Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

quote:

Deep Breath

Deep Breath was the premiere of the revival's 8th season and the introduction of The Twelfth Doctor.

Plot Summary

edit: unlimited hata pudding snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Potsticker posted:

Why does that wiki have the weird POV callout boxes, anyway?

It's all to do with Wikia being a piece-of-poo poo host/site in general.

The upshot is that, as long as we keep to the terms of its CC-BY-SA license, we can legally fork it from a readily-accessible database dump.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

It's all to do with Wikia being a piece-of-poo poo host/site in general.

The upshot is that, as long as we keep to the terms of its CC-BY-SA license, we can legally fork it from a readily-accessible database dump.

Did you see my direct tweet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been rewatching The Reign of Terror and I loving love love love Hartnell's plan to infiltrate the prison backfiring on him and the way he just rolls with it with complete and total confidence, ending up (of course!) face to face with Robespierre expected to speak as an expert on a province he knows nothing about... and completely taking control of the conversation and leaving Robespierre venting grumpily about how nobody understands how tough it is being the guy who is having everybody murdered for not doing what they're told.

Also...

Billy the Pimp :swoon:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to write the real world POV article on Doctor Who/Godzilla fan fiction.

aw, now I want a whole episode where the antagonist is basically a kaiju, and the Doctor, speaking fluent Monster, has to argue it out of killing everyone.
So, like a whole episode of the beginning of Deep Breath, I guess, but with Godzilla, and no regeneration sickness. Or the Paternosters. At all.
MODERN TIMES. Monster rampaging through downtown London. I would be okay if they made really cheap small scale episodes an entire season in order to afford decent CGI to render the kaiju. WORTH IT.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Wow, the new Doctor is really coming into his own now with this episode. I was grinning ear to ear start to finish.

I really feel like he has the potential to be arguably the greatest doctor of all time - it's just a matter of time before the material aligns perfectly with Capaldi's brilliant performing. He's an acting heavyweight so it is going to be a slow burn, like a thing with giant mass moving slowly but with crushing force.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Was the Sheriff's death fall a reference to Alan Rickman in Die Hard via Prince of Thieves, or is that a bit of a stretch?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I finally saw the episode. It was okay, I think my favorite of the season so far (although I liked the second half of Deep Breath and portions of Into the Dalek a lot). I think the beginning with the Doctor and Robin bickering actually went on a bit long and started to grate, but it picked up a lot once they got out of prison. It was interesting to see how Capaldi did with one of the more comedic, fun, lighthearted episodes, where the other characters play historical figures and chew on the scenery. I actually think he came off as a bit petty and mean in the beginning, and not in as fun a way as they intended, but again, it got better after he and Robin Hood got out.

I really enjoyed the Sheriff as Count Rugen crossed with the Master crossed with Carlton Lassiter and Clara was good, although she felt a bit Rose during portions.

I guess the Doctor's arc this season is that, rather than giving up on other people or on the beauty of the Universe or on the Time Lords, he's given up on himself, which was nicely mirrored with him blustering at how wonderful he was when he secretly seems to find himself as phony as Robin Hood.

It was fun. I definitely like season 8 better than the back half of seven so far.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did Moffat ever explain why he changed the whole Sheriff being a robot thing?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Irish Joe posted:

What, you mean why that one scene got taken out? My understanding was that it was current events caused them to take it out in the spirit of good taste.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

Irish Joe posted:

ISIS

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Irish Joe posted:

I'm guessing because he figured it's more fun if we can't dismiss the sheriff as a robot when he's a human 'boooo hisss' pantomime villain.

Ah, strange. I totally missed that and thought he was human.
vvvvv

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

He was still half android, but the scene that was cut (for being vaguely similar to the real life beheading) removed the explicit reveal. The reveal was still in the episode, but only in a line of dialogue during the climactic duel that would have been very easy to miss.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mo0 posted:

What, you mean why that one scene got taken out? My understanding was that it was current events caused them to take it out in the spirit of good taste.

Ooooooh, yeah, I forgot the ISIS thing is apparently a big deal right now. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Missy metaplot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

He was still half android, but the scene that was cut (for being vaguely similar to the real life beheading) removed the explicit reveal. The reveal was still in the episode, but only in a line of dialogue during the climactic duel that would have been very easy to miss.

Wasn't there also a moment just after he fell where you saw a robotic hand clinging to the edge of the firepit, or did I just imagine that?

Irish Joe posted:

Ooooooh, yeah, I forgot the ISIS thing is apparently a big deal right now. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Missy metaplot.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him turn up along with the others whenever the "Missy is resurrecting people in the Promised TARDIS" thing pays off, even though there wasn't an explicit Missy scene this week.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 9, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Season 9 metaplot: Quote becomes edit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

Wasn't there also a moment just after he fell where you saw a robotic hand clinging to the edge of the firepit, or did I just imagine that?

After the fall, there's a shot of the hands of the Sheriff coated in gold from where he tried to climb out before it finally killed him. Obviously a human would have just died instantly but he managed at least an attempt to pull clear. The hands weren't robotic though, they were just gold-coated human hands.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, when he called himself "half man, half engine" in the episode as aired, it came completely out of left field. If the video's still floating around online you can see that that line works way better coming *after* the intended reveal. As it stands it was just confusing.

All that having been said, I can understand why it got pruned.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Your Personal Muse posted:

Hi, I was rewatching the Children of Earth yesterday and that was pretty great. Bye.

is anything else in Torchwood good or just that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rita Repulsa posted:

Some of it is 'good', mostly in the later seasons, but it's mostly bad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rita Repulsa posted:

There is a giant vagina underground that makes you immortal.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011
duplicate, I forgot I posted this bit already. flagging for deletion.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 9, 2014

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, when he called himself "half man, half engine" in the episode as aired, it came completely out of left field. If the video's still floating around online you can see that that line works way better coming *after* the intended reveal. As it stands it was just confusing.

All that having been said, I can understand why it got pruned.

But they still had a knight getting decapitated in the episode - makes no sense. Oh no, some guy got killed by some arseholes the other week, lets cut it. Why didn't they cut the guy getting stabbed at the start, there was someone stabbed to death this week too. Will they put the cut bit back in for DVD or re runs?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

While I agree with this only because I think it worked a lot better when left up to the imagination... what would actually be worse to the Doctor than his TARDIS blowing up and destroying all of spacetime?

Jurgan posted:

The War Doctor. The entire arc of series 7 was about him running from his past, so what could be scarier than coming face to face with it?

Specifically...

Related to that I finally picked up the War Doctor novel today. So far it's pretty good. I especially like the "Skaro Degradations" which it turns out are weirdly mutated Kaleds from alternate time lines where the Time Lords tried to stop the Daleks from being created. Since I'm a sucker for that sort of thing, I was pretty excited.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

For all the Capaldi "good doctor/bad doctor" talk, reemeber that he has been quoted in interviews after they had filmed this whole season, that he is still working out how to play the Doctor, and I'm sure the writers are also getting into a groove. Next season you'll be bale to make a better call as things will be more consistent.

Agreed. We need more data/episodes to work with. On the other hand, this could be the longest post-regeneration syndrome, ever.

DoctorWhat posted:

Which reminds me:

TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD: MY MOM LISTENS TO BIG FINISH, WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE!?

DETERMINED to have your own catch phrase, eh?

Tarquinn posted:

Well, this episode was the most fun I had with Doctor Who in I don't know how long. :toot:

Well, if you thought this was the highlight of the season you'll probably be in for a treat for the rest of the season. (No, I'm

not dumping on the episode as a whole, it was OK as a whole (erm, gold arrow fuels a spaceship by sticking to the outside...?), but

I personally think it was the low point of the season.

Austen Tassletine posted:

Was the Sheriff's death fall a reference to Alan Rickman in Die Hard via Prince of Thieves, or is that a bit of a stretch?

He's not dead. He's going to be an anti-Cyberman. You just wait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerv posted:

because of this week's episode i decided on a whim to rewatch Prince of Thieves for the first time in 20ish years. the extended cut too.

Moffat's greatest crime.

That whole movie is worth it for watching Alan Rickman ham it up (apparently Kevin Costner got pissed that he was stealing the film and cut a bunch of his scenes and added in more for Robin :mad:).

The only crime here is that Rickman still hasn't accepted his fate to play the Master.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mo0 posted:

I choose to believe that he asked the robots to make him an android, but they didn't know how so they just knocked him out and lied to him afterwards

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rita Repulsa posted:

I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I can see why a lot of people don't. Give it a try, I say. One thing I do like is they sort of follow-up "The Satan Pit." DW introducing literal Satan and not following up on it was kind of jarring.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

DoctorWhat posted:

Which reminds me:

TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD: MY MOM LISTENS TO BIG FINISH, WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE!?

Your mom is a classy lady. Also probably closer to our age than you.

What audio would you recommend to a person who really doesn't like old Who, but loves new Who?

I've randomly tried three old serials and (Twin Dilemma, Two Doctors & The Mindrobber) couldn't finish their first episodes. the 8th Doctor movie was ok.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

adhuin posted:

(Twin Dilemma, Two Doctors & The Mindrobber)

I think I found your problem.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

adhuin posted:

What audio would you recommend to a person who really doesn't like old Who, but loves new Who?

I've randomly tried three old serials and (Twin Dilemma, Two Doctors & The Mindrobber) couldn't finish their first episodes. the 8th Doctor movie was ok.

Well, if you like New Who's pacing and formatting and liked the TV movie okay, you could start with the first season of EDA audios, beginning with "Blood of the Daleks". New Series-style 1-hour-ish stories with the Eighth Doctor.

If you're willing to try out different pacing formats that are closer to the classic series, you can't go wrong with The Marian Conspiracy, followed by, say, Jubilee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

adhuin posted:

Go with the 8th Doctor Adventures, they're designed to be similar in format to the television series and a nice way to transition to the audio format.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Goddamn! I was expecting so-and-so whovian entertainment, but Blood of the Daleks is actually great! (so far 30 minutes in)
Thank for the Recommendations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

That whole movie is worth it for watching Alan Rickman ham it up (apparently Kevin Costner got pissed that he was stealing the film and cut a bunch of his scenes and added in more for Robin :mad:).

The only crime here is that Rickman still hasn't accepted his fate to play the Master.

"But why does he have a spoon, Master? Why not a knife, or a sword, or—"

"BECAUSE IT'S DULL, YOU TWIT, IT'LL HURT MORE"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

WHat's the name of that little girl who does the Doctor Who reviews that everyone loves? I want to try watching those.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

WHat's the name of that little girl who does the Doctor Who reviews that everyone loves? I want to try watching those.

Lindalee :3:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There was also the octogenerian widow who was apparently decapitated by an attacker in London last week. Unless different facts about that nastiness have become clear, that is. That was the headline on the BBC for a while.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
I'd thought that was the reason for the cut, and was surprised when they said ISIS. Nothing stopping it from being both, of course, and using ISIS as a blanket explanation for the international audience.

Mr Beens posted:

But they still had a knight getting decapitated in the episode - makes no sense. (...) Will they put the cut bit back in for DVD or re runs?
The knight may not have counted because he was a robot- ratings board decisions are all about splitting hairs. Think about how many people die on the show, yet don't bleed.

I don't think anyone can answer the cut restoration question for sure without a BBC statement. Based on content cuts I know of in other shows, it should be restored on the DVD, but won't show up in repeats until a month or two has passed.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Re: the DW Wiki being a bit weird and dumb, which it undoubtedly is, but I kind of like the confusing and counter-intuitive way it dumps the TV shows, books, audios, comics, etc. together. It's pretty terrible for wiki purposes, but I guess I'm just a sucker for things like the (sadly kind of outdated) Doctor Who Reference Guide and other foolhardy attempts to put everything in order and in the same continuity. There is no Doctor Who canon, but sometimes it's fun to pretend.

(Robot of Sherwood was fun, by the way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

What about Fear Her

• Locked thread