Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Me and my roommate just finished Detention. It's ridiculous and we both liked it a lot. Go in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Detention is one of my favorite films, and I've taught it as the final film in a film history course a few times. Students are equally boggled and enchanted by it (basically the response that we've seen in the thread here.)

It is also on of Steven Shaviro's favorite films (he's a pretty big film theorist and philosopher) and if you liked the movie you might like this essay that he published to his blog. It is spoiler heavy/needs you to be familiar with the film to make sense, so I recommend reading it after you see the movie.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Me and my roommate just finished Detention. It's ridiculous and we both liked it a lot. Go in blind.

Holy poo poo you were right. This film is great.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You know, I think I might go ahead and give Detention a shot.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I also just checked it out today, and then followed it up with a whole school-movie triple feature with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and School of Rock.

poo poo's dope.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
A Simple Plan :negative:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I checked out Detention yesterday. It was great and worth a watch, but don't let the thread overhype it. It's like Scream directed by someone on speed and hallucinogens with a pop-culture reference obsession. I'm not sure how it would hold up to repeat viewings. Part of the joy of it was just wondering what ridiculous story would pop up next.

For some reason, the whole "TV-hand" backstory for the jock was the best and most absurd part for me.

Then again, I'm an old dusty 29 year old. I wasn't sure if the movie's target audience was current high schoolers or people in their 20s and 30s.

Edit: vvvv
It's very similar to John Dies at the End, which is good and bad. Worth watching once but the story is more about absurdity than good film.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 8, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Detention was bad. But then, the whole super-postmodern clever winking film thing has always irked me. Y'all can keep your Tarantino and your John Dies at the End.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

It's like Scream directed by someone on speed and hallucinogens with a pop-culture reference obsession.

More appropriately, if Scream and Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim had a baby, it would be Detention.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
While I enjoyed staring at Detention with my eyeballs, I'm at a loss for what numerical rating to give it. It seems to defy any kind of standard grading scale.

I kind of think I'd like to watch it on shrooms or E though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Detention was bad. But then, the whole super-postmodern clever winking film thing has always irked me. Y'all can keep your Tarantino and your John Dies at the End.

I haven't watched Detention yet, but John Dies at the End is loving GARBAGE.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I couldn't get past the first 15 or 20 minutes of Detention. Is that enough of a chance or should I give it another shot? I didn't like John Dies At The End either.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Don't compare Detention to John Dies at the End because the former is good and the latter sucks rear end.

However, it's completely acceptable to hate Detention because the style of the thing is similar to Scream and Scott Pilgrim.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zwabu posted:

Re: Let The Right One In -

Eli being castrated or genitally mutilated, while a brief scene, is thematically significant with respect to the film. There is a whole tentative conversation where she probes his reaction while asking "would you still like me if I wasn't a girl" which literally addresses the genitals issue but also is subtext for the issue of the boy accepting her being a vampire.
Since they were both prepubescent kids I took the entire thing about being a buddy movie, not a romance. The blond kid is the saddest lonely bullied kid in the world and the entire thing is a test over seeing is friendship being stronger than differences.

The ending scene was the most :unsmith: I've ever felt about a movie's ending, because the blond kid is no longer alone, even though he still appears to be (if you don't know what's in his box).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

King Vidiot posted:

While I enjoyed staring at Detention with my eyeballs, I'm at a loss for what numerical rating to give it. It seems to defy any kind of standard grading scale.

I kind of think I'd like to watch it on shrooms or E though.

It was pretty awesome while :420:. I'll probably watch it sober later, just to see if it holds up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

flesh dance posted:

I've never watched it but there's one on Netflix called Degenerate Art, which I remember because every single time it pops up I instantly assume it's a doc on this and get super excited, then disappointed.
This is a pretty interesting documentary on the evolution of the techniques and competitions surrounding the blown-glass industry. It's potentially interesting for anyone who likes science or art.

Also Bob Snodgrass is a really genuinely good person on and off camera.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you guys ever seen Akira? it's on Hulu Plus without commercials. $100 million dollar budget in 1987 for an animated movie. Still holds up.

Also it's basically Chronicle but with more science.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

coyo7e posted:

Since they were both prepubescent kids I took the entire thing about being a buddy movie, not a romance. The blond kid is the saddest lonely bullied kid in the world and the entire thing is a test over seeing is friendship being stronger than differences.

The ending scene was the most :unsmith: I've ever felt about a movie's ending, because the blond kid is no longer alone, even though he still appears to be (if you don't know what's in his box).

I mean, his fate is to become the middle aged weirdo-slave that Eli ditches for him so it's not like there's a happy ending in store for him.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 8, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Five minutes into detention, already has the best soundtrack of any movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

I mean, his fat is to become the middle aged weirdo-slave that Eli ditches for him so it's not like there's a happy ending in store for him.

There's an argument here that goes something like "Would you rather have a happy life or a happy ending?" I mean for me the ending was still pretty :unsmith:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Have you guys ever seen Akira? it's on Hulu Plus without commercials. $100 million dollar budget in 1987 for an animated movie. Still holds up.

Akira will always hold up.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Short Penguin posted:

Akira will always hold up.

Seriously greate

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Watched Devils on the Doorstep last night, and would recommend it. Extremely dark comedy with lots of Shakespearean mix-ups.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Just finished up A Band Called Death which was a really solid documentary about an unknown all black protopunk band from Detroit in the 70's. Pretty moving and interesting, I highly recommend.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's rare when a writer/artist is asked to direct his own movie on his work and in japan it tends to work. That vs the league of extraordinary gentlemen

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DeimosRising posted:

I mean, his fat is to become the middle aged weirdo-slave that Eli ditches for him so it's not like there's a happy ending in store for him.

If it helps, in the novel it's explicit that that is not what happens. I prefer the bleaker interpretation though.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 8, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If it helps, in the novel it's explicit that that is not what happens. I prefer the bleaker interpretation though.

Isn't that actually from a followup short story the Lindqvist wrote specifically because the book and film make it seem like that's what's going on? He may not have intended it, but it makes much more sense thematically, narratively, and even in terms of plot. I should note I haven't read the short story.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

King Vidiot posted:

That's exactly how I felt about it.

Also I must be the only person who loved John Dies At The End. I wouldn't watch it again but I really enjoyed it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Detention: wtf did I just watch and/or enjoy?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So much contention about Detention.

:downsrim:

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LogisticEarth posted:

So much contention about Detention.

:downsrim:

The constant mentions have retention of everybody's attention if that was the intention

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I loved John Dies At The End, so I fired up Detention today with the intention of half watching it. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

fenix down posted:

Watched Devils on the Doorstep last night, and would recommend it. Extremely dark comedy with lots of Shakespearean mix-ups.

Seriously, everybody watch Devils on the Doorstep. It's one the best films made in the last 20 years.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It was Movie of the Month here a while ago, too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm not sure how it could not be, according to most of the "standard" vampire mythology doesn't the vampire's human familiar stay human and thus mortal? So that any true love between the two is ultimately tragic?

The old David Bowie/Catherine Deneuve "The Hunger" had one of the best takes on this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Seriously, everybody watch Devils on the Doorstep. It's one the best films made in the last 20 years.

Yeah, I freakin love Devils On The Doorstep.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
After letting Detention digest for a couple hours I've decided that it's a hard movie to recommend but I'm excited about doing a rewatch. I'm also really glad that I saw every minute of Gord on screen, loved that guy :kiddo:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Detention was really loving weird.

That being said, it was pretty good, and also kinda poo poo at the same time.

I went into it blind, and while I don't feel like I wasted my time or anything, I don't feel like praising it from the rooftops.

I guess it really depends on what kinda mood you are in for what kinda movie you want to watch, because if you aren't in a "batshit crazy" mood the movie is gonna suck balls. If you go into it thinking "Yep, this is gonna be weird", then it's pretty good.

JDATE was kinda shittacular. The best part of the movie was Doug Jones, being as creepy as only he can be.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Akira is my favorite movie of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Kunzelman posted:

Detention is one of my favorite films, and I've taught it as the final film in a film history course a few times. Students are equally boggled and enchanted by it (basically the response that we've seen in the thread here.)

It is also on of Steven Shaviro's favorite films (he's a pretty big film theorist and philosopher) and if you liked the movie you might like this essay that he published to his blog. It is spoiler heavy/needs you to be familiar with the film to make sense, so I recommend reading it after you see the movie.

This is really cool

• Locked thread