Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Dexo posted:

To be fair gently caress Guy Gardner.

At the same time if Guy Gardner is telling you something is an abysmal idea and not being a smug prick about it, you're probably making the worst possible decision you could possibly make in and out of all time and space, from Earth 0 to Earth 51, and everywhere in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The thing I hate about injustice is Manchester Black already tried breaking Superman by making him think he had murdered Lois Lane. Superman didn't break, he forgave him. Killing Superman's friends doesn't turn him into an authoritarian.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mm, different interpretations, different situations, etc etc. I can easily envision certain contexts where certain versions of Superman would definitely break. Honestly, the idea that he'd still hang on to goodness after what Black made him believe was a little too optimistic even for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the whole point of multiple realities is that there's at least one where killing Lois *will* break him. If I recall, Injustice Lois was also pregnant, but I've never actually read it, so I may be misremembering the pages posted here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus Manchester made him think he killed Lois.

Superman killed Lois himself in Injustice. And she was pregnant.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Aphrodite posted:

Plus Manchester made him think he killed Lois.

Superman killed Lois himself in Injustice. And she was pregnant.

This is a pretty big difference. At the end of the day, Superman could probably deal with even his closest loved ones being killed by someone else. But killing them himself, for whatever reason? That's going to change him.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey man, supposedly Bruce was young once upon a time, and young rich people tend to go to the kind of high school where high school comedies or shows take place.

This post made me think about the title: "The Fresh Prince of Gotham."

That would be something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

The entire second phase of movies are better than the first set except Iron Man 1. Captain America is the best of the bunch then Guardians and Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. RANKINGS OF PERSONAL FAVORITES AS TRUTH!

Guardians is set to beat Iron Man 1 for highest grossing MCU non-sequel in a few days time. (Not that box office returns are an accurate measure of quality or anything, it's just an interesting bit of trivia.)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Presumably, in this case Bruce is more like he is in The Batman, ie not a totally broken individual only ever putting on a facade when not in Batman mode.

I liked that characterization of him. I don't like Batman as a character because he's such a fuckin' whiner all the time. Lots of people have dead parents and they cope. Batman is such a little bitch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Injustice he didn't just kill Lois Lane. He killed Lois Lane, his unborn child and the entire city of Metropolis. The last tends to get overlooked but it was every single person Superman knew who wasn't a superhero or his parents.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gatts posted:

The entire second phase of movies are better than the first set except Iron Man 1. Captain America is the best of the bunch then Guardians and Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. RANKINGS OF PERSONAL FAVORITES AS TRUTH!
With the exception of Guardians, Cap 1 is my favorite. I love the hokey-ness unironically.

Wait, are my two favorites the most feel goodiest? Am I depressed?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

With the exception of Guardians, Cap 1 is my favorite. I love the hokey-ness unironically.

Wait, are my two favorites the most feel goodiest? Am I depressed?

I am depressed. I'm going to watch some footballs and have some food and drink and draw and write today.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm rewatching Avengers for the millionith time, and when I first saw it, I thought that Thor super charging Iron Man was going to come back into play. Like at the end when they are fighting the big battle Thor would supercharge it again, and Tony would destroy a big chunk of the Chitauri.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

twistedmentat posted:

I'm rewatching Avengers for the millionith time, and when I first saw it, I thought that Thor super charging Iron Man was going to come back into play. Like at the end when they are fighting the big battle Thor would supercharge it again, and Tony would destroy a big chunk of the Chitauri.

But they already did a pointless-but-cool-looking move with Iron Man bouncing his repulsors off Cap's shield.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, that felt like a set up for something that never came. Bugged me when I first saw it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, that felt like a set up for something that never came. Bugged me when I first saw it.

The supercharging dealt some pretty obvious damage to the suit, and the resulting repulsor blast didn't seem that much more powerful than average (that kind of bugged me), so I would assume that Tony wouldn't want to inflict that on his newest untested suit.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I was convinced it was what was gonna restart him at the end, but got over it when the Hulk bit took its place.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The overcharging felt like a really cheap way to give Iron Man a fighting chance against Thor. Otherwise Thor would have kicked IM's rear end! [/Thor fanboy]

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Magneto Rex posted:

I was convinced it was what was gonna restart him at the end, but got over it when the Hulk bit took its place.

Yeah, me too. Like he was just lying there with no power in his Arc Reactor. I assumed they were just going to combine the normal Hollywood trope of "electricity brings dead people back to life" with an earlier established Checkov's gun and leave it at that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Magneto Rex posted:

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah, me too. Like he was just lying there with no power in his Arc Reactor. I assumed they were just going to combine the normal Hollywood trope of "electricity brings dead people back to life" with an earlier established Checkov's gun and leave it at that.

I think it actually was supposed to end that way, but they replaced it with Hulk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It does make sense that they may have wanted to avoid suggesting that Tony was semi-immortal as long as there was sufficient electricity or thunder gods around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They also set up Thor's hammer causing a giant shockwave when hitting Cap's vibranium shield and did nothing with it.

It's a fun movie with fun jokes chemistry but it really is poorly written.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

They also set up Thor's hammer causing a giant shockwave when hitting Cap's vibranium shield and did nothing with it.
That didn't really feel like a Chekov's gun to me, just like a really cool visual effect.

quote:

It's a fun movie with fun jokes chemistry but it really is poorly written.
The main problem with the Avengers is it has entirely too many characters who each need:
Who they are
Their Motivation
A narrative arc (this is where the movie doesn't do well)
Several fun jokes
To do several things that are incredibly badass

The fact that Avengers works AT ALL is storytelling miracle.

And in all seriousness, barely anything happens -

1. Loki steals the thing + action sequence
2. Most of the team is gathered
3. Loki does something in Germany, is captured
4. Thor shows up and we have a short fight thing
5. Some talking about things
6. Hawkeye and friends attack the hovercarrier, giant action sequence
7. All our characters have redemptive moments
8. Great big New York fight
9. Quick display of the fallout

There's just no time for plot when you have to introduce Nick, Loki, Hawkeye, Cap, Black Widow, Bruce Banner, Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, Thor, then have them all be shown as changed by their experiences. The only place there's time for plot is 2, 5, and 7. If they had given the film to anyone without a ton of experience with ensembles like Whedon I can't imagine it would have been anything but a disaster.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You say that nothing happens like it's a weakness, nothing happens in a ton of great movies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

You say that nothing happens like it's a weakness, nothing happens in a ton of great movies.

I'm giving the reason why "the writing isn't great" as the previous poster said. I'm pretty sure he means that it doesn't have strong narrative arcs, which it doesn't. I'm just pointing out that there's not really any way the movie COULD have had strong arcs due to time restraints. It would require a 13-episode season just to have the raw minutes you'd need.

I think the Avengers is pretty great. I wish it had strong narrative arcs, but that's me being petty about what's realistically possible - I would also like to have the ability to fly. It does what it sets out to do well, with the possible exception of Thor (I can't think of any Thor joke or moment that I particularly cared for, with the exception of being punched by the Hulk)

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I'm sorry, there appears to be some really annoying watermark of a floating red ghost man on top of this advertisement for SLIDESHOW_

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of interesting they're keeping the widow's peak hood design.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I'm getting some Man of Steel vibes of that costume.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Madkal posted:

I'm getting some Man of Steel vibes of that costume.

Um...:rimshot: I guess?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, so out of morbid curiosity, I went to see Sin City 2. Short trip report: Out of, what, 4 stories, one of them just about worked, and funnily enough it was one of the original ones Frank made up for the movie. The Lucky Johnny story just about gets away with Frank's dialogue because of JGL, Powers Boothe and Chris Lloyd. I'd happily watch a more straight noir story starring Levitt. (Yeah, yeah, Brick)

The Dwight story... Meloni, Green and Brolin tried... I think. Haysbert did a really nice job of filling Duncan's shoes and he, bizarrely, came off the most human for it. I was amused by Meloni's appearance because Stabler from SVU would fit right in in Sin City. The Marv story just came off like too much of Miller rubbing off on Rodriguez. Or maybe Robert's spent too much time away from Tarantino. Either way, the violence crossed the line from heightened to cartoonish. I say it's likely Miller's influence because it reminded me a lot of Frank Miller's The Spirit. (I'm using the full title, because it drat sure wasn't Will Eisner's). Just a weird pogo-ing from Looney Tunes to Skinemax and back.

And the Nancy story... wooo boy... Alba really did give it here all. She actually did a fairly credible job as the strung out, drunk Nancy at points, and again, Powers Boothe is enjoyably hateable and corrupt. But Mickey Rourke in the cartoon prosthetics (they weren't that heavy in the first movie, I don't think, right?) and Bruce Willis showing up and watching the clock until he can go home? Goddamn. Just painful.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Mickey Rourke in the cartoon prosthetics (they weren't that heavy in the first movie, I don't think, right?)

I think he's gotten a lot more terrible plastic surgery since the first Sin City, so reconstructing Marv's face on top of it required more scaffolding.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I know everyone wants John Stewart, but I seriously want Guy Gardner in a movie as Green Lantern because Guy is awesome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I know everyone wants John Stewart, but I seriously want Guy Gardner in a movie as Green Lantern because Guy is awesome.

I want Guy because I'd like to see more superheroes with flaws, who aren't perfectly altruistic, upstanding, and noble all the time. Iron Man came closest, but Guy would be a great contrast against DC's typically godlike JLA members because he's a huge jerk who usually does the right thing in the end, often in spite of himself.

See also (despite his radically different personality) Booster Gold.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think he's gotten a lot more terrible plastic surgery since the first Sin City, so reconstructing Marv's face on top of it required more scaffolding.

He definitely has. Saw him a few years ago at the bottle service table behind ours in Vegas and almost didn't recognize him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mickey Rourke's life has been a series of bad decisions.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm excited to see how the gently caress this is going to work in live action. He looks good tho

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I hope they make him creepy as gently caress and have the audience question why the Avengers would trust a robot made by another (murderous) robot

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
The thing that sticks out to me is that despite not being made by Pym, Vision has the red and black color scheme of what little of Ant-man's costume we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They might go for a synergy thing and drop a line about Ultron being based on Pym's work to plug the up coming movie but more likely they aren't going to bother hand waving a color scheme.

• Locked thread