Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

FactsAreUseless posted:

I appreciate that this one three-minute video has become as popular and quotable as the game itself. Well done, internet video guys.

It's weird because it's also the only piece of machinima that is not only watchable, but good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's weird because it's also the only piece of machinima that is not only watchable, but good.

It's all in the numbers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

closeted republican posted:

The same thing happens to me with the Malkalvian mod. I can't take things like Page's speech in the Ocean Labs seriously anymore because I always hear the lines from the mod instead of what the character is actually saying.
Wait, the Malkavian mod does the entire game? I kinda assumed (based on a few videos) that it only covers the first few missions. Seems like they'd run out of funny ideas pretty fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Here's a picture.

(Full disclosure I've made this same exact post like twice previously in this thread and I will continue to do it whenever deus ex uncut comes up)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Wait, the Malkavian mod does the entire game? I kinda assumed (based on a few videos) that it only covers the first few missions. Seems like they'd run out of funny ideas pretty fast.

I'm talking about the actual voice clips used in it. The vacuum cleaner in Malkalvian uses parts from Page's speeches in Vandernberg and the Ocean Lab mixed up, so whenever I get there, I can't take them seriously because I always think about the vacuum cleaner from Malkalvian instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

It's all in the numbers.
Number one: It's funny. Number two: It's funny.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

CJacobs posted:

Here's a picture.

You can trust me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Number one: It's funny. Number two: It's funny.

Do you have a single shred of evidence to back that up?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Does anyone else remember the exact moment when they said "Oh drat, I have to play this game"?

Mine was when my friend told me about how robot spiders broke his legs and he didn't have any medkits, so he had to crawl the rest of the way to his objective.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Does anyone else remember the exact moment when they said "Oh drat, I have to play this game"?

Mine was when my friend told me about how robot spiders broke his legs and he didn't have any medkits, so he had to crawl the rest of the way to his objective.

That exact thing happened to me in vandenberg and it made me want to eat a bullet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Still happens to me if I'm not being careful, during the tutorial when I replay it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I bought the drat demo disc, thinking it was a real game.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

I bought the drat demo disc, thinking it was a real game.

Special Preview Edition!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I got Deus Ex among a whole bunch of other old PC games from one of my uncles friends. I had never heard of Deus Ex before (I was pretty much strictly a Nintendo kid up to this point aside from a handful of PC games). It was a real gem in the lot, most of the games were absolute crap and/or wouldn't install properly that I remember anyway.

Edit: VVVV : Yeah the opening cinematic got me hooked instantly, even if I couldn't get past Liberty Island for months.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Scholtz posted:

A buddy invited me over and showed me the opening cinematic and it was everything I'd ever wanted in a videogame.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Mine was definitely the demo. I knew immediately. In fact, since then, I've used Denton as a fake last name online for times when I don't want to use my real last name.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shamefully, my first experience with Deus Ex was with the PS2 version. Though cut up levels aside it wasn't that bad a port, really. I ended up getting it because I heard of the elements of choice and skill levelling and at the time, that sounded really cool. Before modern games shoved that sort of thing into everything regardless if they fit or not.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The PS2 version is actually pretty cool. The levels are juuuust different enough that it remains visually interesting. Frankly, it's amazing that that a PS2 version got made at all. Must have been weird stumbling upon it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I actually got the PS2 version before the PC version, but nether bothered to play it. :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The PS2 version is actually pretty cool. The levels are juuuust different enough that it remains visually interesting. Frankly, it's amazing that that a PS2 version got made at all. Must have been weird stumbling upon it.

Yeah some things got streamlined like locational damage but it was a remarkably faithful port otherwise. The levels, while cut up were also larger than Invisible War's too, so I always thought the excuse of the level design in IW being so crap because of consoles was suspect.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah some things got streamlined like locational damage but it was a remarkably faithful port otherwise. The levels, while cut up were also larger than Invisible War's too, so I always thought the excuse of the level design in IW being so crap because of consoles was suspect.

The godawful engine (which, believe it or not, is actually an early UE2) and having to be build the game for the Xbox are why the levels are so goddamn small in IW. The engine's fancy lighting tricks are a huge resource drain and the devs didn't fully understand how the system worked because the programmer behind it suddenly bailed on them. This, plus how small the Xbox's memory is, meant they really had to cut down maps in order for the game to work on consoles.

Deus Ex, on the other hand, didn't rely on any fancy visual tricks in its modified version of UE1 and weas built for much lower system requirements on the PC, so they could pack more bits of the level into each slice of it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I always thought it was hilarious that the original Liberty Island was a single map but the Deus Ex 2 version had to be divided up into two (three?) sections.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

I always thought it was hilarious that the original Liberty Island was a single map but the Deus Ex 2 version had to be divided up into two (three?) sections.

Three sections. What's funnier is that the various DX1 locations seen in JC's sanctuary, along with Liberty Island and UNATCO, actually look better in DX1 than they do in IW. :v:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 8, 2014

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
God, JC's sanctuary. Clerks Animated Series had a recap episode as their second episode and it was a joke.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

God, JC's sanctuary. Clerks Animated Series had a recap episode as their second episode and it was a joke.

JC's sanctuary isn't that bad. You get to laugh at how awful-looking the remade DX1 areas look, can beat Billie's whiny and backstabbing head in, and the whole map is pretty short if you don't go for the items in the greasel pits at the end of each section

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scholtz posted:

Me and one of my best friends sat together in school and I told him about Perfect Dark and he told me about Deus Ex and tried to one up each other with cool game stories before I thought 'gently caress it that game sounds cool as hell' and played the demo and told my mum I needed a lift into town so I could buy a game called 'deus ex', she thought I said 'day of sex' and I had to explain it was Latin to her.

Pretty good year for games 11 year old dorky me was in heaven

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Butterfly Valley posted:

Me and one of my best friends sat together in school and I told him about Perfect Dark and he told me about Deus Ex and tried to one up each other with cool game stories before I thought 'gently caress it that game sounds cool as hell' and played the demo and told my mum I needed a lift into town so I could buy a game called 'deus ex', she thought I said 'day of sex' and I had to explain it was Latin to her.

Pretty good year for games 11 year old dorky me was in heaven

A friend of mine lent me a slew of old PC games - no idea how this game passed me by originally, but I played it for the first time four or so years ago, not expecting all that much (although he was very insistent it was amazing).
Really immersive, and it took a lot of kneecapping in Liberty island before I got it. First time around, I mistakenly shot a character's father in the hotel... "what a shame". Pretty much the best game.

I can't remember who said something like, the best comedians make it feel like you are the only one who truly gets the joke. That's part of the charm of it for me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

closeted republican posted:

The godawful engine (which, believe it or not, is actually an early UE2) and having to be build the game for the Xbox are why the levels are so goddamn small in IW. The engine's fancy lighting tricks are a huge resource drain and the devs didn't fully understand how the system worked because the programmer behind it suddenly bailed on them. This, plus how small the Xbox's memory is, meant they really had to cut down maps in order for the game to work on consoles.

Deus Ex, on the other hand, didn't rely on any fancy visual tricks in its modified version of UE1 and weas built for much lower system requirements on the PC, so they could pack more bits of the level into each slice of it.
Yeah, the DX2 engine (Flesh, I think it was called?) was a half-finished hack-job of a UE2 alpha. Meanwhile, the engine used in DX1 PS2 was an updated port of UE1 done by Epic themselves for the PS2 port of UT99, with skeletal animations and such.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Also I think the programmer didn't bail, he was fired. But I could be mistaken about that, pretty sure I read that somewhere...

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I got this game for free with a computer back in, i dunno, 2000? I had never heard anything about it and just kind of cheated my way through. I had no clue what I had. It took me years to look back and realize what a great game it had been.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I paid $50 to buy this game with my birthday money when I was about 14 years old. I remember installing it from the CD drive (just inserted a CDRW drive with 48x read which I wanted to try out) but by the time it was finished installing it was bedtime I so read the manual in bed before I could play it after school the next day.

I think what blew my mind the most was throwing a TNT crate in the training mission, having it blow up and damaging both of my legs and getting gunned down while attempting to crawl away slowly from the (now alerted) security bot.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I had to think hard about it but I think I was hooked the first time I hacked into a security panel and took manual control of the cameras.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For me it was just after Paul explains to you that there's multiple things you can do to get into the statue on the island right at the start. I was like, "yeah but there's no way I'll be able to do all that" and then there totally was a way! That kinda stuff peters out a little as the game goes on but it definitely opens strong, I feel.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CJacobs posted:

For me it was just after Paul explains to you that there's multiple things you can do to get into the statue on the island right at the start. I was like, "yeah but there's no way I'll be able to do all that" and then there totally was a way! That kinda stuff peters out a little as the game goes on but it definitely opens strong, I feel.

People complain about Liberty Island, but it's honestly one of the all-time best video game levels.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

People complain about Liberty Island, but it's honestly one of the all-time best video game levels.

It's because it's garbage as a tutorial. It's very poorly suited to teaching you how Deus Ex works specifically because it's so open, but the fact that it's so open makes it amazing to play when you already know how the game works and can properly appreciate the multiple paths.

It's a great level, just a terrible tutorial level.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's because it's garbage as a tutorial. It's very poorly suited to teaching you how Deus Ex works specifically because it's so open, but the fact that it's so open makes it amazing to play when you already know how the game works and can properly appreciate the multiple paths.

Do people not play the Tutorial? The one that it offers you when you start the game?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Do people not play the Tutorial? The one that it offers you when you start the game?

The actual tutorial only teaches you the controls and that stealth is pretty bad out of the box, though. It doesn't actually teach you how the game is played; that's theoretically Liberty Island's job.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The actual tutorial only teaches you the controls and that stealth is pretty bad out of the box, though. It doesn't actually teach you how the game is played; that's theoretically Liberty Island's job.

Oh, you're talking about the actual underlying logic and assumptions of the game design. Yeah, that's something you have to figure out for yourself unfortunately.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And this is why it took me 2 false starts when it first came out. Put it down for months each time. Then something just clicked before I even started a 3rd time. I knew. GOTY all years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's mostly a matter of getting into the mindset of being willing to try poo poo to see if you can do it. If you don't want to go straight into the statue on liberty island you can, for example, stack some conveniently placed boxes to climb up the side or hack a robot and let it go to town on the opposition, but the game doesn't ever tell you that you can do that. In the first conversation with Paul he talks about your equipment, and then the informant on the other end of the island, and leaves the rest up to you. Most video games of this kind don't have that kind of open-ended-ness.