Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zereth posted:

I haven't actually looked this up, how did they?

Flat costs for everything, usually between 1 to 4 xp depending on the stat. Every time something narratively significant (resolving a flaw, accomplishing a goal, suffering a critical failure, etc.) happens to your character, take a Beat. Every 5 beats become 1 experience. You get a free Beat at the end of a game session. So you get around 1-2 xp per game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll admit I'm not sure what the virtue is of having two parallel systems for character advancement with different pricing schemes co-existing (and apparently both seeing use) in the same game.

Speaking of prices what was the tier reward you chose for the KS?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Flat costs for everything, usually between 1 to 4 xp depending on the stat. Every time something narratively significant (resolving a flaw, accomplishing a goal, suffering a critical failure, etc.) happens to your character, take a Beat. Every 5 beats become 1 experience. You get a free Beat at the end of a game session. So you get around 1-2 xp per game.

Of course that still has the WW 'Everyone has different amounts of XP' problem. I really don't like that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The book advises you to pool beats and give everyone 1xp as soon as the beat bucket contains (5*players) beats right in a sidebar.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Eh, that's not really a "White Wolf" problem so much as a thing that RPGs with XP breakdowns along "goals accomplished, setbacks suffered, brought chips to the game" guidelines can theoretically run into. You can wind up with divergent XP totals in Apocalypse World depending on how many 6- results someone rolls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zereth posted:

I remember hearing that, when it was first implemented in Vampire way back when, this was the intended result of it.

So in this case, the fence was put up for a bad reason. The "easier" argument only holds up if you ignore this part.
I think you're thinking of combat, which was supposed to be deliberately a pain in the rear end to encourage you to seek non-violent solutions and also because Mark Rein*Hagan (the * stands for The Foolishness Of Our Petty Names) probably was kind of a weirdo. What's that guy up to anyway

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Of course that still has the WW 'Everyone has different amounts of XP' problem. I really don't like that.

The system is built to encourage players to do stuff that gives beats. One example is the goals you set for your character: it's advised that players should have at least one goal that can attained within that game, and as characters achieve their goals they make up more. While you can end up with different levels of XP, I think it's a lot harder than with the previous version of the games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nessus posted:

I think you're thinking of combat, which was supposed to be deliberately a pain in the rear end to encourage you to seek non-violent solutions and also because Mark Rein*Hagan (the * stands for The Foolishness Of Our Petty Names) probably was kind of a weirdo. What's that guy up to anyway

Nah, this was a secondhand story I heard from somebody who talked to one of the devs for original Vampire in a bar I think. Goal was explicitly to make some characters more powerful than other, without being too obvious about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

Nah, this was a secondhand story I heard from somebody who talked to one of the devs for original Vampire in a bar I think. Goal was explicitly to make some characters more powerful than other, without being too obvious about it.
Well the obvious power disciplines were things like Presence even if they didn't help you resist a giant blood hurricane. Which character types were supposed to be better?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't think it was types, just that there were Good and Bad ways to spend your BP, which persists to this very day in Exalted.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
L

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
LNG

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Long...cat? Yes, it is long indeed, friendo.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure the organism exists that could do PR work on both.

I probably could. But I decided I'd rather reduce the total number of forums I frequent so I'd have more time for other things, instead.

(Hi! Just passing through, mostly I'm here on SA Trad Games to see if Chuubo's launch has generated any interesting discussion.)

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why not just 5-20 costs and 1xp per event?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

bondetamp posted:

Why not just 5-20 costs and 1xp per event?

For one thing, that doesn't work out nearly as cleanly when you're pooling Beats as a group and taking 1XP when there are 5*Players beats in the pool.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Flavivirus posted:

For one thing, that doesn't work out nearly as cleanly when you're increased the xp gain by the number of players? Beats as a group and taking 1XP when there are 5*Players beats in the pool.

Huh, so each player takes an xp point when there's five beats in the pool? Doesn't that mean you've just increased the xp gain by the number of players?

Am I missing something here?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bondetamp posted:

Huh, so each player takes an xp point when there's five beats in the pool? Doesn't that mean you've just increased the xp gain by the number of players?

Am I missing something here?

5 beats times the number of players.

When you have 20 beats in the pool, if you have four players, everybody gets an XP.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Prism posted:

5 beats times the number of players.

When you have 20 beats in the pool, if you have four players, everybody gets an XP.

Oh right. That makes more sense.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm so confused. Both hatewheel and Holden are being very clear in their stance with supporting feminism and progressive thinking on twitter......and yet they doubled down on rape ghosts being necessary to the game. I am curious what this will bring about in the final product.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
A while ago I decided that ditching XP and moving to flat cost BP was the right answer, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Essence, though, I would personally divorce from the rest of the advancement system and codify "Everyone goes up in Essence when it's time to go up in Essence" as an official rule. Grognards and people with really lovely GMs hate this, but I don't think those are good audiences for Exalted to court.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

A while ago I decided that ditching XP and moving to flat cost BP was the right answer, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Essence, though, I would personally divorce from the rest of the advancement system and codify "Everyone goes up in Essence when it's time to go up in Essence" as an official rule. Grognards and people with really lovely GMs hate this, but I don't think those are good audiences for Exalted to court.

Essence barely matters in Ex3 for Solars because everything is E3 or below and most games will start at E2.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Been doing that for a while, I would also hand out dots in certain abilities to players for going outside of their comfort zones in games, the sail-less Dawn grabbing the wheel of the skiff to ram the undead sky-whale being ridden by the daybreak gets a free dot of sail at the end of the session, and I try to dole them out evenly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I'd have to concur. Essence is such an important stat that when to improve it becomes an important chunk of system mastery, and honestly it's a boring trait to save up your XP for. Making numbers go bigger or unlock purchase gates is generally boring to me; unlocking some new option or making new tactics or combos viable is more exciting. Back in 2e, the first thing I'd buy up in cgen if allowed is Essence, because it's boring and buying it up later is boring. It's my RPG equivalent of eating all the cooked cabbage first so that everything I eat after that is delicious pork chop.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm so confused. Both hatewheel and Holden are being very clear in their stance with supporting feminism and progressive thinking on twitter......and yet they doubled down on rape ghosts being necessary to the game. I am curious what this will bring about in the final product.

The result will be bikini-witches and the claim that anyone who complains about the bikini-witches are slut-shaming sexist rear end in a top hat prudes who objectify women.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Turns out self-claiming to be an ally on social media doesn't actually mean poo poo!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Actions speak louder than tweets.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I think that they were genuine when they went on the whole "the ravishment ghosts are for seduction, not for rape" thing, and that their crime was basically 1) getting incredibly defensive 2) being incredibly bad at communication and 3) not actively thinking things through enough, which will result in some pretty lovely things being done by default. None of that particularly bodes well for third edition (though maybe they learned some important lessons upfront?) but I don't see it as at all incompatible with being sincerely outraged by the Zoey Quinn stuff et al.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
#SolarGate #NotYourPerfect

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Oligopsony posted:

I think that they were genuine when they went on the whole "the ravishment ghosts are for seduction, not for rape" thing, and that their crime was basically 1) getting incredibly defensive 2) being incredibly bad at communication and 3) not actively thinking things through enough, which will result in some pretty lovely things being done by default. None of that particularly bodes well for third edition (though maybe they learned some important lessons upfront?) but I don't see it as at all incompatible with being sincerely outraged by the Zoey Quinn stuff et al.

Wasn't it here where Holden got real mad at people confusing "REAL" Rape with only sort of kind of rape but it's cool it's not actually rape? Actually, haven't I asked that in the thread already too?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wasn't it here where Holden got real mad at people confusing "REAL" Rape with only sort of kind of rape but it's cool it's not actually rape? Actually, haven't I asked that in the thread already too?

It was "the shadow or implication of rape". By his own words, it was trying to avoid "projectile rape-ghosts" and tack towards the sort of Victorian bodice-rippers that were contemporaneous with the original Dracula. What he missed was the reason that this didn't really work - which is to say that the source material in question was still really goddamn rapey, because for whatever hosed-up reason rape was considered less-taboo in Victorian Britain (to say nothing of much of Western Europe circa the Renaissance and for a long time after) than consensual intercourse.

Also, sending ghosts to Haunt and SeduceTM people could only be done if you'd already afflicted them with the charm that magic-roofie'd them so they couldn't spend WP to turn down your advances, so it was still rape, just the kind that vast, shameful swaths of society like to pretend isn't.

Also also, placing sex-mojo alongside Weapon Focus and Toughness in the character options section sends a pretty skeevy message about game tone. I mean it's something that's at best seriously awkward and uncomfortable, and even Monsterhearts neatly partitions that stuff into its own corner of the book along with a multi-page lecture on how not to table-creep.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mr. Maltose posted:

This thread is the Old Faithful of Rape Ghosts, so probably. Check back in exactly three days for someone else posting "Rape ghosts?"

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Like I hate to be at this point because I loved loved loved first edition, but as of right now the developers of Exalted are frankly pretty stupid.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Okay, ew, yeah, I was being way too charitable.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Thesaurasaurus posted:

It was "the shadow or implication of rape". By his own words, it was trying to avoid "projectile rape-ghosts" and tack towards the sort of Victorian bodice-rippers that were contemporaneous with the original Dracula. What he missed was the reason that this didn't really work - which is to say that the source material in question was still really goddamn rapey, because for whatever hosed-up reason rape was considered less-taboo in Victorian Britain (to say nothing of much of Western Europe circa the Renaissance and for a long time after) than consensual intercourse.

"A woman being raped" being less taboo to depict than "a woman happily having consensual intercourse (not purely for procreation within the bounds of holy matrimony)" is the obvious, tragic and inevitable result of regressive and patriarchal sexual culture - just look at modern Japan (Anime joke in Exalted thread).

Has the setting ever even held any cultures adhering to hyper-neurotic Victorian sexual morality, beyond a basic kitchen-sink possibility of replicating any period of human history?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

anti_strunt posted:

Has the setting ever even held any cultures adhering to hyper-neurotic Victorian sexual morality, beyond a basic kitchen-sink possibility of replicating any period of human history?

To my knowledge, only Coral, which is also hypercapitalist (rulership is by winning bid) and socially-Darwinist. Both are encouraged by the local wood elementals, to say nothing of the Storm Mothers who bar women from sailing across the West, but I seem to recall Coral owing a lot to IRL Britain (or at least the Regency through the Victorian period) for its social mores and other bits of fluff writing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

To my knowledge, only Coral, which is also hypercapitalist (rulership is by winning bid) and socially-Darwinist. Both are encouraged by the local wood elementals, to say nothing of the Storm Mothers who bar women from sailing across the West, but I seem to recall Coral owing a lot to IRL Britain (or at least the Regency through the Victorian period) for its social mores and other bits of fluff writing.
Yeah Coral seemed to be half the UK and half Port Royal.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Guys the rulebook doesn't literally say "Hold you down and stick it in" so I don't know what the big deal is tbh. I mean if you look at the ilustrations, they were clearly asking for a ravishing by dressing like that, anyway.

I'm glad Mage 2.0 is looking cool, at least :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/news/g541f675fa8e3c/Kickstarter-creators-now-required-to-complete-projects/

*camera turns to a Morke visibly gulping*

• Locked thread