Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The answer is to make a faceless figure, then go through a convoluted plot of creating two seemingly unrelated third party companies who each create one half of the decepticon mask that you can get separately and combine into the figure's face.

Sadly we'll probably see a half-assed TFCC Tarn remold first, using some completely ill-fitting mold. Who knows though, Hasbro's been showing IDW a lot of love lately so you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's five DJD members and combiner wars is coming up, if the Wreckers can get an innapropriate combiner maybe that's what will happen with the DJD.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Sadly we'll probably see a half-assed TFCC Tarn remold first, using some completely ill-fitting mold. Who knows though, Hasbro's been showing IDW a lot of love lately so you never know.
Probably using the, what is the worst they could do ... I got it, Onslaught Brawl mold with WFC Megatron's gun stapled on top. With a little music box made out of squishy plastic sold separately at the show.

I actually think the DJD probably suffers from the issue that they're new characters whose characterization is basically that bro team video where he screams I LOVE MURDER. Their bios would have to look like SCP wiki entries or just be completely nonsense. "Tarn enjoys music." "Vos has a smile he just loves to share" or "Kaon isn't great at parties, sometimes you'll just sit on him by mistake!" While I do really want a Tarn, most of the DJD designs aren't Milne's best work as he is, and to be honest I find the rest of them pretty dull.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Blackheart posted:

Speaking of 3p companies, anyone here been picking up some Warbotron bots? Any feedback?

I have Blast Off only. He's super-voyager sized and pretty light. Lots of good ideas, but the rivets on the wings on mine are a smidge loose. If I had to compare his joints to fansprojects concrete-tight articulation, I prefer warbotron's.

On a side note: I'm on a shoestring budget, what with all the 3rd party, MP and generations stuff onslaught, is Terminus Hexatron worth 140 barks
http://tfsource.com/mastermind-creations/hexatron-continuum/?pvar=2&utm_expid=10755138-1.B2ZxbBOZRvm2BVhYCLWjsA.1

They've released it a second time minus the comic that I don't care about and with chrome all over it. Should I do it.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 7, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
That UT Abominus looks pretty cool (and huge, judging by the comparison shot with Feral Rex's leg), but I think I'll hold out and see if MMC does one. As with UT's Predacons, it's just a tad too "G1 with better articulation," and I like it when the 3P stuff reimagines a bit more.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Speaking of which, Quantron sorely tempts me but if this was actually being made into a set:

As opposed to a limited run one-of I think it would over take me.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Yes Terminus is worth it. One of the best 3p's ever made tbh.

Also they've come up with v2 parts for WB Blast off, including ratcheting hips which I believe will be packed in with their Vortex figure.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ka0 posted:

I have Blast Off only. He's super-voyager sized and pretty light. Lots of good ideas, but the rivets on the wings on mine are a smidge loose. If I had to compare his joints to fansprojects concrete-tight articulation, I prefer warbotron's.

On a side note: I'm on a shoestring budget, what with all the 3rd party, MP and generations stuff onslaught, is Terminus Hexatron worth 140 barks
http://tfsource.com/mastermind-creations/hexatron-continuum/?pvar=2&utm_expid=10755138-1.B2ZxbBOZRvm2BVhYCLWjsA.1

They've released it a second time minus the comic that I don't care about and with chrome all over it. Should I do it.

Yes, get him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Orbital Comics in London has that DX9 Cy-Kill figure in, and I'm sorely tempted. I loved my large Cy-Kill super Gobot, and this is smiling at me. Hnngn.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The only issue with the rerelease of Hexatron is he doesn't come with the swords and sheathes, which are totally awesome.

However the new head and chest look REALLY good!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Spiderdrake posted:

Speaking of which, Quantron sorely tempts me but if this was actually being made into a set:

As opposed to a limited run one-of I think it would over take me.

Man what's the point of a one-off combiner member? :saddowns:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ask Ambulon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Which half of him?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Who is that supposed to be? Unggh dat headsculpt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So, wait, I just read through Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation/Maximum Dinobots and I thought Headmasters were some ancient thing from the early days of Cybertron. Did all this stuff get retconned into that in MTMTE/RID?

edit: the origin of Kup's cy-gar is pretty impressively dumb, I like it. I can see why there was a third-party sculpt for it that was actually in demand. Hell, kinda makes me wanna get it, if it wasn't expensive.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

So, wait, I just read through Infiltration/Escalation/Devastation/Maximum Dinobots and I thought Headmasters were some ancient thing from the early days of Cybertron. Did all this stuff get retconned into that in MTMTE/RID?

edit: the origin of Kup's cy-gar is pretty impressively dumb, I like it. I can see why there was a third-party sculpt for it that was actually in demand. Hell, kinda makes me wanna get it, if it wasn't expensive.

I'm not sure about the whole retcon thing, but I would think that they would be just two separate ideas. And since a Brainstorm toy is coming out who is an actual headmaster I would believe having it mentioned in the comic books is just regular marketing.

I believe that the whole idea about RID/MTMTE is to give newcomers a point to jump into without having to know too much. I was the same way, since I began first reading RID/MTMTE up to Dark Cybertron, and then read the older issues. So that means recycling older ideas and concepts as well, so Headmasters are reintroduced as a new concept instead of being eternally forgotten and never brought up again. I believe Dawn of the Autobots is also supposed to be a good intro for new readers.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes. Skorponok's recent creation of Headmasters on Earth and elsewhere was a plot from Furman's run (and also touched on in McCarthy's All Hail Megatron). But in the Heart of Darkness mini that set up the finale for Costa's The Transformers, they were mentioned as an ancient race that Galvatron had slaughtered millions of years ago. I haven't caught up past Dark Cybertron, but "fixing" the continuity problems that cropped up after Furman's run and before MTMTE/RID has been Barber's thing all along.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheDK posted:

It's Shattered Glass style Strafe in Sinnertwin's colours.

e: VVV sorry yeah, cutthroat not sinnertwin

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 7, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

TheDK posted:

Remold of Not-Strafe as Shattered Glass Not-Strafe done up in Cutthroat's colors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

Yes. Skorponok's recent creation of Headmasters on Earth and elsewhere was a plot from Furman's run (and also touched on in McCarthy's All Hail Megatron). But in the Heart of Darkness mini that set up the finale for Costa's The Transformers, they were mentioned as an ancient race that Galvatron had slaughtered millions of years ago. I haven't caught up past Dark Cybertron, but "fixing" the continuity problems that cropped up after Furman's run and before MTMTE/RID has been Barber's thing all along.

Huh, alright, that makes some sense.

What DOESN'T make sense is how things went from Maximum Dinobots to All Hail Megatron. Am I missing some bridge between the two? Bleh, it's hard to figure out the reading/continuity order of these things.

edit: WOW the art for the humans takes a nosedive in AHM 9, the faces are just completely wrecked

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 7, 2014

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I'm in the same boat...I've already got prob almost a thousand dollars worth of stuff at BBTS on preorder, but the new Hexatron looks so cool and $140 isn't that much right?

The latter half of that sentence explains the first half.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 7, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god

Oh my god the art in All Hail Megatron 9 is so bad

it's so bad, like worse than deviantart poo poo in some places, what the gently caress happened?

look at this poo poo!

edit: six! six lens flares! AH AH AH!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 7, 2014

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Captain Invictus posted:

What DOESN'T make sense is how things went from Maximum Dinobots to All Hail Megatron. Am I missing some bridge between the two? Bleh, it's hard to figure out the reading/continuity order of these things.

There is no bridge. Furman was given Revelation and Maximum Dinobots to finish up his story, then Shane McCarthy wrote All Hail Megatron as a soft reboot, then Mike Costa took over with The Transformers, and now James Roberts and John Barber are writing MTMTE/RID. This is the reading order I have come up with based mostly on publication date and keeping minis and sub-arcs together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, thanks for that list. How important are the spotlights and miniseries focusing on specific characters(bumblebee, et al)?

edit: man, Sunstreaker (All Hail Megatron) betraying the autobots and also dooming billions of lives because he was wronged by a few is pretty hosed. Especially because it was all Scorponok's machinations to begin with, not humans. Hell, didn't Scorponok have those...dummies, the fake humans, working for him to boot? Sunstreaker's vanity and pride seems to have really hosed him up when combined with the trauma, it kinda sucks that he did the standard "recognize my horrific decision and go out in a blaze of glory rather than face the music" finale rather than surviving.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 7, 2014

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Since we're showing lists this is my chronological list of comics. I found it somewhere but only up until Death of Optimus Prime, so I worked on the MTMTE/RID order. I don't have Punishment on the list since RID hasn't gotten to that point.

The Bumblebee four-parter might be skipped, but it shows a bit of the human-bot relations. Most other miniseries don't happen on Earth. If you want to know more you can check out http://tfwiki.net for specific miniseries.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, thanks for that list. How important are the spotlights and miniseries focusing on specific characters(bumblebee, et al)?

Almost everything Furman wrote himself ties into his overall story, but a lot of it was discarded in AHM/"The Transformers" only to be picked up again in LSotW/MTMTE/RID. The AHM era Spotlights are not particularly relevant to AHM except as backstory/character studies. LSotW owns and must be read before MTMTE. The Bumblebee mini has no impact on "The Transformers" but Ironhide does. Drift is barely in "The Transformers" but is a major character in MTMTE. Infestation and Heart of Darkness lead into the "The Transformers" finale but can be skipped. Autocracy and Monstrosity are set at the beginning of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict. I haven't read them yet. The MTMTE/RID Spotlights are set at various points throughout the continuity and are an exercise in retconning while setting up the Dark Cybertron arc.

The answer to "should I read this mini?" is the same as "do I like this writer/artist?" as I'm convinced that Roberts and Barber intend to tie every drat thing together just because they can.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: man, Sunstreaker (All Hail Megatron) betraying the autobots and also dooming billions of lives because he was wronged by a few is pretty hosed. Especially because it was all Scorponok's machinations to begin with, not humans. Hell, didn't Scorponok have those...dummies, the fake humans, working for him to boot? Sunstreaker's vanity and pride seems to have really hosed him up when combined with the trauma, it kinda sucks that he did the standard "recognize my horrific decision and go out in a blaze of glory rather than face the music" finale rather than surviving.

It's funny because Furman had a happy ending planned for Hunter and Sunstreaker.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

Almost everything Furman wrote himself ties into his overall story, but a lot of it was discarded in AHM/"The Transformers" only to be picked up again in LSotW/MTMTE/RID. The AHM era Spotlights are not particularly relevant to AHM except as backstory/character studies. LSotW owns and must be read before MTMTE. The Bumblebee mini has no impact on "The Transformers" but Ironhide does. Drift is barely in "The Transformers" but is a major character in MTMTE. Infestation and Heart of Darkness lead into the "The Transformers" finale but can be skipped. Autocracy and Monstrosity are set at the beginning of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict. I haven't read them yet. The MTMTE/RID Spotlights are set at various points throughout the continuity and are an exercise in retconning while setting up the Dark Cybertron arc.

The answer to "should I read this mini?" is the same as "do I like this writer/artist?" as I'm convinced that Roberts and Barber intend to tie every drat thing together just because they can.

It's funny because Furman had a happy ending planned for Hunter and Sunstreaker.

Ah, the first thing I actually read was LSOTW, then all of MTMTE and RID. I've read various Spotlights whenever they came with a figure(I assume most/all of them did), most of the ones that were bundled with stuff that went on sale big time on Amazon such as Orion Pax, Trailcutter, Stealth Jet Megatron, etc. I've probably put over 150 bucks down on various IDW Transformers comics at this point, whether it be individual ones on Comixology or via the Humble Bundle that came with a shitload of various IDW Transformer comics. And the only physical ones are the Spotlights from the figures, heh.

That Sunstreaker image is just amazing. The stunty, mid-transformation fat Hunter would make perfect avatar material, it's hilarious.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

I'm in the same boat...I've already got prob almost a thousand dollars worth of stuff at BBTS on preorder, but the new Hexatron looks so cool and $140 isn't that much right?

The latter half of that sentence explains the first half.

For a giant six-changer, that's a great price!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't worry, they aren't done with that.

If you enjoy bad art you have to find Heart of Darkness.

STUNG BY BEEEEEEES

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't see the problem, it's only the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Scourge.

edit: haha, that finale for Hunter, what an undignified way to go, jesus.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 7, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bunneh Prime

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If I may speak about good comics again: I reread Shadowplay today, and it is just chock full of great moments: The final reveal of Shockwave, Tailgate not knowing that Orion Pax is Optimus Prime, any time Swerve opens his mouth. One thing that was kinda unintentionally funny is that in the second issue, The Senator That Will Be Revealed As Having Been Shockwave is colored completely different than in the first issue, and then in the third one, Orion makes a crack at how often Shockwave changes his paint job. Good save, guys.

Also, a theory: While Rung is incapacitated, Rewind mentions that he's seen Rung a million times in his visual records, like the dude's everywhere. So I posit that there's a whole bunch of him that combine to form something actually useful. It would explain the name, too, that he's "one rung of a ladder" so to speak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there any character that is better than Swindle, before MTMTE/RID made a whole bunch of characters The Best Character?

I was actually expecting the series titled "The Transformers" to be about the autobot/decepticon war, but I'm finding this desperate struggle to stay hidden from humans with reverse-engineered Cybertronian tech interesting too. The movie-style faces, not so much, but whatever

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 7, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I was actually expecting the series titled "The Transformers" to be about the autobot/decepticon war, but I'm finding this desperate struggle to stay hidden from humans with reverse-engineered Cybertronian tech interesting too. The movie-style faces, not so much, but whatever
The first six of the ongoing are great, and Costa conceptualized the Thundercracker we all adore. Have you gotten to the reveal of what Swindle was up to?

I don't care for the faces but the movie style bodies are fantastic hybrids of the two styles. I love how Magnus looks. I also love that big splash page ends up looking too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderdrake posted:

The first six of the ongoing are great, and Costa conceptualized the Thundercracker we all adore. Have you gotten to the reveal of what Swindle was up to?
Bah, how boring. I was hoping Swindle was the colonel, or controlling him, but nah he's just makin' Menasor. Didn't he do that in G1 too?

edit: okay, maybe take that back. Swindle smirks the best, he business guns the best, he gloats like a little scummy shithead the best, and he death flags himself and gets crushed by a truck falling from a thousand feet in the air the best.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 8, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: okay, maybe take that back. Swindle smirks the best, he business guns the best, he gloats like a little scummy shithead the best, and he death flags himself and gets crushed by a truck falling from a thousand feet in the air the best.
Yeah I really really like that twist just because Thundercracker just goes "Yeah, that is a combiner, but Swindle is a loving idiot so just shoot it who cares" and then they drop a truck on Swindle to boot. Then he scampers off like something straight out of the 80s cartoon, Magnus all waving his arms around as that dastardly scamp just rides off into the sunset nursing his rear end. The whole thing builds to a very G1 climax to me, while still having some air of maturity to it.

Unfortunately I kinda feel like Costa had one good, in flavor G1 story in his head, then just wrote random nonsense between good splashy scenes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is pretty G1-esque, you're right.

Also, I hope there are photoshops of this Bumblebee with burgers. Bumbleburger. Burgerbee.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

It is pretty G1-esque, you're right.

Also, I hope there are photoshops of this Bumblebee with burgers. Bumbleburger. Burgerbee.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ahahaha excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I don't know why but Bumblebee's face reminds me of that Surprised Wolverine cover that I can't find. You know the one I'm talking about.