Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

I watch quick looks from time to time but prefer to get my gaming news from Forbes Magazine. :)

And thanks for the info! :)

This is me except I watch quick looks on YouTube and only go to their website when a google link sends me to their meticulously detailed games wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Three Moves Ahead: Mail Call - very much enjoyed Troy's quaking dressing down of horrifically bad movie "The Patriot." I never even saw it myself, and was a dumb-rear end teenager who adored Independence Day/ID4 and Air Force One, but could tell, just from the trailer, that it was a piece of garbage.

"I have hate-watched it couple of times." -- Troy Goodfellow

edit: However, I can see it getting a cult fan following in another decade or so. It might be so bad, that's it's good, and how it typifies late nineties/early oughts movies as loud, expensive things.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

edit: However, I can see it getting a cult fan following in another decade or so. It might be so bad, that's it's good, and how it typifies late nineties/early oughts movies as loud, expensive things.
Aside from the moments where dudes get tore up by cannonballs, no, that movie's just kind of crap.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Tempo 119 posted:

He moved back to New York and had another baby. He's setting up a second studio there, him and Alex Navarro have been doing quick looks and stuff out of the TV Guide office.
He's also, apparently, doing VO for TV Guide spots with the most bored voice imaginable.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Three Moves Ahead: Mail Call - very much enjoyed Troy's quaking dressing down of horrifically bad movie "The Patriot." I never even saw it myself, and was a dumb-rear end teenager who adored Independence Day/ID4 and Air Force One, but could tell, just from the trailer, that it was a piece of garbage.

"I have hate-watched it couple of times." -- Troy Goodfellow

My friend was a British soldier extra in the movie and you can see him on the porch when Mel Gibson is nursing the injured. He went to weeks of military training and got paid extra for a stunt (getting shot) but only appears in the film for around 3 seconds when the camera pans over him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Akuma posted:

He's also, apparently, doing VO for TV Guide spots with the most bored voice imaginable.
He is a video expert and personality, not a professional voice actor.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Wow, a mythical "only listens to the podcast never visits the web site" unicorn has stepped out of the forest.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Like, not in an I'm being a dick sense, but I honestly don't know. I only listen to the Bombcast. I never go to the site except in the rare instances where a Google search about a particular dev directs me to one of its wiki pages.

It doesn't seem like that would be a rarity. I don't really watch video content on the Internet, and I always figured that's a trait a lot of podcast listeners would share.

Sorry about the audio quality weirdness on the last VGHD. We recorded on different gear and I had to edit it on earbuds. I'll try to re-render it when things get back to normal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's tons of people who only listen to the podcast. It's just that nobody's ever seen them because they don't post on forums about it.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

zapjackson posted:

Sorry about the audio quality weirdness on the last VGHD. We recorded on different gear and I had to edit it on earbuds. I'll try to re-render it when things get back to normal.

Don't take it as harsh, I'm just used to stellar quality from VGHD and it slipped the tiniest bit. Still better than 90% of whats out there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, they say the Bombcast gets over a million downloads, but clearly they don't get that many video views on the regular. I can see not getting that into their quick looks nowadays since there are so many alternatives out there if you just want to see what a game looks like, but their premium content is straight up the most entertaining game-related internet video bullshit being produced today.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And sometimes their best content isn't even premium!

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
New BONFIRESIDE CHAT is up with EC, Jeremy Greer about Dranglec Castle. Waiting for ITunes to push it to their servers because it's on Soundcloud already.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zapjackson posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Like, not in an I'm being a dick sense, but I honestly don't know. I only listen to the Bombcast. I never go to the site except in the rare instances where a Google search about a particular dev directs me to one of its wiki pages.

It doesn't seem like that would be a rarity. I don't really watch video content on the Internet, and I always figured that's a trait a lot of podcast listeners would share.

I hate VGHD, I was squatting 195lbs when Zack started bullshitting about random poo poo and I almost lost my footing and dropped the bar.

I was definitely not trying to stifle my giggling fit or anything like that and if you suggest otherwise you are a loving monster.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

zapjackson posted:

I only listen to the bombcast as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You people are missing out then! Their video content is fantastic, you could just go for the Best Of Giant Bomb videos that xPantherx puts out if time is an issue, they're fantastic and bite-sized at around ten minutes each.

The series on Game Room, the failure of an attempt to revitalize classic games on the XBOX, is one of the best things to come from the site, period. As it progresses, Jeff goes from enthusiastic to utterly despondent and roped in Ryan for some of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZNELa52iU

The Sonic Adventure bit is probably in my top five favorite moments. It's so amazing.

edit: man, watching that game room grief video really makes me miss Ryan again. gently caress, he was so funny. :smith:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 7, 2014

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Jippa posted:

I only listen to the bombcast as well.

yeah i used to watch their videos a couple years ago but just trying to listen to their 5hr podcasts takes me most of the week nowadays and any news or impression for games i can skim my rss feed or look here

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Giant Bomb hasn't been about news for years man, I only go to it for the entertainment. If they're being super serious about a game it's really not fun to watch, honestly. When they're just picking random games from piles of stuff people send them and popping them in(like, oh, BIOFORGE) is when they're at their best.

Like, I'm not going to begrudge people for being podcast-only since some folks have crappy schedules or just not enough time in general, but their video content has resulted in the site straight up, well, blowing up in the last year. They've gotten way bigger lately and the quality of video content especially after hiring Dan Ryckert has spiked considerably.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I miss their random PC game feature. They accidentally beat Phantasmagoria in that feature.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

No joke, they've made some of the best video content in the site's history in the short period following Dan Ryckert's hiring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the Mario Party stream where Dan some-loving-how convinced them to play a FIFTY TURN GAME of Mario Party 1 and by turn 35 they were all begging for death while Dan was having the time of his life and soaking up their misery was some of the best content in the site's history, definitely. I seriously cannot wait for the rest of the streams, up until 9 or whatever when a different company picked it up and it went to poo poo. When they got to the infamous MP minigame that caused lots of friction burns on children's palms I nearly fainted from laughing so hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTm9IYWCKc8

But yeah, sorry, didn't mean to turn this into GB chat. If you want to find the good content they've made quick, the Best Of playlist I linked above or the list of best videos in the OP/second post of the GB thread is probably the best place to go.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Metal Gear Scanlon got me to buy a membership. It's been worth it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy listening to the bombcast but that's enough for me. I actually think they stretch even that to the limit for content. I used too occasionally watch quick looks and enjoyed some of them like the one where ryan kept failing that horse jumping wii game.

I dunno, I never really thought their video content was that good. It always seems so awkward like they don't know where too look. You never have that problem with audio stuff.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Internet posted:

New BONFIRESIDE CHAT is up with EC, Jeremy Greer about Dranglec Castle. Waiting for ITunes to push it to their servers because it's on Soundcloud already.

I had a great time doing this. I don't know how Gary and Kole keep up with their podcasting schedule, we recorded for 2.5 hours and I was pretty wiped out at the end, mentally.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

EC posted:

I had a great time doing this. I don't know how Gary and Kole keep up with their podcasting schedule, we recorded for 2.5 hours and I was pretty wiped out at the end, mentally.

Mountains of cocaine.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

EC posted:

Kole is secretly a set of identical octuplets and Gary has a horrifying machine that makes clones of himself that only live long enough to record a single hour of podcast.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

moller posted:

Mountains of cocaine.

They are both white middle-class males.
They do meth, DUH.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

ElMaligno posted:

They are both white middle-class males.
They do meth, DUH.

At least the Patreon money is going to good use.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Giant Bomb has been steadily improving since Rykert joined, the Mario Party stream, Metal Gear Scanlon, even recent Unprofessional Fridays have all been brilliant. It feels like the sight is trying to make a big push towards recruiting premium members at the moment and if you arn't signed up but love comedy video-game hijinx then it's well worth a look.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I doubt that's real, it doesn't have his title.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Since he hasn't been a journalist in a long time I'm guessing this is from the Pre-Lord days.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Today is the third anniversary of Watch Out for Fireballs *and* it's Gary's birthday. I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so supportive of the show (and the network).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

yeah exhibit A in the racketeering trial of idle thumbs is REAL funny

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Zombies' Downfall posted:

yeah exhibit A in the racketeering trial of idle thumbs is REAL funny

It's only a crime if he accepts bribes from a woman and even in that case only the woman should be in trouble.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Song For The Deaf posted:

Today is the third anniversary of Watch Out for Fireballs *and* it's Gary's birthday. I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so supportive of the show (and the network).

I've only recently started listening to your stuff, since tons of people were recommending Bonfireside Chat here on SA. I really enjoy your work, and you are all very nice people who seem to have an uncanny talent for picking out guests that complement your weaknesses. I've still got a massive backlog of WOFF and the other shows to listen to, but you've made me a regular listener!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Just went to the first post for the first time in ages, and was wondering if Cane and Rinse should be put on there. I always look forward to listening to that one.

Oh, and Kerbal podcast too.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

That business card is a joke from 10 years ago. We all had dumb ones which are now "really good" due to the last few weeks. Mine just said "Jake Rodkin: Video Game Journalist." They were the cards we printed up to qualify for press passes to cover E3... because that was something we really wanted to do for years, for some reason.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SpannerX posted:

Just went to the first post for the first time in ages, and was wondering if Cane and Rinse should be put on there.

I'd say so, it's a fairly typical "play through a game/franchise then discuss", in the same vein as WoFF, but I particularly like the British slant and they have done almost all of the games I love.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Journalist should be in all caps. Instead of Journalist with a capital J it'll be JOURNALIST with a capital J O U R N A L I S and T! That makes you a super journalist or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Video Games "Journalist"

Something in parentheses. I remember a Bob James album with a track that went "I Want to Thank You (Very Much, Video Games Journalist)."

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 8, 2014

• Locked thread