Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
When will the gaming community denounce #gamergate participants

#NotAllGamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

This guy is broke as gently caress too

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This guy is broke as gently caress too

Reminds me of this from Twitter: https://twitter.com/a_girl_irl/status/393793832065986560

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I found this on Youtube and couldn't not post it:

Internet War Reporting

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I felt really conflicted about Anita Sarkeesian for awhile because I have seen her material and am familiar with her work. There are plenty of reasons to disagree with her or think she is wrong. However, I won't voice my opinion on the matter because I am horrified of appearing on the side of all those man-children that foam at the mouth when you mention her name.

To sum it all up: everyone is hosed in the head. Can we please get back to posting screen shots of our racist families?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Video games.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Moon Man posted:

I felt really conflicted about Anita Sarkeesian for awhile because I have seen her material and am familiar with her work. There are plenty of reasons to disagree with her or think she is wrong. However, I won't voice my opinion on the matter because I am horrified of appearing on the side of all those man-children that foam at the mouth when you mention her name.

You know I hear this a lot but I have never ever once heard an actual well-thought-out disagreement that doesn't wildly miss the point, ever. Not once.

Please. Enlighten me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My metaphor for Anita S is:

She's a cloud that showed up, and said, "I'm going to block out the sun and make some shade." And then, without necessarily meaning to, she rained all over the farms in California and ended the drought.

Even if I'm not pleased with the way she blocked out the sun, she's done such a wonderful service to us all, that it doesn't even matter any more. And that service is, a perpetual loop of gamers frothing at the mouth. God bless you, Sarkeesian.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plom Bar posted:

You know I hear this a lot but I have never ever once heard an actual well-thought-out disagreement that doesn't wildly miss the point, ever. Not once.

Please. Enlighten me.

I've admittedly never watched her vids, but one of the criticisms I've heard of her around here is that she only scratches the surface of feminist issues, which... Eh, I can understand, given that she's trying to reach a wide audience outside of the manbabies that she doesn't want to leave overwhelmed.

Of course, as pointed out, a lot of those sorts of legit critiques get drowned out by... I'm not sure if "poisoning the well" could really quite portray just how badly the misogynysts have poo poo up almost any conversation of her works.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All of you chucklefucks care way too much about video games. Go the gently caress outside.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

But if i don't complain enough then Anita is going to make so i have to play girly games from now on :(

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

my minecraft wife

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I don't get the joke, but I'm okay with it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tin Hat posted:

I don't get the joke, but I'm okay with it.

She MineCucked him.

looming resonance
Sep 7, 2010
We should all be thankful for gamergate, as it's a goldmine of gamers acting like children and we should welcome it both here, and in the Schadenfreude thread.

Found 'em through the tag, they're all public so sod blanking out their names.

Though my personal favourite so far has been the reaction to Atlus tweeting a link to a Kotaku article: https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/507978426347950081

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
jesus gently caress is this gamer poo poo over with already? i'm a mod, stop it k

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

BioEnchanted posted:

I found this on Youtube and couldn't not post it:

Internet War Reporting

The tumblr and 4chan war? Hahaha was this actually a thing?!

Did it start from an argument over which site's users had the stickiest keyboards?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Regalingualius posted:

I've admittedly never watched her vids,

Area Man Passionate Detractor Of What He Imagines Feminist Frequency To Be.

right-o.

vvvv So the argument isn't that she's wrong, but that she's not right enough. Surely you understand how insane that sounds.

Plom Bar has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Sep 7, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, he's still right though. Anita's stuff is feminism 101 with a list of stuff she reads off of TVTropes. Entry level poo poo that wouldn't have gone anywhere had people not furiously masturbated over how angry it made fedoras.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

poptart_fairy posted:

Eh, he's still right though. Anita's stuff is feminism 101 with a list of stuff she reads off of TVTropes. Entry level poo poo that wouldn't have gone anywhere had people not furiously masturbated over how angry it made fedoras.

Feminism 101 is still something like 60% of people have no concept of.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

poptart_fairy posted:

Eh, it looks like it's meant to be 101 stuff with the aim of introducing people to the subject. I don't really see anything wrong with that if that's what they were aiming for. I don't really head to YouTube for in depth analysis of anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Plom Bar posted:

vvvv So the argument isn't that she's wrong, but that she's not right enough. Surely you understand how insane that sounds.

No, it's that she isn't on the level that she gets depicted as. It's incredibly basic, incredibly simple stuff...that's only gotten her as much popularity as it has because a few people got mad over it. She basically points at stuff and calls it sexist (putting aside the arguments about her context and whatever).

It's just funny that you rarely, if ever, see the 'she introduces people to these concepts' being presented as her major thing. Instead she's elevated because there are a few nerds who get riled up by the videos. By that criteria half of youtube is worthy of praise.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

loving hell what does it matter if some lady makes some YouTube videos with her opinion? There are millions of YouTube videos of people sitting there talking about their opinion, which you are free to agree/disagree with or mock the poo poo out of. Why is Anita so important to all these loving manchildren who think she is coming like a feminist boogeyman to take away their toys, when she's just another person talking with zero power over a vast multi-billion dollar industry? :psyduck:

This whole thing just blows my mind on so many levels. The stupidity is everywhere, even here.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Shut up about video games.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

poptart_fairy posted:

No, it's that she isn't on the level that she gets depicted as. It's incredibly basic, incredibly simple stuff...that's only gotten her as much popularity as it has because a few people got mad over it. She basically points at stuff and calls it sexist (putting aside the arguments about her context and whatever).

It's just funny that you rarely, if ever, see the 'she introduces people to these concepts' being presented as her major thing. Instead she's elevated because there are a few nerds who get riled up by the videos. By that criteria half of youtube is worthy of praise.

Who gives a poo poo?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
loving goons shut the gently caress up about videogames

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is good gamers.txt!

Wait a second...

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Anita will move on from 101 level stuff when gamers pass the course. Right now, gamers are gettin an F-.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
kill all women

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Hot off the presses from Dick Dorkins:

i don't care if this isn't him or whatever just stop talking about games

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sunsweet posted:

Hot off the presses from Dick Dorkins:

i don't care if this isn't him or whatever just stop talking about games

Why post a fake one when the real Dick Dorkins is a perpetual source of stupidity?

Emotion has no place in logic beep boop

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
In my experience the rest of the field of life sciences winces a little bit whenever Richard Dawkins says or does anything. He's been sliding into irrelevance for years and by god he is not going gently into that good night.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr Snofeld posted:

In my experience the rest of the field of life sciences winces a little bit whenever Richard Dawkins says or does anything. He's been sliding into irrelevance for years and by god he is not going gently into that good night.

I remember being a lovely teenage atheist and finding him to be brilliant, god what an rear end in a top hat I was. The Selfish Gene was pretty interesting but he's really a shameful human being.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
My favorite recent Dick Dawkins moment:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A #GamerGate proponent trying to make a point with a loving CAD comic is probably the most perfect summation of that entire movement I've seen.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Shut the gently caress up about #gamergate christ

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Holy gently caress shut up I hate you gently caress

gently caress

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Is getting mad about posts about gamers getting mad a thing yet? I feel like it's something we could start posting here.

Anyway, all Dick Dorkins posts should be accompanied by this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It'd be helpful if any of you assholes could post about anything else. poo poo, this is a thread primarily about dumb facebook posts, no one is lacking in those.

This one is sort of cheating because I follow a page that mocks anti-vaxers. Still, it definitely belongs here.

I don't care enough to look up what a detox bath is but I have a suspicion it constitutes child abuse.

kazil posted:

Anyway, all Dick Dorkins posts should be accompanied by this:

An all-time classic.

• Locked thread