Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Prism posted:

It wanders right off the battlefield. It's meandering. It says so right on it!

Wanders out of range of boardwipes, which is pretty funny (but still doesn't make it good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

The more I look at this piece of poo poo the more I want to brew with it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tonetta posted:

The more I look at this piece of poo poo the more I want to brew with it.
It's Fires of Yavimaya with a situational upside, how is it a piece of poo poo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

neetengie posted:

It's Fires of Yavimaya with a situational upside, how is it a piece of poo poo.

It's Fires with a different situational upside. :spergin:

But I agree. If you can avoid having mana be an obstacle to dropping it on a relevant turn, it seems loving amazing. Why yes I'll draw all the cards to refill the hand of my green fatty deck.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I'm not saying it's terrible and I'm probably gonna play it but it's going to feel real terrible when I drop it against a control player and then they counter everything that makes it relevant.

I kinda like the turtle with the card to be frank, and I think the turtle might be constructed playable for at least the first few months while wedge is viable. The two cards together seem pretty good at least and will muddy up wraths

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope you guys who are really loving that turtle are as excited about it when you open 3 in your prerelease packs. I'm going to be the guy wishing it was an uncommon and getting a fetchland instead.

I don't know, at the prerelease of all places I'm not going to get worked up over how good my packs are. The card as printed can't really be an uncommon, unless they are trying to shape a very specific environment, it's just too good a blocker. The thing is, there are always going to be bulk rares, so it's really awesome when they are at least interesting flavor-wise. I'm really happy they made the card, and I'm okay with it being a rare. I would be fine with opening it (or even 3) at the prerelease because sometimes you open bad cards. Hell, if I opened 3 I'd consider running them all if I was green just to see the look on my opponent's face when I drop the third one. It's possible I'd be irritated if it happened at a PTQ or GP, but no more than if it were 3 different crap rares.

Tonetta posted:

I'm not saying it's terrible and I'm probably gonna play it but it's going to feel real terrible when I drop it against a control player and then they counter everything that makes it relevant.

I kinda like the turtle with the card to be frank, and I think the turtle might be constructed playable for at least the first few months while wedge is viable. The two cards together seem pretty good at least and will muddy up wraths

As much as I'd love it, there's just no way the turtle is constructed playable anywhere. It's only immune to wrath if they already absolutely have to wrath the turn it gets exiled, and even then it's basically a 2.5 power creature for 5 mana. Drawing an extra card every other turn when you assemble your combo, and are in a position to be attacking with it isn't enough to change that.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tonetta posted:

Mistcutter Hydra still exists and is still uncounterable.

The redundant haste might be a little annoying but still, there you go.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

That might be the best Charm ever printed, though. Seriously. God drat.

I may be underestimating the instant-speed Duress, but the other two options are roughly similar to what you get with Selesnya Charm, which is only 2 mana, and does still have a relevant third ability.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good card, but I don't know if it's the best charm ever printed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Couldn't they keep the dumb "slow turtle" gimmick but push it a little more towards playability so it isn't a giant unplayable piece of poo poo? Give it a super high power or trample or an annihilator analogue or something.

That's what I never got about the whole psychographic thing. Wouldn't Timmy or whoever prefer a giant turtle that actually does something?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I wish they would print more of the fun charms at common, if only for pauper. I guess they're too good in multiple for limited.

E: we've hardly seen any of the commons, when does the full spoiler come out?

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

fadam posted:

Couldn't they keep the dumb "slow turtle" gimmick but push it a little more towards playability so it isn't a giant unplayable piece of poo poo? Give it a super high power or trample or an annihilator analogue or something.

That's what I never got about the whole psychographic thing. Wouldn't Timmy or whoever prefer a giant turtle that actually does something?

Nah, man you Just Don't Get It. They have to print "bad" cards because :suicide:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Rakshasa Deathdealer looks like a cool and fun card and looks like he slots right into the golgari aggro/midrange deck that I so desperately want to build!

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Nah, man you Just Don't Get It. They have to print "bad" cards because :suicide:

Without bad cards there would be no good cards

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Rakshasa Deathdealer looks like a cool and fun card and looks like he slots right into the golgari aggro/midrange deck that I so desperately want to build!
Too bad he's not a better Putrid Leech :(

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

neetengie posted:

Too bad he's not a better Putrid Leech :(

Has regen and has a better mana-sink ability late game. So he's better for the midrange deck and slightly worse for the aggro deck. So I'd say he's sometimes better than putrid leech.

Something along the lines of:

- Deathdealer
- heroes downfall
- courser
- thoughtseize
- sylvan caryatid
- elvish mystic
- reaper of the wilds
- big daddy golgarruck (1-2 of)
- nighthowler
- herald of torment
- polukranos
- bile blight/drown in sorrow
- temple of malady
- g/b painland
- 1-of whip because whip rules
- maybe silence the believers?
- chord if calling (a maybe)
- ob nix (a maybe with chord)
- phyrexian revoker (sideboard perhaps?)

Possible white splash for anafenza/banishing light/athreos?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Has regen and has a better mana-sink ability late game. So he's better for the midrange deck and slightly worse for the aggro deck. So I'd say he's sometimes better than putrid leech.

Something along the lines of:

- Deathdealer
- heroes downfall
- courser
- thoughtseize
- sylvan caryatid
- elvish mystic
- reaper of the wilds
- big daddy golgarruck (1-2 of)
- nighthowler
- herald of torment
- polukranos
- bile blight/drown in sorrow
- temple of malady
- g/b painland
- 1-of whip because whip rules
- maybe silence the believers?
- chord if calling (a maybe)
- ob nix (a maybe with chord)
- phyrexian revoker (sideboard perhaps?)

Possible white splash for anafenza/banishing light/athreos?
Splash White for Banishing Light, maybe Anafenza and if another good card for Abzan is spoiled, that, and instead of Silence the Believers the 2WB exile nonland perm would be better.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

neetengie posted:

Splash White for Banishing Light, maybe Anafenza and if another good card for Abzan is spoiled, that, and instead of Silence the Believers the 2WB exile nonland perm would be better.

Holy poo poo you're one hundred percent right on that 2WB exile call.

I could also run that Abzan boardwipe.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo you're one hundred percent right on that 2WB exile call.

I could also run that Abzan boardwipe.
I think that's too risky, but if you test it and ramp into it reliably it wouldn't seem to be bad.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

neetengie posted:

I think that's too risky, but if you test it and ramp into it reliably it wouldn't seem to be bad.

Yeah you may be right, but it's definitely worth some testing. I think just T1 or T2 dork into T3 reaper/polukranos/great creature is a pretty reliable plan for a midrange deck.

T1 Thoughtseize T2 caryatid T3 reaper. If you get the chance to untap you can pretty much just ride that to victory against a lot of things. And it feels great to bestow Nighthowler/boon satyr/herald of torment onto your reaper.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

It's Fires with a different situational upside. :spergin:

But I agree. If you can avoid having mana be an obstacle to dropping it on a relevant turn, it seems loving amazing. Why yes I'll draw all the cards to refill the hand of my green fatty deck.

I'm just imagining casting a Flametongue Kavu with that card in play and I can't stop grinning. R/G Fires was one of the most fun monster decks ever.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm just imagining casting a Flametongue Kavu with that card in play and I can't stop grinning. R/G Fires was one of the most fun monster decks ever.

Too bad raid requires the combat step to already have happened.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Tonetta posted:

Too bad raid requires the combat step to already have happened.

Clearly the answer is to take multiple combat steps per turn, preferably with main phases between them.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Entropic posted:

lol whoever guessed that Gold Tokens were a seed for a bigger mechanic in Khans was almost right

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/delving-pits-2014-09-05

I know this was a few pages ago, but this was me. drat, I was right but they nixed it in development. Oh well, looks like we will see gold again one day.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Sort of odd: they're usually really strict about holding back mechanics they couldn't get to print but still have hope for.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Temur Charm is up! Here's the translation:

quote:

Temur Charm {G}{U}{R}
Instant (Uncommon)
Choose one —
• Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. That creature fights target creature you don't control.
• Counter target spell unless its controller pays {3}.
• Creatures with power 3 or less can't block this turn

Removal, counterspell and a falter. Seems good.

e; Re: Gold: Thing is it's already IN print. It's not like they were unhappy with the mechanic, just how it played out. It's essentially like another Future Sight mechanic now. We'll see it at some point, when it's right.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Interestingly, you can't just use the Charm to put a +1/+1 counter on your dude - you have to fight one of your opponent's creatures, and if your opponent doesn't have any creatures to fight, you can't cast that mode at all. (Assuming the translation is correct.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

Interestingly, you can't just use the Charm to put a +1/+1 counter on your dude - you have to fight one of your opponent's creatures, and if your opponent doesn't have any creatures to fight, you can't cast that mode at all. (Assuming the translation is correct.)

That templating matches the last few fight cards like it wizards have printed, so I would assume it is correct.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jabor posted:

That mode isn't Hunt the Weak- the +1/+1 is only until end of turn. Still, cool card. I like how the falter only effects non-ferocious dudes.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Did this get posted yet?

Deflecting Palm WR
Instant
The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.
If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've always wanted a card specifically for the Boros burn mirror. :geno:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Jesus, that *art*. Makes my hand hurt just looking at it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I like turtles!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Did this get posted yet?

Deflecting Palm WR
Instant
The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.
If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.

Please exchange the demonstration image of this very, very obsolete but nostalgic 90s slang with this card image, tia.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boxman posted:

I've always wanted a card specifically for the Boros burn mirror. :geno:

It's pretty potent against any sort of midrange strategy as well.

I mean, if your opponent attacks you with a Polukranos, it's effectively 5 damage and gain 5 life for RW, which is better than Warleader's Helix at a Boros Charm price.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Basically A Drain Life

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Am I missing what makes that rare?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anybody else thinking that cards that fit in a r/w/b mana seem to be really strong with the cards released so far?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

Am I missing what makes that rare?
gently caress playing around this in limted at uncommon.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Reverse Damage is an ORIGINAL rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

Reverse Damage is an ORIGINAL rare.

It also had art that made no sense with what it does. And also is kinda creepy.

• Locked thread