Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

seacat posted:

There's no one-size-fits all bullet for this situation. What did he get his degree in? What kind of employment hubs are in the area -- e.g. manufacturing, finance, government, etc.? What has he done differently than his peers (other than just not be a complete fuckup) to earn this increased responsibility?

We've recently got back in touch, so I'm a touch hazy on the exact details but will get more information from him on his actual working role. Unfortunately there's no real, obvious 'hub' for employment for him. He does work and was based at a large town near an airport, that has quite a lot of biz going on from that, but it'd be a bit of a hike every day. Other than that it's just looking for some kind of work that isn't physically insane - he has a condition that leave him tired some of the time, the long long hours at retail, especially midnight specials and the like, are beginning to grind him down. This being said he's coped with it well in his current job for quite a few years now.

That's a whole load of information to go on, I know, but if anyone who made the leap could weigh in I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Hey everyone, I'd like a little bit of feedback for an upcoming interview tomorrow. It's for an entry level substation technican apprenticeship position and I'm a bit anxious about it. I already passed their three competency tests with flying colors (basic lit/grammar/math, a mechanical concept, and a trig/Stoichiometry/basic electrical theory tests) and I'm interviewing tomorrow with their HR lady (already met and like a lot), their hiring manager/foreman, and superintendent. It's gonna be behavioral/hands on knowledge kinda interview which I'm pretty confident for...mostly I'm worried about some things I'm not sure I can totally control or mitigate.
#1 problem: I'm a chick. I know going in I'm probably gonna be the only chick in the state going for this job. I'm bigger (5'7") and stronger, I can lift 75lbs no problem and I'm fine with manual labor but I dunno if my sex is gonna gently caress me right out of the gate.
#2 problem: The guys I'm interviewing with I'm pretty sure are conservative in most all areas.The HR lady said nice jeans or khakis for the interview, so I've got khakis, navy blue polo, white cardigan, and brown flats to wear. I'm thinking no real makeup, no jewelry, and might take out my nose ring (simple stainless steel ring in the side) and the plugs in my ears, or else wearing my hair in a loose braid to cover my ears.
#3 problem: discussion on outside lifestyle, all the interviews I've done has had some component of hobbies questions. I was thinking of playing it safe and saying I like football, brewing beer, and bike riding (i do like those things!), and mitigating my feminine hobbies (knitting, cooking, etc). Also one of the guys went to my alma mater, is that worth talking about?

Mostly it's coming down to me thinking I should look/act as masculine and conservative as possible since this is hugely a male dominated workforce, is this the right way to go about it? Also, I want this job more than anything else in my entire life, it's almost my dream career, can I come off as TOO enthusiastic about it? I would do ANYTHING to get this dang job, I'm freaking out.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

I've been through several phone screens now (at least 10) and every one has asked me for an expected salary - and each person I talked to seemed really really confused and irritated that I didn't want to name a number. What do I do in these situations? Is it okay to ask for the budgeted/target salary for the position?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Susical posted:

I've been through several phone screens now (at least 10) and every one has asked me for an expected salary - and each person I talked to seemed really really confused and irritated that I didn't want to name a number. What do I do in these situations? Is it okay to ask for the budgeted/target salary for the position?

Yeah, it's generally a standoff to see who will name a number first. What to do depends on the company, the position, and how much bargaining power you have. At the phone screen stage though it's just to make sure you're not wasting each other's time over an absurd difference. Just looking on Indeed.com for my job title there are positions from 35K-105K which is a pretty wide range (job titles can be very misleading). Are you pretty comfortable estimating with what the positions you are applying should pay, +/- 10Kish?

Hard to give you more advice without knowing a little bit more about the positions. Indeed, glassdoor, etc., can give you at least rough figures.

IMO there's nothing wrong with asking an expected salary range "if you were hired", even this early in the process. However if they ask you what you are currently making that's a dick move and you should be very wary because it's either a case of clueless interviewing (bad) or them actively trying to pay you less than you deserve (very bad).

Also don't forget benefits weigh into the situation. My company unfortunately does not offer health insurance anymore and I make this well known to every person I interview, because apparently our HR lady who does the phone screens neglects to mention this minor fact. :P

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Susical posted:

I used to just say that without knowing the entire compensation package or full scope of the position I can't say what my target salary range is and then ask if they have a target range. It worked for me about 7/10 times.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I used to just say that without knowing the entire compensation package or full scope of the position I can't say what my target salary range is and then ask if they have a target range. It worked for me about 7/10 times.

What happened when it didn't work? Did you have a number in mind that you eventually told them?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Susical posted:

It's all part of the game for them to act annoyed/confused to try to buffalo you into giving a number first. Don't give in to it -- they know exactly what they're doing and I guarantee you most of the people they talk to won't give numbers first.

You can clearly say "there are way too many factors involved for me to give you a number at this stage". If they continue to insist, do what I said in the OP and provide a (ludicrously unrealistic) 'total comp' number.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I currently have an entry-level type admin job, but recently completed my masters and am looking for a job in my field.

The good news is I have an interview on Friday. The bad news is that I have had a 3-week trip to the UK in November scheduled for about 6 months. I'm travelling over to attend my graduation ceremony, see some family, and do a bit of travelling. My current position offers 3 weeks paid vacation, which I had planned on using.

I don't plan to bring this up in the interview, unless asked directly (my resume says my masters is "to be awarded December 2014"). Should I bring it up only if they offer my the position? I would be willing to take it as unpaid time off, or even do some work remotely while I'm away...

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this? How should I handle it?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Would it be wrong to ask to start after your vacation?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Claverjoe posted:

Would it be wrong to ask to start after your vacation?

I would have nothing against that, I just figured if they're hiring now they'd want someone to start now.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, you might want somebody more knowledgeable to weigh in, but wait until they make an offer and say "when can you start" and you can reply with "well, I have this major family vacation thing going on in November, how about after that? Or would you like for me to do training before and take unpaid leave and come back ready, I would be happy to do that."

I mean, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I haven't really had a corporate job either.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone here have experience with resume writing in Spanish? I'm thinking now is a good time to translate my resume into Spanish since after my current position in Panama I'll be looking to work here or in another Spanish speaking country. Would I just be able to translate it or would I does each country have their own take standards? Any other suggestions or potential issues?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Claverjoe posted:

Well, you might want somebody more knowledgeable to weigh in, but wait until they make an offer and say "when can you start" and you can reply with "well, I have this major family vacation thing going on in November, how about after that? Or would you like for me to do training before and take unpaid leave and come back ready, I would be happy to do that."

I mean, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I haven't really had a corporate job either.

I interviewed for a corporate job earlier this summer and they asked if I had vacation plans. They would have accommodated.

It all depends on how much they want you.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Good Canadian Boy posted:

So I created a "gimmicky" resume, which I prefer to think of as more visual and semi-non-traditional. I've shown it to a few people that are managers or do hirings and across the board everyone is intrigued and is neutral to very positive about it. I know it says not to post resumes, but I'm not really looking for comments on anything but the presentation of it.

I have a more traditional resume that I'm using for my career search of teaching positions, but this is the resume I created for lovely minimum wage jobs, serving jobs, that kind of junk, as I'm moving to a different city and need to find some work until I can get my career a go.

*IMPORTANT* This is just a screenshot. The actual resume is created in Illustrator and completely vector so it is scalable to any size and maintains clarity.

Thoughts?

Xandu posted:

It's very busy. You have a lot of experience, which is good, but I'm looking at it and having trouble even figuring out where to start reading.

edit: On a more general level, gimmicky resumes set you apart, and not necessarily in a good way.

seacat posted:

Look man as a piece of graphic art I commend it and I wish I could make stuff like that for my company's various documents, I don't even know how to draw a straight line in Photoshop. It's nice, not tacky, pretty pleasant to look at. But my advice as a (caveat: only 2 years experience so far) hiring manager is: do not do this.

I can't imagine it's any easier for job seekers in Canada than the US but this is just not the way to set yourself apart outside of a few niche fields. It falls in the same realm of stuff as sending chocolates to your interviewer and wasting your money on fancy resume paper. If I have a position over and I get 40 resumes for a position I want to go through them as quickly and fairly as possible to identify the top candidates. Which means a graphically boring but content filled 1 page resume will actually do you better. This thing would just confuse and frustrate me.

The content is where you need some work although it's far better than what I've seen from most fresh college grads. "A charismatic and organized professional ..." sentence means absolutely nothing. You just graduated from college, you're not a professional yet. Take that off. Take off everything from high school. Take out Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Apple OS/Windows OS from computer skills -- everyone with a college degree and a pulse should know the rough nuts & bolts of all those, it's implied.

Try to improve your bullet points, they're a little bland. I just did a quick scan and there are six instances of the word "Worked" in your experience/teaching placements sections. Obviously you worked there. What did you accomplish?

Also what kind of jobs are you actually applying for (presumably teaching)? Can't give a much more specific critique.

Sorry I'm not trying to be a dick or send you back to the drawing board. But unless it's graphic design or some other creative industry you're shooting for this will probably hurt you more than help.

this little bastard posted:

I'd recommend using LaTeX to write your resume because that way you just get a perfect format every time and just have to worry about content. There are a lot of templates on here: http://www.latextemplates.com/cat/curricula-vitae and you can edit it in your browser or download an editor for your computer. You can do the same thing with cover letters.

It sped up the process when I was applying, and helped me make some quality PDF resumes.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

That looks like a good format for a personal website, but it's a little too busy for a traditional paper resume.

I have a slightly non-traditional resume format to set mine apart but for the most part it's still a standard resume. Yours looks more like a flyer at first glance and if I saw it in a stack on a printer my first assumption may be that it's a piece of fax spam and to toss it without looking closer at it.

How is this now?
Click to View

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
First of all, obligatory announcement that this place owns so freakin' hard. I'm closing in on fifteen years and cannot count the ways in which the foums have helped me out, clarified some point, turned me onto something, steered me clear of something else, or just been an invaluable resource, to say nothing of the laughs.

Case in point: I'm 40, find myself at a career crossroads, and have to polish the resume and get cracking on a job search. Fumble around on LinkedIn for a couple minutes, browse a couple bullshitty blog posts...and then head to SA. Fast-forward ten minutes, I've read this really sharp first post with all sorts of killer advice, learned about the S.T.A.R. method holy poo poo, I knew there was someone with a solid resume service, found em in seconds and signed up, and that's rolling at about half the cost I expected with the coupon, and I'm full speed ahead in such a better position to nail this thing in seriously eight minutes...ehh uhh thanks SA. Again.

Anyway, couple of questions:

I've been in sales for over a decade and decided at the beginning of the year that I was done with it. The money's terrific and I love controlling my own income, but if I have to choose between that and stressing quota every thirty days...I'm done. The problem is that my resume is entirely sales from 2003 on. There are other facets I can emphasize (I'm in telecom selling voice/data solutions to businesses, so there are relationships to manage, the products are technical, i.e. I'm not selling luxury bath products or something), but the fact is that everything on my resume has been first and foremost a quota-bearing position. I can do my best to work around that from a resume standpoint, but that remains the bottom line.

Anyway, scored a job in an account management role that's perfect. Modest and easily attainable quota working upgrades for existing customers, no hunting/prospecting, basically single point of contact/support for a few hundred SMB and mid-market accounts. For me it's the perfect stepping stone out of sales, opening doors into all kinds of other departments (product, sales engineer, project mgt, marketing, you name it). I'm doing really well at it and they love me as an employee.

The problem is that a new VP came in last month and has enthusiastically been laying waste to the current structure. Today half of my ten-member team got offered either termination or a move to a call center rep position (classy move there), and the rest of us are being folded into sales. A hunting role, basically the exact opposite of what I wanted. It's lead gen, I can't even close what I find, I have to hand it off. I would pursue transfer to another department but that requires a minimum one year of employment, so as of 8:45 am this morning I'm aggressively job-hunting after only six months :(

1) Am I right in thinking that the circumstances surrounding my job hunt excuse the appearance of job-hopping? Isn't it potentially an asset, that I'm serious enough about branching out career-wise that I'm willing to leave steady employment? Or is it going to look like I'm bailing on a employer who's invested in me, just because I don't waaannnnaaaaa dooooo thaaaaaat?

2) A general question on sales jobs - is it ever appropriate to just say you were let go for non-performance? My resume doesn't have many gaps, so I can say that I found something better/different, but that's certainly coincidental in some cases. Great salespeople get fired all the time for different reasons. Does everyone seriously proclaim career perfection over a decade-plus of different sales gigs? Isn't it more realistic to just own it where it needs to be owned and have a good explanation if there is one?

rivetz fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 4, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

rivetz posted:

First of all, obligatory announcement that this place owns so freakin' hard. I'm closing in on fifteen years and cannot count the ways in which the foums have helped me out, clarified some point, turned me onto something, steered me clear of something else, or just been an invaluable resource, to say nothing of the laughs.

Case in point: I'm 40, find myself at a career crossroads, and have to polish the resume and get cracking on a job search. Fumble around on LinkedIn for a couple minutes, browse a couple bullshitty blog posts...and then head to SA. Fast-forward ten minutes, I've read this really sharp first post with all sorts of killer advice, learned about the S.T.A.R. method holy poo poo, I knew there was someone with a solid resume service, found em in seconds and signed up, and that's rolling at about half the cost I expected with the coupon, and I'm full speed ahead in such a better position to nail this thing in seriously eight minutes...ehh uhh thanks SA. Again.

Anyway, couple of questions:

I've been in sales for over a decade and decided at the beginning of the year that I was done with it. The money's terrific and I love controlling my own income, but if I have to choose between that and stressing quota every thirty days...I'm done. The problem is that my resume is entirely sales from 2003 on. There are other facets I can emphasize (I'm in telecom selling voice/data solutions to businesses, so there are relationships to manage, the products are technical, i.e. I'm not selling luxury bath products or something), but the fact is that everything on my resume has been first and foremost a quota-bearing position. I can do my best to work around that from a resume standpoint, but that remains the bottom line.

Anyway, scored a job in an account management role that's perfect. Modest and easily attainable quota working upgrades for existing customers, no hunting/prospecting, basically single point of contact/support for a few hundred SMB and mid-market accounts. For me it's the perfect stepping stone out of sales, opening doors into all kinds of other departments (product, sales engineer, project mgt, marketing, you name it). I'm doing really well at it and they love me as an employee.

The problem is that a new VP came in last month and has enthusiastically been laying waste to the current structure. Today half of my ten-member team got offered either termination or a move to a call center rep position (classy move there), and the rest of us are being folded into sales. A hunting role, basically the exact opposite of what I wanted. It's lead gen, I can't even close what I find, I have to hand it off. I would pursue transfer to another department but that requires a minimum one year of employment, so as of 8:45 am this morning I'm aggressively job-hunting after only six months :(

1) Am I right in thinking that the circumstances surrounding my job hunt excuse the appearance of job-hopping? Isn't it potentially an asset, that I'm serious enough about branching out career-wise that I'm willing to leave steady employment? Or is it going to look like I'm bailing on a employer who's invested in me, just because I don't waaannnnaaaaa dooooo thaaaaaat?

2) A general question on sales jobs - is it ever appropriate to just say you were let go for non-performance? My resume doesn't have many gaps, so I can say that I found something better/different, but that's certainly coincidental in some cases. Great salespeople get fired all the time for different reasons. Does everyone seriously proclaim career perfection over a decade-plus of different sales gigs? Isn't it more realistic to just own it where it needs to be owned and have a good explanation if there is one?

Dang, sounds like you were living the dream! I'm on almost the exact same career path...Hospitality -> Inside Sales -> Outside Sales -(hopefully)> true Account Management. I may not be the best to give advice on the matter since I am in a similar position to you, or maybe I'm being naive, but personally I'd have no problem whatsoever telling potential employers that the duties of my job changed drastically and no longer fit my career path. Cause at the end of the day, you spend so much time at work that it needs to be something you enjoy doing, especially when you put in as much time as you have.

To your second point, you don't owe it to any interviewer to tell them you were fired unless they specifically ask, and then you can say whatever you want as long as it's true. Wait, why am I even telling you this?! You did sales, you know how to spin something and put it in a positive light. If you didn't meet quota and were let go, but you also found something else at the same time, just tell them you found something else. What's the worst that could happen? They call that employer and ask them why you left (which almost never happens)? If you're worried about that, you may want to call the employer you're worried about, touch base, shoot the poo poo, then explain you're looking for jobs and ask them to put in a good word for you if they get a reference call. You did leave each job on good terms, right?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Has anyone done a HireVue video interview? I'm doing my first this evening and am a bit anxious since I have no idea what it's going to be like.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Susical posted:

Has anyone done a HireVue video interview? I'm doing my first this evening and am a bit anxious since I have no idea what it's going to be like.
I was curious so I youtubed and got this :

https://www.youtube.com/user/hirevue

Which was a combination of hilarious and cringeworthy.

Then I checked out their website and it's full of articles with vague business speak and management cliches about HOW TO TAKE HIRING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. I still don't know what's supposed to be so revolutionary about this, Skype has been around for ages.

I'm kinda conflicted on this general type of thing though. On one hand, it's nice to see who you're talking to. On the other hand, body language comes across poorly in videos, and people are naturally a little more shy & nervous when they know they're being recorded (unless they are in show biz and used to it).. there's a reason the whole videophone thing never took off.

I'd just treat it like a normal interview. It just sucks 'cause you can't do it in your PJs like with a phone screen.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Susical posted:

So I did this last night, and if anyone was curious I actually really REALLY liked it. It gives you the question and 30 seconds to read/prep before it starts to record. This part was actually awesome, as you can READ the question (I'm definitely a visual person) and take it in and freak out or be like "yeah I got this." Gives you a few seconds to take a deep breath, instead of being in the same room as someone and letting them see your reaction as soon as they ask the question.

Yeah I had to wear a shirt and suit jacket but I still wasn't wearing pants :cool:

HR lady emailed me back within an hour and said "You did AWESOME!!!! As soon as it is evaluated I will give you a call." Woohoo!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
How long should I wait before I email to follow up on an application?

I applied for what would be a fantastic step up in my career last week, and I feel pretty confident about my cover letter+resume landing me at least a phone screen. I received an email back that same day that was simply a "Thank you for your application, we will begin reviewing candidates for the position after the holiday." And I don't want to pressure them, but I really wanna land this job, and want to keep myself fresh in their minds as someone who is definitely eager to snag it.

So what's a good period of time to wait before sending a "I was just emailing to follow up with the status of my application. I am very interested in the Operations Manager position, and in working for COMPANY. I very much look forward to hearing from you." type email?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Honestly, unless it's a small company, I wouldn't bother contacting them before they've ever contacted you. It's appropriate to follow up after a phone screen or an interview, but not an unsolicited application.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

How long should I wait before I email to follow up on an application?

I applied for what would be a fantastic step up in my career last week, and I feel pretty confident about my cover letter+resume landing me at least a phone screen. I received an email back that same day that was simply a "Thank you for your application, we will begin reviewing candidates for the position after the holiday." And I don't want to pressure them, but I really wanna land this job, and want to keep myself fresh in their minds as someone who is definitely eager to snag it.

So what's a good period of time to wait before sending a "I was just emailing to follow up with the status of my application. I am very interested in the Operations Manager position, and in working for COMPANY. I very much look forward to hearing from you." type email?

2 weeks, one e-mail (not a phone call).

Also you said applied and phone screened, not interviewed in person. How do you know this would be such a fantastic step up in your career if you haven't even been there yet?

*SOAPBOX ALERT*
There's a notion I keep seeing that "PERSISTENCE WILL GET YOU THE JOB" (translation: if you annoy them enough that means you are the best person for the job because you want it so much and they will hire you!), probably as a relic from the boomer areas where fantastic jobs with pensions and benefits grew on trees. That may true for some niche fields and a small amount of horribly managed companies. For the most part though those days are long, long over. Man, if an employer really wants call you or interview you or fly you out or (yay) offer you, they're generally not going to forget to do it and need a reminder, especially more than one.

Obviously poo poo gets hosed up, applications get lost, hiring managers lose e-mails, all that happens. I would be a fool to say it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with following up with a e-mail. And I would never hold it against anyone for sending me a brief one liner e-mail "checking up". But it's not going to impact your candidacy like you think it will.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
(Job 1 and Job 2 are both with large, S&P 500 companies)

8/26: Job 1 Interview, told me a response would be given by Friday 8/29.

8/27: Job 2 Interview, no information on response.

8/28: Emailed Job 1, thanking them for the interview and hoping to hear from them tomorrow.

8/29: Emailed Job 2, thanking them for the interview and hoping to hear from them soon. No response from Job 1.

8/30: Job 2, apologizing for the delay and telling me a response will be given on 9/5.

9/5: Job 1 Second email sent inquiring about job.

:10bux: says Job 2 does not respond as promised by COB today.

------------

I know you are busy at your jobs, but it takes literally 15 seconds to write a response email letting someone know that other things have come up and that the decision has been delayed for a few days. These are people's lives you're loving with here. Take it seriously.

Liam Emsa fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 5, 2014

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
I need some advice...

So far this year I have been on four first interviews, and two of those requested a second interview. However, I have yet to get an offer. Is there a diplomatic or correct way to ask for feedback from an interviewer that doesn't come across as arguing/pleading/bargaining? I'm just genuinely looking for feedback, not arguing or brooding.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

dangittj posted:

I need some advice...

So far this year I have been on four first interviews, and two of those requested a second interview. However, I have yet to get an offer. Is there a diplomatic or correct way to ask for feedback from an interviewer that doesn't come across as arguing/pleading/bargaining? I'm just genuinely looking for feedback, not arguing or brooding.

No, you're not going to get any feedback from anyone. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

You can try "I was really excited about the opportunity. Is there any feedback you can offer that would help make my candidacy stronger for the future?" but literally nobody is going to give you any.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

seacat posted:

2 weeks, one e-mail (not a phone call).

Also you said applied and phone screened, not interviewed in person. How do you know this would be such a fantastic step up in your career if you haven't even been there yet?

Because there's nothing that can be a step down from a company that should have declared bankruptcy a long loving time ago but the owner straight up refuses, which means payroll is starting to bounce because he refuses to restructure his debt, and if the department of labor making him pay all of us doesn't put the final nail in the coffin for his business, then one of the other bills he hasn't paid will. The job is what I'm doing now, but for a company with actual room for growth, rather than where I'm at now where the only person above me is the owner.

quote:

Obviously poo poo gets hosed up, applications get lost, hiring managers lose e-mails, all that happens. I would be a fool to say it doesn't. There's nothing wrong with following up with a e-mail. And I would never hold it against anyone for sending me a brief one liner e-mail "checking up". But it's not going to impact your candidacy like you think it will.

I had no thoughts of it making a huge difference, but every little bit helps. This is the first job I've seriously applied for (I've applied for others, but all the other nationally posted jobs were ones where if I didn't hear back, oh well) where it was posted in a national industry mag, rather than just competing against other local people. So if a polite one line email to follow up after two or so weeks doesn't do any harm, then why the hell not send it, right? I'm not about to pester the hell out of the HR department, but really, I'd love to know roughly what sort of time frame I'm looking at before I hear back one way or another about an interview.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I know this thread is for applying for actual careers, but is asking for help for cover letters for internships Kosher here? I'm applying for an internship with a councilman in my city, but I have no clue how to go about writing the cover letter. My GPA is OK, but I don't feel like I have the experience or "involvement" necessary for this position (I just transferred to a 4-year uni from a community college. Aside from a veterans and math club, there really wasn't much to do there other than attend class). I do have work experience, but it's mostly retail. Is there any way to spin that into a positive on this application or should I just lay low and build myself up with club involvements and other relative activities before I apply to an internship in the first place?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Forceholy posted:

I know this thread is for applying for actual careers, but is asking for help for cover letters for internships Kosher here? I'm applying for an internship with a councilman in my city, but I have no clue how to go about writing the cover letter. My GPA is OK, but I don't feel like I have the experience or "involvement" necessary for this position (I just transferred to a 4-year uni from a community college. Aside from a veterans and math club, there really wasn't much to do there other than attend class). I do have work experience, but it's mostly retail. Is there any way to spin that into a positive on this application or should I just lay low and build myself up with club involvements and other relative activities before I apply to an internship in the first place?

You're in the veterans club so what about your military experience?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

this little bastard posted:

You're in the veterans club so what about your military experience?

I never said I was in the veterans or math club. I'm not military. I'm just saying there wasn't much in the way of involvement at my CC.

sheneedstherapy
May 18, 2006

Lines secure... space duck
I've read through this thread over the past couple of days and it's been a big help. I do have one question, however, that I don't recall seeing addressed.

I currently work for a major corporation in a big city. When I first took the job, I lived in a smaller city about 45km away and commuted by train for three years, before eventually moving to the big city.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that I hate living in the big city and would like to move back to the general area from whence I came. I also think it's time to expand my horizons and move on from the company I'm working for now. I'm going to be looking at companies closer to the small city I'd like to move back to.

Currently, my resume does not include an address OR city, just a telephone number that has an area code for the big city (which is not uncommon in the surrounding areas, but IS technically long distance). I have had one interview arise from this resume, but it was for a startup, so I feel like they might overlook some things other companies may not.

Is it OK to not have any address at all on my resume, or will some hiring managers find that weird? Am I better off putting my address (or at least city) on the resume, and spelling out in the cover letter that I'd be willing to relocate? I'd also be commuting for a while, at least until our lease ends, but I know the mention of commuting can be the kiss of death since commuters are statistically more likely to peace out due to the stress of it, and hiring managers might avoid out-of-towners because of it.

I'm leaning toward continuing to keep any mention of location of my resume. As far as I am concerned, the presence of my application should indicate my willingness to get my rear end to wherever the job is located. Thoughts?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Definitely tell them you're planning on relocating in your cover letter. I've applied to jobs several times from different states and while it was a bit more difficult than being local I did get responses. I wouldn't worry about your phone area code, these days with people moving all over with cell phones as their primary contact you could have an area code from a completely different part of the country but still be local.

Right now I have a job that's about an hour away from where I live and they did say their one concern was that I'd peace out because I hated the commute, but it's all highway with no traffic and I kinda like it since it's a rare bit of "me time" twice a day.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Hiring managers would generally find it pretty weird if you omitted your address because where you live/how far you commute has a big impact on your life. Some of the most ethical HMs I've worked with (NOT necessarily the heads of the companies) count quality of life really important and bring up in the interview "you will have to drive <x> every day and freeway <y> sucks". No matter how badass the job is a 2 hour daily commute round-trip (can turn into 3-4 hours with traffic) will wipe out a five-digit pay raise in 6 months and you will be miserable. Just like you said.

In this case it's best to tell the truth and say you're leaving in Big City and stuck in a lease right now but are willing to bear the commute for a while and relocate closer at <however long> in the future. This is not unprofessional, or distasteful or anything, the worst case scenario is they have a better candidate that's just closer to the job. I actually had this scenario with a very talented (seeming) chemist who was one of my top picks for a position before she had to drop out to some unfortunate personal reasons.

Phone number area codes don't matter. I live in DFW but have had an Austin area code since 2004 and have received multiple offers and promotions since then. Everyone knows it don't mean jack.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I passed the phone screener for a job I'm very interested in and they want me to come in for an in-person interview. I'm on the east coast and the interview is in San Francisco. It's for a contract position until the next fiscal year where it'll turn into full-time. Is it unreasonable to ask for travel reimbursement for this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
No, not at all unreasonable. Ask for a travel reimbursement and propose a skype interview if that's not possible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it's completely reasonable. If they get upset and actually wanted you pay to go the whole way across the continental US on short notice, they would probably treat you like poo poo as an employee too so it's a very good "are you guys shitlords y/n" test.

e: I just interviewed in DC and live in the middle of Pennsylvania and they paid for my trip and hotel, it's totally reasonable to expect companies that aren't where you currently live to take care of you for an on-site interview.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Well that was easy, a quick email back and they're going to work with me to setup my flights and accommodations. Very cool.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I wanted to share a easy tip to help with the job search. Sign up for a free Google Voice number and use that number on your resume. If a potential employer calls it will indicate while ringing. You will be that much more prepared to answer the call.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I'm having a hard time following the OP's recommendations. Any advice for resumes when it's hard to come up with specific metrics to brag about?

My last position was an accounting/compliance thing, so I feel like most of my accomplishments will reflect poorly on my former employer. I'm not sure I should be like "Found $37k missing from payroll account, discovered unpaid local/state/county taxes in 1200 different jurisdictions, busted 19 managers for timeclock fraud" etc.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm gonna crosspost with the LinkedIn thread; this one feels more appropriate. Couple questions for the situation I'm in:

1. I'm currently interviewing for two different positions in the same large (~40,000 employee) company, while being represented (if that's the right word) by two different recruiters. At what point, if ever, should these recruiters learn about each other? I've been dealing with Recruiter A for longer than B, and so have a better relationship with him, but it's my feeling that A and B don't need to know about each other unless they literally both give me an offer at the same time.

2. And suppose all the stars align and they do both make me an offer at the same time - can I leverage that fact and pit them against each other like two competing car dealerships, or should I just not go there at all since these are different jobs in different divisions of the company, and thus aren't related enough to do any trading on?

3. In my first talk with Recruiter A he pressed me into giving him my base, starting salary requirements, and so I gave it to him (on the condition that everything else - PTO, healthcare, etc would only be talked about after I'd been made an offer). By the time I'd applied for Job B my confidence had grown, and so had my base: by $5k. If I were to get an offer from Job A, that extra $5k is just lost money, right? Seems like it would be pretty tactless to try to negotiate up after giving a starting number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

posh spaz posted:

My last position was an accounting/compliance thing, so I feel like most of my accomplishments will reflect poorly on my former employer. I'm not sure I should be like "Found $37k missing from payroll account, discovered unpaid local/state/county taxes in 1200 different jurisdictions, busted 19 managers for timeclock fraud" etc.
Man I'm no expert, but it seems to me you're in a perfect position to brag about how much money you made for your company, and it's not in a "making GBS threads on them" kind of way, it's just a "making improvements" way. I mean maybe you don't phrase it like "busted time fraud violators," but you can say "Recovered $___ through increased time management efficiency," something like that.