Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

I have a coworker whose niece from Qinghai was kidnapped and taken to work in Shanghai. It took months to sort out even after she managed to get word back to her family because the Shanghai police refused to help her and wouldn't get involved for some mysterious reason (business owner has guanxi or stacks of cash? probably? definitely?). So she was pretty much a slave for a bit but yeah, you can drink in public, so... sure. Manchild Freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But let's be honest here people, the united states did something sometime in its history that was probably equally bad or worse, so that makes it all okay.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

To be clear, I'm talking about urban China. Rural China is a different country.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't understand how seeing people get on the bus without paying and the driver not being able to do anything about it represents a positive facet for that society or for anybody's freedom.

I personally wouldn't trade a loving transport system for the right to vote. Are you loving crazy? I can buy my own personal transport system (a car) for $10,000. Can you buy the right to vote in a country that doesn't allow it?

Is owning a car really such a 'burden' that you would give up your right to vote so you wouldn't have to drive? Oh no I have to get into a box-like machine and depress a pedal by moving my foot a fraction of an inch. I'd give up the right to determine my own future and my children's future so I'll never have to set foot in one of those awful machines again.

Jesus Christ, I feel like I'm taking to an insane person. Or better yet a person with no sense of perspective.

It's not crazy. I've never voted but I require transportation every day. There's nobody on the ballot that represents my interests at all anyway, and I don't even know what local elections I'd vote in or why they'd matter to me since I've lived outside of the US for so long now.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"fart simpson" posted:

I don't even know what local elections I'd vote in or why they'd matter to me since I've lived outside of the US for so long now.

Please stay gone.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Don't worry, the United "Better than China" States of America isn't at the top of my list of countries to live in.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

fart simpson posted:

To be clear, I'm talking about urban China. Rural China is a different country.

It's not crazy. I've never voted but I require transportation every day. There's nobody on the ballot that represents my interests at all anyway, and I don't even know what local elections I'd vote in or why they'd matter to me since I've lived outside of the US for so long now.

Is driving really that awful. Be honest.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
For me, living without a car improves my life drastically. Even when I was living in the US, not having a car made my life significantly better. But obviously everyone's views will differ on this.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

goldboilermark posted:

For me, living without a car improves my life drastically. Even when I was living in the US, not having a car made my life significantly better. But obviously everyone's views will differ on this.

I dont understand what is so difficult about having a car. When I was living in the US in a big city with an extensive transport system which I utilized, I still kept a car because the benfits outweighed whatever inconvenience there was to owning a car.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

But don't you understand you're literally FORCED to go around in a giant planet-killing death machine!!!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea what's so difficult. You get in press the gas and you can go anywhere you want.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Vladimir Putin posted:

I dont understand, I was living in the US in a big city with an extensive transport system which I utilized

Have you lived somewhere that didn't have this? Most places in the US do not. Once you've lived in a city with no public transport you'll understand why NEEDING a car is really terrible.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

systran posted:

Have you lived somewhere that didn't have this? Most places in the US do not. Once you've lived in a city with no public transport you'll understand why NEEDING a car is really terrible.

I've lived in both. When I lived in an area (I wouldnt even call it a city) with no public transport I just drove everywhere. It was OK. I didnt cry myself to sleep every night. Even when I lived in a city with a decent oublic transport system I wanted to drive to work every day so I didnt have to sweat my balls off in 95F weather in the summer waiting for the bus. Or have to loving walk through one foot of snow 5-6 blocks to go to the train station or worse the bus stop where I have to freeze my balls off while in one foot of snow waiting for the bus.

When I lived in Asia in a city with decent transport it was the same thing. Sweat you balls off in a suit in 80% humidity walking to the subway or waiting at the bus stop. That or else take a taxi.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 7, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Some people really don't like driving. I choose to take the bus to work because it's less stressful for me to just wait for the bus than to drive. It also saves me a lot of money.

Can you stop putting words in people's mouths and making retarded arguments? No one is "crying themselves to sleep," no one is arguing that it's difficult to physically operate a car.

Driving is inherently stressful and having to drive a minimum of two times a day (usually in rush hour traffic if you work a normal shift) really does lower quality of life for a lot of people. I choose my apartment based on not having to drive to work, so it's a big deal to me and to many other people.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

systran posted:

Some people really don't like driving. I choose to take the bus to work because it's less stressful for me to just wait for the bus than to drive. It also saves me a lot of money.

Can you stop putting words in people's mouths and making retarded arguments? No one is "crying themselves to sleep," no one is arguing that it's difficult to physically operate a car.

Driving is inherently stressful and having to drive a minimum of two times a day (usually in rush hour traffic if you work a normal shift) really does lower quality of life for a lot of people. I choose my apartment based on not having to drive to work, so it's a big deal to me and to many other people.

Welp I guess thats the difference. Driving is not a stressful experience for me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

fart simpson posted:

Don't worry, the United "Better than China" States of America isn't at the top of my list of countries to live in.

For the sake of comedy, just what are your top five?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vladimir Putin posted:

I have no idea what's so difficult. You get in press the gas and you can go anywhere you want.

It isn't difficult. It is rather easy to operate a car, I agree with you.

I said

goldboilermark posted:

which means that I do not own a car, and that improves my life. I am not arguing that it is difficult to operate a car, and I want to make that crystal clear to you, because it seems you did not follow that with posts like this

Vladimir Putin posted:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Welp I guess thats the difference. Driving is not a stressful experience for me.

Why would it be? You have a motorcade and a driver.

Okay being not-ironically-honest, the United States political system really doesn't reflect the needs and desires of the electorate. Why that's the case is a long-rear end screed about an outdated electoral system, campaign finance, and the habits of the political elite, but it does tend to make American unexamined trumpeting about FREEDOM ring hollow.

It's still better than China but modern American democracy is p. fuckin bad y'all.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 7, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would it be? You have a motorcade and a driver.

Okay being not-ironically-honest, the United States political system really doesn't reflect the needs and desires of the electorate. Why that's the case is a long-rear end screed about an outdated electoral system, campaign finance, and the habits of the political elite, but it does tend to make American unexamined trumpeting about FREEDOM ring hollow.

It's still better than China but modern American democracy is p. fuckin bad y'all.

"Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." -Winston Churchill.

"gently caress brown people imma get that oil" -G.W. Bush

Yeah, it's not great.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 7, 2014

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 11, 2019

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chickenwalker posted:

Can someone go dig up Teddy Roosevelt? Then we'll be A-okay.

we should reanimate FDR, Willy Brandt, and Clement Attlee and put them in charge of the one world government in perpetuity.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Tell your Chinese friends that driving a car is a stupid waste of time. Also I don't even watch Television so add that on there as well.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

systran posted:

A few years in China really sold me on public transit, especially in cities, though the great interurban rail network there was also just that: great.

Also driving a car in a city is basically the worst thing ever. Not once did I miss my car while in China and I don't particularly like having one in the U.S. city I live in now. In rural areas though like where I grew up it's not just a necessity but an entirely different experience -- not anything like the rage-inducing hassle it is when you're crammed into stop-and-go traffic for hours just trying to get to work and get home from work.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Now that this has gone straight down the tube (another public service not available in American cities) to Senseless Slapfight Station, I should mention that I had an outpatient visit at a hospital recently with bloodwork and x-rays that ended up being about $40. Just today I bought 300 days worth of medication for $18. Until the generics become legal to sell in the US that medication will cost $900 for the same time period.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

China Megathread - Tu Quoque Appreciation Station

Alternatively: China Megathread - А у вас негров линчуют

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

Now that this has gone straight down the tube (another public service not available in American cities) to Senseless Slapfight Station, I should mention that I had an outpatient visit at a hospital recently with bloodwork and x-rays that ended up being about $40. Just today I bought 300 days worth of medication for $18. Until the generics become legal to sell in the US that medication will cost $900 for the same time period.

Though again to be fair a lot of Chinese people will just go "medicine? that's dangerous, give me some herbs and I'll be fine".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Saddest version of that that I know of personally is a middle-aged woman. "I'm allergic to western medicine, it works but I always have side effects"

Her liver now scarred/lumpy (can't quite remember) and its function is now really poor and she's aged like 20 years in the last 2

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

simplefish posted:

Saddest version of that that I know of personally is a middle-aged woman. "I'm allergic to western medicine, it works but I always have side effects"

Her liver now scarred/lumpy (can't quite remember) and its function is now really poor and she's aged like 20 years in the last 2

My girlfriend recently went back to visit her family at their home and a recent conversation went like this:

:j: : So I've been feeling really sick recently

:v: : Go see a doctor.

:j: : I did, he gave me some herbs.

:v: : Uh, you should go get some real medicine.

:j: : No, this is fine.

:v: : Promise you'll go get real medicine if it doesn't work.

:j: :Okay, but it can take up to 2 months to work.

:v: : :doh:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh boy those wacky ching chongs and their herbs why can't they take real medicine for real people!!!!!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Peven Stan posted:

Oh boy those wacky ching chongs and their herbs why can't they take real medicine for real people!!!!!

Yep

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Peven Stan posted:

Yeah what intolerant racists we are for being frustrated with a culture that kills its people with stupidity! Why spend millions developing drugs when the easily led masses can be made to buy literally useless snake oil instead for the same price? Hey, captive audience, and it's not like it's gonna hurt us any if we lose a couple.

computer parts posted:

My girlfriend recently went back to visit her family at their home and a recent conversation went like this:

:j: : So I've been feeling really sick recently

:v: : Go see a doctor.

:j: : I did, he gave me some herbs.

:v: : Uh, you should go get some real medicine.

:j: : No, this is fine.

:v: : Promise you'll go get real medicine if it doesn't work.

:j: :Okay, but it can take up to 2 months to work.

:v: : :doh:
Yeah it's always after they visit the parents isn't it? My girlfriend once came back home with vials of horse sweat for her sore throat and insisted they'd work because her mom gave them to her and she's really smart don't you know she's a elementary school teacher! I'm convinced every home is equipped with some brainwashing ray. One weekend can undo months of hard work and progress.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah what intolerant racists we are for being frustrated with a culture that kills its people with stupidity! Why spend millions developing drugs when the easily led masses can be made to buy literally useless snake oil instead for the same price? Hey, captive audience, and it's not like it's gonna hurt us any if we lose a couple.

Yeah it's always after they visit the parents isn't it? My girlfriend once came back home with vials of horse sweat for her sore throat and insisted they'd work because her mom gave them to her and she's really smart don't you know she's a elementary school teacher! I'm convinced every home is equipped with some brainwashing ray. One weekend can undo months of hard work and progress.

I wonder how expensive horse sweat is.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Peven Stan posted:

See, I don't even get what you're trying to do here. This is a small enough thread that the only people who are gonna read your misrepresentation of what people just said is... the people who just said it! Who are you trying to fool here?

e: maybe you aren't trying to fool anyone, you're just trying to gratuitously insult people? but who's gonna be insulted by your straw-post argument?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I'm just gonna leave this here... http://thinkafricapress.com/uganda/get-rich-or-die-trying-chinese-herbal-medicine-death-sentence-uganda

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, TCM is a large problem in East Africa and one of thr contributing factors to several species' rapid paths to extinction.

Its hard to educate against as its a simple cause->treatment->cure logical association rather than any scientific understanding.

In short, keep your TCM in China and quit killing lions for their balls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
While we are at the topic of health care here, how are mental health problems seen/treated in China?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chickenwalker posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Yes, there are stupid people everywhere. It's a constant struggle.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Except airborne lost a massive class action lawsuit as well as the right to claim that their product could prevent the spread of Flu and Colds

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Scammy alternative medicine is hardly a uniquely chinese phenomenon, the rush to condemn chinese culture as 'killing its own people with stupidity' is hilarious. Keep in mind china could afford NO medicine at all besides tcm until very recently, so condemning 'Chinese culture' for failing to transform the chinese into rational scientific übermensch in like 30 years when even the west has not stamped out the same nonsense is just utterly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The collusion between TCM companies and the government far outdoes what exists in the West, or ever has. During the periods of medicine shows or whatever in the U.S., you didn't have Andrew Jackson directing local schools to insert stuff into textbooks claiming that Native Americans have 5,000 years of using snake oil and promoting the development of these companies as a way to boost American exports.