Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Disclaimer: Always defer to your vet, I am not a vet, I am a crazy cat lady

I'm not sure which rx food you're using, because my cat's blockage was not from crystals. It was just a mucus plug. The rx food from royal canin the vet gave me is basically a generic cat food with a lot of salt, to make him thirsty. I did buy the food, but feeding it to him didn't feel right to me. So what we do is focus on keeping him stress-free and drinking a lot by keeping TONS of water bowls all over the house (one of which is a fountain). We have 7 bowls, of varying depths and sizes, located all over the apartment but NOT beside food bowls (which are also scattered around the apartment). He drinks lots of water now, just because it's all over the place. My vet also suggested flavoring the water with clam juice, but I haven't felt the need to since he drinks a good bit. We also started giving him wet food in addition to dry. I personally feel like this is healthier for my cat than a bunch of salty corn. :catstare:

We luckily have not had a reoccurrence, but I'm hyper vigilant about his hydration habits and stress levels now. My vet assures me that after he turns 7 he will no longer be considered at risk for another block. Yay for narrow cat urethras! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
We're out of ideas now, I turn to you PI.

Boots With The Fur ('Boots' for short) has been living with us for almost 6 months now. About a month ago we went on a weekend trip and my MIL came by twice over the weekend to tend to the cats.

Boots apparently started using a corner of our bedroom as a little box (urine and solid), we suspect because she was upset that we weren't home. The boxes were clean and she hadn't ever had a problem prior to then.

Even after cleaning the spots with Nature's Miracle repellent cleaner and shampooing the hell out of the rugs, she's pissed in the corner right in front of us twice. We even reverted to a litter that we had been using previously and uncovered the boxes in case that was putting her off. We're at a loss now.

She doesn't seem at all distressed and is eating and drinking normally from what I can tell. If we don't allow her access to the bedroom she'll use the littler boxes, though she has dropped a couple just outside the box.

Should we be concerned that she has an infection of some kind? What other steps can I take to prevent this behavior?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This might be a dumb question, but it's gnawing at me:

My friend is looking into adopting a cat.

He's extremely responsible and I'm sure he'd be a great owner, but he lives in a smallish apartment and works long hours (think 11+) during the week. I suggested he get two cats so that they keep each other company, but he wasn't too crazy on the idea.

Will a cat that is left alone that much time be happy? I know each cat is different, and adopting a shelter car is always a good thing, but I just can't shake the feeling that leaving a cat alone 12 hours every day in a tiny apartment is just cruel.

Am I just overreacting?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

He's extremely responsible and I'm sure he'd be a great owner, but he lives in a smallish apartment and works long hours (think 11+) during the week. I suggested he get two cats so that they keep each other company, but he wasn't too crazy on the idea.

Will a cat that is left alone that much time be happy? I know each cat is different, and adopting a shelter car is always a good thing, but I just can't shake the feeling that leaving a cat alone 12 hours every day in a tiny apartment is just cruel.

Am I just overreacting?

I'm betting it'll depend entirely on the cat. In my case, for all the three or so weeks I've had her (:v:) Hope just sleeps during the day anyway, whether I'm home or not. Only wakes up around 7:30, 8 PM, which is usually when I get home from work anyway, and is ready to go to sleep by the time I wake up the next morning.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Gentle Marmot posted:

So a couple weeks ago my cat had an emergency in the middle of the night and had to be taken to the emergency Vet. He had a urethral blockage caused by crystals in his urine. He is a year and a half old and they told me he would be predisposed to having urinary crystals. I have to put him on a new special diet for the rest of his life. The options were Royal Canin Urinary SO or something from Hill's. The cost is not a big deal to me, I was feeding him Wellness before. I definitely trust the vets when they tell me I will need to put him on this stuff as I was feeding him what I thought was a very good diet before and he developed this issue, mostly wellness wet food. That brings me to my problem. I thought Royal Canin and Hill's were pretty much crap food, in fact the shelter I got him from told me they fed him Hill's because they got it for free but strongly implied that I feed him something better. Now my only choices are from these companies. I am going with the Royal Canin right now, is the prescription food that much better? I looked at the ingredients and they seem ok, not great but ok. I also got him a little drinking fountain type bowl to encourage him to drink more. I understand the food itself will also help keep him better hydrated and encourage him to drink/urinate more. I am not looking for alternatives, more so just peace of mind that I am not feeding my cat a poor diet.

Also why does food even need a prescription? Is that just so people don't try and fix their animal's problems themselves and give them an improper diet? That was my main theory.

Prescription foods are specifically formulated to help alleviate the medical issue your cat is having. The ingredients list isn't the best, no, but it's made to help prevent another urinary blockage, which is the main goal here. In my opinion, it's OK if a cat isn't on the healthiest diet, as long as the food helps block crystals from forming. Peeing is a good thing.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My roommate is going on an extended trip (at least 6 months), which means what was her cat that was living in my apartment is now my cat living in my apartment. Which is fine, as Stormy's basically the perfect cat, only the roommate and Stormy were unusually close and the stress of mommy going away is causing her to scratch excessively, especially around her neck area. It's gotten to the point where there are some nasty scabs across her neck. At first I thought it was a food allergy, so I switched her food up a little bit (same brand though) and I and the other two roommates are making it a point to play with her more often so she doesn't feel neglected (playing with Stormy is the first thing I do when I wake up, the last thing I do before I leave for work and the first thing I do when I get in the door) but I am still catching her scratching occasionally. I bought a wall-mounted air freshener thing that apparently vets use to calm pets, but I'm not terribly keen on the concept of pumping the air in my house full of cat calmness pheromones, and all it really did was make her go to sleep.

Should I just stay the course and hope it gets better? Help me goons. You're my only hope.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Froghammer posted:

My roommate is going on an extended trip (at least 6 months), which means what was her cat that was living in my apartment is now my cat living in my apartment. Which is fine, as Stormy's basically the perfect cat, only the roommate and Stormy were unusually close and the stress of mommy going away is causing her to scratch excessively, especially around her neck area. It's gotten to the point where there are some nasty scabs across her neck. At first I thought it was a food allergy, so I switched her food up a little bit (same brand though) and I and the other two roommates are making it a point to play with her more often so she doesn't feel neglected (playing with Stormy is the first thing I do when I wake up, the last thing I do before I leave for work and the first thing I do when I get in the door) but I am still catching her scratching occasionally. I bought a wall-mounted air freshener thing that apparently vets use to calm pets, but I'm not terribly keen on the concept of pumping the air in my house full of cat calmness pheromones, and all it really did was make her go to sleep.

Should I just stay the course and hope it gets better? Help me goons. You're my only hope.

We had a cat that did this once and I found that a headband doubled would fit perfectly around her neck. It was like a really thick collar that she couldn't scratch through. Once the sores healed up she left them alone and was fine thereafter. See if you can find something like that that would work.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Am I just overreacting?
Getting one cat is fine; two is simply recommended. How long a cat can be left alone is kinda based on their personality, though generally, 12 hours alone really isn't a problem. I'd suggest getting an oldcat(3 years+) rather than a kitten if this is his first cat though.

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar

aghastly posted:

Prescription foods are specifically formulated to help alleviate the medical issue your cat is having. The ingredients list isn't the best, no, but it's made to help prevent another urinary blockage, which is the main goal here. In my opinion, it's OK if a cat isn't on the healthiest diet, as long as the food helps block crystals from forming. Peeing is a good thing.

Yeah maybe I am just over reacting a bit. Its not the best food but its decent enough. The vet did say not too worry about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

duckfarts posted:

Getting one cat is fine; two is simply recommended. How long a cat can be left alone is kinda based on their personality, though generally, 12 hours alone really isn't a problem. I'd suggest getting an oldcat(3 years+) rather than a kitten if this is his first cat though.

I'm in the same position (planning on getting one cat despite working some long days), and for what it's worth my plan is to visit a local animal shelter and specifically ask the staff there for an adult cat that would be better in a one-cat apartment that doesn't mind the occasional long day.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Dragyn posted:

We're out of ideas now, I turn to you PI.

Boots With The Fur ('Boots' for short) has been living with us for almost 6 months now. About a month ago we went on a weekend trip and my MIL came by twice over the weekend to tend to the cats.

Boots apparently started using a corner of our bedroom as a little box (urine and solid), we suspect because she was upset that we weren't home. The boxes were clean and she hadn't ever had a problem prior to then.

Even after cleaning the spots with Nature's Miracle repellent cleaner and shampooing the hell out of the rugs, she's pissed in the corner right in front of us twice. We even reverted to a litter that we had been using previously and uncovered the boxes in case that was putting her off. We're at a loss now.

She doesn't seem at all distressed and is eating and drinking normally from what I can tell. If we don't allow her access to the bedroom she'll use the littler boxes, though she has dropped a couple just outside the box.

Should we be concerned that she has an infection of some kind? What other steps can I take to prevent this behavior?

Have you tried putting a litter box on the spot where she goes? It's worth a shot.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Froghammer posted:

I used to use a calming collar on my cat. It would make him really sleepy when it was brand new, so maybe a day or two, and then he'd get used to it/it'd lose some effect, and it'd work pretty well for the month it lasts.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I know this has probably been discussed here already: raw food diets for cats. I was feeding mostly raw fish but I recently learned this isn't a good idea. How do I get my cats to drop the fish and start eating raw chicken and rabbit? What parts do you guys use as food? Any preparation before you feed them?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Froghammer posted:

This product I got from Amazon called SoftPaws works pretty well on my neck-gouging cat. Just add a dab of glue, and attach a plastic covering over the nails in the hind legs.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I know this has probably been discussed here already: raw food diets for cats. I was feeding mostly raw fish but I recently learned this isn't a good idea. How do I get my cats to drop the fish and start eating raw chicken and rabbit? What parts do you guys use as food? Any preparation before you feed them?

Look up recipes - a cat's not going to get everything it needs from just eating a bunch of raw chicken or rabbit - most recipes I've seen usually still involve adding supplements of one kind or another.

And, for your health, I'll pass along what a vet friend of mine told me about feeding cats raw: they aren't going to be as susceptible to the diseases in raw meat as we are - meaning a lot of the time, the harmful bacteria just pass right through them into their poo. Which comes from the rear end in a top hat they lick constantly, and goes in the litterbox they put their paws in every day. That bacteria will be spread around via the tongue to eventually cover the cat and everything the cat touches, and anyone that pets the cat, meaning you're actually putting yourself at risk for salmonella, etc. by giving your cat raw food. My friend says whenever a vet learns a pet is fed raw - everyone must put on gloves, period, because it's likely it's crawling with potential disease. I don't know how high the risk is, but that's what he told me and I believe it.

Anyway, I don't fix my cat's food myself, but there are tons of cat nutrition sites that can help you prepare balanced meals for your cat.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My cat attacks me when I'm go to bed, as soon as I turn off the last light or turn my back. Last night we had a two-minute stare down before I backed into the bathroom and flicked water at her.

I am terrible with cats I guess.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Play with him/her before bed to tire them out.

Also, random stream of thoughts from me -
I just got my first (town)house after living in an apartment for 8 years that didn't allow pets. The HOA allows 2 pets, not to exceed 70lbs combined and my friend is planning on renting the other bedroom from me and has a black lab he will be bringing. Will a cat and a dog be ok to hang out together when no ones home? Also I'm a bit nervous to take care of a cat even though I love them and grew up with them. Almost my entire place is carpeted and I don't want cat pee all over.

I've been looking at the local human society site and a ton of cats are listed as being surrendered because of litterbox issues :(

edit:

Dragyn posted:

I'm no expert but have you watched her as she does her business and noticed anything off? Are the sides of the litter box pretty high? Maybe the cats getting old and having joint issues

Danith fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 9, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Danith posted:

Play with him/her before bed to tire them out.

Also, random stream of thoughts from me -
I just got my first (town)house after living in an apartment for 8 years that didn't allow pets. The HOA allows 2 pets, not to exceed 70lbs combined and my friend is planning on renting the other bedroom from me and has a black lab he will be bringing. Will a cat and a dog be ok to hang out together when no ones home? Also I'm a bit nervous to take care of a cat even though I love them and grew up with them. Almost my entire place is carpeted and I don't want cat pee all over.
Honestly, you can never really trust a cat and dog together by themselves. But you can reduce the odds of any issues to near zero by making sure the cat has safe spaces to retreat to, and maybe putting a pet gate so that there is separation. When we are out, dog stays in her room/office and the bedroom, and cat gets rest of house.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I have a long haired cat. As a responsible pet owner who doesn't want to deal with fleas, I treat my cat from March to October with Frontline bought from my vet. Unfortunately, I've had a problem with the Frontline dripping down his back and making a mess of his fur. Despite putting it between his shoulders, he usually manages to lick the spot where I have applied the Frontline. This last application (September 7th), I managed to apply the Frontline to a magical spot above his shoulders where he wasn't able to get it off.

Unfortunately, I came home from work Monday night to a cat with a big clump of messy fur. Seems like the Frontline melted and stuck in his fur as usual, and he used his back claws to scratch it out. After working on the spot with water, a Furminator and a flea comb, he now has a huge clump of fur missing from his back.

My question is thus: is it normal for Frontline to cause such a mess? I hold him down, part his fur and apply the Frontline to his skin. Unfortunately, no matter how careful I am it seems that it always clumps in his long, thick fur. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I just need to use a different type of flea preventative?

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Question: my cat is kind of keeping one eye closed, and is tearing up in that eye. He doesn't seem to be in any pain as far as I can tell, happy as a clam, and when I examined his eye it looks fine, not particularly red or anything.

I'm a new cat owner so I'm kind of worried. Is this a vet thing or not a vet thing?

edit: he's also not rubbing at the eye at all

HOW COULD YOU fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

mistressminako posted:

My question is thus: is it normal for Frontline to cause such a mess? I hold him down, part his fur and apply the Frontline to his skin. Unfortunately, no matter how careful I am it seems that it always clumps in his long, thick fur. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I just need to use a different type of flea preventative?

I would ask your vet about maybe trying revolution instead, we have two long haired jerks and it doesn't do anything like that to them.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Came back to my folks, my cat ran as soon as I got out of the car. :( She's so far, tonight, refused to come in at all. At least it's warm.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Danith posted:

edit:

I'm no expert but have you watched her as she does her business and noticed anything off? Are the sides of the litter box pretty high? Maybe the cats getting old and having joint issues

I haven't seen her, as she gets very nervous when approached, especially in the dead end where the boxes have always been.

She's only 4, and the sides of the box are about the same height as her legs. She gets around just fine, so I think we can safely rule out a mobility problem.

I'm gonna try putting one of the boxes in the corner here for a while and praying she doesn't take the opportunity to pee on the carpet again. What are the next steps, assuming she takes to the relocated box? My fiancée is not going to be ok with a little box in the bedroom in the long term.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Came back to my folks, my cat ran as soon as I got out of the car. :( She's so far, tonight, refused to come in at all. At least it's warm.

Aw no, that's horrible :( Hopefully she just needs a little time around you to recognise you again.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Sorry to dig up old posts, but I wanted this side-by-side because WOW. I've seen some transformations but this is the most impressive yet. Dr. Derek, you're doing the Lord's work.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ATP5G1 posted:

Sorry to dig up old posts, but I wanted this side-by-side because WOW. I've seen some transformations but this is the most impressive yet. Dr. Derek, you're doing the Lord's work.

Hell of a fixer upper job there.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Grrl Anachronism posted:

This happened to me after being gone for a few months. Cat hid from me for a few days, got over it, resumed being best cat ever.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

HOW COULD YOU posted:

my cat is kind of keeping one eye closed, and is tearing up in that eye.

That's actually how he's telling you that his eye hurts. Animals don't tend to rub when their eye hurts, but they'll squint. I'd go get it looked at.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Got it checked out, it looked worse this morning. Minor conjunctivitis, grabbed some eye drops and it should hopefully clear up soon.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
My cat has started acting really strange.

She's always been super laid back--we didn't get her a collar until she was 2 years old and her response was basically "Well, I guess this is a thing now"--but she's never been overly affectionate. Just laid back. You could pick her up and cradle her and things like that and she just puts up with it until it was over.

She's more affectionate with me than everyone else, but that just means that when I'm the only one in the house she'll flop down next to me for scratches and belly rubs. Oh, and she sleeps under our covers at night. I'm just trying to make sure I give enough info.

Over the past week she has become really, really clingy. If I'm in the house, she follows me around meowing. If I'm sitting down, she's next to me, butting my hand until I pet her. She'll crawl into my lap if I don't pet her fast enough, which she has never done in the past. I basically have a small furry shadow.

Nothing's changed in the house recently, besides her food (but it's a brand we've used before) and the only thing that's going to change is that I'm starting back to work next week.

What on earth could be going on?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Palisader posted:

She's always been super laid back--we didn't get her a collar until she was 2 years old and her response was basically "Well, I guess this is a thing now"--but she's never been overly affectionate. Just laid back. You could pick her up and cradle her and things like that and she just puts up with it until it was over.

She's more affectionate with me than everyone else, but that just means that when I'm the only one in the house she'll flop down next to me for scratches and belly rubs. Oh, and she sleeps under our covers at night. I'm just trying to make sure I give enough info.

Over the past week she has become really, really clingy. If I'm in the house, she follows me around meowing. If I'm sitting down, she's next to me, butting my hand until I pet her. She'll crawl into my lap if I don't pet her fast enough, which she has never done in the past. I basically have a small furry shadow.

Nothing's changed in the house recently, besides her food (but it's a brand we've used before) and the only thing that's going to change is that I'm starting back to work next week.

She knows you have a hidden genetic medical condition and are going to die soon.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Deteriorata posted:

She knows you have a hidden genetic medical condition and are going to die soon.

In that case you'd think she'd be quietly waiting for me to die in order to feast on my flesh.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Palisader posted:

Our cat (normally not very affectionate) gets cuddly when she's not feeling well. Allergies are really bad for all us this week so she's been extra snuggly. (Fentanyl will also make her REALLY cuddly. Maybe your cat has a secret opiod habit?)

Or it could just be that she sense your possible stress at the change and likes you enough to try to comfort you/convince you to stay. I did once have a cat that cared about me. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cats Are Weird #3227: Hope has decided she enjoys licking my feet and toes shortly after I remove me shoes and socks. :stare:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

effika posted:

Or it could just be that she sense your possible stress at the change and likes you enough to try to comfort you/convince you to stay. I did once have a cat that cared about me. :3:
She might be ill, but this is also a possibility - my normally quite distant cat* becomes very affectionate and wanders around after me being worried when I'm stressed out.

* She's sweet really, but not a lap cat. Likes sitting near me rather than on me for instance.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ciaphas posted:

Cats Are Weird #3227: Hope has decided she enjoys licking my feet and toes shortly after I remove me shoes and socks. :stare:
Your feet smell. For some reason cats like smelly feet.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Angrymog posted:

Your feet smell. For some reason cats like smelly feet.

Cats like stinkiness in general. It is both endearing and gross.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
I just wanna let y'all know that your pets are all pussys

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Nah I have a fish with a snail buddy, too.

My cats fight to the death to determine who gets to lay on my shoes when I come home. They don't give a poo poo about me coming back; they just want my shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

DaisyDanger posted:

Nah I have a fish with a snail buddy, too.

My cats fight to the death to determine who gets to lay on my shoes when I come home. They don't give a poo poo about me coming back; they just want my shoes.

Yup. I hear you there. My one kitty, Pixie, will stick her entire head inside my shoes, one after the other, (or my husbands shoes) and sit there sucking in the fumes. Then she yanks her head out and proceeds to roll all over them, making them hers apparently. Then she goes to the other shoe. This routine lasts through about 3 rounds of shoe snorting per shoe.

God forbid ANYONE (cats or people) interrupts her while she is getting her stinky shoe high on. It's not a pretty sight. The others have learned through many yowls/scratches/swats and bites that Pix does NOT get disturbed for anything while she is in the shoe-sniffing mood.

It's actually really funny to watch. She really gets into it too!