Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tehan posted:

Ralph Cerminara got a write-up on a site dedicated to documenting 'military imposters' here. Considering he's constantly trying to use his military service (such as it was) to lend weight to his crusade, it's pretty damning.

There's a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

open24hours posted:

The Greens have an actual policy platform available on their website even three years out from an election. Seems to work OK for them.
Mostly because nobody reads it. Everyone I ever talk to thinks the Greens are radical tree-huggers whose crazy policies could never be implemented. Their policies are more popular when discussed in isolation from the party.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fruity Gordo posted:

Speaking of gutless, where did Arbib slither off to?

Dunno, I guess we'll see him pop up in Icac one day

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Tehan posted:

That's one hell of an autocorrect gently caress-up :stare:

Ralph Cerminara got a write-up on a site dedicated to documenting 'military imposters' here. Considering he's constantly trying to use his military service (such as it was) to lend weight to his crusade, it's pretty damning.

Ralph "a bloke too poo poo to be a murderer" Cerminara.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

open24hours posted:

The Greens have an actual policy platform available on their website even three years out from an election. Seems to work OK for them.

Difference is Greens aren't a pack of inconsistent, incompetent fuckwits, except for a couple of senators who will remain unnamed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In another brilliant move, the ALP is not contesting the by election in the seat of Vasse.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Frogmanv2 posted:

In another brilliant move, the ALP is not contesting the by election in the seat of Vasse.

These figures don't look too appealing for them. After preferences,ouch
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/wa/2013/guide/vass.htm

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

webmeister posted:

Unless you're John Hewson, in which case it's fatal.
Auspol circa 1993: the tories have a 650 page economic/fiscal policy document (fightback)
Auspol circa 2013: the tories have a 12 page pamphlet about 'Our Plans'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Who Votes posted:

#Essential Poll

Primary Votes: L/NP 39 (-1) ALP 38 (0) GRN 10 (+1) PUP 4 (-1)
2 Party Preferred: L/NP 48 (0) ALP 52 (0)

Abbott: Approve 35 (-2) Disapprove 52 (-2)
Shorten: Approve 35 (+1) Disapprove 36 (-4)

Preferred PM: Abbott 35 (-2) Shorten 36 (0)

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is the opposition leader's approval always that bad when you have a PM that's widely disliked or is it just a case of Shorten being poo poo?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Is the opposition leader's approval always that bad when you have a PM that's widely disliked or is it just a case of Shorten being poo poo?

I'm not sure about Essential's figures specifically, but Opposition Leaders can and have had much, much lower figures.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten will always be nothing more than Union scum with bloody hands who will do nothing more than govern exactly like the Liberals do.

Albo was real change, the real deal and I'm eternally sad until it happens.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ragingsheep posted:

Bill Shorten is currently known for:
- Being accused of rape
-

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten will always be nothing more than Union scum with bloody hands who will do nothing more than govern exactly like the Liberals do.

Albo was real change, the real deal and I'm eternally sad until it happens.

Albo voted to lock children up indefinitely in tropical concentration camps.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

Albo voted to lock children up indefinitely in tropical concentration camps.

Not saying he's without his stains but hey, beats Bubble O Bill

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Splode posted:

Bill Shorten is currently known for:
- Being accused of rape
-

- Knifing Rudd, Gillard.

Maybe one day he will have the decency to knife the current leader too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

- Checking his notes to see what he believes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kevin Bonham (in 2011) on polling when both leaders are unpopular.

Anidav posted:

- Checking his notes to see what he believes.
Rudd wanting to conduct a poll to find out what his core belief should be is one of the funniest things in Australia politics.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ler posted:

These figures don't look too appealing for them. After preferences,ouch
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/wa/2013/guide/vass.htm

Yeah, but with Troy being a stinker, and the feds doing their best to poo poo it up from afar, this is a good opportunity to grab a seat.

I suppose at least the greens will get a bump due to being the only progressive party in the running.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I got the impression it was a massively conservative seat?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I got the impression it was a massively conservative seat?

I had region described to me as "god's waiting room". It's full of rich old anglo retirees who have moved there because it's still an 'Australian' country town, unlike the Perth they grew up in.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

Yeah, but with Troy being a stinker, and the feds doing their best to poo poo it up from afar, this is a good opportunity to grab a seat.

I suppose at least the greens will get a bump due to being the only progressive party in the running.

By all accounts Buswell was still very popular in Vasse. Better to let the Nationals and Liberals fight it out, especially given that relations between the two have bottomed out in WA.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

According to the WA Electoral Commission the closest races in Vasse in the past 25 years have been between Buswell and an ex-Liberal MP, and that ex-Liberal MP a Nat candidate.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

For those playing at home, Vasse is part of the Western Australian South West wine and tourism region. Populated by wineries and their owners, and seachange retirees. Minor hippie population but overall the likelihood of anybody who identifies with the working class getting anywhere near the seat is laughable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Les Affaires posted:

For those playing at home, Vasse is part of the Western Australian South West wine and tourism region. Populated by wineries and their owners, and seachange retirees. Minor hippie population but overall the likelihood of anybody who identifies with the working class getting anywhere near the seat is laughable.

Is that proposed Margret River coal mine causing any political unrest down that way?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

And the seat has been liberal since it was created in 1950. I'd still have thought that a by-election would be a good opportunity to blood some campaigners, even from elsewhere in the state.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 9, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

'Yeah, but I just said that to get elected.'

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fruity Gordo posted:

Speaking of gutless, where did Arbib slither off to?

Working for James Packer haha.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Can somebody explain to me how the hierarchy of bank ownership works in Australia? For example, why does Westpac own Bank of Melbourne, BankSA, St. George etc, and not just merge them into one, rather than have them all competing for business? Also why does our regulatory system allow the big four to buy all the other banks?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
"I don't want to bank with a big bank who doesn't care about me, so I bank with my local bank instead."

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Haters Objector posted:

Can somebody explain to me how the hierarchy of bank ownership works in Australia? For example, why does Westpac own Bank of Melbourne, BankSA, St. George etc, and not just merge them into one, rather than have them all competing for business? Also why does our regulatory system allow the big four to buy all the other banks?

If they're anything like Bankwest, those banks that were created through an act of parliament are therefore regulated by that act. Bankwest has changed hands a number of times but has effectively remained a separate entity.

There is some brand advantage to keeping the same name / identity of a local bank, but I think the enacting laws are the primary driver.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

QandA posted:

Suzanne Cory - Molecular Biologist & Boyer lecturer
Peter Doherty - Nobel Prize Winning Immunologist
Brian Schmidt - Nobel Prize Winning Astrophysicist
Marita Cheng - Engineer and founder of Robogals
Ian Chubb - Australia’s Chief Scientist
Might be worth a look for a change.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
I'm amazed we still have a Chief Scientist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

I'm amazed we still have a Chief Scientist.
Me too.

One of the previous ones was essentially a mining industry lobbyist. Not sure what the current one is like, his bio seems solid though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Me too.

One of the previous ones was essentially a mining industry lobbyist. Not sure what the current one is like, his bio seems solid though.

I saw him write a reasonable article for the guardian recently

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh cool.

Robogals isnt the horrible thing that such a name conjured.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Might be worth a look for a change.

Only if you want to be further depressed about the state of affairs in this country

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Only if you want to be further depressed about the state of affairs in this country

I post in this thread, don't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Haters Objector posted:

There isn't really much competition between them, the Bank of Melbourne is just St. George's brand in Victoria. Same applies with BankSA, which St. George bought out in the 90's and just keeps it around as branding in SA. Which is why I can get my BoM card on a BankSA letterhead inside a St. George envelope.

There was a plan to merge all the St George accounts into Westpac, but it was going to be a gigantic nightmare on all fronts so Westpac gave up and decided to keep them separate.

• Locked thread