Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

cat doter posted:

I'd say REmake is pretty squarely in horror rear end horror territory, it still manages to be cheesy in places but atmospherically and gameplay wise, it's a big, BIG step up from the original. The outdoor areas and the cabin in particular are just creepy as all poo poo.

Seriously I'm SO GAY for REmake, it's so loving good.

Yeah I was blown away by how tense and creepy the REmake was. I loved the original three to death as action-y games with horror in them, but then REmake goes and adds so much great poo poo that I wish the original had. Anybody who doesn't admit that they dread encounters with Crimson Heads is lying. I don't care how "easy" they are to kill with the right weapons, they're still scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lisa Trevor is also pretty cool.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Accordion Man posted:

To be be honest while RE4 is more actiony I still thought it was tense and scary at times, i.e. I always dreaded the chainsaw enemies and the blind claw dudes. Not to mention the Regnerators. It just usually wasn't a lingering horror.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I guess you could really just say there's different kinds of horror. For RE, it's more the horror of some enemies being ridiculously hard to take down.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I was blown away by how tense and creepy the REmake was. I loved the original three to death as action-y games with horror in them, but then REmake goes and adds so much great poo poo that I wish the original had. Anybody who doesn't admit that they dread encounters with Crimson Heads is lying. I don't care how "easy" they are to kill with the right weapons, they're still scary.

Yeah, on a horror game design level they're a stroke of legit genius. Think about it, the purpose of zombies from a design perspective in a survival horror game is in not knowing if the enemy is truly dead. Zombies that are still alive is a cool trick at first, but after the first time it happens, you can test for it, and it becomes a non-issue. Whereas with the crimson heads, testing to see if it's still alive is no longer a viable tactic and the only way to ensure they don't come back is to use a limited resource. Every time you walk into a room with a zombie you've already killed, you're wondering if THIS is the time it'll get up and come at you so fast you barely have time to think.

Also, when it comes to the limited resource stuff, I think it's an oversimplification to imply it's not an intrinsic part to survival horror. You can use it to instill a sense of mortality into the player, and early Resident Evil amplifies this further by making save points infrequent and resource limited themselves, so dying not only has a significant impact, preventing yourself from dying by using limited resources also has a large impact on not only your playstyle but the psychological state of the player.

I've been thinking about surival horror a lot lately because I'm seriously considering making one, probably in unity and based off one of the early RE4 concepts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cat doter posted:

I'd say REmake is pretty squarely in horror rear end horror territory, it still manages to be cheesy in places but atmospherically and gameplay wise, it's a big, BIG step up from the original. The outdoor areas and the cabin in particular are just creepy as all poo poo.

Seriously I'm SO GAY for REmake, it's so loving good.

Yeah, while the series has plenty of jump scares, the REmake is the only one that actively tries to put on a genuinely creepy atmosphere and it's loving good. In fact I'd say that it's one of the best horror games ever in terms of art design and sheer graphical fidelity - it's a game from 200-loving-2 and it still looks absolutely incredible. It's one of those few games, of any genre, that just gets everything right.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, while the series has plenty of jump scares, the REmake is the only one that actively tries to put on a genuinely creepy atmosphere and it's loving good. In fact I'd say that it's one of the best horror games ever in terms of art design and sheer graphical fidelity - it's a game from 200-loving-2 and it still looks absolutely incredible. It's one of those few games, of any genre, that just gets everything right.

Yeah I'm incredibly psyched for the updated version, the fidelity of the footage we've seen so far is amazing. It's one of those games that was just begging for an HD update.

The only part I'm bummed about is that they couldn't expand the backgrounds to 16:9 so the 16:9 mode is this crappy zoomed in thing.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yardbomb posted:

To be honest Amnesia just didn't do it for me at all. I loved the Penumbra games so when I saw those dudes were making Amnesia, I was pretty hyped for it. I don't regret giving them my money and all cause hey, I like their games and now their new one looks really good, but something about Ye Olde Spooky Castle™ just didn't work for me and I'm always a little disappointed that their game I liked the least blew up harder then the others.
I played the Penumbra games but they had a lot of issues, I always thought of Amnesia as the result of them learning from those games and refining their development process. They streamlined and got rid of things that didn't work, like the combat and clunkier puzzles, and really built up the horror aspects.

Hakkesshu posted:

That's weird, because I never even knew there was a sanity "meter" and an accompanying fail state in Amnesia until I read about it on the internet long afterwards. It seemed entirely organic to me, and I never worried about maintaining it at all.
Yeah, they do a good job of making you think something bad will happen if you completely lose it, but the worst that can happen is you start hyperventilating and sink to the floor, and you can just get up and move around again after a few seconds.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In hindsight I think I was fooled by the similar mechanic in Dark Corners of the Earth, where losing too much sanity would outright kill you.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I really need to play the REmake at some point. I've only played the PSX version.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You might as well wait for the HD Remaster at this point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DeathChicken posted:

In hindsight I think I was fooled by the similar mechanic in Dark Corners of the Earth, where losing too much sanity would outright kill you.

Now there's a game I'm hella sad they didn't get to make a sequel for.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

cat doter posted:

Also, when it comes to the limited resource stuff, I think it's an oversimplification to imply it's not an intrinsic part to survival horror. You can use it to instill a sense of mortality into the player, and early Resident Evil amplifies this further by making save points infrequent and resource limited themselves, so dying not only has a significant impact, preventing yourself from dying by using limited resources also has a large impact on not only your playstyle but the psychological state of the player.

I've been thinking about surival horror a lot lately because I'm seriously considering making one, probably in unity and based off one of the early RE4 concepts.

Instead of actually having limited resources though what Resident Evil does is trick the player into thinking it does. There's more than enough ammo to kill every single creature in the game and more ink ribbons than any reasonable person will ever use. In the first 1/3 of the game though, up until you reach the guardhouse you're not going to be carrying a lot of ammo at once. Very early at the start of the game there's a rare chance you might completely run out of ammo if you go the 'wrong way' but once you get over that hump about 20 minutes in you can shoot every zombie you come across and never run out. You might think if you're always in a state of low ammo then resources are actually scarce, but the thing about Resident Evil is you can't really waste ammo by accident unless you're seriously incompetent. You autoaim when you draw a weapon so you can't really miss, to waste ammo you'd have to choose to point your gun at a wall and plink away.

When I play it, as soon as I have all the crests and leave for the guardhouse I switch to the shotgun. I don't have to as the only enemies you'll face in the guardhouse are zombies, dogs and 2 spiders. Nothing you've not dispatched easily with the handgun previously except the 2 spiders which are the least threatening enemy in the game. One box of shotgun shells holds 7, I don't even think there are 7 zombies in total in the guardhouse and it takes one upward shot to kill them. If you're playing as Jill you'd be leaving the mansion with 12 acid round and 12 explosive rounds and you're not going to have used all of them on the snake boss you don't even have to kill. With what you pick up in the guardhouse and grabbing the magnum on the way back to the mansion you're swimming in ammo and set for the rest of the game.

All of the resident evil games up until 4 are pretty much the same. It's a combination of having a low ammo count, not knowing where the ammo is and not knowing what you're going to face in future that adds the tension but it falls apart on repeated playthroughs. Even REmake is the same in that regard with its body burning mechanic. When I play through it I only ever seen one or two crimson heads (discounting the one in the coffin) and its the one thats already dead in the hallway you go through to get the arrow key for the graveyard and the one I kill outside of the snake attic. Those two are only the product of laziness too. Also the amount of green herbs in REMake is beyond ridiculous especially if you don't weedkiller the ones near the plant.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

It's an interesting design aspect of REmake but I don't think it invalidates the approach. It may make playing it for the fourth time not exactly frightening since you know where the resources are and you know there's a kind of false scarcity, but having the ammo dispersed over a wide area makes the player feel like it's scarce, and that's enough. All games have a moment where if you play them enough the veil of smoke and mirrors dissipates, which is hardly surprising since that's kind of what games are.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

cat doter posted:

It's an interesting design aspect of REmake but I don't think it invalidates the approach. It may make playing it for the fourth time not exactly frightening since you know where the resources are and you know there's a kind of false scarcity, but having the ammo dispersed over a wide area makes the player feel like it's scarce, and that's enough. All games have a moment where if you play them enough the veil of smoke and mirrors dissipates, which is hardly surprising since that's kind of what games are.

Yeah, I wasn't saying it was a bad thing more that they put a lot of effort in ammo amounts and enemy placement to make it just as effective tensionwise as actually having limited resources without the frustration of getting halfway through the game and having to restart because you can't kill a boss with just a knife. Code Veronica where if you don't have enough ammo it's pretty much impossible to beat the tyrant on the cargo plane and you're forced to start the entire game again.

If we take Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame as the archetypal survival horror games, what most people assume about what makes a survival horror game isn't really reflected in any of them. The idea that they de-emphasize combat and you're supposed to avoid it and run away is rubbish. The core gameplay in all of these games is combat and thats what you're going to be doing for 90% of the game. Fatal Frame even gives you experience points when you 'kill' a ghost and all those games throw bosses at you that if you've not gotten used to the combat are going to be a roadblock. Silent Hill has about 10 different weapons in it and five boss fights. Infact in resident evil its far easier to kill Hunters than run away from them. Resident Evil is the only one with a limited inventory too.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Are there any remotely decent horror games for iOS? I feel like 'good' is too much to hope for, but I'd settle for spooky and atmospheric.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rangpur posted:

Are there any remotely decent horror games for iOS? I feel like 'good' is too much to hope for, but I'd settle for spooky and atmospheric.
Year Walk.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also both The Room games. They're mostly just about solving puzzle boxes, but have amazing atmosphere and there are a few good, super creepy "oh poo poo" moments.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah Year Walk and The Room are both great.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Rangpur posted:

Dead Space Mobile is a disappointing Dead Space but has some creepy moments.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Resident Evil Degeneration is actually good on iOS. But this is better: http://www.thedarkmeadowgame.com

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like the mobile Dead Space game just because you play as the one Unitologist in the universe that actually realizes that their religion turns people into murderous monster machines.

iOS Degeneration actually is pretty fun because it's basically a simpler RE4. There's an iOS port of "RE4" but it's a horrible horrible iteration of the game's content because it was originally made for much weaker phones not long after RE4 itself was originally released. There's an iOS "Silent Hill" but it's a godawful waste of time that I can't even believe was released.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

There's an iOS "Silent Hill" but it's a godawful waste of time that I can't even believe was released.
Literally just a horrible maze with about 3 different textures and full of nurses, over and over.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Resident Evil Degeneration is actually good on iOS. But this is better: http://www.thedarkmeadowgame.com

Are there any good horror games for iOS? (I know there are 100 slender games and :gasp: Corpse Party is now out for it)
edit: I am dumb and can't read a few posts up. Also, Corpse Party.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 8, 2014

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Are there any good horror games for iOS? (I know there are 100 slender games and :gasp: Corpse Party is now out for it)

I think you missed some posts:

Hakkesshu posted:

Also both The Room games. They're mostly just about solving puzzle boxes, but have amazing atmosphere and there are a few good, super creepy "oh poo poo" moments.

cat doter posted:

Yeah Year Walk and The Room are both great.

Neo Rasa posted:

I like the mobile Dead Space game just because you play as the one Unitologist in the universe that actually realizes that their religion turns people into murderous monster machines.

iOS Degeneration actually is pretty fun because it's basically a simpler RE4. There's an iOS port of "RE4" but it's a horrible horrible iteration of the game's content because it was originally made for much weaker phones not long after RE4 itself was originally released. There's an iOS "Silent Hill" but it's a godawful waste of time that I can't even believe was released.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No it doesn't. It's Max Payne with monsters.

I'd argue that there's a lot more Half-Life influence in The Suffering if only because of how its story's told: silent protagonist, you never leave his perspective, there are no cutscenes after the introduction, and the whole game is about thoroughly exploring the island and every single building and environment on it in a similar way to how Gordon travels through Black Mesa.

I'm talking more about narrative design than gameplay, really. I'm not sure I'd draw a straight line between Suffering and Max Payne except that both are third-person shooters from roughly the same time period, so there'd be some overlap aside from how both use painkillers as health pickups.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One thing I liked about Suffering was how subtle it ended up being in some ways like the fact that Torque was never actually turning into a monster, he's just hulking out on adrenaline. The main game never hits you in the face with it, which is a nice surprise in a shooter game. The original scrapped opening totally did though and I'm glad they cut that out and made it a post-game bonus.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 8, 2014

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I liked that the one enemy in The Suffering would taunt you by dragging his bladed arms along the walls as he approached you, and that each enemy was based off of some lore from the island. It also had some neat little scares, outside of the loving random flash game pop scares that seemed to occur every few minutes in certain areas.

It was far from perfect but The Suffering was a pretty cool game IMO.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I'd argue that there's a lot more Half-Life influence in The Suffering if only because of how its story's told: silent protagonist, you never leave his perspective, there are no cutscenes after the introduction, and the whole game is about thoroughly exploring the island and every single building and environment on it in a similar way to how Gordon travels through Black Mesa.

I'm talking more about narrative design than gameplay, really. I'm not sure I'd draw a straight line between Suffering and Max Payne except that both are third-person shooters from roughly the same time period, so there'd be some overlap aside from how both use painkillers as health pickups.

There are cutscenes though? You definitely leave Torque's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMTkmzzm1o

There's more than that one in the game too. It's like Max Payne because it controls like Max Payne, it's the same sort of 3rd person shooter as Max Payne, you play a guy whos wife and kids are dead like Max Payne, you have flashbacks to their death like Max Payne, you're the victim of a criminal conspiracy like Max Payne, you duel wield pistols and pop painkillers like Max Payne and you've got a seemingly supernatural power that charges up like Max Payne.

Pretty much any game is about throughly exploring the environment to some degree to say its like Half Life in any way other than having a silent protagonist is really reaching. Nevermind a large part of The Suffering's backstory is told through narrated journal pages.

Jimbo Jaggins fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 8, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Neverending Nightmares hits on the 26th of September. I'm debating having a Kickstarter horror month, with that, then replaying Knock Knock and Pathologic.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Reposting from the video games deals thread:

Not_Log posted:

Kiss My Bundles Horror

Soulbringer (PC: Steam)
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi (PC: Steam)
Grimind (PC: Steam)
Lucious (PC: Steam)
Litil Divil (PC, Mac: Steam)
Age of Fear: The Undead King (PC, Mac: Desura)
Age of Fear 2 (PC, Mac: Desura)
Realms of the Haunting (PC: Steam)

I don't know any of those games :shrug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've heard of litil devil and realms of the haunting, they're old old OLD games

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Most of those bundle games look very not good, but I'm considering getting it for Lucius and giving the other keys away or something. Lucius hasn't been on sale yet for $5 that I've seen. I've heard it's a mediocre game, but hey, it's a fairly recent horror. The premise is kinda neat, you basically play Damien.

CottonWolf posted:

Neverending Nightmares hits on the 26th of September. I'm debating having a Kickstarter horror month, with that, then replaying Knock Knock and Pathologic.
Oh nice trailer, I hadn't seen that one.

This game is going to be awesome. I backed it and I've been playing the builds as they come out, it's currently in beta with a full playthrough and looking fantastic. I'm probably going to start a separate thread for it soon, it's that good. I have a feeling it's going to get dinged in reviews due to the length (about 1-1/2 hours) and lack of traditional gameplay, but it's a tightly focused and incredibly unique experience with a lot of attention to detail. I really haven't seen anything like it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also you can probably get Realms of the Haunting for a little bit cheaper in this bundle: https://groupees.com/tuesday6

It's an alright, if fairly out dated game that mixes FPS and adventure game mechanics with alright FMV's.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

That is some extraordinarily bad voice acting, good Lord.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Little Divil isn't what you'd call a horror game. You play a wimpy demon who's trying to find a magic pizza so that the other bigger meaner demons don't beat him up.

It's sort of like The Haunting on the Genesis, where it has a bunch of the trappings of a horror game in terms of soundtrack, etc., but goes for the cartoony approach instead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nosferatu is pretty good. You and your family have come to Count some and such's castle for a wedding I think it was, Count Notavampire is actually a vampire, go through his castle and save your family.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Realms of the Haunting is worth playing if you like dated games. The story get progressively weirder as the game goes on, and it likes to alternate between weird fantasy and weird horror. It's not scary at all, but the atmosphere's pretty good in parts. It's just kind of silly and old with its FMV cutscenes and weird control scheme.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yardbomb posted:

Nosferatu is pretty good. You and your family have come to Count some and such's castle for a wedding I think it was, Count Notavampire is actually a vampire, go through his castle and save your family.

It's got randomised levels as well. It looks kinda bad, even for coming out in 2003, and combat can be a little clunky, but it is quite fun when you get into it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't think I ever heard anyone in this thread talk about Lucius. Anyone comment on it? I mean, it can't be worse than Scratches can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't think I ever heard anyone in this thread talk about Lucius. Anyone comment on it? I mean, it can't be worse than Scratches can it?
It's a pretty linear and lackluster game where you find ways to kill people while you play the anti-christ.