Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Are the SEED Destiny MGs okay to just build out of box? I want a Gunner Zaku Warrior since I play that unit so much in EXVS but I don't think there's a newer version than '07?

From the five or so I built, they range between pretty solid and amazing. The Strike Noir is one of my favorite kits, and that was one of my earlier MGs before I knew anything about detailing. They're solid, and worth a look. That being said, I dunno much about the grunt units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pigments and binders are always going to be obstacles to getting paint to lay down perfectly smooth with a brush. Some are better than others, and technique matters, but for gloss finishes it's generally a no-go.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's a shame, that is

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Are the SEED Destiny MGs okay to just build out of box? I want a Gunner Zaku Warrior since I play that unit so much in EXVS but I don't think there's a newer version than '07?

Fair warning, the 1/100 ZAKU Warriors aren't MGs, they're basically HGs in MG size. Bandai didn't do any MG grunt suits for SEED and Destiny.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I was planning on using matte enamel paints and then going over with future->acrylic wash->future x2 for the glossy look, would that work ok? I guess I could just do it all matte but it seems like a MS that would look good in gloss.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of Us. One of Us! ONE OF US!

On a side note: I'm looking at 18 runners of MG Qubeley, it's looking like a pretty fun kit and I've always liked the unorthodox design of it but I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to get a nice gloss coat on it via brushes. It seems to scream for gloss or at least semi-gloss with all the large curved surfaces.

I did a Quebeley a few months back, followed by a G Gundam and a Master Gundam. Sometimes I enjoy doing older MGs like that to take a break from the complexity of modern ones. Sure, they often don't pose very well (the G Gundam kits excluded, they're great) but once I'm done I'll generally put a kit on the shelf and not mess with it much after that.

Also, I have my Turn X all put together, just gotta panel line this sucker. And topcoat him. I have like 4 kits I need to topcoat but haven't since it's the summer and it's still humid as hell.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone have some good suggestions for a Zeta Plus colorscheme? I could do the normal primer gray + blue look for it, but the inevitable C1 would work great in that colorscheme too.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

Anyone have some good suggestions for a Zeta Plus colorscheme? I could do the normal primer gray + blue look for it, but the inevitable C1 would work great in that colorscheme too.

How about the original "Amuro Ray" demonstration colors of red and white. Or actual Amuro Ray colors of blue/purple and white?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

Anyone have some good suggestions for a Zeta Plus colorscheme?

Mazinger Z+ comes to mind. :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

TARDISman posted:

Fair warning, the 1/100 ZAKU Warriors aren't MGs, they're basically HGs in MG size. Bandai didn't do any MG grunt suits for SEED and Destiny.

poo poo. Figures the SEED unit I like most (other than Strike w/Armor Schneiders and the Strike Noir) got poo poo on. Would have been nice if they at least got some attention with the HD remaster, maybe converting from the more recent Zakus or something. Oh well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TaurusOxford posted:

Mazinger Z+ comes to mind. :v:
m8...

Mecha Gojira posted:

How about the original "Amuro Ray" demonstration colors of red and white. Or actual Amuro Ray colors of blue/purple and white?

I actually have the metal composite version of the Zeta Plus, but in blue. I guess I could go with something like that, as it would help cover up the heinous seam line on the lower legs.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here is a review of those 1/100 Zaku Warriors, looks pretty solid really. Only slightly off proportion wise but I'd pick one up if you like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4JfhHxtq98

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was planning on using matte enamel paints and then going over with future->acrylic wash->future x2 for the glossy look, would that work ok?

There's a chance it might, but you'd be seriously better off using rattlecans unless that's not an option for you.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

m8...

I actually have the metal composite version of the Zeta Plus, but in blue. I guess I could go with something like that, as it would help cover up the heinous seam line on the lower legs.

How do you like the Metal Composite Zeta Plus, by the way? I've been thinking about tracking one down for a while now. The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, but wouldn't mind getting a second opinion from a goon.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dude I'll be honest I got it like 4 years ago and haven't taken it out of the box yet because I have absolutely nowhere to put it once it's out. I'm just paranoid of it falling off something, moreso than any model kit I have.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Izubuchi designed the original Hi-Nu in 1988 or so. By 2007, he'd worked on various other mecha shows (Escaflowne, RahXephon, E7, etc), so no duh his style changed.

Also I actually think the 2007 MG design looks better, so you know, opinions!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

muike posted:

Paint it up to look like the VF-1S from Macross.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It is actually kind of convenient having a fully assembled version of the model to look at when you're planning a build. Starting to understand why one of my friends buys two of every kit.

Though lord knows I'm never doing that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BlitzBlast posted:

You keep telling yourself that. :laugh:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

It is actually kind of convenient having a fully assembled version of the model to look at when you're planning a build. Starting to understand why one of my friends buys two of every kit.

Most of you guys have a ridiculous backlog of kits anyway - might as well go double or nothing. :v:

Oh yeah, that third party ZZ Gundam that I posted about got some new info posted about it. It is in fact a full kit and not just conversion parts(thank God), and it has a release window sometime in November for about 50 dollars.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

I guarantee i will gently caress up this zeta so bad i will end up buying another before I finish it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't find gundam kits all that complicated so I don't see why people would need two of them for simply planning a build.

Maybe if you were planning major modifications to it, I guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've been sorely tempted to buy both a HGUC Qubeley and a HGBF Qubeley Papillion and building them just so I can use them as a reference for converting that MG Qubeley I've got into a Qubeley Papillion. :shepspends:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Guys I've got a half-built 1/60 zeta gundam in my basement that I started about 20 years ago. It may or may not be slathered with testors enamel.

At what point do I need to brick off the room containing the kit so that at night I can't hear the low dull lub-dub sound it emits?

Alternatively, is there a back issue of hobby-japan that covers the proper method of minimizing the shame of failure?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The proper method is to either dump it in mineral spirits and pray the enamels come off, or to just dump the whole thing because the only 1/60 Zeta models out look bad anyways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I spent no poo poo two hours taking the torso on the Build Strike apart and putting it back together again because I can't get the chest piece and the part that goes on the back of the shoulders to come together perfectly flush, or even close to it. I finally gave up because I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I take it apart one more time. I figure I'll pose it with the backpacks guns up and that'll help distract from it. Not like anyone but me will see it who knows anything about these kits

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The really great thing about running a gunpla club is that when I make a stupid purchase, I can just tell myself "I'll use it for the club" and not feel bad about spending so much cash.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally The Worst posted:

I spent no poo poo two hours taking the torso on the Build Strike apart and putting it back together again because I can't get the chest piece and the part that goes on the back of the shoulders to come together perfectly flush, or even close to it.

This is totally a shot in the dark, but double-check the shoulder joint assemblies to make sure they're orientated properly and not installed on the wrong sides.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

This is totally a shot in the dark, but double-check the shoulder joint assemblies to make sure they're orientated properly and not installed on the wrong sides.

Turns out part of the shoulder wasn't pushed together all the way because it's a tight rear end fit and the pictures are bad at showing where to stop. I give up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Turns out part of the shoulder wasn't pushed together all the way because it's a tight rear end fit and the pictures are bad at showing where to stop. I give up.

Christ dude, don't give up that easy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ dude, don't give up that easy.

I'm not actually giving up. I'm sitting in front of the tv watching Parks and Rec and working on my gundam. I'm just irritates by how loving long I messes with that chest assembly for no reason.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, is there seriously a group doing a 1/100 Xi? Goddammit, my wallet can't take this. And I can't seem to find an english site that's doing preorders either. :smith:

Wait, nevermind, found it. And it's all sold out. :smithicide:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 9, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm not actually giving up. I'm sitting in front of the tv watching Parks and Rec and working on my gundam. I'm just irritates by how loving long I messes with that chest assembly for no reason.
You have literally the best taste.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Took me like 4 hours to make 80% of the 0 Raiser HG last night, I don't know how people can build whole HGs in 4 hours.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I forget who came up with the idea for a gunpla club, but I totally stole it. My roommate also occasionally builds Gundams and there are a couple geek-related stores that sell them. I made a facebook group, posted it around in similar groups and we'll see how it goes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I finished the build strike, but there's a few parts left over, and I cna't tell if it's because there's mass-produced runners where not every part is used (some of them are borderline identical to parts I did use) or what. I've gone through the manual four or five times and I can't find them.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I finished the build strike, but there's a few parts left over, and I cna't tell if it's because there's mass-produced runners where not every part is used (some of them are borderline identical to parts I did use) or what. I've gone through the manual four or five times and I can't find them.

They're from the regular Strike MG ver RM, don't worry about it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Check the front pages of the manual, where it shows all the runners the kit contains. Stuff will be crossed out if it isn't used in the specific kit you're building.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also my fingers are really goddamn sore from pushing robots together and I just got the slip saying my HGUC Zaku and Z'gok are at the main office waiting for me and I'm trying really hard not to order the Unicorn Full Armor MG right now.

Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Also my fingers are really goddamn sore from pushing robots together and I just got the slip saying my HGUC Zaku and Z'gok are at the main office waiting for me and I'm trying really hard not to order the Unicorn Full Armor MG right now.

Kill me.

Welcome to Gunpla. :laugh:

• Locked thread