Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

This is the only appropriate way to recommend that film. It popped up as Recommended and I went in pretty much blind. The first 15 minutes, my word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Detention was everything I had hoped it would be.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Detention's great, everyone watch it.

If the opening scene doesn't sell you, well...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only movie I could even think of comparing Detention to is Wild Zero in terms of sheer insanity.

If you don't like it, you gotta at least respect how loving hard the director went for it. Totally loving mental.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

precision posted:

The only movie I could even think of comparing Detention to is Wild Zero in terms of sheer insanity.

If you don't like it, you gotta at least respect how loving hard the director went for it. Totally loving mental.

Yeah, I just finished watching it. Was fun, definitely wouldn't have worked if the director had tried holding back, and that nothing in the movie was a throw away gag.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I can't decide if Detention was brilliant or incredibly stupid, which makes it well worth watching. It reminded me a lot of Southland Tales in that way.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Malaleb posted:

I can't decide if Detention was brilliant or incredibly stupid, which makes it well worth watching. It reminded me a lot of Southland Tales in that way.

SOUTHLAND TALES is brilliant in every regard, a satire of satire that has fun with itself, and especially audience expectations, with some of best performances of many of its cast in ages, or ever.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
drat, thanks to everyone recommending Detention. Not 100% sure what I think of it yet (I think I liked it a lot) but I'm definitely glad I watched it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I can't figure out if I love or hate Detention. I'm like 15min in.

Edit: This is insane. I love it.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 7, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just finished Detention myself. I really enjoyed it and made me reminisce about my high school years. I miss the 90s, kinda.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The thing I kept thinking as I watched Detention was "oh, so this is what it would be like if those parody movie pastiches were actually good". It's like Scream taken to the most batshit extreme possible, and also directed by a ferret on LSD.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think I liked Detention a lot? I'm not entirely sure.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

precision posted:

The thing I kept thinking as I watched Detention was "oh, so this is what it would be like if those parody movie pastiches were actually good".

This, for sure.

I feel like going forward this movie will be impenetrable to anyone born after a certain time. The density of references to or jokes revolving around tech/music/people etc. is ridiculous and I wonder if it would hold up to someone who didn't understand most of them. Maybe there's enough to enjoy otherwise? Weird to think about films that can realistically only be fully appreciated within a certain time bubble.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe in 20 years Detention will look as bizarre as Cool As Ice looks to me. I'm pretty sure there was plenty of non-referential humor though, a lot of the humor is based on horror tropes, at least as much as the 90s/2000s stuff ("hipster 'gently caress me pout' selfie", haha). Some of it is like, I don't even know what, like the Canadian guy. He was just funny for no particular reason to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I know is that Criticker says I'll like it and all the critics seem to hate it, so it's been bumped to the top of my Netflix To-Watch List.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kelfeftaf posted:

The last half hour of The Baby dragged, and the ending was kind of dumb, even for that sort of movie. Pretty entertaining otherwise though.

Did we watch a different movie? Nothing exciting at all happened until the last 30 minutes.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

precision posted:

The thing I kept thinking as I watched Detention was "oh, so this is what it would be like if those parody movie pastiches were actually good". It's like Scream taken to the most batshit extreme possible, and also directed by a ferret on LSD.

Just watched it. I don't know that I've ever seen a mainstream(ish) movie that was so far off the rails. I particularly liked how all the bizarre plot elements all eventually connected. Planet Spacebear made me laugh out loud just at the sheer what the gently caress of it all.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's an interview with the director of Detention where he says something like, he figures it'll be relevant for 5 years, pointless after that, until maybe 15 years later where it'll be Retro.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
There's art, culture, science, all sorts of human achievement in this world. Then there's Poultrygeist.

:v:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

You should all enjoy the Uwe Boll collection. As he moves away from focusing on video game based movies the quality of his film making increases drastically.

In The Name of The King 1 2 and 3 The first is terriblish, but I swear the second and third are pretty good ok not the worst thing he's ever done.
Assault on Wall Street Watch the dude from ITNOTK3 shoot up rich bankers for an hour!
Zombie Massacre It's a zombie movie with special ops guys in the Ukraine. It's not like there's a high bar for zombie movies, so if you like them, watch this.
Suddenly Uhhh the president's life is in danger. Is Ray Liotta a bad enough dude to save the president from the guy who shot people in Assault on Wall Street?
Blackwoods I've never seen this and since it's one of his earlier movies I bet it's loving awful.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 7, 2014

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

HOLY poo poo!!!

The greatest movie ever - and I'm telling you it's great - has finally arrived!

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is officially on Netflix Streaming! For the uninitiated, if there are any of you out there, the plot of the movie is thus: Two idiot surfer/stoner high school kids love metal and are in their own lovely garage band, but unbeknownst to them, hundreds of years in the future their music is somehow incredibly important to to the fabric of all life. The band is about to be separated by dark outside forces, so the folks from the future decide to send George Carlin in a time-traveling phone booth back in time to help them out. If he should fail to keep these two on the correct path, the basis of their society will be in danger. Don't worry, it'll all make sense - I'm a professional.

So anyway, this is pretty much the most awesome news ever, as this was one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid for some reason. Well, I think the reasons were preternaturally good taste and a crush on Keanu Reeves, but whatever. I had watched this movie (and Bogus Journey, an amazing film in its own right) about a couple hundred times apiece by the time I was 12 years old, and it was still at least 10 years until I would learn what 'Doctor Who' was, hilariously enough. This movie really has nothing in common with Doctor Who other than a time-traveling booth that happens to have a telephone in or on it, though.

I think this movie is really fantastic, regardless. I may be overly influenced by the nostalgia factor and the fact that I could probably recite every line in the film along with the characters by heart despite not having seen it in years, but I still think it's a fun movie. It's just full of really weird, random subversive humor here and there, as well as strange people showing up in various roles (like Jane Weidlin as Joan of Arc, or George Carlin's role). Keanu Reeves was also absurdly adorably youthful when this came out, and his perpetual blankness probably works better here than in The Matrix, even. Excellent music throughout, as well.

I really hope this post inspires people to watch the movie rather than, uh, not watch the movie. I'd be very curious as to what a first-time viewer thinks, because I watched both movies so many times as a kid that I just have no objective sense of whether it's good or bad. It simply IS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bill's mom is a righteous babe. ~guitar~

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
bill and ted loving own

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I just finished watching Detention. I really don't know what to say. Thank you, Something Awful Netflix Streaming thread. Thank you.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The most ironic thing about Detention is that the quietest, slowest performance in the film comes from Dane Cook.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Detention kicked rear end, and the best thing is my 20th year high school reunion is next week, so this was a good 90's nostalgia primer for me. I'm going to have to watch it again though, because I'm sure I missed some of the references.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Detention was so loving obnoxious and poo poo that I only could watch like 20 minutes of that garbage. Does it somehow get better after that?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Oh my god, it's by the director of Torque. Suddenly it all makes sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wait you guys didn't say it was from the same director as Torque!

edit: motherfucker

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Pingiivi posted:

Detention was so loving obnoxious and poo poo that I only could watch like 20 minutes of that garbage. Does it somehow get better after that?

You pretty much got what the movie was about. If you don't like it now, you won't like it after the whole movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pingiivi posted:

It gets significantly weirder - significantly - but the frantic style doesn't change.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If you don't think Clapton Davis is the man, get the hell out of here.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was going over to my parents house later for dinner and they have Netflix. I'm thinking of blindwatching Detention. Good idea, bad idea?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was going over to my parents house later for dinner and they have Netflix. I'm thinking of blindwatching Detention. Good idea, bad idea?

Best idea.

Also, I'm now kind of sad that Khan didn't stay on as director of Neuromancer, because can you just loving imagine that poo poo?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Detention sure is a thing, yep. :stare:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Detention sure is a thing, yep. :stare:

What in the actual gently caress is happening in this movie?

I also loved Torque enough to watch the commentary track, and this is an insane movie.

e: Hulk Hogan claimed that he and Vince McMahon wrote No Holds Barred in one cocaine fueled weekend. I now believe it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 7, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I watched Detention, but I can't in good conscience call it a good movie. It feels like the director had ideas to make like 30 different movies and knowing this might be his one shot to make what he wanted. he just made all of those movies at the same time by haphazardly cramming every idea he'd every had loosely into a script. Some times it's very clever and some times it's really bad and sometimes it's both.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think the best part of Detention is the way people react to having seen Detention.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I'm getting about the current High School generation from Detention is that they don't even have a culture of their own, they're cribbing everything from every previous decade.

I... don't know what to make of the movie itself though.

edit: I get it, I get it now! This movie rules. That one guy gave up just before it got good... or before it wore down his will and broke him.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I had never heard of Detention before skimming this page of this thread 1 hour, 29 minutes ago.

...now I have a new favorite movie :v:

• Locked thread