Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
He wrote the Malus Darkblade series with Mike Lee, really the first depiction of awful evil characters I enjoyed prior to reading the Night Lords trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

jadebullet posted:

I just thought that the single sentence that shows that it is an alternative timeline where the USSR got to the moon first was pretty interesting.

The USSR did get to the moon first, just with unmanned probes instead of a human being. They were also the first to bring any samples back from the moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing#Unmanned_landings

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Nick Kyme's £45 Salamdanders novel http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/rebirth.html is down to the last 100 copies. GW must be pissing their pants with glee that even Kyme's salamanders can pretty much sell out if they sell the book as a £45 bombshell.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mr.48 posted:

They were also the first to bring any samples back from the moon.

This is incorrect as shown by your own link. Although they would have gotten the first samples back by like a few days if their first sample return mission hadn't crashed.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

maev posted:

Nick Kyme's £45 Salamdanders novel http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/rebirth.html is down to the last 100 copies. GW must be pissing their pants with glee that even Kyme's salamanders can pretty much sell out if they sell the book as a £45 bombshell.

I saw that on BL's website yesterday and I couldn't believe it. I can semi understand ADB or Abnett selling £45 based on name alone, but Kyme? You would have to be brain damaged to think that was a good choice.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kyme already had a pricey limited-edition that sold well, so it's not without precedent.

Granted, that one wasn't ~forty-five pounds~, but it was only a novella.

There are enough troglodytes who reflexively buy any and all 40k media that they can do this with pretty much anything, regardless of quality.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

JerryLee posted:

This is incorrect as shown by your own link. Although they would have gotten the first samples back by like a few days if their first sample return mission hadn't crashed.

Whoops, youre right, thats what I get for posting on two days of no sleep! They did make it to the moon first with the Luna 2 though :)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The question is...which one of you is buying this stuff?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Uroboros posted:

The question is...which one of you is buying this stuff?

I want admissions and I want them now

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

UberJumper posted:

I have read 2/3rds of the Talon of Horus, and its good. But...

I just can't bring myself to care about the characters in the same way i cared about First Claw, or Kharne and Argel Tal. Khayon is a neat character, he just feels so human like that i keep forgetting he is an astartes, which makes some of the scenes just feel off.

This is definitely the case. His whole Dark Eldar Girlfriend thing is frankly stupid, IMO, and the book would be better without it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

VanSandman posted:

This is definitely the case. His whole Dark Eldar Girlfriend thing is frankly stupid, IMO, and the book would be better without it.

how much of the book is taken up by this

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Waroduce posted:

how much of the book is taken up by this

Too much. It's honestly a weak as gently caress ADB book.

Still better than an average Black Library book, but that's not saying much.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mr.48 posted:

The USSR did get to the moon first, just with unmanned probes instead of a human being. They were also the first to bring any samples back from the moon.

Should have specified. First manned moon expedition. The nice part was that he didn't just come out and say "look, this is different and why the Soviet Bloc still exists," instead he just off-handidly mentions the first man on the moon and it is a Russian sounding name and it is a few years after our moon landing.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Any opinions on the Dark Eldar trilogy?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
So I haven't been paying attention to Warhammer fiction/the Black Library in a while, is that new HH novel to deal with the Emperor himself, The Master of Mankind, out yet? And if so, is it any good? I seem to remember it was ADB who was supposed to write it.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

VanSandman posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to raise this, coupled with the whole 'a bit too human' characterization Khayon himself begins to present a problem which niggles throughout the book when I'd much rather be reading about actual Chaos Marine stuff or Black Legion / Eye of Terror. I've seen reviews from other sites which laud Talon of Horus in the most hyperbolic terms, and seen some posts which say that the Dark Eldar girlfriend is their favorite character so there's plenty of absurd hype out there. Its a decent book overall but not one to poo poo your pants over, far from it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the main thing is that he's not pathetic like Talos.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Azubah posted:

Talos was my least favorite character in the NL trilogy so there you go. Though ADB loves his melancholic pouting protagonists.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

maev posted:

I want admissions and I want them now

My thoughts are who is more likely to buy this crap than us nerds talking on about endlessly on here...

I smell heresy.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azubah posted:

Talos is that interesting kind of pathetic in that while he has a personal code of dignity he follows from an outsider's perspective he is laughably delusional while remaining insanely dangerous.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

He's completely wrong but he believes the opposite and its terrifying

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Talos is that interesting kind of pathetic in that while he has a personal code of dignity he follows from an outsider's perspective he is laughably delusional while remaining insanely dangerous.

Talos is like a heavily armed moody teenager, except instead of writing lovely poetry and shooting up a school he whines and shoots up spaceships. So kind of like a miniature version of most Primarchs :v:

God I loving hated him.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I hated all the Night Lords characters in there. Man, I was rooting so bad for those loyalist Space Marines from that super uptight chapter that tried to stop them from slaughtering all the civilians on that one backwater planet where it turned out that it had originally been Tsagualsa.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So just read a copy of "The Damnation of Pythos" I got from a friend.

Wow, as others have said, it is super-forgettable. Basically adds nothing to the overall storyline and is just not very good. Give it a miss unless you're a completionist/hardcore Iron Warrior fanboy.

Edit: I did in fact mean Iron Hands.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 10, 2014

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Deptfordx posted:

So just read a copy of "The Damnation of Pythos" I got from a friend.

Wow, as others have said, it is super-forgettable. Basically adds nothing to the overall storyline and is just not very good. Give it a miss unless you're a completionist/hardcore Iron Warrior fanboy.

Do you mean Iron Hands?

Also, Blood of Asaheim is a great book, I loved it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Mr.48 posted:

Talos is like a heavily armed moody teenager, except instead of writing lovely poetry and shooting up a school he whines and shoots up spaceships. So kind of like a miniature version of most Primarchs :v:

God I loving hated him.

This is every space marine. They're genetically engineered monsters that weight 900 pounds naked, but have the mind of a sophomore. Give that sort of raw killing potential to a mentally underdeveloped super human and you will have problems.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So I was bought an audiobook from the black library. I bought Betrayer and was generally pretty happy with how well done it was. Now I crave more of the same quality. Most of the samples I've listened to on the black library website left me feeling pretty cold. Has anyone else given it a listen and know of others on the same level?

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

And he's got some book titled Fiefdom related to the Kingdom comic from 2000 AD. Also written together with Nik Vincent apparently.
Still, did not expect him to actually write a Tomb Raider book though of all things.

Fiefdom was not good.
Has anybody read the last Macharius Crusade book? I liked the first two, especially the second, but this one has the most anti-climactic ending ever.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sextro posted:

So I was bought an audiobook from the black library. I bought Betrayer and was generally pretty happy with how well done it was. Now I crave more of the same quality. Most of the samples I've listened to on the black library website left me feeling pretty cold. Has anyone else given it a listen and know of others on the same level?

the sigilite or whatever about malcador was really good. I made it through the first two Garro audiobooks, they were....ok. I was on a really long car ride and there wasnt much else available.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sextro posted:

Lessee, Know No Fear is good. I don't know if there's an audiobook for it yet though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

This isn't what I wanted.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

VanSandman posted:

Lessee, Know No Fear is good. I don't know if there's an audiobook for it yet though.

Oh yeah. I've read most of the books you folks seem to suggest around here and have been filling in older stuff I hadn't seen before. Betrayer I actually read but after getting a copy of it figured I'd give it a listen since my commute sucks. After it was over Know No Fear is actually the first thing I looked for an audiobook of, I really wanted to find one too.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
All the recent unabridged audiobooks seem to have been done by the same company. Betrayer is one of the better ones. I had mentioned it before but the Abnett audiobooks are kinda tedious at times because of the repetition in the writing. Even the reader starts to sound bored. He reads all the time indexes from Know No Fear- that gets old pretty damned quick. Do you like hearing descriptions of Kurze that call him various combinations of tall, shadowy, and pale? Unremembered Empire is your jam! I'm half tempted to buy Mark of Calth simply because there are three different readers- might mix things up a bit.

Of the audio dramas, The Sigillite is good. I also liked Censure. I really liked the Ciaphas Cain one but it just made me wish it was longer.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Temple of the Serpent is hilarious. Thanquol was sent to Lustria to kill a skink priest but he gets trapped in the temple and has to team up with a human to escape. The human then demands some weapons that Thanquol grudgingly gives over else he won't guide Thanquol out of the temple.
*Thanquol hears gunfire*
:argh: Why did I give that stupid man-thing a gun?
*human shot skink priest to save his girl*
:eyepop: Wait did that just happen!?
:smuggo: I knew I gave him the gun for a reason, I Grey Seer Thanquol, is the smartest Grey Seer of all!

In the next book, he thoroughly convinced himself that it he planned it all out.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Are there any other books that expand more on the whole "Astartes as stunted manchildren" theme?

I sort of liked Mercutian better than the rest of First Claw, but that could be because he mostly keeps to himself. Cyrion might actually have progressed into being a college-aged jerk, though, in that he at least tries to keep a veneer of sense over his impulses and prejudices while being arguably worse than the others.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Horus Heresy books that focus on the corruption of Chapters usually focus on how their childlike flaws get exploited.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Doesn't Hyperion specifically mention how Space Marines are essentially stunted in development, which gives rise to his thought that Space Marines aren't humans made into weapons, but instead weapons with a human soul? I thought that was a pretty neat way of putting it. Honestly, I think ADB is pretty aware of this and it shows in how he writes his Space Marines. Talos is insane, but that is pretty clear given how Octavia reacts to his ramblings. His human slaves have a bit of a Stockholm-Syndrome thing going on because he isn't as evil and cruel to them as the other Night Lords are to the rest of the human crew, but they ultimately don't really seem to buy into his bullshit.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sephyr posted:

Are there any other books that expand more on the whole "Astartes as stunted manchildren" theme?

I sort of liked Mercutian better than the rest of First Claw, but that could be because he mostly keeps to himself. Cyrion might actually have progressed into being a college-aged jerk, though, in that he at least tries to keep a veneer of sense over his impulses and prejudices while being arguably worse than the others.

That's a consistent theme of ADB's. And it's true - they are taking a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds and instead of raising them to be regular people they get put through this hosed up super warrior indoctrination for 50 years. It's like those cases of feral children, but instead of no guidance they got this messed up ultra violent guidance instead. They should be all hosed up. Socialization matters.

Trying to remember who, but another author did a free short story (in his own, non40k universe) riffing on the same theme about post singularity transhumans. With the point that all the traits we see as ideal like super regeneration and turning off pain and being able to survive on a diet of arsenic and uranium dust will lead to people so bizarre from our worldview that they will come off as mentally different and psychopathic.

Anyways, I've seen a lot of praise for the art inside the talon of Horus books, even for the elritch symbols on the numbered and signed page. Could someone scan and post them? Thanks

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Trying to remember who, but another author did a free short story (in his own, non40k universe) riffing on the same theme about post singularity transhumans. With the point that all the traits we see as ideal like super regeneration and turning off pain and being able to survive on a diet of arsenic and uranium dust will lead to people so bizarre from our worldview that they will come off as mentally different and psychopathic.

If you can remember the details I'd like to read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fried Chicken posted:

That's a consistent theme of ADB's. And it's true - they are taking a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds and instead of raising them to be regular people they get put through this hosed up super warrior indoctrination for 50 years. It's like those cases of feral children, but instead of no guidance they got this messed up ultra violent guidance instead. They should be all hosed up. Socialization matters.
From what I remember it's more like people in their mid teens they take, so they basically stay stuck at "gently caress YOU MOM I DO WHAT I WANT!" forever. That said, they also tend to recruit from hellworlds so... yeah.