Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dewgy posted:

Hell, the early 90s was nothing but demo based sales, when you look at Apogee and iD and their ilk.

From what I remember it was actually mostly just playing the free episode over and over again, until one of your friends got a pirated version of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

From what I remember it was actually mostly just playing the free episode over and over again, until one of your friends got a pirated version of the whole thing.

This is exactly how it was, especially with Apogee/iD because they were mail order only for a while. Although iD did have a neat system where they sold a demo CD of Quake (which had all the game's audio tracks as CD Audio) with encrypted full versions of all their games including Quake 1, and by calling iD software's hotline you could do a digital purchase of any of their games (they gave you an unlock code to install the game with), IIRC the automated system was John Carmack hamming it up.

Dewgy posted:

I work in customer service. In what way is suggesting a digital return policy is not that bad of an idea making me unaware of how the world works? :psyduck:

"This will never work! It will be abused! Well Origin does it actually and some other places do it in a similar fashion BUT THE WORLD WILL END AND LOCUSTS AND FLIES AND NO ONE WILL MAKE MY HALOS ANY MORE :saddowns:"

Origin gets away with it because their new games are very multiplayer-focused and impossible to complete in a 24-hour period unless you legitimately decide you hate the game. The exact same offer would never work with a single player-only linear game that wasn't an epic RPG; something like Bioshock Infinite would have been rife for abuse of the service.

What other digital game services have a blanket return policy? I don't know of a single one.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Dewgy posted:

I work in customer service. In what way is suggesting a digital return policy is not that bad of an idea making me unaware of how the world works? :psyduck:

I just find it incredibly funny that you're advocating for the implementation of a policy that is extremely unclear and would most likely become an absolute hell for any CSRs. This entire conversation came as a result of you opting to buy before reading any reviews of a game that has been out for close to four months that involves being chased by the police in a 3rd person sandbox crime game.

Theoretically the idea of a no-questions-asked digital return policy is great. Realistically it would most likely end up being a nightmare for everyone involved.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
E: ^^^^^ it's only unclear for CSRs because no such policy actually exists yet? I mean gently caress yeah my job's gonna be confusing if I have to invent policy on the fly, sure, but how is that relevant to discussing the idea here? :psyduck:

iTunes is generally not too hard to get a refund from for various reasons ('doesn't work as advertised or expected' is the catch-all for "it sucks and I hate it" and even then it won't work forever) and they seem to be struggling along somehow. I still think the fears of a digital return policy are just that: Fears. Any potential for abuse can be mitigated by not being a dumbass about the policy itself. DRM-free stuff I can see being an obvious problem but even then you can just be super strict about it and remove the user's ability to re-download the game. So somebody gets away with a free game or two before they get their return privileges revoked, big whoop. I would be willing to bet Sony's lost more money on pricing errors than they would in allowing people to un-buy things anyway.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Alternately don't buy digitally and just buy physical copies so you can sell them if you don't like them. I really don't see how this entire issue is anyone's fault but your own.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Christ, people really want to both paint me as a whiny self made victim and then blame me, don't they?

I'm not sitting here haranguing about how it's my god given right to return poo poo or that I've ruined my life over a $40 purchase, I'm just saying there should be better options for digital purchases in terms of buyers' remorse. I would have rather bought something else, that's it. Just sucks there's no option for that and it's kind of amazing everyone else is just loving peachy with the idea and apparently there's literally no reason or room to discuss for how this could be improved in the future. :psyduck:

I've been buying digital poo poo for years, most of my purchases are digital on Live or Steam. gently caress, sorry if I find this subject interesting I guess.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Dewgy posted:

iTunes is generally not too hard to get a refund from for various reasons ('doesn't work as advertised or expected' is the catch-all for "it sucks and I hate it" and even then it won't work forever) and they seem to be struggling along somehow.
I think the iTunes return policy is the same as Sony's return policy. If it doesn't work, you can probably get a refund, otherwise, probably not. Or if you do manage to convince them to give a refund, you probably won't get another one. Officially though, I am pretty sure iTunes TOS says no returns on digital orders.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

For what it's worth, the guy at sony that I chatted with seemed willing to refund me for the ps3 destiny I accidentally purchased, but since I probably wouldn't get the refund until at least release day I didn't take it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to Jeff Gerstmann don't expect any (reasonable) launch day reviews for Destiny as review copies won't work until the server is up tomorrow.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So expect a ton of "I played this for 10 minutes, here's why it's THE WORST EVER! please favorite/thumbs up/subscribe!" youtubes

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

muscles like this? posted:

So according to Jeff Gerstmann don't expect any (reasonable) launch day reviews for Destiny as review copies won't work until the server is up tomorrow.

Is anyone expecting something other than "10 out of 10 best game of the year it rules" with the amount of ad budget and hype it has?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"Dinkleberry sounds bad! 1/10!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its kind of funny watching how my friends list changes. Right now if I were to look at it, mostly everyone on there will be playing Diablo 3. Come Tuesday, that will change to Destiny.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

People do tend to play the newer popular games yes

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Its kind of funny watching how my friends list changes. Right now if I were to look at it, mostly everyone on there will be playing Diablo 3. Come Tuesday, that will change to Destiny.

Yeah, funny how games that people actually want to play are coming out finally.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well, I don't think the selection is terrible by any means.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harlock posted:

Is anyone expecting something other than "10 out of 10 best game of the year it rules" with the amount of ad budget and hype it has?

Depends where you look I guess. From the beta alone I'm pretty confident that it'll do well critally, but there are plenty of sites that don't just jump on perfect scores for the most hyped games.

It's a bummer that they didn't have some sort of review servers in place though, or activate them a week in advance. Plenty of games do that these days.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Gaming journalism is dead anyway #gamergate

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It's a high-budget console shooter. He'll give it 4/5.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I wonder if the complete drop off of Titanfall will lead to sites waiting a bit to post an actual review and instead just post some first impressions on Tuesday.

lol jk

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Okay, so I just played the NHL 15 demo, 1 game, on Rookie, and I've never played an EA Hockey title before. If I actually buy this thing, is it going to keep being that awesome? And what are these pack things? I know they're microtransaction bs, but I don't need to worry about them?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jZt_ZE8IM

Had to share this. So yeah, if you want all perfects? You have to be this quick with everything at least in Critical Urgency levels. One tip is that they usually have a line of survivors end with when you have to bomb those shield generators so that's usually a good visual cue on when to shoot those bombs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Christ, people really want to both paint me as a whiny self made victim and then blame me, don't they?

I'm not sitting here haranguing about how it's my god given right to return poo poo or that I've ruined my life over a $40 purchase, I'm just saying there should be better options for digital purchases in terms of buyers' remorse. I would have rather bought something else, that's it. Just sucks there's no option for that and it's kind of amazing everyone else is just loving peachy with the idea and apparently there's literally no reason or room to discuss for how this could be improved in the future. :psyduck:

I've been buying digital poo poo for years, most of my purchases are digital on Live or Steam. gently caress, sorry if I find this subject interesting I guess.

There's nothing interesting or worth discussing in 2014 when you buy a game weeks after release with questionable reviews at best and you end up not liking it and suggesting that a company should refund you because you either didn't do research or took a risk. Move along.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Okay, so I just played the NHL 15 demo, 1 game, on Rookie, and I've never played an EA Hockey title before. If I actually buy this thing, is it going to keep being that awesome? And what are these pack things? I know they're microtransaction bs, but I don't need to worry about them?

This game is the loving worst.

Packs are hockey ultimate team mode where you build a team with cards. A top ranked player last year had already dropped $500 or more on xbox live ea early access. It's a bullshit mode IMO.

Do not buy this years game. A ton of features were cut, it's not worth the money.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As long as you are ok with just playing games and no other (good) modes, it will be that awesome yes. The core gameplay is pretty fun, but people are describing the full game as the demo but with 30 teams.

The packs are for Hockey Ultimate Team, which highly incentivizes spending real money to make your team better faster, but is not necessary.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Steve2911 posted:

Depends where you look I guess. From the beta alone I'm pretty confident that it'll do well critally, but there are plenty of sites that don't just jump on perfect scores for the most hyped games.

It's a bummer that they didn't have some sort of review servers in place though, or activate them a week in advance. Plenty of games do that these days.

Bungie stated in their last weekly update that they didn't let reviewers play specifically because Destiny needs a live population for the best and most accurate gameplay. If the game gets criticized for being sparse, and not having the matchmaking facilities to back it up, it would have been unfair.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

sellouts posted:

Do not buy this years game. A ton of features were cut, it's not worth the money.

But I don't know those features, so that doesn't matter.

sellouts posted:

Packs are hockey ultimate team mode where you build a team with cards. A top ranked player last year had already dropped $500 or more on xbox live ea early access. It's a bullshit mode IMO.

That, however, does. Holy gently caress. I'm not rewarding that kind of BS. I'll put this next to The Show in "when it's on sale."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

sellouts posted:

There's nothing interesting or worth discussing in 2014 when you buy a game weeks after release with questionable reviews at best and you end up not liking it and suggesting that a company should refund you because you either didn't do research or took a risk. Move along.

Oh gently caress off, it's required by law in the EU and people bitch about that not being upheld endlessly, and as I explained plenty of times before I was pretty sure I would like it from all the research I'd done. Is this somehow going to become less of a problem worth addressing as time goes on?

poo poo, I'm pretty much OK with keeping the game at this point but I just want to keep arguing because no one seems to not be a humongous rear end in a top hat about making a counterpoint against the concept of digital returns. I'll drop it, but someone please take the time to explain where all the loving vitriol against this is coming from. Are you all secretly game developers ruined by abusive refunds or something?

revolther
May 27, 2008
These guys are all just so worried about how hard it would be for poor poor businesses to implement revokable licenses and absorb potential losses on intangible digital products that they don't realize the dystopian capitalist hell they are advocating.

Typical middle American mindsets, can't imagine anything better, like businesses compromising at all if it potentially reduces profits, so they are completely willing to make a myriad of excuses for why their current poo poo sandwich is the ideal.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If you spent as much time trying to get a refund as you have posting about it, you probably would have bothered their customer service enough for them to do it.

I think it's bullshit you can't return digital games when they are so buggy/rushed that they barely work. Personally I'll never go digital because I can't resell the games.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dewgy posted:

poo poo, I'm pretty much OK with keeping the game at this point but I just want to keep arguing because no one seems to not be a humongous rear end in a top hat about making a counterpoint against the concept of digital returns.

Piracy was already used by developers to enact some heinous poo poo. Fraudulent returns on a digital distribution system would be several orders of magnitude more costly, not just due to lost sales, but CS rep time used, training, and a system more easily abuseable by more people from lower bar to entry (no tech skills needed to ask for a refund). A system for digital refunds also cannot ever be 100% foolproof either since once you have the file, they cannot ensure you don't have any way of circumventing licencing.

Is that non-rear end in a top hat enough for you? Digital returns would need a system like PSNow to be used exclusively. No console, no software entering your control.

revolther posted:

These guys are all just so worried about how hard it would be for poor poor businesses to implement revokable licenses and absorb potential losses on intangible digital products that they don't realize the dystopian capitalist hell they are advocating.

Typical middle American mindsets, can't imagine anything better, like businesses compromising at all if it potentially reduces profits, so they are completely willing to make a myriad of excuses for why their current poo poo sandwich is the ideal.

Canadian here, and frankly, for a non-essential like software, especially gaming software, refunds should only be for brokenness, not "I didn't like it." It's like going to the theatre and asking for your money back after a movie because you didn't like it.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 7, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
E: ^^^^ Much less assholey, yes. I still think the fears are mostly unfounded and are definitely a worst-case scenario, but with it never being put into practice we don't know. I disagree on the PSNow kind of idea though, admitting the licensing system has flaws that err in favor of the consumer doesn't meant it has to be abandoned entirely. Also I'd say what I want is more like walking out in the first ten minutes of a movie and asking for a different ticket.

quote:

If you spent as much time trying to get a refund as you have posting about it, you probably would have bothered their customer service enough for them to do it.

Well yeah but I decided arguing over this was more fun. :v:

Plus I decided to give it a fair shake. I really do think on further reflection Watch_Dogs just had a bad opening. I decided to do some procedural stuff first, after a fairly long day at work, which I doubt gave a great impression of the game overall.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 7, 2014

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dewgy posted:

Plus I decided to give it a fair shake. I really do think on further reflection Watch_Dogs just had a bad opening. I decided to do some procedural stuff first, after a fairly long day at work, which I doubt gave a great impression of the game overall.

Yeah, I really liked the game. Aiden is actually a good character in that his obsession consumes him. Writing isn't great, but the game is pretty dec.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dewgy posted:

At the very least try the spidertank mini game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Aishan posted:

It's a high-budget console shooter. He'll give it 4/5.

If he actually gives it a low score people will bitch about that too. No win situation, really.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh god. I am the ultimate NHL fanboy. I called my 360 the NHL machine because that's what would sit in the disc tray for 9 months out of the year. Yes, the actual gameplay in NHL is pretty drat awesome. However, there is a pretty big problem with this years ps4/xbone offerings. They stripped a gently caress-ton of features and gamemodes out of the ps4/xbone versions of the game, citing the need to rebuild the game for the newer consoles and lack of resources.

It may not bother you because you've never played an EA NHL title before though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dewgy posted:

E: ^^^^ Much less assholey, yes. I still think the fears are mostly unfounded and are definitely a worst-case scenario, but with it never being put into practice we don't know. I disagree on the PSNow kind of idea though, admitting the licensing system has flaws that err in favor of the consumer doesn't meant it has to be abandoned entirely. Also I'd say what I want is more like walking out in the first ten minutes of a movie and asking for a different ticket.

Honestly, I thought the game was crap. The story is awful, the city is bland, and once you have done the activities, you have pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. Play up to the point where you can unlock all the skills and if you still don't like it, then it won't get any better.

I did like what they did with Iraq. He was a "stereotypical" character that is more complex than what he seems.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

revolther posted:

Typical middle American mindsets

ur move, commie :colbert:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Does anyone know how to install the PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset on the PS4? I tried plugging in the wireless dongle that comes with it, and it doesn't connect. I tried plugging the headset directly in with USB to see if it would recognize it the way it does with the Dualshock 4, and nothing happens. Even when the headset is directly connected that way it doesn't acknowledge that I have a headset.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Adam Bowen posted:

Does anyone know how to install the PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset on the PS4? I tried plugging in the wireless dongle that comes with it, and it doesn't connect. I tried plugging the headset directly in with USB to see if it would recognize it the way it does with the Dualshock 4, and nothing happens. Even when the headset is directly connected that way it doesn't acknowledge that I have a headset.

The tricky and obscure method called "you don't." only PS3 headset that works with PS4, and only PS3 cross gen accessory I'm aware of are the Pulse Elites.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cronox2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jZt_ZE8IM

Had to share this. So yeah, if you want all perfects? You have to be this quick with everything at least in Critical Urgency levels. One tip is that they usually have a line of survivors end with when you have to bomb those shield generators so that's usually a good visual cue on when to shoot those bombs.

I watched this and have no goddamn idea what happened or if I want to play it. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

I watched this and have no goddamn idea what happened or if I want to play it. :psyduck:

You do, it's a fun game and it explains how to play itself very well. You'll start off slowly creeping up the screen but by the halfway mark you'll barely take your finger off the turbo button. Well, apart from those kind of eh maze levels.

• Locked thread