Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

poptart_fairy posted:

Smart rear end. :colbert:

And man, bit disappointed with the performance of Estocs at 40/40. The Chancellor's rapier and a regular rapier already deal significant damage, and the boost I get from counter attacks is absolutely massive due to the 140 bonus. Tempted to drop those 32 points of extra strength and put them into ATT or something. Comedy option: add them to my 32 ADP and try to get 115 agility up from 105.

Sadly I have never found a situation where points spent for "scaling" are not better spent somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My new pet peeve is the censorship of names. I know it can be disabled locally, but it kind of bothers me that my Faith/Strength character "Holy Knight" shows up as "**ly K***ht" on other people's games. That's just horrible.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Jester T**mas

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That kind of censorship is hilarious because it always makes everything seem so much dirtier than if they had just left it alone, leaving the other person baffled as to what they could have put there. "**lu K***ht? Haven't heard that one before".

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The best are the 4 letter censored parts like "hell", because everyone will just read it as "gently caress"

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Eh, I can sort of understand the censoring. Some people might get rightfully pissed if they saw players with names like "Fart", "Dog" or "Angrydragon".

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
how does regex work
- from software 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Small and Blue posted:

Some people might get rightfully pissed if they saw players with names like "Fart", "Dog" or "Angrydragon".
as opposed to, say, the other player invading them in a clown costume and brutally backstabbing them before dancing on their corpse?

Seems a bit schizophrenic, although there's probably some legal idea behind it

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 8, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
bad words are Not Okay

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

THE ********** posted:

bad **** are Not ****
gently caress that

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Angrydragon is my trigger word

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Remember the Dragon Head Glitch way back from DS1, and how it's apparently been finally fixed?

How they fixed it is rather lazy: they special-cased the Dragon Breathing animation so that it only throws the flame effect and nothing else. In other words, they didn't actually fix the bug.

This is rather depressing for me, as it means no psychic wave attack, but I'll live.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 8, 2014

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Since caestus only was one of my favourite DS1 challenge playthroughs I thought it would be fun to do the same in DS2. Turns out powerstanced caestus are actually pretty good now. Like, really good. As in, it was by far the easiest playthrough I've done despite the complete lack of shield or ranged attacks. Elana and Sinh went down on my first attempt even though this was only my second character fighting them, and they'd given my previous guy a huge amount of trouble. Though I guess the real Dark Souls test is going to be when I try Fume Knight tonight...

The L1 double punch just comes out so quickly as has such a quick recovery that enemies can't punish you for over committing, most things that aren't DLC enemies get their poise immediately broken by it, and by the time you've got RoB+1 and Flynn's Ring your DPS is just absurd.

Seriously, everyone needs to try this at least once. I don't know if I want to go back to using actual weapons ever again.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't understand powerstance. It's only for dual wielding? I would've liked a "you meet 150% of the stats required, you are now a master" with 1h/shield or 2h.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

turtlecrunch posted:

Sadly I have never found a situation where points spent for "scaling" are not better spent somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm gonna reassign the excess STR when I get home. A Dexterity build has served me well so far anyway - absolutely destroy anything if I'm on the ball with avoidance. Might even put those points into stamina, to match my equally silly HP level.

That said...anyone got input on the Ancient Dragon's Curved Sword weapon? Does the special attack make up for its generally slow speed?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Firstborn posted:

I don't understand powerstance. It's only for dual wielding? I would've liked a "you meet 150% of the stats required, you are now a master" with 1h/shield or 2h.

It's a whole different move set for groups of similar weapons, allowing more flexibility in the way you fight. The devs are obviously trying to encourage people to play without a shield, so they introduced this mechanic.

#NoShields2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Firstborn posted:

If you simply dual-wield weapons, they retain their respective movesets and you can't attack with both at the same time. With powerstance only the weapon in the right hand retains its moveset while the left hand gains the new powerset moveset which differs from combination to combination.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

EC posted:

It's a whole different move set for groups of similar weapons, allowing more flexibility in the way you fight. The devs are obviously trying to encourage people to play without a shield, so they introduced this mechanic.

#NoShields2014

I've been using the Greatsword lately and it wrecks. It feels so good to kill whatever enemy in 1-2 swings, and taking fat chunks off a boss' lifebar. Even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring I still am dangerously close to breaking it without a back-up weapon, though. I also sometimes block with it... I think it has 70% PhysDef.

I think it's because it slams into the floor so often, but I'm not sure if that counts like walls for lowering durability.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The issue in prior Souls games was unless you were two-handing there just wasn't much disincentive to use a shield, and 2H users could wear a shield with a beneficial effect on their backs to get something out of the trade. They wanted to encourage a strict tradeoff to offense vs. defense, but dual wielding weapons just wasn't viable. So they introduced movesets working properly in the left hand and powerstance as a way to diversify and incentivize dual wielding.

Some powerstance L1/L2 moves are devastating in terms of the damage and poise they do, and powerstancing also allows you to mix up a moveset and become more unpredictable. One big advantage experience gives you in PvP is you know what a player can do with the weapon he or she is wielding. With powerstance (and potentially weapon swapping and the invisible weapon rings), you have to remember and expect a much broader variety of attacks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Booyeah! Beat the FK at only 500k SM with only a single Lord Soul and only like 90 AGL! Gonna wreck the rest of this game with the Fume UGS.

Turns out the secret was to simply turn off lock on and run away most of the time instead of trying to dodge all of his attacks by rolling.

This crown is completely useless to my pure STR build but gently caress it, I'm wearing it anyway. I've earned this.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 8, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I will be devastated if we can't wear all three crowns at once at the end of the final DLC.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

What TF2 did for the FPS, DS2 shall do for the action-adventure

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Crowns are gonna come together like the Fused Shadow from Twilight Princess and we're gonna get into a giant monster fist fight with a reborn Manus.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is the Bloodied Whip a tough drop? The wiki says they drop from enemies in Huntsman's Copse, but I don't even remember a whip-wielding enemy. I have a feeling even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring the Old Whip isn't going to last me from bonfire to bonfire.

As silly as it may be, I wish the Item Box was shared between characters.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Firstborn posted:

Is the Bloodied Whip a tough drop? The wiki says they drop from enemies in Huntsman's Copse, but I don't even remember a whip-wielding enemy. I have a feeling even with the Bracing Knuckle Ring the Old Whip isn't going to last me from bonfire to bonfire.
There are whip-wielding guys on the road to Undead Purgatory.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really hope the last DLC has the dragonbone fist or its equivalent. Uppercutting people in Dark Souls 1 was magical.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Suitaru posted:

What TF2 did for the FPS, DS2 shall do for the action-adventure

Afraid TF2 has been de-hatted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257710

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nakar posted:

Some powerstance L1/L2 moves are devastating in terms of the damage and poise they do, and powerstancing also allows you to mix up a moveset and become more unpredictable. One big advantage experience gives you in PvP is you know what a player can do with the weapon he or she is wielding. With powerstance (and potentially weapon swapping and the invisible weapon rings), you have to remember and expect a much broader variety of attacks.

I haven't found any powerstance moves which make me want to use them over just 2handing something, other than obviously buggy combos that let you swing weapons with the wrong moveset. Powerstancing is handy with some of the faster weapons because it lets you dump your whole stamina bar into a boss while they're vulnerable but otherwise it feels gimmicky.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really hope the last DLC has the dragonbone fist or its equivalent. Uppercutting people in Dark Souls 1 was magical.

This is obviously going to happen, they wouldn't waste the Heihachi moveset right? :ohdear:

The only reason I have even a sliver of hope for this happening is that they actually used the loving Artorias moveset V:)V

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bobnumerotres posted:

It wasn't just any ordinary uppercut, it was a full up over the top flaming asian guy SHORYUKEN!~ style uppercut.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Back again looking for help, this time with Sinh. NG run, 1.1mil soul memory, Steam ID is sweetNorris. My afternoon delight is dragon-slaying; please help me make this a reality, I am really quite terrible.

Edit: Done, nevermind!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 8, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It wasn't just any ordinary uppercut, it was a full up over the top flaming asian guy SHORYUKEN!~ style uppercut.

http://youtu.be/XahQ5rLoOtg?t=1m

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I long for the days of the subdued, grounded movesets of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

Back again looking for help, this time with Sinh. NG run, 1.1mil soul memory, Steam ID is sweetNorris. My afternoon delight is dragon-slaying; please help me make this a reality, I am really quite terrible.

Added you as LotusGramarye.

e: oh nvm then

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I long for the days of the subdued, grounded movesets of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was invaded in the king's passageway by the glass knight, twice actually. Killed him the first time then he got me. He played it really well, had the whole set and even threw some lightning at me. The best part was after he killed me he just strolled back towards the entrance. 5/5

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Someone invaded me last night in FOFG. I'm not new to the franchise but still wrapping my head around changes between DS1 and DS2 so I was prepared to get wrecked. I see another message pop up that glosses over me as I'm frantically swapping weapons, getting inventory poo poo ready and whatnot.

Guy finds me in the area where the Heide knight hangs out, hes got the biggest loving LOLJapan phallic replacement sword I've ever seen so I'm kind of dismayed since I know I'm hosed. He charges toward me, starts to swing while I sit there like a deer in headlights (I forgot to do the final exit out of the menu system). Out of nowhere, this blue dude with a giant fuckoff axe rockets in from offscreen in some crazyass jumping attack, taking a massive amount of health off the invader then follows it up with a few other swings and finishes him off. I had no idea what was going on, totally forgot about joining that Covenant in Majula.

Craziest poo poo I've seen in a Souls game, I just wish I had been recording when it happened.

Thank you blue hero :3:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I just found out there is a Dark Souls reference in Destiny.

It has attunement and slots called "Praise the Sun". I'm sure tons of other games have Dark Souls references. I know Borderlands has an entire mission that is one big Dark Souls reference.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RabidWeasel posted:

This is obviously going to happen, they wouldn't waste the Heihachi moveset right? :ohdear:

The only reason I have even a sliver of hope for this happening is that they actually used the loving Artorias moveset V:)V

Forget the Heihachi moveset, never mind that I went through the effort of adding flash kicks and flaming shoryukens to it.

I'm more hoping that they fix the Energy Sword moveset. There's an exact copy of the Longsword moveset, except it casts Soul Greatsword on every swing and has neutered attack power. Imagine my disappointment when I found out the whole moveset is bugged and the Soul Greatsword part doesn't show up online.

In fact, I may be insane, but I'm pretty sure that all the DLC movesets are bugged and don't show their attack auras. I think if you watch someone else try to stab themselves with Alonne's katana, the gray mist that's supposed to show up on the sword as they execute the move is missing.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Just got a hatemail "haha ur trash"

From a guy in smelterhavels, gowers ring, spamming dark orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I'm more hoping that they fix the Energy Sword moveset. There's an exact copy of the Longsword moveset, except it casts Soul Greatsword on every swing and has neutered attack power. Imagine my disappointment when I found out the whole moveset is bugged and the Soul Greatsword part doesn't show up online.

Holding out hope for that moonlight longsword thing in the next dlc now.