Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tonton Macoute posted:

Well, Estonia had a police officer kidnapped, Lithuania got this, I wonder what's Latvia's "What are you going to do about this, huh?" provocation going to be.
I think we'll get to know that after elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, all those countries hate Russia... I've got an idea! Make them hate Russia even more!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Imaginary GF posted:

We were allied with Russia, once. If they play by our rules for a few generations, we can be allied with them again.

Russia allying with the west makes no sense. The world is fully revert back to clash of the civilizations mode. And even if Russia doesn't belong to the different Orthodox civilization, the top powers of the world will be fighting for market and resource anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmm, all those countries hate Russia... I've got an idea! Make them hate Russia even more!

Oderint, dum metuant.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Oh hey, look what I found, the Buk used to down MH17 in Russia being driven around by Russian troops.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

whatever7 posted:

Russia allying with the west makes no sense. The world is fully revert back to clash of the civilizations mode. And even if Russia doesn't belong to the different Orthodox civilization, the top powers of the world will be fighting for market and resource anyway.

The what?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my dad posted:

The what?

I am going by the definition in the actual book "Clash of the Civilization" by Samuel Huntington. The guy is an armchair nerd but he did predict it a good 10 year before everybody else.

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RIP brown moses

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

whatever7 posted:

I am going by the definition in the actual book "Clash of the Civilization" by Samuel Huntington. The guy is an armchair nerd but he did predict it a good 10 year before everybody else.

Yeah Huntington and his ideas aren't a secret, they just are basically essentialist to the point of racism.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Welp enjoy your radiation poisoning

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If there is anything more ridiculous than clancychat it is clash of civilizations talk; let's seriously discuss Dugin while we are at it.

Stay safe, Brown Moses!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ardennes posted:

Yeah Huntington and his ideas aren't a secret, they just are basically essentialist to the point of racism.

The idea itself is not racism at all. It can explain the current affairs of the 21st century very well. It can predict the incoming conflict between China and the US in South China Sea too, although obviously not alone line of what Huntington predicted in the end of his book.

Liandar
Feb 2, 2011

You know, things like that make me really doubt all that nonsense about how Soviet Union and Russia are totally different and how Russia was also a victim to the soviet regime. How is not wanting to serve in the oppresive regime's army still a crime in Russia?

kalstrams posted:

I think we'll get to know that after elections.

Congrats on the new avatar, but I have to say that it is a bit dated...

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fatherboxx posted:

If there is anything more ridiculous than clancychat it is clash of civilizations talk; let's seriously discuss Dugin while we are at it.

Stay safe, Brown Moses!

More ridiculous than the idea of Russia joining NATO?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
The so-called "Moldovan little green men" image is from Crimea all the way back from March:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/12/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSBREA1Q1E820140312

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Liandar posted:

Congrats on the new avatar, but I have to say that it is a bit dated...
New avatar?

Edit: Oh, holy poo poo. :laugh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Someone was digging through post histories on that one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukrxplotation: Poroshenko gets an awesome new patch while visiting Mariupol:

For those who don't know: "Ukrop", which means dill, is one of the deregatory names for Ukrainians that has been used in this conflict.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just now on NPR: "I wonder if Russia is providing support to ISIS."

I think Russia is being the bad guy lately and all but what the gently caress? They have a pretty long list of problems with Muslim extremists, many still ongoing. What would they even gain from it? :psyduck:

Two groups of people are doing bad things at the same time, must be related!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I think Russia is being the bad guy lately and all but what the gently caress? They have a pretty long list of problems with Muslim extremists, many still ongoing. What would they even gain from it? :psyduck:

Hitler and Stalin worked together!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

A recent ISIS vid namedropped Putin, threatening him for his support of Assad. I somehow doubt there is much of a need to attribute support of ISIS to him as well.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

whatever7 posted:

The idea itself is not racism at all. It can explain the current affairs of the 21st century very well. It can predict the incoming conflict between China and the US in South China Sea too, although obviously not alone line of what Huntington predicted in the end of his book.

Clash of Civilizations only became popular as a counterpoint to Fukuyama's End of History. Realists in the West like it because it gives them license to pursue naked self interest without consideration for other cultures.

Just because he's right about Ukraine splitting doesn't validate the whole theory. I predicted that too, but it doesn't make me a genius.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Well, subtly manufacturing support for internal factions is one of the things Russia is supposed to be particularly good at. No need for them to be upfront about it even to ISIS.

They gain a distraction for NATO and could potentially lead the West to continue sticking its finger into the Middle East for quite a while. Here in Britain, all the coverage of the NATO conference is 'smash ISIS' this and 'don't need Assad's permission' that. Obviously Russia is the elephant in the room that's going unsaid, but the public seems pretty happy to focus on jihadists as the most terrible and credible threat to us.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Clash of Civilizations only became popular as a counterpoint to Fukuyama's End of History. Realists in the West like it because it gives them license to pursue naked self interest without consideration for other cultures.

Just because he's right about Ukraine splitting doesn't validate the whole theory. I predicted that too, but it doesn't make me a genius.

I just don't see Russia and "The West" integrate economically and cooperate politically in any alternate timeline of the history, short of an alien invasion. They compete for the same world resource and market, and geopolitical influence.

I mean, it makes perfect sense for Ukraine to want to lead toward the West because Ukraine will get more goodies from the West, kind of like Taiwan or Japan's positions in Asia, except Ukraine forgot it has no ocean to protect it from the regional hegemony.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Goodies? Just how condescending can you get. Ukraine is heading towards the West for two reasons:
1) People see how Poland solved the problems with corruption that are plaguing the country, and Russia didn't.
2) Some of Ukrainian citizens remember the horrific crimes of Soviet and Russian governments against the Ukrainian people and do not buy the "brotherly peoples" propaganda fig leaf. (The only brothly thing is that the Russians were abused quite a bit, too).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

whatever7 posted:

I just don't see Russia and "The West" integrate economically and cooperate politically in any alternate timeline of the history, short of an alien invasion. They compete for the same world resource and market, and geopolitical influence.

I mean, it makes perfect sense for Ukraine to want to lead toward the West because Ukraine will get more goodies from the West, kind of like Taiwan or Japan's positions in Asia, except Ukraine forgot it has no ocean to protect it from the regional hegemony.

The issue is that they just doesn't much have to do with "civilizations," culture or religion when it is rather predictable political differences. If anything according to Huntington the Balkans pretty much all fall under the "Orthodox" world when they really have nothing to do with the current conflict.

If his theory made sense then Bulgaria and Romania would be on Russia's side when they clearly aren't.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

What are the repercussions that Russia can get for its now completely proven targeted slaughter of 300 neutral civilians by Russian soldiers while they were undertaking a terrorist attack in Ukraine? Or will this be completely ignored?

Finlander fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 8, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Finlander posted:

What are the repercussions that Russia can get for its now completely proven targeted slaughter of 300 neutral civilians by Russian soldiers while they were undertaking a terrorist attack in Ukraine? Or will this be completely ignored?

Maybe more sanctions?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Finlander posted:

All that is proven is that the BUK was Russian. There's nothing in the article about the crew. It's great read, you should actually do it before going full-auto lunatic style speech mode.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Finlander posted:

I am still hearing loads of denial from Russian supporters or conspiracy nuts that this is all fabricated lies made by the Jews who control the world and want to destroy Putin who decided to challenge them for authority and save his people. Most of us trust Brown Moses' work but the rest of the world sees his work as that of a conspiracy nut who cites his sources better than the rest. :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I am still hearing loads of denial from Russian supporters or conspiracy nuts that this is all fabricated lies made by the Jews who control the world and want to destroy Putin who decided to challenge them for authority and save his people. Most of us trust Brown Moses' work but the rest of the world sees his work as that of a conspiracy nut who cites his sources better than the rest. :(

I don't know if it's the name or the subject matters or what but I have a hard time convincing people that Bellingcat is legit and not a wingnut conspiracy site. First reaction is universally negative and I have to sit and walk them through some of the investigations on the site before they consider otherwise.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

The issue is that they just doesn't much have to do with "civilizations," culture or religion when it is rather predictable political differences. If anything according to Huntington the Balkans pretty much all fall under the "Orthodox" world when they really have nothing to do with the current conflict.

If his theory made sense then Bulgaria and Romania would be on Russia's side when they clearly aren't.

Yeah, I would argue that half these civilizations (if we accept their existence) are more involved in internal conflicts than conflicts with each other and that largely invalidates his 'fault line' theory. They aren't monolithic blocks, and to view them as such is over simplistic.

For example:

The Muslim civilization is struggling with fundamentalism that crosses state borders.

A good amount Sub-Saharan Africa have been fighting a war in the Congo for ~20 years, or dealing with the repercussions there from.

In the 'Eastern world' China still sees itself as expansionist while the Buddhist states largely hate each other, even if they aren't in hot wars.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Someone was digging through post histories on that one.

Probably archaeo or whatever his name is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Huntington has been far more successful at predicting the twenty-first century than the usual slew of culture-ignoring neoliberal/Marxist analysts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

Huntington has been far more successful at predicting the twenty-first century than the usual slew of culture-ignoring neoliberal/Marxist analysts.

So tell me when French Guyana is going to declare independence.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Realism is experiencing a bit of a comeback, but to be fair most Marxist IR schools draw heavily on culture.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

Exactly nothing is going to happen even if the crew admits it live on BBC. And this is only partially :argh: Russia, the Americans who shot down the Iranian airliner got medals for it, and I don't recall anyone getting in trouble in other incidence either. But gently caress Russia anyway.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Huntington's specific forecast in Clash of Civilizations was that Ukraine would most likely "remain united, remain cleft, remain independent and generally cooperate closely with Russia", which follows as a direct result of his idea that Ukraine is part of the same civilisation as Russia -- "The Russian-Ukrainian relationship ... is the core essential to unity in the Orthodox world". If anything what the current crisis has shown is that Russia is going its own, specifically Russian way, and that the 'Orthodox world' is a phantasm. I don't know where people are getting the idea that the current crisis has proven him to be a great prophet.

And as far as this goes:

Phlegmish posted:

Do you have any particular analysts in mind here? I struggle to think of any major IR theorists who outright deny or ignore the presence of meaningful cultural differences, whether among the American neo/neo consensus or in alternative interpretations. Certainly the various streams of constructivists, 'postmodernists', and neo-Gramscians -- the latter being the most important brand of Marxist analyst in contemporary IR -- can't be accused of ignoring culture when to a large extent it's their entire focus.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Radio Prune posted:

Probably archaeo or whatever his name is.

Probably the same person who bought me this one. Although I am a bit gutted that I didn't warrant the effort of a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Reports that one country is blocking further EU sanctions on Russia. Somehow I am reminded of liberum veto...

• Locked thread