear end and I'm probably going to just wing it for the next one and clean up any mistakes with an exacto knife.

I just brushed it on for my dakka jet.

I'd avoid varnish on the clear plastic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Diomedes kissed his sweaty buttocks and decided, in for a penny, in for a pound, before licking the puckered rear end. With the strong taste of his juice on his lips and is his mouth he bearly tasted the sweat as he rimmed him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's just like creepy dude.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

That's just like creepy dude.

Terrible hobby, terrible people etc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So witty and individualistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hra Mormo posted:

I heard bikes are good now, I always wanted some bikes. Tell me about bikes. Don't tell me about airplanes or centurions because gently caress that poo poo and everything about it.

Bikes are awesome fun; very mobile, good weapon options and they aren't absurdly expensive for how useful they are (like Terminators tend to be). I've been using that rear end in a top hat chapter master on a bike for the last couple of months, and he's like the force commander from the dawn of war games. I'm in the process of converting up a librarian and command squad on bikes to run around with him. I'm told other chapters make better use of bikes, but even with the ultramarines chapter tactics not being that useful, I've still found bike troops to be a good way to spend points. The models are very expensive for what you get in the box, so ebay is probably a good choice here.

• Locked thread