Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's true, Level 1 Igni is completely worthless in W2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wonder if that will be corrected in TW3. I'm not really sure what a good role for it would be, since actually outright nuking stuff isn't very Witcher like.

One easier way to fix it might just be the increased monster variety, if some stuff is vulnerable to fire and some stuff isn't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Sharmat posted:

Video games are treated with a totally different standard though. Remember when Mass Effect had those fade-to-black "sex scenes" that you could have gotten away with showing in any PG-13 movie or on TV no problem, but because it was in a video game people freaked the gently caress out?

Granted, "people" being Fox News. But still.

The (excellent) recent Wolfenstein reboot had some actual no-bullshit loving in it; like pounding away. I think that's the first time I've ever seen that in a game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Roshnak posted:

Kite the dudes away from him? I'm pretty sure I just kited them into a group and then used Igni on the whole group. Or maybe I just Igni/sworded them one at a time as soon as they came out of the water. I couldn't find any information about which sword they're susceptible to, but Igni definitely messes them up real bad.

They ended up pushing me outside the barrier somehow. From there I just hit them and then shot Agni every so often. Worked out well, and now I have a pretty bitching sword.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

The (excellent) recent Wolfenstein reboot had some actual no-bullshit loving in it; like pounding away. I think that's the first time I've ever seen that in a game.

I was sure that actual penetration at least would put you in the AO category.

If it doesn't, and violence sure as hell doesn't, how do you get an AO rating?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Max Payne 3 had someone loving someone in it in a brothel/bar.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Just wanted to put my vote in for full frontal male nudity. Equality between the sexes!

As for the AO / M rating thing, I think if the game has graphic sex that you participate in via gameplay (like, press A to thrust), it's AO.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Didn't one of the God of War games have a sex minigame that was basically "press A to thrust"?

I'm starting to think AO is a defacto defunct category.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't one of the God of War games have a sex minigame that was basically "press A to thrust"?

I'm starting to think AO is a defacto defunct category.

Yeah but the sex was completely off screen I believe? I think it was only a button prompt and a moan sound effect.

AO is pretty defunct because publishers won't let AO games get published. Most stores won't put them on shelves so if their game comes back from cert with an AO rating, they have to work with the ESRB to get it down to M. An AO game is basically doomed to fail.

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 8, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Sharmat posted:

I was sure that actual penetration at least would put you in the AO category.

If it doesn't, and violence sure as hell doesn't, how do you get an AO rating?

Oh, no it wasn't explicit in that way. But it wasn't that vague dreamy fumbling you get in, say, Mass Effect.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Got any tips for Dagon? Seems like he's so big trying to click on his followers makes Geralt switch to attacking him, and they just dodge group style even with a Blizzard potion on. They count as monsters, right?
If I remember correctly, the Vodyanoi take more damage from steel swords. I used Strong Steel style to drop the priests one at a time - Dagon didn't do much besides wander around, I don't recall him dealing any significant damage.

Or, as mentioned, Igni til you win

One of my minor complaints with TW2 was the enemy variety. Not so much that you face the same types of enemy throughout, but more than most encounters involve just one type. You've got your nimble dudes (nekkers and rotfiends), your bugs, and your harpies, and each encounter is pretty homogenous besides a couple of the foes being the 'special version' with more hitpoints and higher damage (warrior nekker, greater rotfiend, endrega warrior/guard, hippy bangle harpy).

There's very few occasions where you're facing a mix - say, a bullvore plus an entourage of rotfiends, or a golem with gargoyle buddies. That would be an easy way to mix things up and alleviate some of the tedium of killing your umpteenth cluster of feathered kleptos.

FINGERS CROSSED FOR TW3 HUH GUYS

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 8, 2014

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder if that will be corrected in TW3. I'm not really sure what a good role for it would be, since actually outright nuking stuff isn't very Witcher like.

One easier way to fix it might just be the increased monster variety, if some stuff is vulnerable to fire and some stuff isn't.

I actually hope they make signs as OP as they were in Witcher 1 again. Ignifying Echinopsae who then go underground while burning and being feared was so fun :sigh:

The Sharmat posted:

Igni is almost always the answer in TW1.

In TW2 I found it was almost never worth using unless you put a bunch of points into upgrading it. Still, Aard and Yrden and Quen were all useful even without points so you had more effective choices in TW2 than TW1 even if it still wasn't perfectly balanced.

I loved using Igni in my Mage tree playthrough. I never understood why people love Quen so much either. Why would you block your vigor regeneration just so you can take a hit that you could've just as easily evaded? :psyduck:

E: I'm rereading the short stories because I barely remembered anything from them; why the hell did Geralt bite the Striga?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
After the awesome intro cinematic in TW1 I was disappointed when I finally got Igni and it was not a sustained flamethrower. :(

Besides that I'm not sure what niche Igni fills that Aard can't cover. The in-game Signs seem to be designed around methods of crowd control and while Yrden, Axii and Quen are unique in their application, Igni in TW2 always felt like an Aard with no stun/knockdown and marginally more damage, particularly unupgraded. I dunno, maybe if it was a channeled cone attack that slowed down an enemy advance while slowly crisping them it'd feel more like it was it's own thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Scandalous posted:

After the awesome intro cinematic in TW1 I was disappointed when I finally got Igni and it was not a sustained flamethrower. :(

Besides that I'm not sure what niche Igni fills that Aard can't cover. The in-game Signs seem to be designed around methods of crowd control and while Yrden, Axii and Quen are unique in their application, Igni in TW2 always felt like an Aard with no stun/knockdown and marginally more damage, particularly unupgraded. I dunno, maybe if it was a channeled cone attack that slowed down an enemy advance while slowly crisping them it'd feel more like it was it's own thing.

I used Igni as a pure damage dealer, barely ever used my sword, especially after the upgraded version :shrug:. That's actually why I didn't use Aard, my sword just didn't do a lot of damage in comparison.

In the short story, Geralt's using Aard, Igni can't push people back I think.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

I used Igni as a pure damage dealer, barely ever used my sword, especially after the upgraded version :shrug:. That's actually why I didn't use Aard, my sword just didn't do a lot of damage in comparison.
Yeah, I did a run through with a Mage tree focus to see what Iorveth's side of the story was like, throwing out fire like an angry dragon. In all honesty it was the build I liked the least.

Thing is, if you don't build your play style around pumping up Igni to be your main source of damage, it's pretty crap. All the other signs provide a tactical option at their base level, and one that persists to the end of the game. Yrden still traps, Axii still hexes, Quen still deflects, Aard still interrupts with a chance to stun. Whereas Igni's damage component quickly becomes useless versus enemies with mid-game hitpoint pools. It's just not really much of a tool without significant investment.

But I'm sure this is news to no one! Share your favourite Roche/Iorveth slash fic please :dong:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GrossMurpel posted:

I loved using Igni in my Mage tree playthrough. I never understood why people love Quen so much either. Why would you block your vigor regeneration just so you can take a hit that you could've just as easily evaded? :psyduck:
Quen is the easiest way to avoid hits early on when you're not used to the game and you don't have any parry/riposte/dodge upgrades and it kinda traps people because you use Quen because you aren't good at those things yet, but since you aren't doing those things you don't get good at them, so you have to use Quen. It's a vicious cycle. Hopefuly TW3 rebalances this slightly to avoid that trend.

You can still break out of this with a bit of willpower and after a dedicated "No Quen ever" run I got good enough at the other methods of avoiding attacks that in a normal run now where I'm not limiting myself, I still basically only use Quen for the Kayran and the Dragon.

GrossMurpel posted:

E: I'm rereading the short stories because I barely remembered anything from them; why the hell did Geralt bite the Striga?

Those potions do poo poo to you man. He's basically hopped up on magic speed.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Quen is the easiest way to avoid hits early on when you're not used to the game and you don't have any parry/riposte/dodge upgrades and it kinda traps people because you use Quen because you aren't good at those things yet, but since you aren't doing those things you don't get good at them, so you have to use Quen. It's a vicious cycle. Hopefuly TW3 rebalances this slightly to avoid that trend.

You can still break out of this with a bit of willpower and after a dedicated "No Quen ever" run I got good enough at the other methods of avoiding attacks that in a normal run now where I'm not limiting myself, I still basically only use Quen for the Kayran and the Dragon.

Those potions do poo poo to you man. He's basically hopped up on magic speed.

Yeah the Dragon is the first time I ever used Quen again after the prolog. Is it actually impossible to predict his claw swipes or did I just miss something?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The main thing I had trouble predicting at all was where her tail was gonna go. Her claw swipes and bites are predictable but have a very narrow window of opportunity to get away.

Incidentally I later found out that you can use Igni on the dragon. And the Draug. That's just dumb.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Speaking of voice acting, I was thinking of going through two again with a non-english voice pack. What sounds the most witcher-y? Polish obviously, but I also read the russian voices were really good? Or was that in 1?

From a bit back but I did my second play through in French and it sounded awesome, especially ODRIN.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've heard that in the Polish version of the game they don't bother with doing consistent regional accents or trying to match different languages' pronunciation rules (So stuff like Aen Sidhe is pronounced by Iorveth as "En Sid".) That would bug me a bit.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Khazar-khum posted:

However, it does do some things quite well. If you know about horses, you've heard of 'airs above the ground', movements used in battle to keep the rider out of harm's way. There's a training section in one of the shows where Geralt deals with a mounted fighter. It's one of the few times I've ever seen anyone use the methods correctly in combat.
Do you by chance remember which episode it was (or at least which range of episodes)?

The Sharmat posted:

In that gameplay vid from a few pages back, igni included a crowd-control component. Your target starts to frantically extinguish those flames while you set up the next sword-into-head attack.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 8, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah the Dragon is the first time I ever used Quen again after the prolog. Is it actually impossible to predict his claw swipes or did I just miss something?

He attacks in a pattern. If I remember right you kind of have to be running in front of him as he's climbing around below the edge of the tower in order to have the best chance of avoiding both his tail and claw attacks. I think this also gives you a good view of him so that you can see when he's starting the wind up to attack.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I've never used signs where I wasn't required in the Witcher games. I'm swordplay all the way. I also don't use potions. I just brute force everything.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
That's silly because the real way to brute force in W1 is spamming Igni at everyone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

I've never used signs where I wasn't required in the Witcher games. I'm swordplay all the way. I also don't use potions. I just brute force everything.

That sounds tedious but whatever works for you. Even on a pure swordplay build I'll toss an Aard or Yrden every once in awhile. I almost never use Axii outside of that quest with all the loving wraiths to get Melitile's Heart though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

From a bit back but I did my second play through in French and it sounded awesome, especially ODRIN.

Haha, I can imagine. Since changing language is done so easily, I guess I'll just try some of them out during the prologue.

The Sharmat posted:

I've heard that in the Polish version of the game they don't bother with doing consistent regional accents or trying to match different languages' pronunciation rules (So stuff like Aen Sidhe is pronounced by Iorveth as "En Sid".) That would bug me a bit.

That's a shame. My second playthrough of W1 I did with polish VOs, so those are still closest to my heart. Plus I visited Krakow earlier this year.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GrossMurpel posted:

Let me guess, you've only finished Roche's Path, right? ;)

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Speaking of voice acting, I was thinking of going through two again with a non-english voice pack. What sounds the most witcher-y? Polish obviously, but I also read the russian voices were really good? Or was that in 1?

YMMV and all that, but I love the German VA and used it throughout both of the previous games. I think the (w3) trailer is made even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAS-kog72Oo

I hope the localised Australian version we get has the same EU options as the previous games did. No Charles Dance though :(

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

buildmorefarms posted:

I hope the localised Australian version we get has the same EU options as the previous games did. No Charles Dance though :(

What is this?

Edit: Oh I get you haha, I was thinking Charles Dance was going to be edited out in Australia for some reason lmao

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Let me guess, you've only finished Roche's Path, right? ;)

Yes, I'm on my Iorveth Dark Mode playthrough now :ohdear:

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

There will most likely be fan released patches to un-block anything that the Australian version gets.
Also, where is the source as to Charles Dance not being in localised Australian versions?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

He meant that if he uses an alternate language then he won't get to enjoy Charles Dance's performance.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Valar Morghulis posted:

There will most likely be fan released patches to un-block anything that the Australian version gets.
Also, where is the source as to Charles Dance not being in localised Australian versions?

Australian censors saw that video of Charles Dance's reading of "Fifty Shades of Grey" and decided all his performances constituted an obscenity that must be removed from the finished product.

It was the Kinky Fuckery that did it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Yes, I'm on my Iorveth Dark Mode playthrough now :ohdear:

Just something you said gave that away. You'll get it later. :)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lycus posted:

Just something you said gave that away. You'll get it later. :)

If it's about not using the Dragon's name, I don't want to accidentally spoil anyone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

If it's about not using the Dragon's name, I don't want to accidentally spoil anyone.

Oh okay, you already know. It was the pronoun that got my notice

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 9, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think calling the dragon "she" counts as a spoiler anyway. It had to be one sex or the other.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think calling the dragon "she" counts as a spoiler anyway. It had to be one sex or the other.

I didn't mean it was a spoiler, really, I just meant that I thought saying "he" meant that they didn't know the identity. But no matter, they do

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Pwnstar posted:

What is this?

Edit: Oh I get you haha, I was thinking Charles Dance was going to be edited out in Australia for some reason lmao

Sorry yes - terrible sentence structure on my part. No Charles Dance in the German VA (of course) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The German Emhyr is pretty cool too.

• Locked thread