Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

i know you explained it but I'm still not sure what this means.

It means they had to make the burgers as they were ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember during my second year in uni, I had a polisci professor who was pretty nakedly a GOP shill. One of the many things he did in class was to say "Hey, I pay income taxes, unlike you moochers!"

I took an anthropology course during my brief stint in college, and the instructor showed us a video that was pure mega-corporation propaganda. The entire thing was, "See these people picking coffee beans for $.26/day? Without the wonders of modern global corporations, these people would have NO money." Then, every couple of minutes, a "you are feeling very sleepy"-style voice-over would say, "Globalization is good." Holy poo poo it was loving creepy.

beatlegs posted:

I see that FOX News has picked up the Heritage Foundation's bullshit math about how raising the MW will raise fast food prices by 15% or whatever. It's being disseminated and rammed into the public consciousness as we speak.

Even assuming the number is true, how is it important? Why is it that food, shelter, and basic health care are not rights, but "continuing to make x% profit" somehow is? Where is this bizarre idea coming from? "I've been making 22% profit for fifteen years. If this law passes, I will only be making 19.5% profit. This is the end of commerce as we know it!" Finally, how is it so hard to understand that people with more money spend more money? People who make a living wage can afford to pay $.48 more per value meal.

It's disgusting that terrorist threats are considered not only reasonable, but somehow the sympathy ends up being spent on the people threatening to further crush the already downtrodden.

"Oh, you want to be able to keep a roof over your family's head while working a total of only 55 hours per week at two jobs? I guess I'll just have to threaten to replace you with machinery until you stop trying to improve your situation."

"See? Do you see what you made that poor business-owner do? It's your own fault you're living under the awning of an abandoned building, and eating grasshoppers for protein. If only you had passively continued to allow yourself to be abused and exploited, this would never have happened."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BiggerBoat posted:

i know you explained it but I'm still not sure what this means.

Just In Time

Basically, it's a manufacturing methodology where instead of producing a large amount of stock which is kept in warehouses, you produce only as much as needed in the immediate future. In the automotive industry they might do this by producing enough cars to fill the sales lots and then letting each sale trigger the production of a new car. The result is that you minimize the number of cars that need to be sold at a loss when you roll out the next year's model.

The manufacturing facility that I worked at was called "Wendy's". I worked at a number of stations including the sales department up at the registers. Working the grill is a complicated process where a mistake can result in customers getting sick or even dying. Forecasting was an essential part of the job, I'd have to keep an eye on the number of customers in line to make sure that I was cooking meat patties to just barely cover the demand. A certain amount of waste was acceptable because it could be re-purposed into chili meat, but there's a limit.

The scar on my arm is from the potato oven.

The chemical vats were full of oil that were used to cook chicken and french fries.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just In Time

Basically, it's a manufacturing methodology where instead of producing a large amount of stock which is kept in warehouses, you produce only as much as needed in the immediate future. In the automotive industry they might do this by producing enough cars to fill the sales lots and then letting each sale trigger the production of a new car. The result is that you minimize the number of cars that need to be sold at a loss when you roll out the next year's model.

The manufacturing facility that I worked at was called "Wendy's". I worked at a number of stations including the sales department up at the registers. Working the grill is a complicated process where a mistake can result in customers getting sick or even dying. Forecasting was an essential part of the job, I'd have to keep an eye on the number of customers in line to make sure that I was cooking meat patties to just barely cover the demand. A certain amount of waste was acceptable because it could be re-purposed into chili meat, but there's a limit.

The chemical vats were full of oil that were used to cook chicken and french fries.

Out of curiosity, what do people generally state you should be earning from the "manufacturing facility" when you describe being a fry-cook like that?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alkydere posted:

Out of curiosity, what do people generally state you should be earning from the "manufacturing facility" when you describe being a fry-cook like that?

Generally they'll agree that $15 to $20 is probably a good range.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just In Time

Well when you describe fast-food truthfully of course its going to sound bad. :rolleyes:

:v:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Currently on the front page of Foxnews.com:

They mean it this time. This is the one!

So I assume Fox News blew the lid right off this whole Benghazi thing and now Congress is united in drawing up articles of impeachment?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

beatlegs posted:

I see that FOX News has picked up the Heritage Foundation's bullshit math about how raising the MW will raise fast food prices by 15% or whatever. It's being disseminated and rammed into the public consciousness as we speak.

Awesome how we have a "liberal" media that will surely call it for what it is (not).

Don't look over here.

And especially don't look over here.

It's definitely the poors that are taking all your wages!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It sounds like you didn't get proper grill skills training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbVDQKcxg00

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Generally they'll agree that $15 to $20 is probably a good range.

Of course, as soon as you say "And that factory is known as Wendy's", they drop it down to minimum wage? :v:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alkydere posted:

Of course, as soon as you say "And that factory is known as Wendy's", they drop it down to minimum wage? :v:

Pretty much. I think I ought to find a way to write it out well and try it out as a speech if my city council ever votes on increasing the wage or something.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pretty much. I think I ought to find a way to write it out well and try it out as a speech if my city council ever votes on increasing the wage or something.

You might want to run. For something.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Centripetal Horse posted:

I took an anthropology course during my brief stint in college, and the instructor showed us a video that was pure mega-corporation propaganda. The entire thing was, "See these people picking coffee beans for $.26/day? Without the wonders of modern global corporations, these people would have NO money." Then, every couple of minutes, a "you are feeling very sleepy"-style voice-over would say, "Globalization is good." Holy poo poo it was loving creepy.
What sort of anthropology course did you take? In my experience most of the courses veer leftist, if not outright Marxist. Most of the majors as well. I'm Social Democratic, but a buddy of mine is an out-and-out Communist. This is especially true in Cultural Anthro, but it bleeds over into archaeology as well.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

KiteAuraan posted:

What sort of anthropology course did you take? In my experience most of the courses veer leftist, if not outright Marxist. Most of the majors as well. I'm Social Democratic, but a buddy of mine is an out-and-out Communist. This is especially true in Cultural Anthro, but it bleeds over into archaeology as well.

It has been quite a while, but as I remember, it was a 100-level Introduction to Anthropology class. There seemed to be an awful lot of focus on economics, and from a number of conversations that happened in class, I got the impression that the instructor had quite a lot of money. The materials and discussions in that class that involved money could definitely not be mistaken for leftist. I am not kidding when I say the video I mentioned in my last post was creepy. There would be footage of, say, a group of bedraggled half-naked men and women milling about outside a block of crumbling hovels, accompanied by a discussion of how some global produce conglomerate had given these people jobs smashing open coconuts with their foreheads, and how lucky these people were to have jobs smashing open coconuts with their foreheads. Then, the voiceover would come on and say, "Globalization is good."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

It has been quite a while, but as I remember, it was a 100-level Introduction to Anthropology class. There seemed to be an awful lot of focus on economics, and from a number of conversations that happened in class, I got the impression that the instructor had quite a lot of money. The materials and discussions in that class that involved money could definitely not be mistaken for leftist. I am not kidding when I say the video I mentioned in my last post was creepy. There would be footage of, say, a group of bedraggled half-naked men and women milling about outside a block of crumbling hovels, accompanied by a discussion of how some global produce conglomerate had given these people jobs smashing open coconuts with their foreheads, and how lucky these people were to have jobs smashing open coconuts with their foreheads. Then, the voiceover would come on and say, "Globalization is good."

It's been a bit since undergrad, but I can't imagine this not resulting in angry trips to the dean's office.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If it's a freshman intro course and enough years back to be foggy, I can. Highschool-plus-a-year kids has never heard of globalization back then, and you're basically assuring them that their 90s tech wasn't assembled by slaves.

This is where awareness slacktivism can actually matter: Providing the other half of the information when the profiting side's narrative is the only one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's been a bit since undergrad, but I can't imagine this not resulting in angry trips to the dean's office.

It was worse for my GOP shill polisci professor because he was on the Social Sciences Dean's Council. They're basically a right-wing circlejerk, and they hold "debates" regularly at my school and put up posters saying "RESOLVED: Mitt Romney should be the next president/all gun control should be unconstitutional/etc"

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Matt Walsh is back with another article, and I don't know why, but this one really got my blood boiling.

I won't quote the whole thing because it's, as usual, way too long and verbose. That said, I honestly had trouble sleeping after reading this, I was so angry with it. A sample:

Matt Walsh posted:

The synopsis on your website says that the pro-infanticide film After Tiller paints a “humanizing” portrait of the “doctors” who openly kill fully developed babies who could survive outside of the womb — if they weren’t first poisoned or dismembered by these very “courageous” medical professionals.

Imagine if you aired a documentary which painted slaveowners or Klan members as compassionate. You’d be condemned across the globe, funding would be cut, the President would publicly admonish you, and thousands of death threats would fill up your mailbox. But, instead, you broadcast a love letter to people who kill infants, and a mob of morally bankrupted liberals celebrate you for it.

Still, I don’t condone aborting abortionists. I think it’s morally wrong, but only a fool would act as though they don’t understand why a man who made millions through putting children down like rabid dogs at the kennel might be the target of considerable and passionate disapproval.
I hope his killer has asked for God’s forgiveness, but I also hope that the many people who feel no anger in the face of such unspeakable atrocities have also begged for the Lord’s mercy. I can tell you this: those who sit silently and condone the violent destruction of innocent children are, without question, guilty of a sin as serious as, if not more serious than, the man who let his disgust at these crimes against humanity get the best of him.

Late term abortions are not done out of concern for the “health of the mother,” and under no circumstance is a third trimester abortion necessary to save a mother’s life.

While real doctors work to save these children, blood thirsty, perverted, despicable, degenerate quacks charge enormous sums of money to steal their lives away.

The lies I can handle, Matt Walsh is a liar by trade. What bothers me significantly more is the overheated rhetoric that's so common to pro-life people. Despite his protestations to the contrary, it's clear that Walsh really doesn't have a problem with the guy who shot Dr. Tiller, and that angers me more than just about anything else. Because if he actually doesn't, and he (and those like him) really believe that abortion is equivalent to murder, then why do they act so shocked when someone hauls off and kills one of these doctors? And, more to the point, why aren't they killing them themselves? He casually compares these people to slavers, klansmen and nazis, and yet somehow tries to pull the reigns at the last second and suggest that he doesn't think killing them is morally right (although being pro-choice is significantly worse, in his estimation, than killing a doctor). gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just In Time

One other benefit of just-in-time is that you have less capital stuck in warehouses at any given time and less storage fees so its valuable even in a commodity example where having out of date product is not a concern. Also, if any product defect is noticed at the customer, it is less material that requires sorting or scrapping. That said, it is extremely annoying to deal with when you work in the US but manufacture abroad because any hiccup in production means multiple consecutive days of 8am / 9pm conference calls and stress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JohnClark posted:

Matt Walsh is back with another article, and I don't know why, but this one really got my blood boiling.

I won't quote the whole thing because it's, as usual, way too long and verbose. That said, I honestly had trouble sleeping after reading this, I was so angry with it. A sample:

The lies I can handle, Matt Walsh is a liar by trade. What bothers me significantly more is the overheated rhetoric that's so common to pro-life people. Despite his protestations to the contrary, it's clear that Walsh really doesn't have a problem with the guy who shot Dr. Tiller, and that angers me more than just about anything else. Because if he actually doesn't, and he (and those like him) really believe that abortion is equivalent to murder, then why do they act so shocked when someone hauls off and kills one of these doctors? And, more to the point, why aren't they killing them themselves? He casually compares these people to slavers, klansmen and nazis, and yet somehow tries to pull the reigns at the last second and suggest that he doesn't think killing them is morally right (although being pro-choice is significantly worse, in his estimation, than killing a doctor). gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

It jibes with typical far-right nonsense. Babies in the womb are the most sacred creatures on the planet. But once you're born? gently caress you. No compassion or empathy for you!

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
Any debunkings of the article Walsh linked to when he said, "under no circumstance is a third trimester abortion necessary to save a mother’s life."?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Time to read Zinn posted:

Any debunkings of the article Walsh linked to when he said, "under no circumstance is a third trimester abortion necessary to save a mother’s life."?

Here's one case from December 2012, in Ireland.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Time to read Zinn posted:

http://whatismattwalshwrongabouttoday.com doesn't seem to have updated recently, but it's still worth checking any time Walsh pops up.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It jibes with typical far-right nonsense. Babies in the womb are the most sacred creatures on the planet. But once you're born? gently caress you. No compassion or empathy for you!

Government can't be trusted to provide access to health care for its citizens, but it should be used to coerce women into making personal medical decisions that align with radical Christian dogma.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

Government can't be trusted to provide access to health care for its citizens, but it should be used to coerce women into making personal medical decisions that align with radical Christian dogma.

I laugh if you think they want women making the decisions at all. They are anti-choice through and through, and that's where this entire thing comes from. Every word about saving fetus's is pure and total post-hoc justification because they know screaming "SLUTS!" weakens their stance, as you can tell by the screaming idiots and how they react to increases welfare payments for single mothers or providing effective birth control free or under health care - you know, things that would actually decrease the abortion rate, not just kill a whole lot more women in back alleys.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Even assuming the number is true, how is it important? Why is it that food, shelter, and basic health care are not rights, but "continuing to make x% profit" somehow is? Where is this bizarre idea coming from? "I've been making 22% profit for fifteen years. If this law passes, I will only be making 19.5% profit. This is the end of commerce as we know it!" Finally, how is it so hard to understand that people with more money spend more money? People who make a living wage can afford to pay $.48 more per value meal.

It's disgusting that terrorist threats are considered not only reasonable, but somehow the sympathy ends up being spent on the people threatening to further crush the already downtrodden.

"Oh, you want to be able to keep a roof over your family's head while working a total of only 55 hours per week at two jobs? I guess I'll just have to threaten to replace you with machinery until you stop trying to improve your situation."

"See? Do you see what you made that poor business-owner do? It's your own fault you're living under the awning of an abandoned building, and eating grasshoppers for protein. If only you had passively continued to allow yourself to be abused and exploited, this would never have happened."

I got something similar in high school where someone came in and tried to explain to us how sweatshops in Asia are good because they give people jobs and they would have nothing else in their lives anyway if not for the benevolent corporations. I didn't think of it at the time because I wasn't politically aware yet but looking back it was blatant corporate apologist garbage.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

See, the lower division intro class I took didn't focus too much on globalization, but a lot of it was negative. Then I took a course on humans and production, which was basically about how terrible globalization is for people and the environment. But I can see an older course being a bit more ethnocentric, that's something we've really only started to discard recently in the field.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

JohnClark posted:

People like him are cowards of the lowest order - they poo poo on the reputation of someone who was murdered for being a good person trying to help women in need in spite of the risks. The anti-abortion scum keep trying to demonize Dr. Tiller as some kind of baby-death-for-profit monster when he was anything but. Dr. Tiller is no longer with us because of that incendiary rhetoric and demonizing of his reputation, so he can no longer defend himself in his own words. However, we do have interviews with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5TugO8Zl3o

The dark heart of the anti-abortion movement reveals itself when they celebrate an actual murderer who murdered someone in church, while making GBS threads on the victim - who was by all objective accounts, a good person.

Also - The moral bankruptcy of the anti-abortion extremists is to me an example of the lazy kind of 'MCMorality' you see among religious extremists in general, where they latch onto easy vulnerable targets and lazy reasoning in a phony moral high ground.

Abortion is a complicated issue that is an easy target for lazy, cowardly, vile people who want to feel like powerful moral crusaders because they can scream 'BABYKILLER' at anyone who disagrees with them. It's a very lazy and fake form of morality, which doesn't require any serious thought at all. Real morality is tough to grapple with, and requires careful thought and consideration. McMorality is just the cheap fakery of bullies, wretches, tyrants and cowards trying to puff themselves up.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 8, 2014

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A large group of black kids randomly attacked a white guy and a couple employees at a Kroger in Memphis this weekend. I expect this to get some coverage over the next couple days.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/clip/10559219/breaking-group-of-teenagers-caught-on-camera-beating-kroger-employee

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Spacedad posted:

People like him are cowards of the lowest order - they poo poo on the reputation of someone who was murdered for being a good person trying to help women in need in spite of the risks. The anti-abortion scum keep trying to demonize Dr. Tiller as some kind of baby-death-for-profit monster when he was anything but. Dr. Tiller is no longer with us because of that incendiary rhetoric and demonizing of his reputation, so he can no longer defend himself in his own words. However, we do have interviews with him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5TugO8Zl3o

The dark heart of the anti-abortion movement reveals itself when they celebrate an actual murderer who murdered someone in church, while making GBS threads on the victim - who was by all objective accounts, a good person.

Also - The moral bankruptcy of the anti-abortion extremists is to me an example of the lazy kind of 'MCMorality' you see among religious extremists in general, where they latch onto easy vulnerable targets and lazy reasoning in a phony moral high ground.

Abortion is a complicated issue that is an easy target for lazy, cowardly, vile people who want to feel like powerful moral crusaders because they can scream 'BABYKILLER' at anyone who disagrees with them. It's a very lazy and fake form of morality, which doesn't require any serious thought at all. Real morality is tough to grapple with, and requires careful thought and consideration. McMorality is just the cheap fakery of bullies, wretches, tyrants and cowards trying to puff themselves up.

In their minds, they're just exhibiting common sense. A baby is a baby from the moment of conception. All this liberal fiddle faddle about the rights of the woman and the exact nature of the sentience of fetuses and embryos are just a big smokescreen to confuse honest folks like us. Ectopic pregnancies? What are those? Eh, no matter. Didn't take no biology courses in my homeschool collective or lovely public school anyhow.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/09/08/new-low-for-fox-friends-joking-about-ray-rice-elevator-assault/

holy poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cracker posted:

A large group of black kids randomly attacked a white guy and a couple employees at a Kroger in Memphis this weekend. I expect this to get some coverage over the next couple days.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/clip/10559219/breaking-group-of-teenagers-caught-on-camera-beating-kroger-employee

How does anyone know it was random?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I love that they didn't actually even focus on the real gross part of that.

They then, after reading tweets of what a bad message not punishing Rice sends, say 'well she married him, and Rihanna went back to Brown, THAT sends a bad message'.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:lol:

Remember ladies you are to obey your man at all times, right up until doing that makes him look bad and then jesus what the gently caress were you thinking you idiot?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Good question, but it's hard to defend the laughter, brutality, ignorance ("call...um...what's that number? Call somebody.") and seemingly casual nature of the people filming and being filmed. I don't care how liberal you or I pretend to be.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

cracker posted:

One already arrested and charged. Three others detained for questioning and likely facing charges soon.

The system works!

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

are you suggesting that the mob targeted that individual for a nontrivial reason or that the victims weren't really victims?

Miltank fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 8, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

Good question, but it's hard to defend the laughter, brutality, ignorance ("call...um...what's that number? Call somebody.") and seemingly casual nature of the people filming and being filmed. I don't care how liberal you or I pretend to be.

We don't have to defend anything, I'm just questioning the assumption that black people just sort of glitch out and start doing unprovoked violence to whites like daleks or something. For all we know that Kroger employee deserved it.

Also this will certainly be used as an example of the downfall of society or how millenials have no morals or something when I lament every day that we didn't instantly accessible recording in the 1920's to watch drunken white sailors beat the piss out of each other in the streets. Less-frequent violence with more-frequent documentation tricks too many people into thinking that violence is happening more often.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Motherfucker had it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

Motherfucker had it coming.

Maybe he did or didn't, but if you saw a bunch of white dudes kicking the poo poo out of a guy there would undoubtedly be less impulse to frame it as random or the knockout game or whatever stupidity.