Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Djeser posted:

I'm gonna do :effort: level posting here and look at Writer's Block.

Context: This is being shouted by a Viking like war chief, who leads a group of giant moth riding warriors.

:geno:

Don't know what this is supposed to mean but it got a South Korean troper angry.
[/quote]
No, no, that troper was a "political scientist and amateur East Asia scholar." Completely different thing, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

No, no, that troper was a "political scientist and amateur East Asia scholar." Completely different thing, I hope.

There was an actual South Korean a few posts later who was equally baffled and annoyed.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It was more of a post-apocalyptic Canticle for Leibowitz-type thing. Preserving human culture (anime and fanfiction) after the collapse of civilization. On a website. :rolleye:

The mental image of a monk spending 10 years laboriously illuminating Talk: Dragonball Z is making me giggle.

Also there's two more shorts about the biotoys, I can't remember the names of them though. Scifi chat :toot:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Dressing up as Batman, Turkey is pretty obscure. Props to you, Eminem, on knowing geography.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bucketmouse posted:

The mental image of a monk spending 10 years laboriously illuminating Talk: Dragonball Z is making me giggle.

Also there's two more shorts about the biotoys, I can't remember the names of them though. Scifi chat :toot:

Brontė's Egg and I think the second one is In Tibor's Cardboard Castle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

Chip and Gadget are strongly in love with each other, and they do come closer, but only as close friends because neither wants to take the next step due to genetical incompatibility. Especially Chip thinks that Gadget might want to have children one day, and that she'd better wait for a mouse guy. Later in the story, while Chip is still in Washington and the national mascot, Gadget performs a DNA check on herself on the background of the events of "A Fly in the Ointment" when she switched bodies but not heads with Dale, and she discovers that there is still enough chipmunk DNA left in her to make her compatible with chipmunks. Dale and Foxglove, on the other hand, simply don't care, or they don't want kids.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Wastebasket Ball

Crumpling up a piece of paper, and attempting to toss it into a wastebasket across the room without getting up is deemed a sport. Failure to get a basket will often derive many comebacks and general bad attitude that can follow a man or woman around.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Break The Cutie: If a girl attempts to make a basket and fails, in most cases.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality fanfic review by willyolio 19th Aug 14

Obvious Author Avatar but still funny.

So many reviews on the fanfic page but no actual reviews? For shame!

Harry Potter obviously isn't Harry Potter in this fanfic. He's Eliezer Yudkowsky in an 11-year-old British boy's body. He can quote scientific papers and other things, but despite the major OOC it's still fun. The entire point of this story is an Author Tract, and given how silly wizards and magic already seem to some of us, throwing a hyper-intelligent Rationalist at them makes things even more absurd.

YMMV because he gets preachy at times, but he does make good points a lot of the time with his point of view. Also, the villains aren't stupid.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality whole series review by Xfing 19th Aug 14

Ruthlessly intellectual, a celebration of intellect and logic like none before it

As a kid, I was a huge, huge fan of Rowling's Harry Potter. As I grew slightly older and read the final book, I got disillusioned with Rowling's emotional writing style and some aspects and premises of the story struck me as glaring faults. The whole "love" thing, Harry's utter incorruptibility and Snape's ultimate motivation to name but a few. Also, I couldn't stand justifying Voldemort's evil with the fact that "he doesn't love" and portraying that as a bad thing. I take personal offense to that and I don't feel that's an adequate explanation for the atrocities Voldemort has committed. The book also carries a deathist message about the acceptance of death, which does hold true in Rowling's universe, but not necessarily in the real world. Thanks to the advancement of science.

Which brings us to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - an amazing response to all of those shortcomings of the original story. I have read until Chapter 17 so far, but I haven't felt so intellectually stimulated for a long time when reading something. Harry is a frighteningly smart child prodigy with a Machiavellian disposition and a lust for power which is only surpassed by his lust for knowledge. Ron is discarded like the worthless distraction he is and Harry enters a rivalry with Hermione, which he seems to be winning without even trying, while not for the reasons for which he would like to be winning it - which sets the stage for some amazingly hilarious moments.

While the lack of an overbearing moral message from the book is certainly a welcome change from the original, the insolent, ruthless glorification of pragmatism can come off as shocking to those endeared to Rowling's do-gooder writing style. Harry cultivating a friendship with Malfoy rather than turning him off for the rear end in a top hat he is was but one example. Needless to say, I love every bit of it. Watching heroes spiral into evil while still be perfectly capable of getting away with all that comes second to none as far as reading is concerned. I'm definitely going to read the remaining chapters and hope for even more to be written. Hail Science!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality whole series review by asbjfalfkj 3rd Apr 14

Witty, Sarcastic, Clever, Smart, and very Fun

I did warily go into this story. After all, the internet had called it pretentious and ivory tower and a mockery of Harry Potter. Well certain parts of the internet anyway. How could it possibly be so bad? I had been forced to wonder. And as I read the story, I can see why people said that. I can also see why they're wrong.

Methods is the story of Harry-James-Potter-Evans-Verres, a loud-mouthed, sarcastic, hopelessly smart boy who tries his best to be the hero of whatever magical world he's dropped into. He confuses adults and argues with them and most certain deconstructs certain beloved aspects of the Potter universe. The snitch? Doesn't work, get rid of it. A ghost teaching class? Where's the real teachers? A bully of a teacher? I refuse to continue at school until he's fired.

All the while being friends with Hermione, in Ravenclaw, and Draco in Slytherin. It is funny how these are his two friends instead of Ron and Hermione. Discarding Ron removes the emotional side, the id if you will. That is actually something of the point. By trying to discard his emotions, Harry is trying to be a better scientist, investigating how the laws of magic work. At the same time, as the Sorting Hat warns, this increases his "coldness" towards others. This Harry's potential for being a dark wizard is higher than book Harry because of his inability to look past his own rationality. Harry talks about trying to take over the world many times, and he's not kidding. World "optimization" he calls it. This is a very interesting Harry, and one we haven't seen before. Yes, it's very different from J.K.'s Potter, but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes we do need to move past our own assumptions of what things should be and look at them for what they are. Method's Harry is a deeply flawed human being, and a very interesting one.

The story itself is very interesting, but some of the best parts come from the humor. I've laughed more at this fic than a lot of things in the past while. I don't want to give much of it away, but it is worth a read just for that. The science is very interesting, as well, and quite accessible, even for someone not knowledgeable about the topics addressed.

All in all, do yourself a favor and pick this up. You won't regret it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality fanfic review by nalana 12th Oct 13

Great interpretations of various characters

I'm a big, big fan of this work. The portrayals of Dumbledore (a tortured soul whose whimsical manipulations are all that can get him through the day without breaking down in despair) and Quirrell (one of the most seductively convincing yet utterly evil villains you will ever meet) are particularly powerful. Some parts of the story I found a little corny, and the Self-Actualization arc seemed pretty silly.

None the less, it's a brilliant lesson in how to read a story: don't wait for the author's big reveals, think it all through yourself as you go along, think about what we know that the characters don't (for example, we know things about canon that aren't known to Harry or Dumbledore here), and think about what the author is trying to express. If you do all that, it's a heck of a story.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality fanfic review by Terrie 8th Oct 13

Reminds me of Pilgram's Progress

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
These people are so, so broken

It's a toss up between them and Bitcoiners for kings of internet isolation

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Samurai Quack posted:

It's a toss up between them and Bitcoiners for kings of internet isolation
Like their Venn wouldn't overlap a whole lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, their Bitcoin thread is mostly dedicated to mocking it, particularly later on, though I do recommend reading Bonsai Forest's post history through it. It's pretty entertaining.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality fanfic review by Terrie 8th Oct 13

Reminds me of Pilgram's Progress

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zedd posted:

Like their Venn wouldn't overlap a whole lot.

Harry converts his gold into Batcoins and doubles his wealth.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TV TROPES: REMINDS ME OF PILGRIM'S PROGRESS

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
This isn't strictly TVTropes but the wordcount, subject matter (and most tellingly, the last-modified date) make me feel that it should be here.

Who wants many, many, MANY words about Animaniacs?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I can see some parallels myself there. Just not in any way that's particularly flattering to the writing quality. I mean, they're both religious parables where an idealised True Believer proceeds towards his heavenly reward, passing various strawmen as he goes who fall by the wayside and suffer hideous punishments for their unbelief as the hero (and author) struggle in vain to hide their amusement.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality whole series review by asbjfalfkj 3rd Apr 14

Witty, Sarcastic, Clever, Smart, and very Fun

I did warily go into this story. After all, the internet had called it pretentious and ivory tower and a mockery of Harry Potter. Well certain parts of the internet anyway. How could it possibly be so bad? I had been forced to wonder. And as I read the story, I can see why people said that. I can also see why they're wrong.

Methods is the story of Harry-James-Potter-Evans-Verres, a loud-mouthed, sarcastic, hopelessly smart boy who tries his best to be the hero of whatever magical world he's dropped into. He confuses adults and argues with them and most certain deconstructs certain beloved aspects of the Potter universe. The snitch? Doesn't work, get rid of it. A ghost teaching class? Where's the real teachers? A bully of a teacher? I refuse to continue at school until he's fired.

All the while being friends with Hermione, in Ravenclaw, and Draco in Slytherin. It is funny how these are his two friends instead of Ron and Hermione. Discarding Ron removes the emotional side, the id if you will. That is actually something of the point. By trying to discard his emotions, Harry is trying to be a better scientist, investigating how the laws of magic work. At the same time, as the Sorting Hat warns, this increases his "coldness" towards others. This Harry's potential for being a dark wizard is higher than book Harry because of his inability to look past his own rationality. Harry talks about trying to take over the world many times, and he's not kidding. World "optimization" he calls it. This is a very interesting Harry, and one we haven't seen before. Yes, it's very different from J.K.'s Potter, but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes we do need to move past our own assumptions of what things should be and look at them for what they are. Method's Harry is a deeply flawed human being, and a very interesting one.

The story itself is very interesting, but some of the best parts come from the humor. I've laughed more at this fic than a lot of things in the past while. I don't want to give much of it away, but it is worth a read just for that. The science is very interesting, as well, and quite accessible, even for someone not knowledgeable about the topics addressed.

All in all, do yourself a favor and pick this up. You won't regret it.

hahahaha jesus look at that. How realistic, refusing to continue as a student until the administration fires a bullying teacher. This happens in real life all the time, because the school has no choice but to accommodate the student!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why is a ghost teacher considered bad? They are clearly shown to be sentient, aware beings, basically the exact same as other humans. In fact, doesn't that really gently caress with the "death is the worst thing ever, science enables us to live forever!" theme?

It just kills me how the author is basically Voldemort and makes Harry into this "logic beep boop" character scared to death of...death. Not that they'd know that because they never read the loving books themselves. Magic fantasy sure is improved by having the protagonist state "Wait a minute, how can that work, the law of thermodynamics clearly states..." all the drat time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

WickedHate posted:

Why is a ghost teacher considered bad? They are clearly shown to be sentient, aware beings, basically the exact same as other humans. In fact, doesn't that really gently caress with the "death is the worst thing ever, science enables us to live forever!" theme?

Well, at least in the original series, I think Nearly Headless Nick states that pretty much every ghost comes about because they had too many/heavy regrets weighing them down for them to completely pass on. So, not what one would consider an ideal form of "living forever".

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Regalingualius posted:

So, not what one would consider an ideal form of "living forever".
Well, you have to consider that this is from the author whose reaction to finding out that unicorn blood could grant immortality was "Then why don't wizarding hospitals have unicorn abattoirs?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Also, I couldn't stand justifying Voldemort's evil with the fact that "he doesn't love" and portraying that as a bad thing. I take personal offense to that and I don't feel that's an adequate explanation for the atrocities Voldemort has committed.

oh my god is this an "aromantic" screed it is isn't it

I'm pretty sure most people who self-identify as "Aromantic" only know about "love" from the perspective of mass media and don't understand their own emotions. Like a really fuckin' pathetic version of the "WHAT IF YOUR PURPLE IS MY GREEN, MAAAN" thing.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Methods of Rationality is the logical conclusion of adults and adolescents thinking they can 1-up Rowling by trying to find as maany flaws (mostly stuff they don't like) as possible in the books, except with the addition of a superiority complex and even less of a willfully dense understanding of children's book morality.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WickedHate posted:

It just kills me how the author is basically Voldemort and makes Harry into this "logic beep boop" character scared to death of...death. Not that they'd know that because they never read the loving books themselves. Magic fantasy sure is improved by having the protagonist state "Wait a minute, how can that work, the law of thermodynamics clearly states..." all the drat time.

This is crossing over with the Lesswrong mock thread's territory, but in Harry Potter of the Methods of Rationality, Harry declares with no real evidence deduces with his grand intellect that ghosts aren't sentient.

Chapter 18 posted:

As he ate his cupcake, Harry thought of the worst teacher he'd met so far, Professor Binns of History. Professor Binns was a ghost. From what Hermione had said about ghosts, it didn't seem likely that they were fully self-aware. There were no famous discoveries made by ghosts, or much of any original work, no matter who they'd been in life. Ghosts tended to have trouble remembering the current century. Hermione had said they were like accidental portraits, impressed into the surrounding matter by a burst of psychic energy accompanying a wizard's sudden death.

Harry had run into some stupid teachers during his abortive forays into standard Muggle education - his father had been a lot pickier when it came to selecting grad students as tutors, of course - but History class was the first time he'd encountered a teacher who literally wasn't sentient.

And it showed, too. Harry had given up after five minutes and started reading a textbook. When it became clear that "Professor Binns" wasn't going to object, Harry had also reached into his pouch and gotten earplugs.

Did ghosts not require a salary? Was that it? Or was it literally impossible to fire anyone in Hogwarts even if they died?

Remember that this is written by an AI priest who thinks computers can be sentient, and that ghosts in Harry Potter can clearly pass the Turing test.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Methods of Rationality is the logical conclusion of adults and who think like adolescents thinking they can 1-up Rowling by trying to find as maany flaws (mostly stuff they don't like) as possible in the books, except with the addition of a superiority complex and even less of a willfully dense understanding of children's book morality.

Big Yud is forever 14. Only the thing that he shouts "You can't make me do it! It's not fair!" about is dying.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Polybius91 posted:

Well, you have to consider that this is from the author whose reaction to finding out that unicorn blood could grant immortality was "Then why don't wizarding hospitals have unicorn abattoirs?"

Doesn't killing or eating a unicorn gently caress you up in Harry Potter? Like, I haven't read that poo poo since I was a kid but I remember they mentioned people don't use it to live forever because your life becomes misery forever

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

corn in the bible posted:

Doesn't killing or eating a unicorn gently caress you up in Harry Potter? Like, I haven't read that poo poo since I was a kid but I remember they mentioned people don't use it to live forever because your life becomes misery forever

Lesswrong's main article of faith is that nothing is worse than death. In their view, Ted would be the winner in I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream because he lives.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I think it's something like "you're cursed for the rest of your days, and have to keep drinking if you want to keep it up". Voldy was after the Philosopher's Stone because he'd only have to deal with the latter effect, if I'm remembering/speculating right.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lesswrong's main article of faith is that nothing is worse than death. In their view, Ted would be the winner in I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream because he lives.

I'm sorry, but why does he believe that? Like you said, just because isn't dead doesn't mean that person is living a fulfilling, non tormented existance.
Many books have dealt with the idea that immortality can really screw you over, and in the cases where the character is doomed to suffer for aeons, why not off the poor bastard?

Heck even in Harry Potter using Horcruxes, the best way to be immortal without being screwed over by fate involves murder to split your soul and seal it in an object. And when that object breaks and you croak, all you are is a soul unable to interact with the world for all eternity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Annointed posted:

I'm sorry, but why does he believe that?

Mostly because he's a dumb nerd who's also scared that in the future might make a simulation of him and mock it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mostly because he's a dumb nerd who's also scared that in the future might make a simulation of him and mock it.

Which is totally different from right now how?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Regalingualius posted:

Well, at least in the original series, I think Nearly Headless Nick states that pretty much every ghost comes about because they had too many/heavy regrets weighing them down for them to completely pass on. So, not what one would consider an ideal form of "living forever".

Actually, Nick stated that they all had a choice, and he himself was too scared to move on. Once you make the choice you're basically stuck forever so Binns still teaching is the least they could do for a dead teacher

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Annointed posted:

I'm sorry, but why does he believe that? Like you said, just because isn't dead doesn't mean that person is living a fulfilling, non tormented existance.
Many books have dealt with the idea that immortality can really screw you over, and in the cases where the character is doomed to suffer for aeons, why not off the poor bastard?

Heck even in Harry Potter using Horcruxes, the best way to be immortal without being screwed over by fate involves murder to split your soul and seal it in an object. And when that object breaks and you croak, all you are is a soul unable to interact with the world for all eternity.

If you re-check your priors and multiply you'll find out that there is nothing worse than death. :smuggo: Except for not giving money to my AI "research" group, which has done nothing but fund my Harry Potter fan fiction and a series of incredibly smug/dumb blog posts about how smart I am.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Annointed posted:

I'm sorry, but why does he believe that?
Because he's a spoiled manchild.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Actually, Nick stated that they all had a choice, and he himself was too scared to move on. Once you make the choice you're basically stuck forever so Binns still teaching is the least they could do for a dead teacher

Ah, fair enough; it's been ages since I last read anything HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

If you re-check your priors and multiply you'll find out that there is nothing worse than death. :smuggo: Except for not giving money to my AI "research" group, which has done nothing but fund my Harry Potter fan fiction and a series of incredibly smug/dumb blog posts about how smart I am.

Now now, let's be fair, they also have published a single paper in a non-peer-reviewed one-time-only non-technical special topics journal. In the field of philosophy.

• Locked thread