Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Magic pigeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AxeManiac posted:

We end the season in the other world where everyone has to deal with 98% of the population disappearing.

:tviv:

Yeah, like a parallel world?

But that would be a WAY different world post-rapture than the other one. Our modern world can deal with 2% of people going missing, but 98% would be devastating.

Basic services would break down in like a week and then everything would be quite bleak. Kinda like the show uptil now ... :getin:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Losing 98%, the world economy would cease to exist and I imagine the remaining 2% would die off pretty quickly as a result of things like food supply, oil supply, and access to medical resources being cut off in the first few days and weeks following the Rapture. They'd be wishing they were taken/not-taken.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really hope these images are an indication of where the show is going.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Semen Arsonist posted:

was it ever explained how the priest won gambling?

I'd bet good money that every "Was This Magic/Telepathy/Divine Providence/etc?" question will not be definitively answered. At this point, someone ought to make a list. Wayne's Hugs, Asian babies, Father's invisible friends, National Geographic, Patty's soothsaying. Just go full LOST with it.

And good lord, those pictures are eerie.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 7, 2014

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Where can i find all these pictures? They are interesting to say the least.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

brylcreem posted:

:tviv:

Yeah, like a parallel world?

But that would be a WAY different world post-rapture than the other one. Our modern world can deal with 2% of people going missing, but 98% would be devastating.

Basic services would break down in like a week and then everything would be quite bleak. Kinda like the show uptil now ... :getin:

It would basically be TWD without the zomboids.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

frenchnewwave posted:

They've been posting them all season on Facebook, not sure if they're anywhere else. Just Y and Z left, maybe they'll post them tonight after some game changer happens in the finale.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

frenchnewwave posted:

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/2014/7/4/abcs-of-the-sudden-departure

They're all here on the HBO site.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Y and Z is up, that would make a neat little book, that art is great.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

thathonkey posted:

Losing 98%, the world economy would cease to exist and I imagine the remaining 2% would die off pretty quickly as a result of things like food supply, oil supply, and access to medical resources being cut off in the first few days and weeks following the Rapture. They'd be wishing they were taken/not-taken.

People wouldn't just die off. We know that at some point in history the total human population was around 10,000. For comparison, 2% of just the population of New York City would still be almost 170,000. It'd be pretty bad, but people would figure out a way to get by.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Invalid Validation posted:

Y and Z is up, that would make a neat little book, that art is great.

What's up with Yemen? I'm intrigued

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's some sort of war happening there that the US is involved in. Patti mentions that Gladys' son died in Yemen.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

thathonkey posted:

Well, except for native people who already live off the land in poor and rural areas. The world would be reset for sure, but the bigger problem would be the unmanned nuclear plants and all the planes in the sky and man, that would be a horror show for real. Doctors leaving mid operation, little baby fetuses falling to the ground because their mothers disappeared, nobody left to shoot dogs. I don't want to think about that terrible world.

Those ABC pictures are awesome.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Christ, this thread has been trying to answer that question after every single episode that's aired. I personally think this show is great.

Caught up right before the finale; want to talk about whether the show is good or not again. (It's great and you should tell your friends.)

I think one of the main reasons--and no one for whom this applies will ever admit this--that so many tv reviewers and watchers couldn't get on board is because no one in the show gets to be a "badass." Almost every other prestige drama I can think of has some character most of the viewers would kind of like to imagine themselves being (at least in part, no matter how "flawed"). And that character acts as a driving narrative force, taking the viewer along for the ride. But who the hell would want to be Kevin Garvey (slow, confused, *emasculated*), the show's nod to the trope?

If this has already been discussed to death, apologies. But that's the main thing I can think of. (That, and that one of the things the show is primarily about is sadness/grief (as others have observed), and many people just don't want that in their television. I mean, I guess I'm not sure exactly why I do, either, but the characters and their broken world are still compelling to me. Even if I still don't care about the Guilty Remnant.)

I kinda hope Lindelof was burned enough by the Lost criticism that he doesn't make me regret the decision to take this ride with him, though. I'm willing to go without precision-instrument narrative compulsion; I'm not willing to go without thematic or narrative cohesion, period. But thematically, the show has already operated well enough to earn some trust.

VVV edit: yeah. And, I mean, it's not like Lindelof actually deserves all the personal attacks/derision thrown his way for Lost. It was just a show, and sometimes those don't work out the way viewers would like. But Lost didn't work for me, either, and I do think the Leftovers needs to (and does) operate on a different level.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2014

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope he gets redeemed with this show. The amount of bullshit that gets thrown at Lindelof and the show for some wrong leftover (pun intended) from Lost is staggering. It's a good show and nobody is forcing anybody to watch.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's an excellent character drama full of bold plotting, cohesive worldbuilding and clever revelations in its debut season and I have yet to read a legitimate criticism of it that isn't someone transparently projecting their anger that it isn't "lost part 2, but with swears".

The closest I've seen to an understandable gripe is that it's so relentlessly depressing by nature, and a lot of people can't take that in their television just like many people who can't handle cringe comedies.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's an excellent character drama full of bold plotting, cohesive worldbuilding and clever revelations in its debut season and I have yet to read a legitimate criticism of it that isn't someone transparently projecting their anger that it isn't "lost part 2, but with swears".

What's funny is that it does feel like "lost part 2, but with swears" to me, only it's a bit more honest about what it is prioritizing. It's not teasing along some bullshit hatch all season, which is a good idea if the writers have no intention of making the hatch be the focus of the show long-term. It feels a lot more upfront about the fact that the characters and not the mystery are what we should be paying attention to.

Disclaimer: I loved Lost, the hatch, and even if I recognize the ending as flawed I still enjoyed it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I thought most people hated this show because they hated Lindelof and were afraid he'd just make Lost all over again? It's getting hard to keep track of the reasons I should ignore anyone who has a different opinion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The closest I've seen to an understandable gripe is that it's so relentlessly depressing by nature, and a lot of people can't take that in their television just like many people who can't handle cringe comedies.

This show is absolutely the spiritual successor to LOST.

LOST really hosed up a lot of people.

Paradoxish posted:

I thought most people hated this show because they hated Lindelof and were afraid he'd just make Lost all over again? It's getting hard to keep track of the reasons I should ignore anyone who has a different opinion.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
LOST really hosed up a lot of people.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I thought that last episode was the "greatest episode of lost" ever. Leftovers totally is a spiritual successor to Lost in the best of ways. People need to stop hating on Lindelof, but also he could stand to have just a TAD thicker skin about the criticism of Lost.

EnzoMafo
Jul 29, 2008
It's Tiger Woods/Don Cheadle/Donovan McNabb!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So is Garvey's daughter joining the Grave Remnant?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Wow, that was cold, leaving your prophet baby on the floor of a public rest room.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Not to sound like That Guy from every Game of Thrones thread but when the hell are they gonna put this up on HBO Go?

Edit: it's up now

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Ok, poo poo is going down now, and I'm liking it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nothing Else Matters is not what I thought I'd hear on a Leftovers soundtrack.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

hemophilia posted:

Nothing Else Matters is not what I thought I'd hear on a Leftovers soundtrack.

Haunting version, I love it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
That was some hosed up poo poo from the GR. Make sense why they stole all those photos.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
drat. These dream sequences are loving amazing.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny in the background, nice.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

gently caress no....

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Looks like they bought the cheap models.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the orchestral cover of "Nothing Else Matters" during the GR's rustling is cracking me up goddamnit how can I/we take this seriously

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Oh dear. That is some hosed up poo poo

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Gr practicing self immolation.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Awwww dang. My crush, Nora, is dumping Theroux. :smith:

And I guess she is going to join the gr?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
OK, digging how they finished off the season. I was worried Nora was going to kill herself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
That was something I guess. I like a lot of stuff about this show, but they need to chill out with the slow motion, hyper-emotional music segments. The dramatic effect kinda wears off when you do it nine times in an episode.

• Locked thread