Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

LordGugs posted:

It actually appears in every bookmark I think my game is replacing the province that is supposed to be there with the eastern one. I feel really dumb but I don't know if I have the right checksum...

This is probably it, actually. The Pecheneg province in vanilla uses the same ID as Comminges in southern France on the CK2+ map, so if the mod isn't being loaded properly this is exactly what should happen. I'd do a clean reinstall of the mod, following the instructions from the thread OP (delete the existing CK2Plus mod folder and CK2Plus.mod file, reinstall them from the downloaded archive, into the mod folder in Documents/Paradox/CK2) then check your bookmarks again.

Also, the checksum appears in the lower left hand corner of the main menu screen, it'll be four letters just after the game version number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is there any way to remove the Decadent trait from your character? Apparently going on Hajj removes it but my guy had already been to Mecca. I had stacks of piety and prestige so that didn't seem to matter, and there wasn't an event in the plot menu or a decision on the intrigue screen that I could see. Ramadan didn't remove it, and neither did donating to charity.

Seams fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 8, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I absolutely have to be missing some mechanic that was added to the game at some point. No matter what county I attack, no matter how small or if I raided them or they have no levy otherwise, as soon as I declare conquest on them as a Norse they immediately pull out a gigantic stack that's 2x bigger than anything I have. They are literally pulling troops out of thin air, and I can't figure out WHERE they are coming from. It's definitely not an ally or anything like that.

Do you just get a big stack of troops when Norse try to use conquest on you now or something?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Mercenaries?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I absolutely have to be missing some mechanic that was added to the game at some point. No matter what county I attack, no matter how small or if I raided them or they have no levy otherwise, as soon as I declare conquest on them as a Norse they immediately pull out a gigantic stack that's 2x bigger than anything I have. They are literally pulling troops out of thin air, and I can't figure out WHERE they are coming from. It's definitely not an ally or anything like that.

Do you just get a big stack of troops when Norse try to use conquest on you now or something?

Are you sure they're not holy orders? The AI loves them because they're free for defensive wars.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's very possible, is there any way I can see what holy orders are available to someone? I'm assuming if I check the name of the stack it'll probably be pretty obvious it's a holy order too right?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Zip posted:

Feh.
My back hurts too much these days to sit in a desk chair and use the computer. I got a new chair, still killing me. I can get like 20 minutes of CK2 in before I have to get up and go lay on the couch. I find myself playing console games and longing for a decent strategy game on them.

I wish paradox had a grand strategy game on iPad so I could lounge around comfortably and play that.

Hurry up technology. I need a more portable CK2 and EU4. Maybe a Steam machine is my only hope. :(

It probably runs on some Win8 tablets.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's very possible, is there any way I can see what holy orders are available to someone? I'm assuming if I check the name of the stack it'll probably be pretty obvious it's a holy order too right?

If it has an unusual unit composition, almost entirely HI and HC then it's probably a holy order. Watch out for the HC, they're murder on armies early in the game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
If I start a game on vanilla, can I switch over in the middle to CK2+?

Xaioxaiofan
May 14, 2014

Lareine posted:

If I start a game on vanilla, can I switch over in the middle to CK2+?
No, as CK2+ has a different map and title setup.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If they have 250+ piety it's highly likely they're gonna be able to pull a holy order stack out of their rear end.

Also yeah, if the stack is lead by someone called "Grandmaster X" or something similar, it's a holy order stack.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

A buddy of mine has been watching an AI game, and this happened

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hungary still takes the cake for ridiculous free stacks, aren't they supposed to lose their 20K free, attrition-immune units after they settle down as Magyars?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

THE BAR posted:

Hungary still takes the cake for ridiculous free stacks, aren't they supposed to lose their 20K free, attrition-immune units after they settle down as Magyars?

Once you click "Form Hungary", your original horde disappears and is replaced by 3 spawned stacks whose size is scaled depending on how big your total levies are, I believe. At least, I hovered over the "Form Hungary" decision several times as I was conquering, and I noticed that the spawned stacks were increasing as I conquered more territory.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DrSunshine posted:

Once you click "Form Hungary", your original horde disappears and is replaced by 3 spawned stacks whose size is scaled depending on how big your total levies are, I believe. At least, I hovered over the "Form Hungary" decision several times as I was conquering, and I noticed that the spawned stacks were increasing as I conquered more territory.

I've never played as Hungary, I just know that you shouldn't mess with them, unless you're an emperor or equally over the curve.

It all just seems a bit insurmountable and excessive, that's all.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What decides who you can nominate for Elective Succession?

i.e. How far away can people be, blood-relation-wise, to your current ruler?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

THE BAR posted:

Sadly they fixed the bug where you could take the decision multiple times. But the troops you gain are based on your current max levy. So if you hold off on the decision it can be much much larger.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

This is correct, and the fact that I've used the Magyars start to restore Rome in just over 20 years should tell you just how incredibly powerful that start is.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Fuuuuuuck, I had a great ironman game going as the Byzantium Empire and one I really enjoyed. And now when I tried to load it up it just says broken savegame... Is there anything I can do?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

alcaras posted:

I believe potential heir has to be the child or the sibling of the current ruler, or a past ruler, or they need to be a landed vassal high enough to vote, so a count in a kingdom or a duke in an empire.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

alcaras posted:

You can nominate any of your siblings, children, grandchildren, or nieces/nephews, as well as any dynasty members who hold elector titles.

Pester posted:

I believe potential heir has to be the child or the sibling of the current ruler, or a past ruler, or they need to be a landed vassal high enough to vote, so a count in a kingdom or a duke in an empire.

Counts actually only vote in elective duchies. Anything higher is dukes (plus kings in empires).

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Bought this game in the Humble Bundle and just finished up my first playthrough--with the Ua Briains I carved an empire from Alba through France and Hispania and holy warred my way from Tangiers to Alexandria.

What's a good project for my next playthrough? Healing the Great Schism sounds fun but daunting. Creating an organized Norse religion really tickles my alt-history funnybone but they're apparently stupid powerful? Then there's kicking rear end in India or the Middle East... I just have no idea where to start at all.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HaitianDivorce posted:

Creating an organized Norse religion really tickles my alt-history funnybone but they're apparently stupid powerful?

Depends on the start. Any empire that gets big enough will become stupid powerful, it's really about how they get there that's the big appeal. With reforming Norse you can start as Harald Fairhair and do it in a decade or two, but you could also start as Jorvik or Mann or the like, which would be a much tougher starting point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Depends on the start. Any empire that gets big enough will become stupid powerful, it's really about how they get there that's the big appeal. With reforming Norse you can start as Harald Fairhair and do it in a decade or two, but you could also start as Jorvik or Mann or the like, which would be a much tougher starting point.

Jorvick is one of the easier ones, the only downside is that you've already used your invasion. It was much easier pre-roi, because you could just hold the entire British Isles as your personal desmesne.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

alcaras posted:

Any close relatives (so the thick blood icon), du jure land holders, I think dudes with claims.

I've noticed grandchildren can't be nominated if their eligible parent is alive as well. I got around that one by giving the kid an eligible title.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HaitianDivorce posted:

Bought this game in the Humble Bundle and just finished up my first playthrough--with the Ua Briains I carved an empire from Alba through France and Hispania and holy warred my way from Tangiers to Alexandria.

What's a good project for my next playthrough? Healing the Great Schism sounds fun but daunting. Creating an organized Norse religion really tickles my alt-history funnybone but they're apparently stupid powerful? Then there's kicking rear end in India or the Middle East... I just have no idea where to start at all.

The thing that makes reformed Norse "stupid powerful" is being the head of your own religion, allowing you to direct your own crusade equivalent, instead of waiting for some chump in a hat to pick a place at random to start a fight in. But honestly that's not much of a big deal since you can't actually fight Great Holy Wars until something like 1100 (maybe a way to unlock them earlier is available), and by that point you can easily have a big empire going anyway that Great Holy Wars don't add over much to your power.

You can, however, quickly break the game over your knee as a Norse character if you know what you are doing: if you start as one of the British Norse characters, such as Ivar the Boneless, you can, with skill and luck, conquer enough of Britain in a short enough space of time to declare yourself Emperor before the kingdoms of Norway, Sweden and Denmark form. If you can do this, and get a land border with at least one landholder in Scandinavia, most of the Dukes will swear fealty to you, allowing you to instantly reform the Norse faith and have an empire that covers the British Isles and Scandinavia. At this point you are definitely Stupid Powerful, but actually achieving that in one lifetime is a worthy challenge in itself, even if you don't keep playing past that point due to how easy it is.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there something special I need to do to activate Great Holy Wars as a Zoroastrian? I re-founded the church, but I don't see any option for a Great Holy War, either when interacting with the Moabadan-Moabad or with my targets. Do I need to become Saoshyant or something?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:911:

The kepi and mail look good together. Sometimes contributers from the Paradox forums can make some good stuff like that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Is there something special I need to do to activate Great Holy Wars as a Zoroastrian? I re-founded the church, but I don't see any option for a Great Holy War, either when interacting with the Moabadan-Moabad or with my targets. Do I need to become Saoshyant or something?

Nope, they activate as soon as the Moabadan-Moabad is restored (they don't give an message indicating this). The problem is that the M-M has a low chance of calling a GHW if you already control the de jure Persian Empire. He can call them for a number of other kingdoms, but tends to take a long time in order to do so.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Also, the religious head needs to have land holdings in order to declare GHWs. It's possible for the restored Moabadan-Moabad to just get the titular religious head title without an actual temple holding so, yaknow, give them one if it turns out they don't.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What determines whether or not I can sacrifice people to Kali? I've got dungeons filled to the brim, but only ever kill goats. I need HUMAN blood to fuel this war machine!

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Reveilled posted:

since you can't actually fight Great Holy Wars until something like 1100 (maybe a way to unlock them earlier is available)

Norse (and other pagan) GHWs will become available early if both crusades and jihads have been unlocked. For reformed pagans only of course.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

edit: whoops, misread something here.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

What determines whether or not I can sacrifice people to Kali? I've got dungeons filled to the brim, but only ever kill goats. I need HUMAN blood to fuel this war machine!

You can't sacrifice humans if your ruler has the kind trait.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mister Adequate posted:

Really? I always falter as Harald because either I play it safe in uniting as much of Scandinavia as I can before declaring on the Karling blobs that all drag each other into prepared invasions (and thus get the holy sites but don't have enough moral authority for a reform because in the mean time all the AI fucks have lost a bunch of holy wars)--or I jump too early and the Karlings just steamroll the population of Scandinavia.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reveilled posted:

The thing that makes reformed Norse "stupid powerful" is being the head of your own religion, allowing you to direct your own crusade equivalent, instead of waiting for some chump in a hat to pick a place at random to start a fight in. But honestly that's not much of a big deal since you can't actually fight Great Holy Wars until something like 1100 (maybe a way to unlock them earlier is available), and by that point you can easily have a big empire going anyway that Great Holy Wars don't add over much to your power.

:smug: Unless you start as Erik the Heathen and you use you first Great Holy War to cripple the much larger HRE by sniping Frisia. :smug:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

marktheando posted:

You can't sacrifice humans if your ruler has the kind trait.

Time to make sure my child learns the proper ways. I'm sick of being kind!

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

Really? I always falter as Harald because either I play it safe in uniting as much of Scandinavia as I can before declaring on the Karling blobs that all drag each other into prepared invasions (and thus get the holy sites but don't have enough moral authority for a reform because in the mean time all the AI fucks have lost a bunch of holy wars)--or I jump too early and the Karlings just steamroll the population of Scandinavia.

Eh, none of independent norse duke starts in 867 are really hard. I'd put Fairhair as one of the easiest since you can gobble up land and form a kingdom pretty quick and nobody is really going to come after you being surrounded by norse pagans... I've put myself on the the throne of the Byzantine Empire in the 2nd generation pretty easily starting as Fairhair. The ones in the British isles are no brainers since that is one of the safest and easiest places to expand and you start with a shitload of troops. You can include Haesteinn here too. The ones staring in Russia have tons of easy expansion, Dyre has to be careful about sharing borders with Hungary because they always seem to come after your land instead of weaker neighbours, but Khazaria usually makes a good invasion target. Really I'd say snake-in-the-eye has it the toughest since Jylland might actually put up a fight and if you do take him you now share borders with the Karling blob. Worst case though you can solve that by subjugating someone in Norway, moving your capital there and pretending to be Fairhair. Once you get enough land as anyone and your retinues kick in its easy mode, if there aren't any good conquest targets then you are just raiding for fat loot.

e: Reforming is really not a big deal until you get to the point where there is nobody on the world map worth fighting over a single county

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 9, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Okay so it turns out that yes, taking your daughter as a concubine is a thing that you can do as Zoroastrians, yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I haven't played CK2 in like 4 or 5 months and I wanted to get back into it. Decided to start as Ivar the Boneless for a pretty easy going time. I noticed I seem to have a lot of sons and I am wondering what the best way of eliminating some of them is to deal with succession issues / gavelkind. I have not played in some time as I said and my skills are a bit rusty when it comes to these matters.

• Locked thread