Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

These Loving Eyes posted:

My copy of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection found its way in to my mail box, and now I'm wondering if there is anything I should know about... MGS3: Snake Eater

Waving the chloroform handkerchief in front of you is hilariously broken in hand-to-hand boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

These Loving Eyes posted:

Thanks for all the replies! I'm already four hours into Sons of Liberty, and while the gameplay is clunky at times, I've been fully enjoying it, warts and all.

For MGS2, there's no benefit to playing 100% nonlethal other then bragging rights. You unlock the secret stuff by collecting the dogtags.

Also, if somehow you've remained unspoiled on the plot of Sons of Liberty, please post a trip report in the MGS megathread as soon as you finish the game with your immediate impressions. I love reading peoples reactions to MGS2, especially if they have no idea what's coming.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Pneub posted:

Waving the chloroform handkerchief in front of you is hilariously broken in hand-to-hand boss fights.

Careful not to do it 3 times in a row, but this is good advice.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Anything for Kid Icarus: Uprising? Should I invest in a wrist brace like my friend suggested?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Anything for Wargame: European Escalation?

Just singleplayer not interested in multiplayer. 1st tutorial mission was pretty easy with no losses but there's so many enemies with ATGMs on the second map that I'm not quite sure what to do, or if I need to suck it up and take the losses.

General beginners strategy tips for the game welcome!

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Alris posted:

Anything for Kid Icarus: Uprising? Should I invest in a wrist brace like my friend suggested?

I'd recommend assigning movement to the stick, turning to the face buttons, items/zoom to the D-pad and aiming to the touchscreen, then turn auto-shoot and auto-aim-toward-enemies-that-have-the-drop-on-you to ON. It's not perfect, since turning and shooting (or strafing/running and shooting if you're left-handed) simultaneously is very difficult, but it's the best scheme I've found.

Also try out each weapon type and see which ones you like. Weapon skills will make a bit of difference, but the basic types are what really determine how you'll play.

Finally, the game is not hugely difficult, especially at base difficulty, but you'll want to bring along the Heal skill just in case. Some levels can be barren of piles of fruit and meat.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Pneub posted:

I love that I never thought of this

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

just found that I have a copy of neverwinter nights 2 lying around that I never played, so (given that I will be going through OC and MotB):

any builds/classes/combinations that are particularly fun to play? I usually go with casters in this type of game, but if there's some melee build that's extraordinarily fun that's fine too.
I'm familiar with AD&D and 3.0, but I've never played 3.5, so maybe something that's new to 3.5? warlocks would fit I guess, but I dunno if they are any fun to play - hard to tell from the description
Complete munchkin builds are fine with me as long as they're fun and don't require like 15 levels of incredibly boring sniping and AI abusing (you know, Kensai/Mage from BG2 type builds). I just wanna blow stuff up and solve some quests and whatnot

any other tips that are not on the beforeiplay page? any highly recommended modules?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

L. Ron Mexico posted:

just found that I have a copy of neverwinter nights 2 lying around that I never played, so (given that I will be going through OC and MotB):

any builds/classes/combinations that are particularly fun to play? I usually go with casters in this type of game, but if there's some melee build that's extraordinarily fun that's fine too.
I'm familiar with AD&D and 3.0, but I've never played 3.5, so maybe something that's new to 3.5? warlocks would fit I guess, but I dunno if they are any fun to play - hard to tell from the description
Complete munchkin builds are fine with me as long as they're fun and don't require like 15 levels of incredibly boring sniping and AI abusing (you know, Kensai/Mage from BG2 type builds). I just wanna blow stuff up and solve some quests and whatnot

any other tips that are not on the beforeiplay page? any highly recommended modules?

Cleric is still the king in 3.5. You get tons of cool spells, and can buff yourself to be a front-line fighter as well. For the little while I tried a Warlock, I found it a bit disappointing. For the most time, I was just spamming Eldritch Blast. Since it's a ranged touch attack, you have to pump dex a lot in addition to other stats, so you're kind of locked in statwise.

Casters are a good choice, since when you get to MotB, you really get a chance to mess around with the metamagic feats. Having stuff like 24h haste is really convenient. You can also easily fine tune for a specific encounter. About a dozen slots of instantly castable fire spells can really ruin a mummy lord's day, for example.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Clerics are always a solid choice for NWN 2, the class is very powerful, you can do both melee and spells, and the sole cleric companion in the OC comes very late and is uninteresting to boot. There are some AI mods and whatnot, but I can't recall their names offhand. Either way, you should go through your companions' behavior settings and set them to your liking.

The game gets better as it goes and peaks in the expansion, so try to pull yourself through the early game orc caves and whatnot.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Be aware that many of the game's enemies are undead, so spells or items that don't affect the undead may not be particularly useful. That means poison, paralysis, charms, stunning, sleep, ability/energy drain, etc. Their immunity to critical hits is the big one though and is a problem for backstabbing thief builds. Not that you shouldn't still have these in the toolbox, but don't overly rely on them.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Making a Really Strong Fighter

Unlike most of the infinity engine games, straight up warriors are extremely powerful in NWN 2. Pure Fighter works really well, but where it really shines is when you start splashing in some prestige classes. Here's some ideas:

Red Dragon Disciple - This requires a level of Bard or Sorcerer (and a little bit of diverting skill points into lore early on), but rewards you with a number of useful abilities, the most important of which are AC and Str buffs. Between this and pumping your Str as you level, you can get your natural Str extremely high.

Weapon Master - This gives you a ton of bonuses to a single weapon, probably the most significant of which is the Ki Critical feat which doubles the crit range on a weapon (so if you have a weapon that can crit on a 19-20, this increases it to 17-20). It's strong with pretty much anything, but if you really want to game the system, go with either Falchion (with Ki critical, it will crit on a 13-20) or Scythe (it has a 5x crit multiplier). Falchion would probably be the better choice since Scythe crits tend to be more overkill than anything else (Unless you plan on grabbing the scythe from the last boss of Mask of the Betrayer and using that elsewhere).

Frenzied Berzerker - These guys basically take a number of Fighter / Barbarian skills and give you enhanced versions of them. Supreme Power Attack is monstrous, giving you +24 damage with a 2h weapon while still only suffering the -6 to hit of Improved Power Attack. Supreme Cleave lets you double attack a new target when you kill something, and Frenzy gives you a huge (+6) bonus to your Str and Con in exchange for some mild penalties.

So basically, if you want to make a real killing machine grab 4-5 levels of Fighter to meet the reqs of the prestige class you want, then take 10 levels in any two of the above. They all have great synergy, you start out very effective and just keep getting better as you level, and you wind up as an absolute killing machine once you're in your mid 20s and you've maxed out 2 of them. Personally, I like RDD and Weapon Master, but any combination will work extremely well.

Stuff to Avoid

While you can get through the game with anything, I feel these are pretty weak:

Archers - Non-magical ranged combat is really weak in general in NWN2, and while Arcane Archer helps a bit with this, it's just never as good as going melee / spell based.

Warlocks - Warlocks are a neat idea which I don't think works very well. Once you get into your final tier of spells in your late teens you start getting some good stuff, but even then you won't have the raw offence of an arcane caster, the survivability of a cleric, and you'll have spent the majority of your career really under performing. If you really want to play one badly, do yourself a favour and cheat in a level or two of the Epic Edlritch Blast feat so you aren't doing pathetic damage the whole time.

Good Mods

Honestly (and I think you can blame NWN2's horrible editor for this), there aren't a ton of good mods for NWN2. The best one I played was the Icewind Dale remake, which was fantastic. There is also a remake of Baldur's Gate, which I hear was good but I haven't played it.

Kind of on a side note, but when you get to Mask of the Betrayer, read Lt. Danger's awesome LP of it as you progress through the game after you finish. He really breaks down the themes at play in the game and touches on a ton of details that you might miss otherwise.

Silvergun1000 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

That is a fantastic LP but you should wait until you finish the game before reading it. But then you should totally read it (unless you want to do another playthrough first).

Also, warlocks are fine. I always found clerics boring, but a mage or sorceror is always fun (monk is good too).

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Gaggins posted:

That is a fantastic LP but you should wait until you finish the game before reading it. But then you should totally read it (unless you want to do another playthrough first).

Also, warlocks are fine. I always found clerics boring, but a mage or sorceror is always fun (monk is good too).

Yeah, on second thought you're probably right, following along with an LP is a lot easier said than done.

I really don't agree on Warlocks though, you basically have a class that has unlimited uses of some really weak skills. If resource management was more of a concern they could work but pretty much anything outperforms them with how the game actually works.

Silvergun1000 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 7, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gaggins posted:

The thing is that you're going to have a mage or sorcerer or even both available to you throughout most of the game anyway, whereas you'll have to go through a large chunk (most?) of the OC without a cleric. And even then you'll have to replace a more interesting character, which means literally anyone else, to make space for them.

I'm pretty sure I ended up with a Cleric/Frenzied Berserker and I recall it being pretty rad.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah but you don't need a cleric. Healing kits are plentiful and you can rest almost anywhere. Clerics have boring spells for the most part, and buffing yourself constantly is really time consuming and rarely makes much of a difference (you slaughter the enemy instead of just beating them).

Clerics can be good too, I've just played through as one and it was not great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I picked up The Last of Us Remastered and I read the tips on the wiki, and they're great, but I'm just wondering if there are any particular must-haves when it comes to weapon upgrades? I picked up the scope for the rifle, but all the rest of the upgrades for the rest of the guns all seem equally useful at this point, I'm kind of paralyzed by indecision.

It also looks like there are two guns I haven't unlocked yet (if the upgrade screen is any indication) so I'm wondering if I should be saving my parts for those. Since this game seems to be all about resource management, I assume I don't want to waste my parts.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked up The Last of Us Remastered and I read the tips on the wiki, and they're great, but I'm just wondering if there are any particular must-haves when it comes to weapon upgrades? I picked up the scope for the rifle, but all the rest of the upgrades for the rest of the guns all seem equally useful at this point, I'm kind of paralyzed by indecision.

It also looks like there are two guns I haven't unlocked yet (if the upgrade screen is any indication) so I'm wondering if I should be saving my parts for those. Since this game seems to be all about resource management, I assume I don't want to waste my parts.

Personally, I'd highly recommend upgrading the bow as much as you can, since, if you're anything like me, you'll be relying on it heavily for stealth kills. The armour-piercing mod for the rifle makes a few sections towards the end easy as hell too.

Generally, upgrading ammo capacity and recoil reduction is a good idea. You won't be able to upgrade everything til NG+, so honestly, go with whatever guns you find yourself using the most.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I recall, the two weapons you're thinking of are found about 3/4 through and the other near the end of the game and for story reasons you won't even have access to it for very long. So don't scrimp, spend.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Personally, I'd highly recommend upgrading the bow as much as you can, since, if you're anything like me, you'll be relying on it heavily for stealth kills. The armour-piercing mod for the rifle makes a few sections towards the end easy as hell too.

Generally, upgrading ammo capacity and recoil reduction is a good idea. You won't be able to upgrade everything til NG+, so honestly, go with whatever guns you find yourself using the most.

al-azad posted:

If I recall, the two weapons you're thinking of are found about 3/4 through and the other near the end of the game and for story reasons you won't even have access to it for very long. So don't scrimp, spend.

Makes sense. I figured it would be a "just upgrade whatever you're using whenever you find a bench" situation but the game did pull a pretty dickish "sorry if you spent all your parts at that first bench because if you waited until you hit the second you could build some super useful holsters" move early on, so I wanted to check and see if anything else like that was going to come up!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up Rising Dead 3... What should I need to know? I got the PC Apocalypse edition and it looks like I can just grab whatever badass weapon from weapon lockers without consequence. This seems wrong? I dunno.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

I just picked up Rising Dead 3... What should I need to know? I got the PC Apocalypse edition and it looks like I can just grab whatever badass weapon from weapon lockers without consequence. This seems wrong? I dunno.

Any item you've ever picked up is in lockers. Any combo item you've ever built is in the lockers.

Food is the one exception to this rule but the combo item made with a keg+construction hat is not. BUILD IT ASAP.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

The little chunky-bar at the bottom when you're in the locker menu is how much, I dunno, locker energy? You've got to spend. So combo weapons use about as much as two individual items, super-combos are like two combos put together, etc.

All you super-need-to-know is that they don't really explain it well in the skills is: picking up the icon for a category lets you sub anything in that category for anything else in recipes. Which can get real nasty when mid-game you can take any two guns and slam them into one of the best ranged weapons in the game. Oh and it should be obvious but taking Smarts early (for the PP gain boosts) is a great idea.

Also-also, if it's on PC, save BEFORE you access the survivor board in safehouses, especially if you've got people following you. It locks up sometimes and then you're at the mercy of your most recent autosave.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember modding Neverwinter Nights 2 in two ways, but I don't remember how I did it. First, I doubled my runspeed. Yeah your companions lag behind but trust me there's a lot of running around back and forth. Second, I made it so you could rest anywhere. In the end I was just running back to restable areas anyway, so I decided to cut down on the tedium.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

You already can rest anywhere though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I remember correctly, there were some restrictions, like how close the monsters are. To heck with those, just means I have to run away to rest.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

That mod is really unnecessary, NWN2 is incredibly generous about when you can rest. Pretty much the only restriction is "not fighting this exact moment," and its a 5 second timer.

edit: OH YEAH before I forget, DO NOT keep one save file that you keep saving over. This will often cause a late game bug where the map doesn't display the area you need to go to, effectively stranding you and preventing you from completing the game. Instead, make a new save file each time you save. Found that one out the fun way.

Stexils fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 8, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Keeping multiple saves is pretty much the most basic RPG rule. That said I highly doubt you need to make a new save EVERY time, otherwise everyone would've hit that bug and I've never heard of it myself.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I have a question for Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. I see that the entry in beforeiplay.com says to keep some scrolls, garnets, corpse galls and love letters. Am I safe to sell all the other junk I collect that aren't crafting agents or gifts? E.g. Sapphires, goblets, etc.?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vidaeus posted:

I have a question for Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. I see that the entry in beforeiplay.com says to keep some scrolls, garnets, corpse galls and love letters. Am I safe to sell all the other junk I collect that aren't crafting agents or gifts? E.g. Sapphires, goblets, etc.?

Yeah.

Those items mentioned are for minor sidequests, so it's not a game-ending disaster if you do get rid of them (or miss them) either.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My roommate lent me his copy of Bioshock Infinite and I've played it up to the point of meeting Elizabeth and getting ambushed at the ticket station. I feel like I've got a decent grip on it, but here's a few questions to verify if all the same tropes from the first game are present:

-Whenever I get the chance to boost health, shields or plasmidsvigors, I'm just going straight shields so far. The one that regenerates on its own seems like the best bet, but tell me if I'm loving myself.
-Like the wrench, is the sky-hook pretty much the go-to for effortless slaughter? It seems that way thus far, where nearly every fight has devolved into me trying to retreat from gunfire into a tiny alcove, a half dozen guys charging me, me beating them to death and then walking out and lazily picking off the ones with guns that are hanging back.
-Since I can only keep two vigors and two weapons, which ones suck? So far I regret swapping fire for crows and can see no way to change back.
-Similarly, I dumped the machine-gun for the shotgun. A good move?
-Is the game going to be filled with ~moral choices~ where being evil is actively detrimental, a la the first one, or can I just do whatever? So far I've been avoiding harming anyone that isn't actively attacking me (the random people whose homes I break into, the interracial couple, etc) just to be safe, but I can't tell if the game cares or not.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

-Whenever I get the chance to boost health, shields or plasmidsvigors, I'm just going straight shields so far. The one that regenerates on its own seems like the best bet, but tell me if I'm loving myself.
-Like the wrench, is the sky-hook pretty much the go-to for effortless slaughter? It seems that way thus far, where nearly every fight has devolved into me trying to retreat from gunfire into a tiny alcove, a half dozen guys charging me, me beating them to death and then walking out and lazily picking off the ones with guns that are hanging back.
-Since I can only keep two vigors and two weapons, which ones suck? So far I regret swapping fire for crows and can see no way to change back.
-Is the game going to be filled with ~moral choices~ where being evil is actively detrimental, a la the first one, or can I just do whatever? So far I've been avoiding harming anyone that isn't actively attacking me (the random people whose homes I break into, the interracial couple, etc) just to be safe, but I can't tell if the game cares or not.

- Good plan.
- The skyrails are great for combat, especially with the right gear upgrades.
- There aren't really any bad vigors, at least not with the upgrades.
- On the harder difficulties you have to swap around weapons a lot, based on ammo availability. I remember using the shotgun a lot tohugh.
- Nope, do whatever you feel is right.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

My roommate lent me his copy of Bioshock Infinite and I've played it up to the point of meeting Elizabeth and getting ambushed at the ticket station. I feel like I've got a decent grip on it, but here's a few questions to verify if all the same tropes from the first game are present:

1. I personally maxed out salts so I could spam vigors but it doesn't really matter, this is an easy game and every major fight will have a few tears that bring in near infinite health/salt.

2. The sky-hook isn't as good as the wrench. There are fewer enemies that get in your face mid-game. Eventually it reaches a point where you fight a large number of enemies from afar and you also encounter lots of robots and big bruisers with AoE attacks that will push your poo poo in if you get in their face.

3. I don't think the game ever communicates this but you swap vigors by holding down the vigor swap button. It brings up a radial menu. Yeah. Murder of crows starts off bad but upgrades into a long duration stun and turns killed enemies into proximity mines. This game turns into Scripted Shooter Arena near the end so it's a good vigor to upgrade. All of the vigors are actually really useful, they just come into their own at different points in the game. Possession is probably my all around favorite because turrets suck and regular enemies die when it ends.

4. Shotgun is the best "common weapon" in the game. As I said above, most of the combat turns into battle arenas with plenty of opportunities to swap your weapons. If the game wants you to use something, it will offer it in a convenient location.

5. No moral choices at all, this game is linear as gently caress shoot everything pew pew pew. There's a single choice that makes Elizabeth pout for thirty minutes but this isn't like any of the Shock games before it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Crows are also surprisingly effective against Handymen.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I picked up Persona 4 for the Vita recently. I'm playing it on hard because I seem to recall someone saying that it's a good idea. Apart from the three-month wait to actually get to the goddamn dungeons, is there anything else that I should know?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flint_Paper posted:

I picked up Persona 4 for the Vita recently. I'm playing it on hard because I seem to recall someone saying that it's a good idea. Apart from the three-month wait to actually get to the goddamn dungeons, is there anything else that I should know?

Naaah, the first dungeon opens after like 2 weeks. And enjoy your time off because the dungeons are super long and I wish the game was just 100% hanging out with friends and fishing like an anime high school Animal Crossing.

I'm sure somebody could go in depth in the actual systems but I'll mention things I wish I knew from the beginning. If you want to experience the game naturally then ignore this whole post but I like to get the most out of a single play.

-Whenever it's raining you should always eat at Aisha and read at night. Eating at Aisha in the rain bumps 3 random stats and reading/studying during the rain has a high chance of increasing knowledge regardless what you're reading.

-If you want to min/max s-rank then talk to anybody whenever the game says "you feel like you're going to become closer..." If you're not going to become closer then you're not going to see an event, just get points going towards that event. Do this if you have no other options but this is a good way to balance out all your s-links.

-Pertaining to the above, there are several ways to get general points without wasting an entire day talking to someone. This includes making them lunch (whenever Nanako stocks the fridge), getting in the top 10 on exams, talking to them at night, and examining the shrine after a certain point.

-Furthermore, when Nanako and Dojima are both at home but you can't advance with either of them yet you should maintain the garden once you get it unless you have some other pressing matter.

-There's a woman in white who randomly appears at the shrine (I don't know if she's on specific days). She gives you jewels for fish which can be traded to the night club for good equipment. I didn't know about her until halfway through the game and the jewels you get from monster drops don't unlock the higher tier goods, you have to fish.

-The hospital job has two s-links. You unlock the nurse after the second visit I believe and eventually you get someone else.

-When you unlock the channel, be sure to watch Tanaka on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday. He sells one piece of amazing equipment and a bunch of lovely common items so always buy the amazing equipment. Save before you watch the channel! If you choose not to buy anything because you're broke then he says he sold out and you get nothing. But lets say if you go to the dungeon on Sunday to get money you can watch his channel on Monday to buy his stuff.

-Talking to the Fox initiates a quest, it does't spend time. Turning in the quest advances time. I didn't know this until summer break because I had other people I wanted to talk. Because the school is closed for summer I had to wait. The Fox basically offers an inn service during dungeons for a shitload of money but each rank reduces this cost by 5 yen. Even 5 ranks makes dungeons a breeze as you have a point to fill up and heal for nothing.

-Getting s-link for your allies gives them helpful abilities but your allies are basically available for the whole game. Nanako, Dojima, and Adachi essentially become unavailable at the end of the year and you need to max Marie in the same time frame if you want the bonus dungeon so try not to neglect these characters. The experience bonus for fusing personae is really helpful.

-Before going to a dungeon talk to people to load up on quests. It's pointless wasting days going back to the dungeon to complete individual quests as the rewards aren't very good. And if you're not having fun doing the quests then just ignore them, the rewards are seriously lackluster.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Flint_Paper posted:

Have you played any of the other Persona titles (or other Atlus RPG's?) before? If not, I'd say Normal difficulty is best.

Two pieces of general advice:

Fuse new personas regularly. Using them for too long will make the game really, really difficult as they get outclassed by the enemies you encounter. Don't worry about messing up fusions--you can re-summon any that you've acquired by selecting them in the compendium (for a fee).

Unlike most other RPG's, status buffs and debuffs are critically important in this game. You really need to work them into your strategy, even against bosses.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wolfsheim posted:

If you get the Blood to Salts gear, you can essentially spam vigours all the time. It also makes the game incredibly easy, so watch out for that.

As for good vigours, electricity was my go-to from start to finish. Upgraded, it lets you electrocute entire waves and pop heads with impunity. If you throw multiple traps, lightning arcs between them, causing even more fun. It's basically the best plasmid in the game.

And with weapons, you're going to be going through feast-or-famine periods with all of them. I think the shotgun, carbine, pistol and machine gun are the most plentiful, so you'll really want to get used to them. Upgrading them (maybe bar the pistol) should probably be your priority as well, simply based on how plentiful they are. I'd also upgrade the hand cannon as well, but that's just because the thing's so drat powerful, it can one-shot anything bar endgame enemies with an upgrade.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Flint_Paper posted:

The most "difficult" part of a given first time run in Persona 4 is trying to balance your S. Links. If you try to max all of them you're in for a world of hurt and it won't likely be as fun. So you need to know which ones to prioritize above all else; most of everything else I think you'll be able to pick up on the fly.

My advice? Completely skip Death, Moon, and Hanged Man. Keep everything else around the same level, with a slight priority towards your party members and the Hermit link. You should now have more time than you know what to do with and should max out all of your social stats by keeping Temperance, Sun, and Strength up to par. Then max out everything on NG+. And don't forget to visit the shrine at night to beef up any Links that are on the verge of leveling up; after getting Hermit to level 1 you have to talk to the old man in the daytime at the shrine to unlock it I believe.

Jester is a really great story S. Link that's going to be hard to max because his schedule is so erratic. I would give him the highest priority on any given day no matter what else is going on. Once you hit level 6 you don't have to worry about him anymore, although there will be a plot scene near the end of the game where the game asks if you want to go out and meet him to which you must say "Yes" to complete the link.

Buy out every can of TaP Soda every week to alleviate SP woes in dungeons.

Finally, it's in your best interest to both unlock dungeons ASAP (the parts where you go around trying to get clues about the person thrown into the dungeon) and finish them in one day. The former is important because your party members and other links like Jester and Hierophant won't be available, and the latter is so that you maximize the number of days for S. Links. It's going to be very hard to finish the first two dungeons in one try, but it should absolutely be feasible from the third on. Hell even the second one isn't too bad if you buy a lot of TaP Soda.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Persona 4 on hard for a first timer? No access to save states? Unless you really can't get enough of it I'd say there's a very good chance that you aren't going to finish this game. You are probably going to lose hours of progress at least once at some point on normal, certainly multiple times on hard.