Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Morglon posted:

Recluse. Unless you can tell where poo poo spawns then it's Bastion. Honestly Recluse doesn't depend on terrain at all and will shine at offensive or more mobile combat while Bastion will rely on somewhat clever terrain usage and will absolutely dominate everything else at area denial. Unless you're stupid and take the loving Tesla rifle but then it's your own loving fault.

Sounds good. As long as the Recluse doesn't cover the whole field with green clouds so no one can see anything. Some class out there is doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Zephyrine posted:

Sounds good. As long as the Recluse doesn't cover the whole field with green clouds so no one can see anything. Some class out there is doing that.

Well that's a bit harsh, Recluse will leave those giant poison clouds but it's rare that you can't actually see anything. Lots of those have to work together for that, the worst a single one can do is that your vision will turn black and white if you're standing inside the cloud. It'll hardly ever be an issue though, it's mostly just really confined spaces. If push comes to shove you can even stand in your own clouds but you should watch out for poison ball. That one will do massive impact damage and can get stuck on things before you such as another player being a dick.

Oh, and as a Bastion you want to avoid being near your exploding grenades. That poo poo will kill you no matter what.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zephyrine posted:

Hahaha, that's the Recluse. Poison AoE everywhere.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Morglon posted:

Well that's a bit harsh, Recluse will leave those giant poison clouds but it's rare that you can't actually see anything. Lots of those have to work together for that, the worst a single one can do is that your vision will turn black and white if you're standing inside the cloud. It'll hardly ever be an issue though, it's mostly just really confined spaces. If push comes to shove you can even stand in your own clouds but you should watch out for poison ball. That one will do massive impact damage and can get stuck on things before you such as another player being a dick.

Oh, and as a Bastion you want to avoid being near your exploding grenades. That poo poo will kill you no matter what.

Good point.

I have a lot of class thinking to do.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've been looking at picking up an advanced frame but I can't decide what to get.

I've already played my Assault and Tigerclaw up to 40, all I have left to do with them is just grind for purps but I still really enjoy the assault way of fighting, being really mobile, jumping constantly and raining hell down on targets. I especially like the Tigerclaw because of how it rewards good aim with high damage.

I've considered Firecat since it's another Assault frame, but I'm not sure I'll care for the style of just making GBS threads AOE everywhere, but it may be the best fit for me when you take everything else into account.

I've got the stock Dread up to 30 but it has never really clicked with me, it just feels slow and spammy, inaccurate, pretty much the polar opposite of the Tigerclaw. Maybe one of the Dread alt-frames are better? I know the Arsenal has a few perks I'd like to unlock but I don't know if they're worth picking up the frame for.

I've played Recon and Raptor for a while but I can't say I'm enjoying them too much either.

I've played Biotech up to 30 and I do enjoy the needlegun shotgun thing, the skills are pretty boring though and I don't really care to play a healer class. I haven't researched the Dragonfly or Recluse much, but the Recluse sounds like an aoe spam thread.

I've played some of the Engineer but I don't care much for the turret style of play, so I'm guessing I won't like making GBS threads turrets everywhere with the Bastion. So what's the deal with the Electron? I've heard it's less turret focused, more direct combat and buff focused which sounds nice, but I also heard it sucks which explains why it's so cheap on the marketplace.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Why shouldn't the Bastion use a Tesla rifle?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Apple Craft posted:

Depends what you are doing, but the sticky grenade launcher is a pretty good weapon.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Zephyrine posted:

So what Frame is best for general event AOE damage?

I've been playing around with the Firecat but every single ability seems to be made for close range and regardless of what class you are. Close range is rarely a good idea unless you're fighting enemies that are the same level as you or below and then you should be out looking for tougher enemies anyway.
I really enjoy my firecat. It's crazy mobile, and with some effort you can get almost 8 meters of high-damage splash on your primary. I generally hit entire spawn groups of enemies at once. A properly kitted afterburner will get you five uses, plus inferno dash, which is enough to let you close to point blank, spam all over everything, then back off and pretend you're a howitzer at your convenience.

e: I miss pre-1.0 when a mid-tier firecat could easily stay hovering (and even gain altitude!) indefinitely :smith:

Ralith fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 8, 2014

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ralith posted:

I really enjoy my firecat. It's crazy mobile, and with some effort you can get almost 8 meters of high-damage splash on your primary. I generally hit entire spawn groups of enemies at once. A properly kitted afterburner will get you five uses, plus inferno dash, which is enough to let you close to point blank, spam all over everything, then back off and pretend you're a howitzer at your convenience.

As above - I love my Firecat, as it is rather versatile in its dispensation of death and fiery justice. Yes, some of the skills are short-range, and sort of unintuitive in a game about jetpacks and guns - but then, like mentioned, you get a monster aoe on a rapid-firing death-gun, with a -crazy- (insanely underused) alt-fire (I cannot emphasize how often I see 'Cats wasting their time shooting bosses with Primary - hello Kanaloa). Mobility is incredible with the frame, in fact the highest of any assault - and there are a few choice skills you can use to fill out that last slot and your HKM.

Personally, I find Shockwave from the standard Assault to be a better HKM module, as it has far less delay than the janky-rear end thermal bomb, and does all of its damage up-front without relying on enemies to sit in the AOE fire (which, as mentioned, has a problem lining up with actual impacts of the bomb, the explosion, and the AOE remnant).

Thermal Wave is a standard pick for that last skill-slot, and it is an amazing crowd-sweeper, and even a great little bit of burst damage, hitting for about 12 thousand on targets (at least for a well geared Cat).

A good alternative for PVE is actually Burn Jets, as it allows you to stay in the air for AGES when paired with judicious use of afterburner and Inferno Dash, and excels at wiping out trash mobs if you use it to hover a few feet over the ground for them to cluster beneath.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Zephyrine posted:

That's exactly what the Recluse does and the whole reason I have to remember to go in and turn down video particle effects to low every time I do a new install or a patch wipes out my options settings.

Fina posted:

I especially like the Tigerclaw because of how it rewards good aim with high damage.

I know the Arsenal has a few perks I'd like to unlock but I don't know if they're worth picking up the frame for.

I've played Recon and Raptor for a while but I can't say I'm enjoying them too much either.

So what's the deal with the Electron? I've heard it's less turret focused, more direct combat and buff focused which sounds nice, but I also heard it sucks which explains why it's so cheap on the marketplace.

If you liked the TC because it forces you to be a good shot, the Electron is very similar. The gun has a fantastic primary fire that is pinpoint accurate but not the longest range. Altfire is like the Tigerclaws alt-fire that was shrunk down a bit but it fires faster (doesn't charge), travels faster, and isn't nearly as frustrating.

Granted, the Electron tanks about as well as the Tigerclaw but without access to any of the mobility skills that the assaults get so I'd suggest installing the PTS and buying it there (it's 1rb) to see if you like it.

I'm a little confused why you like the accuracy of the TC but don't like the recons.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Apple Craft posted:

If you're running the Omnidyne events, you really should use one, as it can repair the transponders for crystal deposits.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Fina posted:

I've already played my Assault and Tigerclaw up to 40, all I have left to do with them is just grind for purps but I still really enjoy the assault way of fighting, being really mobile, jumping constantly and raining hell down on targets. I especially like the Tigerclaw because of how it rewards good aim with high damage.

I've considered Firecat since it's another Assault frame, but I'm not sure I'll care for the style of just making GBS threads AOE everywhere, but it may be the best fit for me when you take everything else into account.
I have both my tigerclaw and firecat at 40, and the difference in effectiveness for almost any task is massive. My firecat does maybe 10% less damage per hit, but does it to everything in sight. There's just no contest. At any rate, if you don't like sniping, engineering, or dreads, AoE is about the only other specialization Firefall has for you.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

I've been looking at picking up an advanced frame but I can't decide what to get.
My Tigerclaw is my main frame too, so I know how you feel. You should try out the Nighthawk on the PTS and see how that feels. I have had a tremendous amount of fun with it recently. It will probably be the next frame I reach 40 with. I was only going to reach 30 with it and move on to my next sub-30 frame, but I kept using it and now I'm at level 34. You can quick-scope with it without any trouble at all. Place your cursor over the enemy, then quickly scope in and fire. Perfect accuracy. I will usually run right into the thick of things and just blast everything away.

I use the remote explosive ability (awesome AoE), smoke grenade (or whatever it is called), and I currently use SIN Beacon (the one that increases damage to enemies by 20%). There are other fun Recon abilities that you can use too.

In my opinion, people using the Nighthawk to snipe from a distance are missing out on half the fun. Shove that rifle in the face of the nearest monster and blow them away.

Also, the Electron is pretty bad. I don't mind the weapon that much (but it is still kind of bad. Slow firing hit-scan weapon without a scope), but all of its abilities are just so lackluster to me. The boomerang shot ability is difficult to aim with and doesn't do that much damage. Bulwark is a very nice shield and is probably the best thing going for it. Overclocking Station has no benefit to you whatsoever, so you will have to get rid of it for something useful. The HKM is pretty awesome, though.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
So is kinetic shot just a terrible ability? I got an epic level 40 from a random bandit crate, and figured it could be useful on the raids for high single target damage. Boy was I wrong. I tested it on some mobs at the farthest range I could manage, and it did less damage than a shot from my crossbow, despite having blue mods in it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bait and Swatch posted:

So is kinetic shot just a terrible ability? I got an epic level 40 from a random bandit crate, and figured it could be useful on the raids for high single target damage. Boy was I wrong. I tested it on some mobs at the farthest range I could manage, and it did less damage than a shot from my crossbow, despite having blue mods in it.
I have never, ever liked Kinetic Shot. Hell, I replaced it so long ago that I forgot it was a default Recluse ability. It is never good, so replace it asap. I use Poison Trail, but Poison Ball would be a good one to use.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KS is real bad. I use Creeping Death and Poison Ball. Poison Trail is great but I don't like having to get so close.

Evacuate+Creeping Death while airborne+endless alt fire spam is drat near all you'll ever need, except maybe a good AR for single target stuff while leveling up

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Doodles posted:

If you're running the Omnidyne events, you really should use one, as it can repair the transponders for crystal deposits.

I really disagree here, having the ability to just blow everything right the gently caress up and having to occasionally restart some poo poo will be far more entertaining and far less tedious than the alternative. If you really want poo poo repaired that's what sentinel pods and pubbies are for.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Epic High Five posted:

KS is real bad. I use Creeping Death and Poison Ball. Poison Trail is great but I don't like having to get so close.

Evacuate+Creeping Death while airborne+endless alt fire spam is drat near all you'll ever need, except maybe a good AR for single target stuff while leveling up

That's the standard build I use, I just decided to try out the purple KS I found. It just seems to be the most worthless ability in the game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's the standard build I use, I just decided to try out the purple KS I found. It just seems to be the most worthless ability in the game.

I think energy wall would like to have a word with you.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

xxEightxx posted:

I think energy wall would like to have a word with you.

Bombs Away says hello!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Morglon posted:

Well that's a bit harsh

Wait. I changed my mind

It's not harsh. Recluse ruins everything.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Zephyrine posted:

Wait. I changed my mind

How do you like thermal wave for pve?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Zephyrine posted:

Wait. I changed my mind

Yeah but it will only make your vision go black and white and really it won't matter for most classes anyway since they can just stand outside the clouds and shoot in. Also they stay around for like four seconds so unless you're standing in a spot where a Recluse is compelled to shoot for long periods of time it'll never be a problem.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

xxEightxx posted:

How do you like thermal wave for pve?

Fine I guess.

Crater + Burn Jets and then throwing Thermal wave while hovering seems to work well so far.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Zephyrine posted:

Fine I guess.

Crater + Burn Jets and then throwing Thermal wave while hovering seems to work well so far.

Does the energy drain portion of thermal wave affect anything in PvE?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

Does the energy drain portion of thermal wave affect anything in PvE?

No, PvE mobs can't fly, even the flying ones can't. They just hover at a set height above ground. So no energy.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Morglon posted:

No, PvE mobs can't fly, even the flying ones can't. They just hover at a set height above ground. So no energy.

Nuts, was hoping energy fueled their attacks or something.

ninja ed: also is the hover height always the same, and do we know what it is? Was always curious about this for aoe attacks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

xxEightxx posted:

Nuts, was hoping energy fueled their attacks or something.

ninja ed: also is the hover height always the same, and do we know what it is? Was always curious about this for aoe attacks.

For enemies?

They hover at different heights as far as I've seen.

I've seen multiple "wasps" hovering and as I drove towards them with the car. The ones at lower altitude exploded on the wind shield while others remained in the air.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Flyers tend to vary between I'd guess 1.5m to 4m? in altitude off the ground. Some of the higher up ones you've gotta jump to be able to melee them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Wulfling posted:

Flyers tend to vary between I'd guess 1.5m to 4m? in altitude off the ground. Some of the higher up ones you've gotta jump to be able to melee them.

Sounds about right.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I've seen Culex stack up on top of each other, in towers three or four high, each hovering a set height above the one below.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Nalin posted:

I made an update to the KearnyTransit addon that adds most of the instances you could care about. If you hate trying to get to or leave Devil's Tusk, consider installing this.
This really deserves to be in the OP. It's an amazing timesaver.

Zephyrine posted:

Wait. I changed my mind

How can you not have afterburners slotted? If it weren't for my jump pad I'd barely be able to stand playing non-assault classes due to that ability alone.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Has anyone bought the reusable jump pad? For 50 beans it doesn't seem that bad. I played with some guy who just placed them down endlessly and it seemed like a massive boon for afterburner-less classes. What's the cooldown like on that thing?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Fina posted:

Has anyone bought the reusable jump pad? For 50 beans it doesn't seem that bad. I played with some guy who just placed them down endlessly and it seemed like a massive boon for afterburner-less classes. What's the cooldown like on that thing?

A second. With a short amount of practice it will be your only travel power, so to speak. Probably the best bang for you buck on the red bean market.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Morglon posted:

I really disagree here, having the ability to just blow everything right the gently caress up and having to occasionally restart some poo poo will be far more entertaining and far less tedious than the alternative. If you really want poo poo repaired that's what sentinel pods and pubbies are for.
Pubbies are such poo poo at everything else, I can't trust them to keep the transponders up. I can't even trust them to keep ME up. And there's more transponders than I have sentinel pods for. It's faster to run the event if you keep the things from breaking, and the less time I have things shooting at me, the better.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ralith posted:

This really deserves to be in the OP. It's an amazing timesaver.
I did place it in the op! And I also removed Rein, because Lemon King abandoned it, and it doesn't work anymore.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Is there a vendor in DT that sells L40 blue shield walls?

Fina posted:

It's so amazing that it'll probably get nerfed before too long.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Ok now that I'm starting to "get" this game I'd like to play with goons. Since this toxic event is ending soon it'd be cool to grind out some vouchers. I added a bunch of folks from the OP for an army invite, I also am hanging out in CTS. Name is Wexia

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?

Lord Wexia posted:

Ok now that I'm starting to "get" this game I'd like to play with goons. Since this toxic event is ending soon it'd be cool to grind out some vouchers. I added a bunch of folks from the OP for an army invite, I also am hanging out in CTS. Name is Wexia

Awesome! We need more goons in mumble for shenanigans. On a bit of a side note, I recently discovered that you can throw parts for the crashed thumper instead of running over and touching it, makes things a bit faster for leveling 1-10. Also, if you have 4-5k credits laying around, the 7-day VIP boost is really cheap on the market now. You can easily make the credits you spend on it back in the first 3 days, and that 25% xp boost can be stacked with other boosts making leveling really simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CaptainCanada posted:

Awesome! We need more goons in mumble for shenanigans. On a bit of a side note, I recently discovered that you can throw parts for the crashed thumper instead of running over and touching it, makes things a bit faster for leveling 1-10. Also, if you have 4-5k credits laying around, the 7-day VIP boost is really cheap on the market now. You can easily make the credits you spend on it back in the first 3 days, and that 25% xp boost can be stacked with other boosts making leveling really simple

People have been throwing these things for ages, I'm surprised nobody told you. Also the week VIP costs 400 beans, meaning 4k credits. Meaning the price on the market place right now is stupid high because pubbies are dumb and will buy it anyway rather than exchange credits and buy from the store.

• Locked thread